Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Uss Cunningham baby!!

Philly boxing is so awesome right now

you're literally the only person on earth who cares about boxing. boxing is more depressing than horse racing
    Boxing is about to have the biggest fight in the history of the sport. Each fighter is gonna make close to a hundred million

Edit: it is a legitimate joke that this city does not pay attention to the sport, especially from a boxing city. Between Jennings who has a title fight to Garcia, Cunningham...
    not a sport
    As a fact, it is the oldest sport
    I thought lacrosse was
    Syracuse is working it this year. I don't know. Hand to hand combat or mile field lacrosse. Regardless, upstate New York comes out tough
    lacrosse is stupid. a bunch of guys with villanova names.

hastings moore - F
    wilkins moreland - F
    case russell - D
    reid turdoslavic - G
    thompson hooper - G

worst names ever. and fuck villanova
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    edited March 2015
    Mmmmmkkkkaaaayyyy

By far the most fun sport ever. By far.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Regardless, you live in Baltimore and hate the Phillies and Eagles so....

Regardless, a philly boxer is fighting for the heavyweight title at the garden: no reason for this city to not get excited

I will always be a fan of the philly teams. I hate the phillies management (justified) and the eagles fruity coach. But let's not get it twisted, I am still a fan of both. I do also root for the orioles, but the phils will always be my team.

Being in baltimore is temporary. This democratic wasteland of a state is terrible. We get taxed on rain...seriously, look it up...only state in the country to have a rain tax. fuck this place. We will be back in the philly area soon enough (sadly the PA burbs and not the great state of NJ -- the PA drivers are still the worst, they even specialize in clogging the passing lane of the maryland roads).

No one cares about boxing. bernard hopkins is probably still holding a belt or two. I don't care. that dude is a fucking loser. I hope he loses every fight
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    edited March 2015
    This Manny/Floyd fight is like if you were on your deathbed, days from death, and you had sex with your wife one last time. You like sex. But after that, it's all over. Same with boxing. It's terminally ill. You like boxing, but after this fight, it's all over. You can further this analogy by arguing that boxing is already dead and this fight is like necrophilia...but that's just gross.

It's a shame really. Boxing was fun in the 90's. My dad was a huge fan (he was actually at the second Ali/Frazier fight) and would always get the PPVs that featured guys like Holyfield, Lewis, and Tyson. They were fun to watch. But the people that run boxing never evolved with the times. The whole sport is a mismanaged clusterfuck. If they just got it all under one umbrella (like Dana White did with MMA), they'd have a fighting chance. Instead they have just one guy that's a draw (Floyd), his fights are always boring as hell (That works fine for say the San Antonio Spurs, but they're not the only draw in the NBA), and he's put off this Manny fight for so long that it's more of a novelty than a prize fight at this point. I agree with Fixer that nobody cares about the sport of boxing. This fight is just another thing on TV to people. No different than people tuning in to watch that guy tight-rope walk across the Grand Canyon a few years ago. The financial success of the fight (which will be huge) will in no way help the future of boxing. It's just one last pay day. Sad really.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    You

This Manny/Floyd fight is like if you were on your deathbed, days from death, and you had sex with your wife one last time. You like sex. But after that, it's all over. Same with boxing. It's terminally ill. You like boxing, but after this fight, it's all over. You can further this analogy by arguing that boxing is already dead and this fight is like necrophilia...but that's just gross.

It's a shame really. Boxing was fun in the 90's. My dad was a huge fan (he was actually at the second Ali/Frazier fight) and would always get the PPVs that featured guys like Holyfield, Lewis, and Tyson. They were fun to watch. But the people that run boxing never evolved with the times. The whole sport is a mismanaged clusterfuck. If they just got it all under one umbrella (like Dana White did with MMA), they'd have a fighting chance. Instead they have just one guy that's a draw (Floyd), his fights are always boring as hell (That works fine for say the San Antonio Spurs, but they're not the only draw in the NBA), and he's put off this Manny fight for so long that it's more of a novelty than a prize fight at this point. I agree with Fixer that nobody cares about the sport of boxing. This fight is just another thing on TV to people. No different than people tuning in to watch that guy tight-rope walk across the Grand Canyon a few years ago. The financial success of the fight (which will be huge) will in no way help the future of boxing. It's just one last pay day. Sad really.

I agree with the issues of the sport. Clearly it is a disaster. That said, people aren't shelling out a hundred bucks for the pay per view and these guys aren't splitting $200 mil because it is just another thing on tv.

The sport has ups and downs. Always has. While the top rank/golden boy and HBO/showtime issues are clearly bad for the sport, it also hurts that there aren't any heavyweights worth a damn

And like I said, I clearly think the sport has issues given my complaints about how this city isn't paying an ounce of attention to the Jennings fight and the majority of people don't even know who he is. That is a lack of interest and parity in the heavyweight. You don't think if there was someone like Tyson coming up that the sport wouldn't be booming?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

You don't think if there was someone like Tyson coming up that the sport wouldn't be booming?

Maybe but even posing that question kinda supports the argument that people don't care about boxing as a sport. If people did, it wouldn't need one superstar like a Tyson for it to be successful. Take the NBA for example. If you took Lebron and the next ten top guys out of the league, the league would still have interest in it because people like basketball. That's why they get a new generation of fans every 10 years or so. Boxing doesn't gain any new fans based on the sport itself.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

You don't think if there was someone like Tyson coming up that the sport wouldn't be booming?

Maybe but even posing that question kinda supports the argument that people don't care about boxing as a sport. If people did, it wouldn't need one superstar like a Tyson for it to be successful. Take the NBA for example. If you took Lebron and the next ten top guys out of the league, the league would still have interest in it because people like basketball. That's why they get a new generation of fans every 10 years or so. Boxing doesn't gain any new fans based on the sport itself.
    That is what boxing is and always has been. A superstar driven sport
  • Options
    Looking forward to the final jinx episode tonight. Durst was arrested for the berman murder yesterday
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,535

Looking forward to the final jinx episode tonight. Durst was arrested for the berman murder yesterday

what is that show about?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

what is that show about?
    Bon durst, from the big New York real estate family, who seems like he killed 3 people and has never been convicted. Crazy story. Sick bastard
  • Options
    Quite the fucking finale
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,304
    edited March 2015

You

I agree with the issues of the sport. Clearly it is a disaster. That said, people aren't shelling out a hundred bucks for the pay per view and these guys aren't splitting $200 mil because it is just another thing on tv.

The sport has ups and downs. Always has. While the top rank/golden boy and HBO/showtime issues are clearly bad for the sport, it also hurts that there aren't any heavyweights worth a damn

And like I said, I clearly think the sport has issues given my complaints about how this city isn't paying an ounce of attention to the Jennings fight and the majority of people don't even know who he is. That is a lack of interest and parity in the heavyweight. You don't think if there was someone like Tyson coming up that the sport wouldn't be booming?
    Other than too many divisions one of Boxing's biggest problems has been lack of TV coverage. While every other sport's tv coverage in America has exploded in the last 10 years or so Boxing's has stayed steady or gone down. Boxing is completely out of sight out of mind of the general public. While the best fights being on pay-per-view generate millions for the performers and promoters it does nothing to help promote the sport. It's a 'ill get mine sport' that doesn't breed interest outside of boxing fans. Boxing needs to consolidate into one federation with a commissioner and regularly required fights from the stars. you can't continue to have multiple champions in each division. Unify it all to start with. with correct leadership it could make a comeback but I don't see anything like that happening anytime soon.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

You

Other than too many divisions one of Boxing's biggest problems has been lack of TV coverage. While every other sport's tv coverage in America has exploded in the last 10 years or so Boxing's has stayed steady or gone down. Boxing is completely out of sight out of mind of the general public. While the best fights being on pay-per-view generate millions for the performers and promoters it does nothing to help promote the sport. It's a 'ill get mine sport' that doesn't breed interest outside of boxing fans. Boxing needs to consolidate into one federation with a commissioner and regularly required fights from the stars. you can't continue to have multiple champions in each division. Unify it all to start with. with correct leadership it could make a comeback but I don't see anything like that happening anytime soon.

I agree with this. They are making an effort to bring it back to network tv with the nbc deal, but long ways to go obviously
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    He shouldn't be inducted until he is dead. Dude is a loser
  • Options
    Just saw nova's pathetic schedule. Explains why they only had two losses.

Go Lafayette
  • Options
    bye bye larry brown. dbag
  • Options
    don't let anyone tell you differently...getting snipped absolutely blows. lot of people told me it wasn't bad. they're wrong
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

Just saw nova's pathetic schedule. Explains why they only had two losses.

Go Lafayette

while it's clearly not the old big east, they did send 6 teams to the tourney and they are 4-0 right now, i believe. nova's 5-1 against top 25 rpi teams, only team that has a better record is kentucky, whose strength of schedule is comparable to nova's (ie: not pathetic).

not sure how much college basketball you've watched this year, but this is arguably the best team nova has ever had. they go 8 deep and all 8 all solid contributors. there's a reason they are the overall 2nd seed in the tourney.

i'd be very surprised if they do not make it to the elite 8. we shall see!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hardly watched any college hoops. I think the sport has gone to shit...reminds me of nfl with all of the freakin reviews they do.

I love wisconsin. other than them, I haven't watched much at all

nova's bracket is pretty weak. I have oklahoma coming out of that region. I said I was going to pick nova to go to the finals to ensure they wouldn't, but I couldn't bring myself to pick them. I have them losing to Northern Iowa, which probably won't happen. But fuck them anyway
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    i think either wisconsin or arizona are the only two teams who can beat kentucky. so happy nova is in the east...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

i think either wisconsin or arizona are the only two teams who can beat kentucky. so happy nova is in the east...

yeah, sucks they are in the same region. I've seen arizona play a bunch too...they are loaded

wisconsin/kentucky in last year's tourney was tremendous...except for the wrong team winning
  • Options
    edited March 2015

dude, your sports track record over the last couple of years has taken a hit. just sayin...

yes, I'm being that guy right now. but my hate of nova causes me to be that way. My over 138 bet even hit, which made this a glorious night!! GLORIOUS!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Fixer said:

dude, your sports track record over the last couple of years has taken a hit. just sayin...

yes, I'm being that guy right now. but my hate of nova causes me to be that way. My over 138 bet even hit, which made this a glorious night!! GLORIOUS!
    Excuse me? What exactly did I say that you found so unreasonable?

Yeah I think your blind hatred for Nova got the better of you again here...
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,284
    :lol:image

can the Phillies be actually better than we thought? I know it's just spring training but they've been playing pretty well.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Sports Illustrated has the Phillies finishing with the worse record at 63-99 :lol:
    They Have Cleveland over Washington in the World Series
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    God bless The War on Drugs....easily this town's biggest secret. What an awesome show
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

God bless The War on Drugs....easily this town's biggest secret. What an awesome show

:smiley:image

agree, awesome show! Tower was a cool place to see them too i thought.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    saw connor barwin when i was getting a beer. of course he would be there. guy's gotta be the coolest philadelphia eagle in franchise history. i yelled "go birds!" to him. sure he loved that.

my brother is also pretty sure beau allen and kelce were standing behind us too.

anyway---awesome show, great band. very proud that they are a philly product.
    chinese-happy.jpg