Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    pjhawks said:

not sure what to believe here. While I think it's totally plausible Middleton is trying to take over I tend not to believe much of anything Howard Eskin says.

when it comes to big stories like this, he's usually right more than wrong though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,642
    I always got the impression that Eskin is always wrong about everything.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I thought I read he was older than 24. I don't remember where though.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Eskin is wrong about trades. He's usually good with info like this. But I'm not sure what to believe either.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,826

I always got the impression that Eskin is always wrong about everything.

It's allllllll a buncha schlock.

I would say, though, there might be validity to it. Seems like Middleton is looking to become more publicly visible - both with the Phillies and other outlets (charities, art, etc).

And Eskin was dead-on about TO when all of that went down. I remember him being the first one onto that. Then again that was 9 years ago.
  • Options
    Neil Young tomorrow at the Academy Of Music. Fucking a, cant wait.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

wish I was going to that....damn it

only time I saw him was 10 years ago, maybe more, when his greendale album came out and he spent the whole show playing that album from start to finish. it was not what I was hoping for. but god bless him for doing whatever the hell he wants to do.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014

only time I saw him was 10 years ago, maybe more, when his greendale album came out and he spent the whole show playing that album from start to finish. it was not what I was hoping for. but god bless him for doing whatever the hell he wants to do.
    Yeah, man. Very excited. Awesome spot too. Did the last couple nights in Boston and a pretty legit acoustic set list.

Yeah, that is how he rolls. I feel like every tour is hit or miss because of that, especially when he has a not so good album out. Saw him at Farm Aid and it wasn't bad but , but yeah, him just doing what he wanted.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Yeah, man. Very excited. Awesome spot too. Did the last couple nights in Boston and a pretty legit acoustic set list.

Yeah, that is how he rolls. I feel like every tour is hit or miss because of that, especially when he has a not so good album out. Saw him at Farm Aid and it wasn't bad but , but yeah, him just doing what he wanted.
    Really regret not pulling the trigger on these shows due to payday.

Enjoy it, man.

I saw that Greendale show in Camden as well as Radio City Music Hall during St. Patty's day (1ST ROW). Gotta admit - that shit sucked, but at least at the end they busted out a bunch of old shit at the end).

As someone who has seen NY 10+ times I am disappointed in myself for not making these shows. God damnit.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    On a unrelated note - ya see the hit by Werth that was then caught by Pence. Whooollllle lotta irony there.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    so the braves fire their gm, the dodgers essentially fire theirs......and ruben amaro is still running the show here.

what
    the
    fuck
    ?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

so the braves fire their gm, the dodgers essentially fire theirs......and ruben amaro is still running the show here.

what
    the
    fuck
    ?

David Murphy is a pretentious douche, but he gets this one right - http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20141016_Dodgers_moving_forward__Phillies_not_so_much.html
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    It's pretty funny and sad. I hope what Eskin reported a month ago comes true. Just cut Howard already. I love the guy but it's time. Every minute he stays here will only make his situation worse.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277

what
    the
    fuck
    ?

David Murphy is a pretentious douche, but he gets this one right - http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20141016_Dodgers_moving_forward__Phillies_not_so_much.html
    I guess Murphy just ignores the fact that the Rays won a whopping 77 games this year...or 4 more than the Phils. Maybe just Friedman left the Rays at the right time.

guys like Murphy can talk all they want about sabermetrics and good trades but outside of the Yankees you win by drafting. it's no secret the greatest era in Phillies history came about because of drafting of Rollins, Utley, Howard and Hamels. So I'd say having someone new for the draft is a big change and hopefully a good one.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited October 2014
    Been to a lot of shows...Pearl jams opening two songs tonight are gonna be tough to top.

Vedder was really drunk tonight. Moreso than ive seen before. Not sure if i noticed more because my seats were good (those who know me well are prob surprised that i was coherent enough to notice anything)

But yeah, those first 20 minutes tonight were pretty incredible.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Also, david murphy is great. On point every time. And its refreshing to read a local guy who doesnt give a shit about reprecussions of the team he 'covers'. Hes the best writer in the free philly press (which aint saying much). Guys like brookover, salisbury, stark, etc. arent worth the bandwith theyre wasting

Read murph and enjoy. Im shocked he hasnt been bought by espn or a larger site. He will be

Also ryan howards contract says hello.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

what
    the
    fuck
    ?

I guess Murphy just ignores the fact that the Rays won a whopping 77 games this year...or 4 more than the Phils. Maybe just Friedman left the Rays at the right time.

guys like Murphy can talk all they want about sabermetrics and good trades but outside of the Yankees you win by drafting. it's no secret the greatest era in Phillies history came about because of drafting of Rollins, Utley, Howard and Hamels. So I'd say having someone new for the draft is a big change and hopefully a good one.
    Only historic post i read. Same shit diff day. Other posters still talking about movies, sandwiches, and ty wigginton being a solid move

610 in print
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

what
    the
    fuck
    ?

Only historic post i read. Same shit diff day. Other posters still talking about movies, sandwiches, and ty wigginton being a solid move

610 in print
    why am i not surprised you are a fan of the biggest douche bag in the philly area at the moment.
    i guess you and David Murphy blame the old school gm thinking for the best pitcher in baseball fucking sucking big time in the playoffs the last two years. yea it was the GMs fault Kershaw was the 1st pitcher in baseball history to give up 7 earned runs or more in back to back -playoff starts. if Kershaw wins those starts is the Dodgers thinking outdated? no it's not. funny stuff though.
  • Options
    Going down to 2300 arena tomorrow, Formerly ECW arena I believe. Steve cummingham is fighting there. Old dude, fighting for sad reasons, but a 7 card televised fight in south Philly and I have ringside seats. Fuck yeah
  • Options

Going down to 2300 arena tomorrow, Formerly ECW arena I believe. Steve cummingham is fighting there. Old dude, fighting for sad reasons, but a 7 card televised fight in south Philly and I have ringside seats. Fuck yeah

saw a segment on comcast about cunningham and his daughter. that's tough. hope he wins.

fucking moline, illinois gets no code start to finish? what an insane set list. lucky motherfuckers...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,200

that arena probably has changed it's name more times than i can count. :))

It will always be the ECW arena to me though. Only went there once for a wrestling event a few years back. Wish I had gone there during the ECW days though
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

saw a segment on comcast about cunningham and his daughter. that's tough. hope he wins.

fucking moline, illinois gets no code start to finish? what an insane set list. lucky motherfuckers...
    Yeah, grantland wrote an article on him an his daughter too. Sad stuff. He should win pretty easily I think. Hope his daughter gets a heart and can live a normal life.

That's fucking awesome
  • Options

It will always be the ECW arena to me though. Only went there once for a wrestling event a few years back. Wish I had gone there during the ECW days though
    That's awesome. Pretty excited to go. Never been there before but always heard about how it was the ECW home
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,773

Unreal. It was crazy...fucking Moline, Illinois out of all places.
  • Options

That's awesome. Pretty excited to go. Never been there before but always heard about how it was the ECW home
    That's sweet.

A fun fact - this place sits where my dad and grandfather's junk yard used to be. At the time this real estate was worth shiiiiiiit.

I used to be a huge ECW nerd back about '94-ish till like '98-ish (aka when I was 12 and awkward, up until I found other things for a teen to keep him busy). This place was a fucking circus.

And in related news, when one of my good friends became a professional wrestler about 8 years ago we would hit these shows up there quite frequently. What a fucking scene. Especially to see your buddy in the ring while South Philly mothers fawn over your friend in the ring. Fucking. Weird. Scene. Suffice to say, my buddy realized to get out and find a more....stable career.

But one helluva place to get drunk and take in one of the finer weird underbellies of Philly.
  • Options
    and tonight they're playing yield. these motherfuckers!

avocado b sides are scrumptious. this last decade and a half of albums could've been so much better if they didn't leave some of the best music off them...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

avocado b sides are scrumptious. this last decade and a half of albums could've been so much better if they didn't leave some of the best music off them...

Yeah, this is weak.

FUCK. I'm just looking at this setlist now.
  • Options

hit up the St. Paul show. what a cool little city that is. we really enjoyed that area. crazy it was warmer on Sunday in St. Paul MN then in Philly. We headed into Minneapolis Saturday night. that was more a big city feel to it and had a ton of music going on. Within like a 2 block area they had shows by Jason Mraz, Ani DeFranco and Bryan Adams.

Definitely a big difference in sports fans out there than here. Not a long anger at how bad the Vikings played and way too much civility with people cheering for the Bears, Packers and Lions in the same bar. interesting to see the different dynamic though.

the show was pretty much a greatest hits show but still was fucking great. other than sirens (i can't think of any song by PJ that comes off worse live than that one) pretty much every song was spot on. they are killing it these days. I think shorter tours, while making it harder to see the band, allow for much tighter shows and helps Ed's voice. The energy these guys still put out at their age is fucking impressive.

as for the show playing the full albums...without being at those shows hard to say how they come off...but to me frankly i think it comes off a little hackish and think PJ should be above that. part of the fun is not knowing what is coming up next to me.
  • Options
    I dont know, Baba five songs into a setlist and not knowing they were going to play (fucking sweet, sweet) Yield in its entirety, in order, is pretty fucking spot on for not knowing what they're going to pull out next.
  • Options

I dont know, Baba five songs into a setlist and not knowing they were going to play (fucking sweet, sweet) Yield in its entirety, in order, is pretty fucking spot on for not knowing what they're going to pull out next.

I cannot put into words how pissed I would be if I went to a greatest hits show that was sandwiched in between no code and yield in their entireties. haha

yeah---baba 5 songs in! wtf? my head would explode
    chinese-happy.jpg