Global warming

Comments

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

Then it shouldn't be a problem to post Scholarly articles.

Correct. Here is a great article discussing what it is skeptics actually believe...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/04/25/i-am-a-climate-skeptic-who-believes-in-global-warming/

There is a lot of science in there outlining the controversies. Very rational.
    There is no such academia by the name of wattsupwiththat University...
    Oh come now, bsL, you and I know that any science related web site that features hot babes with their legs up on a car's steering wheel and articles on budget friendly puppy dogs are VERY LIKELY to be filled with excellent scientific data of the highest quality!

Keep dodging the data boys.
    I was kidding, BS.

Not dodging the data at all. In fact, today is the first day of the free climate change course. Did you sign up for it?

Nah...I already matriculated
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

Correct. Here is a great article discussing what it is skeptics actually believe...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/04/25/i-am-a-climate-skeptic-who-believes-in-global-warming/

Oh come now, bsL, you and I know that any science related web site that features hot babes with their legs up on a car's steering wheel and articles on budget friendly puppy dogs are VERY LIKELY to be filled with excellent scientific data of the highest quality!

I was kidding, BS.

Not dodging the data at all. In fact, today is the first day of the free climate change course. Did you sign up for it?

You enrolled in school. Great! But that doesn't really have anything to do with climate unless you are taking a climate class.

Here it is again, in case you're interested. The course is only seven weeks and will only take an hour or two of your time each week. At the most that's only a little over 17 minutes a day and as few a 8 minutes per day.

Here's some info on the class:
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=18361

and here's where you can register for the class (it's only seven weeks, a one to two hours a week):
    https://www.edx.org/course/making-sense-climate-science-denial-uqx-denial101x

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited April 2015

Only the fossil fuel industry threatens to censor scientific findings and reports…

Really, all of this questioning science that's suddenly trendy is just that, trendy. A clear, concise and credible discussion would actually not involve the idea that science can be debated by, ugh, non-science.

In Canada, the Prime Minister not only threatens to censor scientific findings and reports. He actually DOES censor them. No shit. It's happening right out in the open... and the guy might even win another election anyway. Talk about denial....
    Who needs the fossil fuel industry to muzzle scientists when you've got Stephen Harper?! :angry:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Only the fossil fuel industry threatens to censor scientific findings and reports…

Really, all of this questioning science that's suddenly trendy is just that, trendy. A clear, concise and credible discussion would actually not involve the idea that science can be debated by, ugh, non-science.

In Canada, the Prime Minister not only threatens to censor scientific findings and reports. He actually DOES censor them. No shit. It's happening right out in the open... and the guy might even win another election anyway. Talk about denial....
    Who needs the fossil fuel industry to muzzle scientists when you've got Stephen Harper?! :angry:

This thing about censoring even using words and phrases like "global warming" and "climate change" is maddening. If people even refuse to talk about anthropogenic global warming how can we expect to slow down this ecological disaster?
    th

I'm supper frustrated about something else right now. That climate change course I posted elsewhere? I had to drop that course because it won't download properly. I live in an area that has few choices for ISP and my computer is old and I refuse to get rid of it until it goes kaput (I purchase new items as seldom as possible and refurbished computers- at least where I live- are a joke).

Besides, I have to say- I'm really kind of burned out on this subject right now and I don't feel like anything we say here matters. It seems as though people here have either it figured out by now (most of us here) or are not going to change about how they see it (most of us here) or to some, no doubt, this is all just a game.

There are no wax museums in Maryland and the charcoal burner is the master of his own home!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited April 2015
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

I was kidding, BS.

You enrolled in school. Great! But that doesn't really have anything to do with climate unless you are taking a climate class.

Here it is again, in case you're interested. The course is only seven weeks and will only take an hour or two of your time each week. At the most that's only a little over 17 minutes a day and as few a 8 minutes per day.

Here's some info on the class:
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=18361

and here's where you can register for the class (it's only seven weeks, a one to two hours a week):
    https://www.edx.org/course/making-sense-climate-science-denial-uqx-denial101x

It's like those tea party idiots who believe that Ben Carson is smart in medicine so he must be smart in politics. If he's so smart why is he against gay rights and veteran's aid?
  • Options
    It's telling that all deniers know how to do is insult when facts are shown. I called some idiot out on Jesse Ventura's Facebook page yesterday for his anti CC bull while at the same time his hypocrisy for liking every fascist nutcase on Fox News and he just does the "I know you are but what am I, derp!" name calling meme.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I think that Carlin meant every word he said.
    The stoned tree hugging days of saving the planet is long gone.
    We are but mortals on a planet that has plans.

That's what I always loved about him - his honesty, PC be damned. Even when I was perching on another branch. He's common-sensical.

In ways, he reminds me of Dennis Miller.
    Don't compare that Fox News clown to Carlin. You just made Rufus' grave spin. Miller's been unfunny before Fox anyways. Monday Night Football, I'm looking at you!

If anyone deserves comparison, it's Lewis Black.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

That's what I always loved about him - his honesty, PC be damned. Even when I was perching on another branch. He's common-sensical.

Don't compare that Fox News clown to Carlin. You just made Rufus' grave spin. Miller's been unfunny before Fox anyways. Monday Night Football, I'm looking at you!

I'm talking about his stand-up stuff. His HBO show from years ago was excellent and spot on (and funny!). Not sure if it pre-dated his MNF time.
  • Options

It's telling that all deniers know how to do is insult when facts are shown. I called some idiot out on Jesse Ventura's Facebook page yesterday for his anti CC bull while at the same time his hypocrisy for liking every fascist nutcase on Fox News and he just does the "I know you are but what am I, derp!" name calling meme.

It's actually been the exact opposite on this thread.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Please show me where I insulted you here, BS. I've tried to be reasonably civil. I'm sorry you see it differently.

When all else fail, humor may save us yet:

• Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

I'm talking about his stand-up stuff. His HBO show from years ago was excellent and spot on (and funny!). Not sure if it pre-dated his MNF time.
    He was great when he constantly grilled OJ, I'll give you that. Better than that hack Jay Leno and his Dancing Itos.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

Please show me where I insulted you here, BS. I've tried to be reasonably civil. I'm sorry you see it differently.

The same resident idiot who called dems racist today and supports mostly uncivil politicians like Cotton is calling others uncivil. Pot, meet kettle.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    double post. ignore
  • Options

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

The same resident idiot who called dems racist today and supports mostly uncivil politicians like Cotton is calling others uncivil. Pot, meet kettle.
    Cotton is no more uncivil then the Dems filibustering Obama's trade deal. Senator Sherrod Brown actually called Obama's criticism of Warren sexist yesterday and NOW agreed with him. Talk about being uncivil!

Anyways...back to the main topic at hand...Obama has allowed Arctic Drilling to go ahead. Any major change on energy policy is now literally dead in the water.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,610
    Really? Another definitive proclamation from our resident BS'er, I'm sorry Professor Chickenhawk, baa, baa, Cap'n. Baaaaaaaa. Whose payroll are you on, anyway cuz all you do is spout shit.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Scientists: Earth Endangered by New Strain of Fact-Resistant Humans
    MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report) – Scientists have discovered a powerful new strain of fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life, a sobering new study reports.
    Link

• Options
    No offense, BS, but I don't understand why you or anyone would argue against something the vast majority of scientists agree on. Sort of an exercise in futility, isn't it? Also, not a fun thing to have face up to but running from it will not change it not its consequences.

Will check out the link later, Smellyman. Gotta get to work.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Smellyman said:

MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report) – Scientists have discovered a powerful new strain of fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life, a sobering new study reports.
    Link

Fact resistance goes way beyond climate change.

Amazing the false truths humans tell each other to maintain their self worth.

Animals dont do this. HA

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    brianlux said:

No offense, BS, but I don't understand why you or anyone would argue against something the vast majority of scientists agree on. Sort of an exercise in futility, isn't it? Also, not a fun thing to have face up to but running from it will not change it not its consequences.

Have you read my posts on here? I am not arguing against climate change. There is no doubt in my mind that man contributes to changes in climate. The only question is to what degree. The world has not warmed as we anticipated it would. You should look at that as good news as it certainly buys us more time to both properly study man's actions along with introducing smart energy policies.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    edited May 2015
    callen said:

Smellyman said:

Link

Fact resistance goes way beyond climate change.

Amazing the false truths humans tell each other to maintain their self worth.

Animals dont do this. HA

" I will catch that squirrel this time....I will, I will, I will......DAMN!"
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

Have you read my posts on here? I am not arguing against climate change. There is no doubt in my mind that man contributes to changes in climate. The only question is to what degree. The world has not warmed as we anticipated it would. You should look at that as good news as it certainly buys us more time to both properly study man's actions along with introducing smart energy policies.
    Perhaps how much we disagree is only a matter of degrees, LOL.

Seriously though, I hope we do have more time to reduce our impact. The more of both the better.

• Options
    Nice going there, Rick! Hahaha!
    Good show, Pope Francis!

• Options
    More recent news regarding global warming:

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/06/05/climate-deniers-lose-another-argument-global-warming-pause-proved-false
    Climate Deniers Lose Another Argument as Global Warming 'Pause' Proved False

In a revelation that deals a serious blow to the already-bogus claims of climate change deniers, top scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) declared this week that the so-called "hiatus" in global warming—some have called it a "Faux Pause"—was never a real thing.

But more importantly, the following article explains why this so-called "hiatus" was never really that big an issue in the first place- a slight variation in a warming trend that has been shown to real for several years now:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2015/06/noaa-temperature-record-updates-and-the-hiatus/#more-18571

(A bit long to post here but worth reading.)

• Options
    brianlux said:

More recent news regarding global warming:

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/06/05/climate-deniers-lose-another-argument-global-warming-pause-proved-false
    Climate Deniers Lose Another Argument as Global Warming 'Pause' Proved False

In a revelation that deals a serious blow to the already-bogus claims of climate change deniers, top scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) declared this week that the so-called "hiatus" in global warming—some have called it a "Faux Pause"—was never a real thing.

But more importantly, the following article explains why this so-called "hiatus" was never really that big an issue in the first place- a slight variation in a warming trend that has been shown to real for several years now:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2015/06/noaa-temperature-record-updates-and-the-hiatus/#more-18571

(A bit long to post here but worth reading.)

They totally distorted the original data to make this claim. It is scientific malpractice.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/04/noaa-fiddles-with-climate-data-to-erase-the-15-year-global-warming-hiatus/
  • Options
    daily caller. Got it. :wink:

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I don't know about the adjusted temp measurement but I do know that Bob Tisdale is a JOKE. Pseudo science at it's finest.
    This points out his most common trick, one that he uses often.

http://wottsupwiththat.com/2011/05/09/the-giss-divergence-problem-ocean-heat-content/
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianlux said:

The NOAA altered the data to produce the results they wanted. This is undeniable and is absolutely unscientific. It also moves us further away from understanding to what extent man's actions affect climate.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

The NOAA altered the data to produce the results they wanted. This is undeniable and is absolutely unscientific. It also moves us further away from understanding to what extent man's actions affect climate.
    You certainly are consistent and relentless, BS. Enjoy the nice warm weather this summer.

• Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

You certainly are consistent and relentless, BS. Enjoy the nice warm weather this summer.

I'm hoping for it. Heading out to Winnipeg Beach soon where it looks like it has finally warmed up.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm actually very tempted to be done with this subject and any other related to environment. Having been out to the coast a number of times this years and up in the high Sierra, talking to others in various places, reading stacks of well researched books on various environmental subjects, personally knowing some very astute scientists, using my sense of observation over the last several decades, seeing how polluted the west coast has become (ubiquitous filthy air, dirt and haze observed far off shore and all the way back to home at 2000 ft elevation)... I'm losing most of my faith that we will dodge environmental collapse. I don't like being a downer but I'm just saying what I can only conclude as a logical deduction of information and personal experience. Any of you here who have known me for a while know I would not say these things flippantly or lightly. Give me one good reason to have an ounce of hope and I might pursue this more. Otherwise, I don't see the point anymore. It's been interesting.
    Post edited by brianlux on