Global warming

Comments

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    eddiec said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

Wow! Talk about some unpleasant effects from global warming!

http://news.yahoo.com/intolerable-unimaginable-heat-forecast-persian-gulf-162008639.html

An intolerable unimaginable heat forecast for Persian Gulf

"WASHINGTON (AP) — If carbon dioxide emissions continue at their current pace, by the end of century parts of the Persian Gulf will sometimes be just too hot for the human body to tolerate, a new study says.

How hot? The heat index — which combines heat and humidity — may hit 165 to 170 degrees (74 to 77 Celsius) for at least six hours, according to numerous computer simulations in the new study. That's so hot that the human body can't get rid of heat. The elderly and ill are hurt most by current heat waves, but the future is expected to be so hot that healthy, fit people would be endangered, health experts say.

"You can go to a wet sauna and put the temperature up to 35 (Celsius or 95 degrees Fahrenheit) or so. You can bear it for a while, now think of that at an extended exposure" of six or more hours, said study co-author Elfatih Eltahir, an MIT environmental engineering professor.

While humans have been around, Earth has not seen that type of prolonged, oppressive combination of heat and humidity, Eltahir said. But with the unique geography and climate of the Persian Gulf and increased warming projected if heat-trapping gas emissions continue to rise at current rates, it will happen every decade or so by the end of the century, according to the study published Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change.

This would be the type of heat that would make deadly heat wave in Europe in 2003 that killed more than 70,000 people "look like a refreshing day or event," said study co-author Jeremy Pal of Loyola Marymount University

It would still be rare, and cities such as Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Doha wouldn't quite be uninhabitable, thanks to air conditioning. But for people living and working outside or those with no air conditioning, it would be intolerable, said Eltahir and Pal. While Mecca won't be quite as hot, the heat will likely still cause many deaths during the annual hajj pilgrimage, Eltahir said.

"Some of the scariest prospects from a changing clime involve conditions completely outside the range of human experience," Carnegie Institute for Science climate researcher Chris Field, who wasn't part of the study, wrote in an email. "If we don't limit climate change to avoid extreme heat or mugginess, the people in these regions will likely need to find other places to live."

Said Dr. Howard Frumkin, dean of the University of Washington school of public health, who wasn't part of the research: "When the ambient temperatures are extremely high, as projected in this paper, then exposed people can and do die. The implication s of this paper for the Gulf region are frightening."

But if the world limits future heat-trapping gas emissions — even close to the amount pledged recently by countries around the world ahead of climate talks later this year in Paris — that intolerable level of heat can be avoided, Eltahir said."

David Roberts, a self-described climate hawk, explains why you probably shouldn't worry:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/23/9604120/climate-models-uncertainty

If this guy can recognize the uncertainty in the models maybe we all should.
    I'm not worried for me, I'll probably be dead before the shit hits the fan. But I am concerned for my kids and their kids. These climate denials have been addressed here already. I knew I should have let this pass.
    David Roberts believes we are doomed. He just has a problem with some of the models.
    http://grist.org/climate-change/climate-change-is-simple-we-do-something-or-were-screwed/

Exactly. Roberts is the furthest thing from a denier. He has slowly come to the realization though that the models are wrong.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    BS44325 said:

eddiec said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

Wow! Talk about some unpleasant effects from global warming!

http://news.yahoo.com/intolerable-unimaginable-heat-forecast-persian-gulf-162008639.html

An intolerable unimaginable heat forecast for Persian Gulf

"WASHINGTON (AP) — If carbon dioxide emissions continue at their current pace, by the end of century parts of the Persian Gulf will sometimes be just too hot for the human body to tolerate, a new study says.

How hot? The heat index — which combines heat and humidity — may hit 165 to 170 degrees (74 to 77 Celsius) for at least six hours, according to numerous computer simulations in the new study. That's so hot that the human body can't get rid of heat. The elderly and ill are hurt most by current heat waves, but the future is expected to be so hot that healthy, fit people would be endangered, health experts say.

"You can go to a wet sauna and put the temperature up to 35 (Celsius or 95 degrees Fahrenheit) or so. You can bear it for a while, now think of that at an extended exposure" of six or more hours, said study co-author Elfatih Eltahir, an MIT environmental engineering professor.

While humans have been around, Earth has not seen that type of prolonged, oppressive combination of heat and humidity, Eltahir said. But with the unique geography and climate of the Persian Gulf and increased warming projected if heat-trapping gas emissions continue to rise at current rates, it will happen every decade or so by the end of the century, according to the study published Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change.

This would be the type of heat that would make deadly heat wave in Europe in 2003 that killed more than 70,000 people "look like a refreshing day or event," said study co-author Jeremy Pal of Loyola Marymount University

It would still be rare, and cities such as Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Doha wouldn't quite be uninhabitable, thanks to air conditioning. But for people living and working outside or those with no air conditioning, it would be intolerable, said Eltahir and Pal. While Mecca won't be quite as hot, the heat will likely still cause many deaths during the annual hajj pilgrimage, Eltahir said.

"Some of the scariest prospects from a changing clime involve conditions completely outside the range of human experience," Carnegie Institute for Science climate researcher Chris Field, who wasn't part of the study, wrote in an email. "If we don't limit climate change to avoid extreme heat or mugginess, the people in these regions will likely need to find other places to live."

Said Dr. Howard Frumkin, dean of the University of Washington school of public health, who wasn't part of the research: "When the ambient temperatures are extremely high, as projected in this paper, then exposed people can and do die. The implication s of this paper for the Gulf region are frightening."

But if the world limits future heat-trapping gas emissions — even close to the amount pledged recently by countries around the world ahead of climate talks later this year in Paris — that intolerable level of heat can be avoided, Eltahir said."

David Roberts, a self-described climate hawk, explains why you probably shouldn't worry:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/23/9604120/climate-models-uncertainty

If this guy can recognize the uncertainty in the models maybe we all should.
    I'm not worried for me, I'll probably be dead before the shit hits the fan. But I am concerned for my kids and their kids. These climate denials have been addressed here already. I knew I should have let this pass.
    David Roberts believes we are doomed. He just has a problem with some of the models.
    http://grist.org/climate-change/climate-change-is-simple-we-do-something-or-were-screwed/

Exactly. Roberts is the furthest thing from a denier. He has slowly come to the realization though that the models are wrong.
    If you check out realclimate.org (definitely one of the best places to look for solid scientific research on climate) you'll notice scientists often agree that the models have a margin of error. After following this stuff for about 25 years it looks to me like global warming is occurring faster and more strongly than was predicted. In fact, I'll go as far as to say this is the broadly accepted view point.

But the bottom line is the time to argue over the details is long gone. What is needed now is fast action to slow the warming, a concentrated effort to slow population growth, and to take some time to make reasonable personal preparations help your kids plan for how best to deal with these changes. I'm not saying we should live in fear or be overly obsessed with this, but rather use common sense and do what makes the most sense.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,822
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Read that gf.^^^^^
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2015
    Never was quite convinced that this global warming was human driven.
    I read this article awhile ago. Resonates with me.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140411153453.htm
  • Options
    Driven? Prob not.
    Significant contributor? Absolutely.

• Options
    The vast majority of published scientists are going with the "anthropogenic global warming" scenario, not for political reasons, or because they are being dramatic or pessimistic but because they are scientists doing science. That simple.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mickeyrat said:

Read that gf.

the link would not come up I'll try again soon.

Godfather.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

Never was quite convinced that this global warming was human driven.
    I read this article awhile ago. Resonates with me.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140411153453.htm

Did you read the article? Did you understand the article? I think not based on your skepticism that global warming is not human driven.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    people also talk about the vast size of the universe and with all that space there must be someone else out there...I don't believe climate change is man driven either, not to say we haven't made a mess for sure but as far changing our climate I doubt it.

Godfather.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

people also talk about the vast size of the universe and with all that space there must be someone else out there...I don't believe climate change is man driven either, not to say we haven't made a mess for sure but as far changing our climate I doubt it.

Godfather.

Bacteria changed our climate. Forests changed our climate.
    Why not humans?
    What makes you doubt it? A guy feeling? A guess?

Science is a little more reliable.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Godfather.

Why not humans?

without doubt an uneducated opinion I admit, I just look at climate patters starting before the industrial age and see nothing that has not happened naturally, storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding it was just as severe back then as it is now but air pollution is nasty side effect of man's progress thru the years but I just don't think it has been nasty enough to change the climate...remember that's just my opinion.

Godfather.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

Godfather.

It's not that hard to change the climate. You know the whole Paleo diet craze? If the population of the US all went Paleo we would use up planetary resources (especially fresh water) and it would directly impact climate change. This planet would not survive 50 years if the whole world went Paleo. And that is from a diet that encourages eating only meat and vegetables just like we did when we were hunter-gatherers.
  • Options
    eddiec said:

Godfather.

It's not that hard to change the climate. You know the whole Paleo diet craze? If the population of the US all went Paleo we would use up planetary resources (especially fresh water) and it would directly impact climate change. This planet would not survive 50 years if the whole world went Paleo. And that is from a diet that encourages eating only meat and vegetables just like we did when we were hunter-gatherers.
    thank goodness for Hostess and little Debbie ! lol !

Godfather.

• Options
    eddiec said:

Godfather.

First we'll eat all the mammals, then all the birds and then the reptiles and then the bugs and then the microbes, head lice and then...

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

... and then AND ONLY THEN, Godfather, are you allowed to have your Hostess and Little Debbie treats... and not a minute sooner!

• Options
    brianlux said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

First we'll eat all the mammals, then all the birds and then the reptiles and then the bugs and then the microbes, head lice and then...

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

... and then AND ONLY THEN, Godfather, are you allowed to have your Hostess and Little Debbie treats... and not a minute sooner!
    HAHHAHHAHHA I will wait patiently my friend.....I'll save you one.

Godfather.

• Options

brianlux said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

HAHHAHHAHHA I will wait patiently my friend.....I'll save you one.

Godfather.

Haha! :smiley:

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Why not humans?

without doubt an uneducated opinion I admit, I just look at climate patters starting before the industrial age and see nothing that has not happened naturally, storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding it was just as severe back then as it is now but air pollution is nasty side effect of man's progress thru the years but I just don't think it has been nasty enough to change the climate...remember that's just my opinion.

Godfather.

Who needs stupid Book Learnin? I just open my window. It's nice out today.

• Options
    Smellyman said:

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Why not humans?

Godfather.

is there a book that gives 100% proof positive information that pollution has caused El Niño and other natural disasters ? as far as I know it's all theory created by some politician and his followers(for the money)....what's his name....Gore right ?

Godfather.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Smellyman said:

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Why not humans?

Godfather.

is there a book that gives 100% proof positive information that pollution has caused El Niño and other natural disasters ? as far as I know it's all theory created by some politician and his followers(for the money)....what's his name....Gore right ?

Godfather.

Wow, this is the apotheosis of that silly picture!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    Straight from this article you posted - Not such good news, actually:

“The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”

The study has caused quite a stir in the community of scientists who work in Antarctica, with some questioning the reliability of the satellite data and saying it does little to change the narrative that the continent is losing mass.

Others said it demonstrates the challenges of trying to assess the state of ice sheets on such a huge land mass, where time scales and environmental factors often differ marketedly.

A seperate study in the journal Geophysical Research Letters this week found snow accumulation has dramatically increased on West Antarctica’s coastal ice sheet in the 20th century. But one of the study's authors, Elizabeth Thomas, a paleoclimatologist with the British Antarctic Survey in Cambridge, said many of the same factors leading to increased snowfall also have been found to be responsible for the thinning of the ice shelves.

"In fact, having more snowfall doesn't necessarily balance the thinning. They are both a symptom of the same thing," she told Fox News. "They are connected. Rather than me saying there has been an increase in snow fall and that is a good thing if you like, it's actually probably a symptom of the same thing. More snowfall probably means more thinning from the wind driven processes."

Earlier this year, a study in Nature Climate Change found that global sea levels were rising faster than previously thought. Researchers used satellite data combined with tidal gauge information and GPS measurements to overturn previous suggestions that rates had slowed in the past decade.

Another study by Harvard University's Carling Hay and his colleagues in Nature examined rates of sea level rise before 1990 and found they had been overestimated by about 30 percent. That means the acceleration in sea-level rise in the past two decades is greater than previously thought.

Most researchers blamed the rising seas on melting ice sheets in Greenland and West Antarctica and shrinking glaciers, triggered by the rise in heat-trapping, greenhouse gas emissions.

But even if Antarctica isn’t part of the mix now, that could change in the future.

“If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years - I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses,” said Zwally.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    love how these people who still don't get global warming don't actually read the articles they post ... sad ...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This is big news

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-climate-change-newser-1.3330153

Alberta's climate change strategy revealed
  • Options
    dignin said:

This is big news

Great news! Good for Alberta!

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited November 2015
    brianlux said:

dignin said:

This is big news

I'm so happy were finally pulling our heads out of our asses.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

This is big news

I'm so happy were finally pulling out heads out of our asses.
    Good show! I hope as other provinces, states, countries, counties or even simply as individuals we will see more following suit and helping alleviate anthropogenic global warming!

• Options
    No big surprises here but maybe worth a quick read:

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-fact-check-climate-science-most-gop-candidates-080125499--election.html

"WASHINGTON (AP) — When it comes to climate science, two of the three Democratic presidential candidates are 'A' students, while most of the Republican contenders are flunking, according to a panel of scientists who reviewed candidates' comments.

At the request of The Associated Press, eight climate and biological scientists graded for scientific accuracy what a dozen top candidates said in debates, interviews and tweets, using a 0 to 100 scale.

To try to eliminate possible bias, the candidates' comments were stripped of names and given randomly generated numbers, so the professors would not know who made each statement they were grading. Also, the scientists who did the grading were chosen by professional scientific societies."

More at link.

• Options
    And to add to the above, there's this:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/nov/23/climate-change-republican-party-trump-inhofe

Following The Guardian's environment page or the BBC's, or any other reputable foreign news source, I often get the sense that the rest of the world is leading the way to do something about the global predicament that is global warming. I sometimes wonder, will the U.S. let itself be left behind in the dust? If Republican leaders have anything to do with it, I would sadly guess that will be the case.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited November 2015
    brianlux said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

dignin said:

This is big news

I'm so happy were finally pulling out heads out of our asses.
    Good show! I hope as other provinces, states, countries, counties or even simply as individuals we will see more following suit and helping alleviate anthropogenic global warming!
    "One of the few dissenting voices came from the opposition Wildrose Party.

Leader Brian Jean said Albertans face job losses and economic uncertainty."

Shocking! image
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata