Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• mandm621mandm621 moran, mi Posts: 93

you know that 'oh noooo' feeling when one of your team scores an own goal? thats what this feels like...
    Ed had only two realistic options in all this. Say fuckin nothing and stand by it. Or nail his colours to the mast and instead name all the countries he meant and both would have gotten him grief but respect too for expanding on his rant(which i agreed with verbatim).

Instead he chose the worst option. He did an immense backpeddalling 'here's what I meant to say' and for that he's going to get shit from every direction. I love the guy and even I dont buy it. And it'll especially come from the pro Israel side. They're gonna dance all over him for this. He's basically backed down and now is going to be accused of being a coward as well as an anti Semite and all those other bullshit words those guys like throwing at anyone who disagrees with them. Shouldn't have opened his mouth to reply to it at all. heart was in the right place as always, but stand by it and own it, name and shame and expand to include al those countries(including his own) or say nothing and his point still would stand.

him replying to this was poorly advised.

You are mistaken, he said it a bit more elogantly in his letter than he did (ab lib) on stage.
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    badbrains said:

And if you think ed DIDNT raise a banner then you are truly delusional.

The only banner he raised was No War. His clarification specifically references taxpayer funding of US drones. Not sure why you insist on making it more then that.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    BS44325 said:

badbrains said:

And if you think ed DIDNT raise a banner then you are truly delusional.

The only banner he raised was No War. His clarification specifically references taxpayer funding of US drones. Not sure why you insist on making it more then that.
    Us drones???? Hahahaha since when do drones "go across land and steal land that's NOT there's"?? Nice try
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    scurtis said:

Ed's message sure has new meaning to me with what just happened over the Ukraine today.

A passenger plane with 295 aboard collateral damage of war.

Sad.

There are far too many applications for what he said. Far too many conflicts going on in the world. Far too much war.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 834
    Lots of wars going on where land grab is the mission and the goal.

All of them wrong and all would be better to stop NOW....

If any Country feels singled out, so what. It's still wrong. I don't really see any argument against what Ed said. Not one based in sanity anyway.

Ed is right. Obviously. Speaking out is just one part of him that makes him great.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2014
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    agree with him or not( and i do, broadly speaking), his initial statement at least raised awareness and opened a dialogue and debate and that can only be a good thing, no matter what our individual stand on it is.
    BS44325 said:

you know that 'oh noooo' feeling when one of your team scores an own goal? thats what this feels like...

Your problem is that you were under the assumption that Eddie played on your team. He doesn't. He is anti-war in total and doesn't embrace one side over the other. Accept it. He doesn't owe you or anyone else more then that.
    I dont have a team, but i certainly dont want people being killed on either side. That's all.
  • MaryCurrellMaryCurrell UK Posts: 12
    Thank you Eddie, you inspire us to make the world a better place. Great men always speak out in defence of the human family...

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” Martin Luther King
    "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind" Mahatma Gandhi
    "The best way to resolve any problem in the human world is for all sides to sit down and talk". His Holiness Dalai Lama
    "I wish I could shut up, but I can't and I won't" Bishop Desmond Tutu

We won't listen to those who choose to manipulate a message of peace to meet their own agenda.

We are so proud of you PJ.
    great quotes from great men who changed the times they were in and the troubles they faced.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    This one was touchy, as the Middle East is easily the most misunderstood region in the world. Common myths link this conflict back to Biblical times, and nothing can be farther from the truth.
    While no world conflict is easy to dissect, allow me to attempt to explain.
    After WWII the British and Americans gave the Jewish people a homeland, and how can you blame them? They were persecuted horribly as everyone knows (outside of holocaust deniers who are obviously brain dead).
    So the Americans and British give the rise back of Israel foretold in the Bible (gospels written by a Jewish dissenter working for the Flavians, Roman rulers at the time post Caesar, and creators of Christianity).
    Obviously this had bothered the Islamic neighbors, who claim their own right to the area.
    So the British maintained peace in the area for many years until sometime in the late 60's when they decided to pull out and leave the Shah of Iran in charge. This worked well, until that Shah (his name escapes me) was replaced. Things got testy and Iran did not want to be the marshals there anymore, so the United States had to assert its role in the Middle east and protect its oil supply.
    Iran began playing games under a new shah and thus began the 7 years war, in which the US backed Iraq. At the time it was hard to blame the Americans. The 7 years war BROKE Iraq. He attacked Kuwait out of desperation, an American ally. The Americans had to respond and when the Gulf War was over there should have been some semblance of peace....
    However, The Americans had convinced Saudi Arabia to sell their oil only in US dollars. This began the US as the world standard currency, a license to print money! In exchange for doing this favor, and convincing the other OPEC nations to follow suit, the Saudis were promised protection from Israel (by the US).
    So since the late 60's the US government had to walk a tightrope of diplomacy in the Middle east, placating the Israelis and the nation they helped establish, as well as the Saudis and the OPEC nations, who by using US dollars for oil grew the US economic power. let me explain...
    Now all nations had to use US dollars to buy oil. take japan for instance, they would have to exchange yen's for US dollars as they have no oil of their own. This would be costly and could quite inevitably devalue the dollar to third world status. they began taking american goods and making them Better and/or Cheaper and selling them to the US for US dollars. Next? you got it, buying their oil from OPEC with that money. many other nations followed suit.
    the US could print money at will.. why? Because everyone NEEDED them. Oil is a necessity in this world. So what happens if the US abandons Israel now? Can they provide the Saudis (and whomever else) protection? Would the US dollar remain the standard for oil? Doubtful.
    it is a tightrope people, if the US Dollar is no longer the standard for buying/selling oil, inflation will be rapid. Too much of anything means it becomes worth less and less. Remember pictures of Russians waiting in line for bread after perestroika? It could be that bad.
    The Middle east is about protecting the American dollar, and the western civilization way of life.

You don't have to agree with Eddie, and he has some great points, and I long for a world peace. Fact is there are only 20 conflicts in the world right now, the lowest level in HISTORY.
    We are getting there, however the Middle East situation has been brewing for 70 years, since the rebirth of Israel. I think if John Lennon were alive now he would be impressed with the overall progress. Nations don't invade each other anymore, MOST conflicts are within the borders of one country ie Civil Wars. This becomes blurred when a portion of a country is not RECOGNIZED by the other, and Israel/Palestine is this cross border conflict, depending on how you view Palestine, particularly the West Bank and Gaza Strip. So it was Israel he was talking about, and perhaps he (Eddie) is not hearing the whole story. Still, the hope of world peace is alive and getting closer everyday because of people like Eddie Vedder

if you read this long, congratulations ;)
  • pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    PP193448 said:

How dare you speak your disdain for anything of the following:
    war, suicide bombing, terrorism, human rights violations, environmental catastrophes by corporate pollution, religious intolerance, inequality, etc...
    What kind of environmentally conscious, peace loving, respectful humanitarian are you?

Long live freedom of speech!! Thanks for caring Mr. EV. =D> ^:)^

Love this.
  • pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    Eddie, you break my heart a little more every day... in the best possible way.
  • DN166424DN166424 Posts: 1
    I've been a huge fan since the early 90s when I was in college. Been to many shows along the west coast. Saying this so you know I'm not just a troll but a true fan of PJ and EV.

About his so called rant it did seem one sided (to me) and was pointing out Israel.
    My thoughts. Israel has the right to exist and defend itself. I am not religious. I respect people's choice to be religious as long as that doesn't affect other people in a negative way. I think we'd have a lot less war if religion disappeared.

As for the mid east situation let me use this example. What if Canada started firing off 100s of missiles from Vancouver BC randomly and all over the place around Seattle and Bellingham. Would you want the City of Seattle and the USA to just let it happen over and over or would you want the US to defend its citizens? (Yes I know there is more of a history in the mid east...no I'm not anti-Canada so all you Canadians please don't attack me...although I'm sure it would be done in a polite manner)

Oh, it’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can get overwhelmed
    By the grace by which we live our lives with death over our shoulders
  • SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    It's hard to turn the other cheek when your heads chopped off. We've got to deal with those who kill innocents. What a fucking awful problem.....thank God we...oh wait :(
    Love is all you need.....
  • TM257576TM257576 Serres,Greece Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    I was at Milton Keynes and Ed's speech made me,once more,feel proud of being a fan of this band.

My favourite band has been politically active since their early days.
    They have always tried to raise people awareness for numerous issues.

For me the main point of Ed's speech and all of their actions through the years,is that people should give a real interest in whats going on in the world.
    People should be politically active.
    They must question their goverment's motives.
    They should never give excuses to wars,as being an act of good guys against the bad.
    Its never as simple as that..

Peal Jam rocked my world on Friday.
    The next day uncle Neil at Hyde Park continued,at age 69,to do the same thing!
    I don't know the exact reasons for the cancellation of his show in Israel.
    I am pretty sure though that on his opening song,a magnificent 14 minutes of Love and only love,at some point during the end he changed the lyrics of the song.
    He sang,free the people,free the people of Palestine.
    Maybe i misheard,you can check it out, its on you tube(its around 9.00+ minutes)
    I am not sure about the free,but i am pretty sure he sang people of Palestine.

That's a little more a pro statement than Ed's speech.
    But,who can blame him for that?
    Shouldn't all people be free?
    Post edited by TM257576 on
  • Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    Streets on fire
    Children scream
    Dirty tears
    Awash with pain

Fleeing footsteps
    On the streets
    The Genocide
    repeats

They talk
    And talk
    And talk
    And lie
    And while they do
    The children die
    168dcfb.jpg
  • TM257576TM257576 Serres,Greece Posts: 4

Streets on fire
    Children scream
    Dirty tears
    Awash with pain

Fleeing footsteps
    On the streets
    The Genocide
    repeats

They talk
    And talk
    And talk
    And lie
    And while they do
    The children die

+1
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    I really can't see how anyone can be upset or argue what Ed has said. Seems pretty simple. No more war.
  • SALLYROOSALLYROO Posts: 51
    I loved the rant. And my mind immediately went back to the lyrics in many of the band's songs sung over the years, in particular from Riot Act. And I so so hope the band plays No More in Detroit in October! I really want to sing it loud and clear NO MORE WAR with thousands of fellow PJ fans.

U2 wrote "...and mothers, children, brothers, sisters torn apart...And it's true we are immune
    When fact is fiction and TV reality. And today the millions cry. We eat and drink while tomorrow they die" in Sunday Bloody Sunday. The sentiment is the same no matter what war is being fought. How long must we sing this song?!

Well, this is what I thought of when I watched the clip of Ed's request:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPzS8Y27Ks

peace
    Sally
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    You can't be neutral on a moving train...

fuck war
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Truth is we haven't hear much from Ed about this lately. Maybe a snid bit here and there but nothing like when Bush was in office. I have a sense, and this probably where Ed is coming from, that the war drum is beginning to beat, beat, beat. The events around the world are, once again, creating the war beat and excuses to mettle in the business of far away lands.

Time to be proactive about this and I appreciate his thoughtfulness.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • PEACE to ALL of you ~ never give up hope.

randomactsofkindness.org/kindness-ideas
  • PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    Passion....I love it.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Well the Moment I read he's Speech earlier in the Week I agreed with everything He said...I said it before He spoke out against War and Killing...Well done Ed.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg
    This is what Eddie has, because it only takes one sick terrorist to bump him off for speaking up if they are very extremist, brave but crazy of Ed at the same time, but we know he really is not making war but is all about the peace..
  • IrenkaIrenka Posts: 2
    Irenka said:

I dream with you and hope some day....

a couple hours later, I hear that an airplane is shot down above the Ukraine, with a lot of innocent people and a lot of dutch among them. So my hope just flew out of the window....
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    mcrok said:

Truth is we haven't hear much from Ed about this lately. Maybe a snid bit here and there but nothing like when Bush was in office. I have a sense, and this probably where Ed is coming from, that the war drum is beginning to beat, beat, beat. The events around the world are, once again, creating the war beat and excuses to mettle in the business of far away lands.

Time to be proactive about this and I appreciate his thoughtfulness.

Do you find it the least bit coincidental the further we pull back from global "inteference" the louder that drum beat gets?

Nobody in the US wants war. And we get dragged into way more things than we should be involved in. But it is an interesting observation. Don't you think? Damned if we do. Damned if we don't.

Credit to Ed for speaking up. Perhaps the ones truly responsible to starting the dominos tumbling will listen some day. So, keep yelling. But, rest assured, even Ed knows it's not quite that simple.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • JmeiiiJmeiii Posts: 99
    I very glad to see Ed remain true to his principles (as if I had any doubt). I love that he continues to speak from the heart without trying to think about whether what he will say will be popular or not. I want him to keep talking and encouraging others to, not only talk, but listen. That is is only way that we can quell conflict and preserve peace and order.

...by the way, it should be said that I tend to lean right on many issues, and I love Ed, Pearl Jam, and all that they stand for. See? Anything is possible. \m/ :)>-
    Fenway Park: 8/7/2016
    Fenway Park: 9/2/2018
    Fenway Park: 9/4/2018
This discussion has been closed.