Options

Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yeah, if nothing else, it's nice to hear Carl Sagan's voice again.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Thankyou Eddie - for both your impassioned speech at MK and your open letter.

I feel fortunate to have been in the crowd at MK. During your speech, my mind went to my own country and many of the actions the Australian government has taken in my name which I find truly abhorrent including the detention of asylum-seekers, many of whom are children. My country is a signatory to the UN Convention relating to the Status of Refugees, but in practice my Government engages in practices that cause further trauma to people who have already experienced torture, trauma, persecution in their countries of origin.

No more war. No more torture. No more rape. No more violence. No more silence.

• Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by RiotZact on
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,431
    This 'Controversy' Is Ridiculous! Pearl Jam Singer Criticized For Anti-War Statements

http://youtu.be/zOxoD-yqNOw
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    cutz said:

This 'Controversy' Is Ridiculous! Pearl Jam Singer Criticized For Anti-War Statements

=D>

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited July 2014
    cutz said:

I know what you mean.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    edited July 2014
    This is fantastic! Thank you TYT! :)
    Post edited by E.K on
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Also the Criticising and people being offended by He's Speech is getting more attention then the Actual Speech itself.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited July 2014
    I disagree with what he said about work. I don't want to work. I'd rather drink, eat, f---, listen to music, and have fun. I can't believe he said we should work!! WTF... :-O
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    Love me some angry Ed. just wish he would use that anger and write a really angry anti-war song.

I thought Ed's response post on this site was great.
  • Options
    PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    Burn...burn...
    Nothingman...
    Nothingman...
    Isn't it something?
    Nothingman...
    Nothingman...
    Coulda' been something...
    Nothingman...

Yep. Sums it up for me if war is the future ...
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    imagine was amazing at portugal show....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230

imagine was amazing at portugal show....

Someone just posted a link to this in the Formal Request Thread here on the Porch!
    Beautiful song Eddie!!! :)>-
  • Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    I just got caught up with the news around this. Personally I am totally behind Ed (no surprise, but honestly). He was pleading for sanity, calm and peace. I can't see anything wrong with that sentiment.

I don't proclaim to be political in any way and I don't know enough about the conflicts that he may or may not be referring to, but just calling it like he sees it at their own show - nothing wrong with that that i can see.

To be fair and in the spirit of freedom of speech, nothing wrong for people to level criticism at Ed's comments of course but why? Because he was ultimately calling for love and peace? Really? Hmmm.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    i_lov_it said:

Also the Criticising and people being offended by He's Speech is getting more attention then the Actual Speech itself.

EXACTLLY. Remember the speech not the backlash...
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Found this that Julian Lennon reposted.
  • Options
    Didn't Ike coin the term "military industrial complex"? He was a smart man who had seen the horrors of war.

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    i_lov_it said:

Which brings us back to this:

Being offended means nothing, yet the media and those offended feel that it's something substantial. In essence, it just means that you have issues. Get over it!
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    What I think is interesting is those of us fans who separate the band's music from their politics. Those of us who are likely to think (or yell) "shut up and sing" during a show. I'd like to think that with Ed's recent thoughts on the world, that those who tend to be apathetic to world issues and especially apathetic towards Ed speaking his mind and from his heart onstage (and to the band's politics and views on social issues, which they've been very vocal about since the beginning) would take a moment to open their minds, think about the big picture, and actually care for once.

You don't have to agree, but just listen, give it a chance before knocking ideas and solutions down that would actually do some good for the world. Worldwide negativity and anger is at an all time high right now, there's got to be a tipping point where we all just want peace.

Peace
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

I gotta give this round to Neil over Eddie. Eddie yelled, Neil at least did something. And if he wants to stick to the peace, love and music message, why not play Tel Aviv like Neil was going to? The message would have more meaning there.

dankind said:
    New Version...from Cosmos 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH7ZRF6zNoc

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    dankind said:
    Incredible. Thank you for posting this. It was...moving. In a way I didn't expect.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    I think ed's publicist wrote that
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The white papers-signs fans holding at last night show written "peace and no more..no war..and you are not alone.." was amazing..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    "if you are anti war it doesn’t make you pro one side or the other. It does, however, make you pro many things. Pro peace, pro human, pro evolution, pro communication, pro diplomacy, pro love, understanding, forgiveness. Some people can’t understand how you can be pro soldier. But if you are pro peace you are pro soldier because you don’t want the soldier put in harms way....Sometimes when you speak out people misunderstand what you mean but if you don’t speak out..." - ev, portugal
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057

:-q
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    Well Said Mr Vedder!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I seriously doubt that

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    my2hands said:

I seriously doubt that

i seriously doubt you.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Thought this was important to share And this constitutes Israel
    Defending itself? These stats haven't been updated since the ground attack began. Red Cross are being hard from going in and reclaiming dozens of bodies on the streets. It's heartbreaking and the world powers are turning a blind eye still
  • Options
    mandm621mandm621 moran, mi Posts: 93
    badbrains said:

BS44325 said:

badbrains said:

And if you think ed DIDNT raise a banner then you are truly delusional.

The only banner he raised was No War. His clarification specifically references taxpayer funding of US drones. Not sure why you insist on making it more then that.
    Us drones???? Hahahaha since when do drones "go across land and steal land that's NOT there's"?? Nice try
    badbrains said:

BS44325 said:

badbrains said:

And if you think ed DIDNT raise a banner then you are truly delusional.

The only banner he raised was No War. His clarification specifically references taxpayer funding of US drones. Not sure why you insist on making it more then that.
    Us drones???? Hahahaha since when do drones "go across land and steal land that's NOT there's"?? Nice try
    No but they bomb people. Not everything he was said was about stealing land, you need to read or listen to what was said.
This discussion has been closed.