Options

Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 492
    edited July 2014

Luckytwn1 said:

you know that 'oh noooo' feeling when one of your team scores an own goal? thats what this feels like...
    Ed had only two realistic options in all this. Say fuckin nothing and stand by it. Or nail his colours to the mast and instead name all the countries he meant and both would have gotten him grief but respect too for expanding on his rant(which i agreed with verbatim).

Instead he chose the worst option. He did an immense backpeddalling 'here's what I meant to say' and for that he's going to get shit from every direction. I love the guy and even I dont buy it. And it'll especially come from the pro Israel side. They're gonna dance all over him for this. He's basically backed down and now is going to be accused of being a coward as well as an anti Semite and all those other bullshit words those guys like throwing at anyone who disagrees with them. Shouldn't have opened his mouth to reply to it at all. heart was in the right place as always, but stand by it and own it, name and shame and expand to include al those countries(including his own) or say nothing and his point still would stand.

him replying to this was poorly advised.

I don't think anyone thinks Eddie Vedder is anti-Semite. And if they did, his statement clearly shows he is not. There is a huge distinction between Ed and Roger Waters.

Roger Waters has used hateful rhetoric comparing Israel to the Nazis and suggesting they are conducting a second Holocaust (this is particularly ludicrous), put the Star of David on a pig as a prop, and is for a boycott that I don't even want to legitimize by actually discussing it seriously (fortunately the Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Justin Timberlake, and so many others do not take him seriously).

In the letter Ed says "call me naive" and I did just that the other day in talking to friends. Ed is clearly not a hater and I think today's letter shows that. Nobody should equate him with Roger Waters. But Ed has views that I disagree with and regard as overly-simplistic on this topic. Israel is surrounded by countries that would destroy it without a seconds hesitation if they could. Actions being taken now are extremely unfortunate but necessary, made abundantly clear by the fact that Hamas refused the cease fire that was proposed by the Egyptians. All civilian casualties are horrible and it is a moral quandary as Peres said yesterday but if Israel was really conducting themselves without any regard for civilians, tens of thousands of Palestinians would be dead, not 200.
    the last 5 or 6 lines of your post just made me wretch..

so it's neccessary? al this is neccassary? giving people a few minutes warning before a bomb takes their house and anyone in it out?

youre making excuses fella..this is genocide..no other way to descrbe it. Israel has the best equipped army in the world(The US still has the receipts thats why they wont get involved) against a few people on the ground fighting for their homeland back.,...you wouldnt fight back if it was your country?

nobody ever seems to be able to answer that
    Let's think about this rationally. Israel has one of the most powerful militaries on the planet and they have dropped thousands of bombs on a densely populated area. Around 200 people have died. And you think there is genocide going on? Either the Israeli military is totally inept (and we know they are not) or I think you should study past operations by other countries and see how many people are killed in similar situations. It is many multiples above what is happening here. Israel goes to tremendous lengths to minimize civilian casualties.

As far as returning to their homeland, there is a legitimate country there and Israel is not going anywhere so there is no such place to return to. The Palestinians have been given many opportunities, starting in 1948 upon the creation of Israel, to live in peace. If Hamas, a terrorist organization that causes terror not only for Israelis but also for the Palestinians, wishes to continue with their current tactics, Israel will defend itself. It's that simple.

• Options
    sweetspotsweetspot Posts: 76
    I think what's happening here, in response to Eddie's comments, is a microcosm of what he, Eddie, is talking about. The Worldly and overall desire of hope & peace is diluted by bickering, here amongst us. Raise that to the Nth degree empowered by countries, and you have major conflict. Can't we start the peace locally? Can't we take the message between the majority of band followers and the band and prove it can exist between all cultural, demographic & religious divides?

Thanks Eddie, et al, for starting and following through with the conversation.
  • Options
    musicsam3musicsam3 Posts: 233
    …and still all this bullshit scorekeeping!

How can ANY of these acts by ANY of these people justify 1 dead human?
    "I'm right, you're right, he's right, she's right"
    THERE!
    feel better?
    Now visit a graveyard full of dead humans and their families and tell them who is right.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455

Why not let EV's beautiful sentiment stand alone here.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited July 2014
    It's all about an end to War and Killing...Well Said Ed.
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I like how this was written!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Ed Vedder said:

The majority of humans on this planet are more consumed by the
    pursuit of love, health, family, food and shelter than any kind of war.

With all the global achievements in modern technology,
    enhanced communication and information devices, cracking the
    human genome, land rovers on Mars etc., do we really have to
    resign ourselves to the devastating reality that conflict will be
    resolved with bombs, murder and acts of barbarism?

We are such a remarkable species. Capable of creating beauty.
    Capable of awe-inspiring advancements. We must be capable of
    resolving conflicts without bloodshed.

This is so simplisticly true

but what do we do?

how do we re-arrange what most countries have assimilated to be, building armies, guarding borders, us vs. them, the love of your country's flag ignites pride of what is "yours" and a skeptic guarded eye towards "outsiders"

Maybe one shouldn't fly his or her own country's flag, but instead another country's flag.

War Is probably the pinnacle of egotism.

We need a world flag.

.......or doily

• Options
    melissachunmelissachun Posts: 107
    I hear you, Eddie. You may not be our fuckin' Messiah, but, agree or disagree, I believe you strive to enlighten us and make the world a better place. And for that, I thank you.

"Won’t you listen to what the man said."

And fuck me if I say something you don't wanna hear, fuck me
    And fuck you, if you only hear what you wanna hear
    Fuck me if I care,... but I'm not leaving here
  • Options
    SivanMeriliSivanMerili Ashdod, Israel Posts: 133
    edited July 2014

you know that 'oh noooo' feeling when one of your team scores an own goal? thats what this feels like...
    Ed had only two realistic options in all this. Say fuckin nothing and stand by it. Or nail his colours to the mast and instead name all the countries he meant and both would have gotten him grief but respect too for expanding on his rant(which i agreed with verbatim).

Instead he chose the worst option. He did an immense backpeddalling 'here's what I meant to say' and for that he's going to get shit from every direction. I love the guy and even I dont buy it. And it'll especially come from the pro Israel side. They're gonna dance all over him for this. He's basically backed down and now is going to be accused of being a coward as well as an anti Semite and all those other bullshit words those guys like throwing at anyone who disagrees with them. Shouldn't have opened his mouth to reply to it at all. heart was in the right place as always, but stand by it and own it, name and shame and expand to include al those countries(including his own) or say nothing and his point still would stand.

him replying to this was poorly advised.

It made me smile. The image.
  • Options
    wishlisa76wishlisa76 Sweden Posts: 806
    Eddie, I have always been proud of being a fan of your band. After reading your letter, I´m even more proud. PEACE and take care.
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"

PJ in Stockholm, Sweden, 7th July 2012. EV solo in London, 31st July 2012. PJ in Stockholm 28th of June 2014. PJ in Milton Keynes UK, 11th of July 2014, Eddie solo in London 6th of June 2017. PJ London 18th of June, 2018, and 17th of July, 2018.
  • Options
    Thank You Ed for reaching out. I too am beginning to despair over all the destructive behavior that is hurting Mankind, and all other sentient living beings. Including the rapid destruction and exploitation of our beautiful Mother Earth . Thank You Ed for sharing that You see Peace and kindness in many different People in all Your walks through life. Reading this gave me a glimpse into the hope for the "Humanity" in Humans and for Our collective potential to rise above.Thank You and Pearl Jam for being my Hero's once more:)! Sincerely from my heart ♥...
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,934
    Currently, I’m full of hope. That hope springs from the multitudes of
    people that our band has been fortunate enough to play for night
    after night here in Europe. To see flags of so many different nations,
    and to have these huge crowds gathered peacefully and joyfully is
    the exact inspiration behind the words I felt the need to emphatically relay.
    When attempting to make a plea for more peace in the world at a rock concert,
    we are reflecting the feelings of all those we have come in contact with
    so we may all have a better understanding of each other. - EV

The 'Bring PJ to Israel' group will jump on this I expect and say why not join people together in peace at a concert in their country. Be interesting to see a poll of how many fans who did the recent Euro tour would have added an Israel show (time off and money permitting). I know they have that anti-missile system, but I'd have ducked that show personally for self preservation reasons. Does that make me an ignorant coward? Considering how much care Ed puts into the wellbeing of fans down the front at gigs, he really isn't going to encourage fans to come see PJ in a warzone no matter how powerful a statement of peace some may see it as...or maybe his words were clear enough this time.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406
  • Options
    I come from a country with an ongoing conflict, and living my whole life in peace but the kind of peace that's so fragile that every single time I wake up in the middle of the night from a loud thunder or bang my heart throbs in fear of an air invasion.

My dad was a prisoner of war and is one of those incredibly lucky people that managed to get out, alive.

To me war (and the possibility of it) is both real and unreal, all at the same time.

Eddies message, is one that we should all hold close to our hearts.

I'm a fan of this band because of the music and because of the set of people that forms it. The fact that Eddie and other like-minded public figures think they way they do, have a voice and understand that its important to use that voice, makes me feel both hopeful and calm.

Rock and Roll!
  • Options
    PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    Kudos to you, Ed! If we are hopeful and express our feelings, what is wrong with that?

"You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will be as one."

Peace...
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Options
    Miss TerriMiss Terri Bucksport, ME USA Posts: 24
    Heartfelt and simply stated. Thank you, Ed, for having the balls to (always) speak your mind and for encouraging others to do the same. Pearl Jam, for me, has been a spiritual awakening, through the lyrics/music. You guys inspire me every day to be the best possible version of myself, to never give up hope and to believe all things are possible. Keep on keeping on!!!
    Makes much more sense to live in the present tense....

Vedder-Boston 6/16/2011
    Pearl Jam~Worcester, MA 10/15/2013
    Pearl Jam~Fenway Park 8/07/2016
  • Options
    Windermere11Windermere11 Earth Posts: 133
    Kat said:

— Eddie Vedder

Personally, I feel our species isn't so remarkable... Imagine a world with only butterflies, kittens and rabbits with glasses... Now that would be fun!!!

Thank you Mike!!!

1990 12/22
    1991 2/1,26; 3/1; 5/25; 8/23,29
    1992 1/3,17; 7/22; 9/20
    1993 9/5; 10/25; 12/7,8,9
    1995 6/24; 11/4
    1998 7/10,11,13,14
    2000 10/22,25,28,30
    2003 6/2,3,5,6; 10/28
    2006 7/6,7,9,10,12,13; 11/30; 12/2,9
    2009 9/30; 10/1,6,7,9
    2010 5/1
    2013 11/21,23,24
    2014 10/25
    2016 11/14
    2018 8/8,10
    2021 9/26; 10/1,2
    2022 5/3,6,7
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    myoung321 said:

What amazes me is the backlash... Eddie has spoke out against war and guns for years.. Bushleager , Glorified G...hell lots of songs...?.... But now you're upset? I sense spin in the worse possible way... So people are upset about Eddie speaking out at a rock concert, but silent when people are being killed .... hmmmm I think those people that are upset should re-check priorities and remember People are DYING and your feelings are hurt from Eddie's words???? shame on you....

Keep talking Eddie. In Fact SHOUT... fuk'em

Completely agree. I really couldn't care which side is to blame in any conflict, I just wish war would stop.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    barbbarb Italy Posts: 14
    Yes. Just stop war. Any war. Now. Please.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Kat said:

— Eddie Vedder

Personally, I feel our species isn't so remarkable... Imagine a world with only butterflies, kittens and rabbits with glasses... Now that would be fun!!!

Don't forget Rainbows and Unicorns
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    In a sad world full of hatred,confusion,greed,anger and heartbreaking war.
    One thing we are so lucky to share is not only the brilliant music PJ give us but the bond of strangers united at a Pearl Jam concert is one of greatest feelings I have experienced.
    My son and I follow the tours when they come to Australia and if 10% of the togetherness and bonded feeling's from a show could go beyond the stadium walls,well what a much better place this world would be,so I suppose it is up to us on an individual level to do our little bit to change the ugliness so prevalent throughout the world.No we can't' stop a war but we can sit and reflect on what we have and how lucky we actually are especially comparing our lives with all the innocent caught up in wars they can't escape from.
    Thanks PJ and Thanks EV ,it's bigger than the music,the millions in this PJ family are so lucky.
    It is great to read the togetherness goes to the six on stage that provide it to us,not that I ever doubted it wouldn't .
    WE'RE SAFE TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    Beautiful words by EV, and very well worded. I am anti war - imagine that.

I just find it a shame there was such a bullshit backlash in the first place that made him feel compelled to write this. His sentiments are I like to think within us all, he just used his platform to convey them in a moment of passionate outburst, yes they are perhaps overtly simple and unrealistic in todays world, but they are perfect nonetheless.....No more war. Nothing more nothing less.

If someone wants to take from what he said their own meaning, and get all pissy about something they interpret that was directed at their government and not their people, then that is rather sad.

but then, we live in a world where everything is about 'me'. perhaps that's why things will never change
  • Options
    lemminglemming Posts: 31
  • Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444
    Classy response, as sad as it is that it still seems to be necessary to explain why someone is anti-war.

It's interesting how quickly people jump to conclusions after a general statement (even the taking land comment fits several of the current conflicts). The iceberg principle is alive and well.

All of you who are directly affected, wherever you are: I hope you and your loved ones stay safe and there will soon be an end to the fighting.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    "Don't see some men as half empty
    See them half full of shit
    Thinking that we're all but slaves

Won't someone save?
    Won't someone save
    The world?"

Never has this been more true. The world needs saving from the corporations and governments ruining our world with war, money and greed.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    aennilaennil Posts: 415
    Very, very well said, thank you Eddie!
  • Options
    IrenkaIrenka Posts: 2
    I dream with you and hope some day....
  • Options
    Let's try today. Please people... Take your feelings of the conflict out (hard to do... I know).

Eddie has long called his communication with his fans "a dialogue". A-two way street... It is one of the reasons I have continued to enjoy PJ. There were a group of fans upset about the meaning of his words. The reaction actually caused Eddie to think and draft a response that did nothing to quell the outrage... Only pissed on the audacity of fans to actually question our fearless rock god!

So I ask again... Why not address those people specifically who were outraged? It is possible to support the suffrage of the Palestinian and Israeli population while denouncing war by Israel and Hamas. These two are absolutely mutually exclusive in the context of peace and love... One world... Flags flying in unison at shows... No war!

Eddie- sorry but this is some weak ass sauce that you brought to the table. Seems to me that you can't condemn a government like Hamas or Israel (by name) because you are actually too afraid to offend all of your liberal "peace-loving" buddies.

Drop Rodger's leash!

Note- just because some of my comments were answered and taken to another level. Eddie is a loving guy with a huge heart. I aspire to help as many people as he has in his life, and have done some pretty good work at the age of 40. He is not anti-Semitic as some would lead you to believe or some want to paint me as believing.

I just think his spin is bullshit and no different then we hear from our governments.
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Well said Eddie !
    It is so incredible and seems to be so stupid to have to fight to explain an idea about peace !
    I'm totally agree with you.
    How can we listen to Pearl Jam Music, love this music and this band and be disagree ?
    Music and words form a whole. This is an art, and as an art, freedom and self expression are the law.
    I think people's inconsistency is a source of war...
    Your constancy is one of the reasons I love Pearl Jam for more than 20 years.
    If the fighting against wars were about to succeed, I would understand your silence after all those years. But it's definitely not the case and I'm glad (and grateful !) you come down in favour of peace. I didn't expect less from you !

Peace ...and Love
    And take care...we need you so much !
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    rollings said:

Ed Vedder said:

The majority of humans on this planet are more consumed by the
    pursuit of love, health, family, food and shelter than any kind of war.

With all the global achievements in modern technology,
    enhanced communication and information devices, cracking the
    human genome, land rovers on Mars etc., do we really have to
    resign ourselves to the devastating reality that conflict will be
    resolved with bombs, murder and acts of barbarism?

This is so simplisticly true

but what do we do?

how do we re-arrange what most countries have assimilated to be, building armies, guarding borders, us vs. them, the love of your country's flag ignites pride of what is "yours" and a skeptic guarded eye towards "outsiders"

Maybe one shouldn't fly his or her own country's flag, but instead another country's flag.

War Is probably the pinnacle of egotism.

We need a world flag.

.......or doily

2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
This discussion has been closed.