Options

Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited July 2014

Eddie is a good man..someone's gotta take the torch from John Lennon....

Ed may feel enough internal pressure already. Let's not add.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Bring the message of cross-cultural communication and tolerance into the affected area. Don't yell from the sidelines.

Pj's a band. They play music just happen to have unique ability to talk to many young humans directly. Some times it helps ? Sometimes it doesn't. They have absolutely no responsibilities and take on more due to their good hearts and empathy. Peace needs to come from inside but from all citizens of the world, not from my favorite band.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    callen said:

His own words brought on the torch passing from John Lennon. But that''s a good thing. They are both great men.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

MayDay10 said:

Great words. I'm sure people will twist it around as negative somehow... those people must work for Lockheed Martin

So the release clarifies what for those who were upset?
    I agree that it does nothing to clarify the controversy. He basically continued his speech; let his words stand. He did make it clear it wasn't addressed to any one nation, but didn't absolve those who felt slighted. It seems like some people want a pass on their violence. He isn't biting.
    Good for him.
    I am not looking for a pass on violence.

I am even more curious now that he (and others) have had time to digest the reaction.

He chose not to be silent in a reaction. Kudos. But didn't address the negative reaction at all. Frankly, he just took a piss on it. I am sure there are many that are happy about that.

The simple way to silence a lot of the outrage is to place blame on Israel and Hamas for putting people in harms way.

Anti war... $$ wasted... Peace and love!

Done. Story over.

But for some reason, that wasn't included. Or maybe I'm just naive...
    It's a band. They play music. Freakin awesome music I might add. Ed and the band don't owe anyone anything, period.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    You keep doing what you feel is right -- this what each of us has the responsibility to ourselves and to our trusted/loved ones to do.
    As another great artist wrote about the Masters of War --
    You've thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain't worth the blood
    That runs in your veins.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    The initial analysis of Eddie's word here were correct.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/235373/jerusalem-post-ben-red-completely-off-base-in-criticism-of-eddie-and-pearl-jam/p1

An anti-war speech and nothing more. I think the Jerusalem Post and Ben Red owe Eddie Vedder an apology for referring to it as an "anti-Israel diatribe".
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Let's try today. Please people... Take your feelings of the conflict out (hard to do... I know).

Eddie has long called his communication with his fans "a dialogue". A-two way street... It is one of the reasons I have continued to enjoy PJ. There were a group of fans upset about the meaning of his words. The reaction actually caused Eddie to think and draft a response that did nothing to quell the outrage... Only pissed on the audacity of fans to actually question our fearless rock god!

So I ask again... Why not address those people specifically who were outraged? It is possible to support the suffrage of the Palestinian and Israeli population while denouncing war by Israel and Hamas. These two are absolutely mutually exclusive in the context of peace and love... One world... Flags flying in unison at shows... No war!

Eddie- sorry but this is some weak ass sauce that you brought to the table. Seems to me that you can't condemn a government like Hamas or Israel (by name) because you are actually too afraid to offend all of your liberal "peace-loving" buddies.

Drop Rodger's leash!

Note- just because some of my comments were answered and taken to another level. Eddie is a loving guy with a huge heart. I aspire to help as many people as he has in his life, and have done some pretty good work at the age of 40. He is not anti-Semitic as some would lead you to believe or some want to paint me as believing.

I just think his spin is bullshit and no different then we hear from our governments.

dude/dudette LET IT GO! Just because you feel that way doesn't mean much...seems like most do not agree. I personally think your take on this is childish. When your words get twisted you repeat them and let them stand. You dont allow the twister to make you ammend your statement. You repeat and move on. Calling out Hamas and Israel only legitimizes the arguments that are going nowhere. Just enjoy a beautiful statement from a man who is CLASSY ENOUGH NOT TO DOUBLE-DOWN OR BACKPEDAL, smart enough to make their anger look childish with his calm pleas for peas.
    Personally i love it! And it opened so many eyes to the fact that blind support for israel doesnt have to be the future like it was in recent past. The tide is turning just like it is on same sex relations, drug prohibition, and money in politics.
    Rock on Ed and never stop speaking your mind, on albums, on stage, and in life.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

Yes and JL would be proud.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options

you know that 'oh noooo' feeling when one of your team scores an own goal? thats what this feels like...

Your problem is that you were under the assumption that Eddie played on your team. He doesn't. He is anti-war in total and doesn't embrace one side over the other. Accept it. He doesn't owe you or anyone else more then that.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    rgambs said:

When your words get twisted you repeat them and let them stand. You dont allow the twister to make you ammend your statement. You repeat and move on. Calling out Hamas and Israel only legitimizes the arguments that are going nowhere. Just enjoy a beautiful statement from a man who is CLASSY ENOUGH NOT TO DOUBLE-DOWN OR BACKPEDAL, smart enough to make their anger look childish with his calm pleas for peas.

Yeah, this is I think the strongest takeaway from his statement. It may have been inspired in part by Israel, but it was never solely about Israel. He doesn't have to apologize to anyone who chose to read more into his words than what was there. He also doesn't have to reaffirm support for the Palestinian cause when that too was not part of his rant.

Pretty sure I wouldn't have handled this in as classy a fashion as did Eddie Vedder. I am impressed, sir.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

He did an immense backpeddalling 'here's what I meant to say' and for that he's going to get shit from every direction. I love the guy and even I dont buy it. And it'll especially come from the pro Israel side. They're gonna dance all over him for this. He's basically backed down and now is going to be accused of being a coward as well as an anti Semite and all those other bullshit words those guys like throwing at anyone who disagrees with them.

I'm pro Israel. I never needed Eddie's response. I understood that he was anti-war and was not choosing a side. This is not "backpedalling". It is an affirmation in words that might be easier for you to understand. I'm not dancing or accusing him of being a coward or an anti-semite. Some of us on here were mature enough to understand the original speech and to recognize that Eddie wasn't raising a banner in support of your cause.
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    I really don't know how to feel about all of this. Generally, I feel kind of numb to the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East. That may sound apathetic, but I think I'm just war-weary and hopeless that it will ever end. As long as the religious fervor remains, there will be conflict and bloodshed. To me, that's just the harsh, sad reality and I feel powerless to do anything about it in my everyday life. I have enough of my own issues and problems to deal with that I can't even fathom spending hours of my day thinking or reading about it. I hit the highlights, read the headlines, and occasionally delve into a full article. To preserve my own sanity and well-being, I don't go much further than that.

I respect Eddie's efforts in communicating his feelings to a large group of people. I've read his comments on stage (haven't watched the video yet). Sounds like the profanity-laden speech probably didn't convey his true feelings. I'm sure he got caught up in the emotion of being on stage and what he let rip came across as angry and anti-Israel. His written response to the backlash was well-crafted and thoughtful and I certainly agree with just about all of it.

Bottom-line, he has a right to his opinion. The way he went about it is going to rub some people the wrong way and he has to live with the backlash. I respect him for standing up to it and clarifying his opinion. I just hope he has come to terms with the things he cannot change in the world.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    BS44325 said:

He did an immense backpeddalling 'here's what I meant to say' and for that he's going to get shit from every direction. I love the guy and even I dont buy it. And it'll especially come from the pro Israel side. They're gonna dance all over him for this. He's basically backed down and now is going to be accused of being a coward as well as an anti Semite and all those other bullshit words those guys like throwing at anyone who disagrees with them.

I'm pro Israel. I never needed Eddie's response. I understood that he was anti-war and was not choosing a side. This is not "backpedalling". It is an affirmation in words that might be easier for you to understand. I'm not dancing or accusing him of being a coward or an anti-semite. Some of us on here were mature enough to understand the original speech and to recognize that Eddie wasn't raising a banner in support of your cause.
    Sure you did, that's why you've been responding on this thread topic. And if you think ed DIDNT raise a banner then you are truly delusional. Look at how many people are reading up and informing themselves on this conflict now. Maybe that was his intention all along. Raise awareness of what's going on. I still dnt understand how people think this wasn't about Israel/Palestine. Nothing he wrote in the imagine peace has "vetoed" my original beliefs. If anything, he didn't back pedal like some (Rihanna & D Howard) but sort of said he's anti-war and you can do with it what u want. Would've been a lot better for all if he just came out and specifically said Israel/Palestine but he has his reasons and I'm sure they're good. Reading the comments on the YouTube video would scare just about anyone.
  • Options
    The thing that I think hasn't been stressed enough is that Ed is still in Europe and still has another show to play. We don't know what kind of threats, legitimate or otherwise, have been made. We don't know what the security concerns are for tomorrow. Yet he stuck to his message and did not backtrack. As I said earlier, I am impressed.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Thanks, Ed. I'll always listen when you speak.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    JimmyV said:

The thing that I think hasn't been stressed enough is that Ed is still in Europe and still has another show to play. We don't know what kind of threats, legitimate or otherwise, have been made. We don't know what the security concerns are for tomorrow. Yet he stuck to his message and did not backtrack. As I said earlier, I am impressed.

Yeah, seems to me he didn't backtrack but clarified/added to what he initially said.

Shit, how often do we all go back and edit our posts? Or make our words and intent clearer?

An aside - I got totally thrown by your change in avatar, dammit. Funny how we associate these things.
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    Sarava said:

callen said:

His own words brought on the torch passing from John Lennon. But that''s a good thing. They are both great men.
    Eddie will never be John Lennon.... Period
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    “Today everybody is talking about the fact that we live in one world; because of globalization, we are all part of the same planet. They talk that way, but do they mean it? We should remind them that the words of the Declaration [of Independence] apply not only to people in this country, but also to people all over the world. People everywhere have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. When the government becomes destructive of that, then it is patriotic to dissent and to criticize - to do what we always praise and call heroic when we look upon the dissenters and critics in totalitarian countries who dare to speak out.”
    ― Howard Zinn, Artists in Times of War and Other Essays

“Nations are not communities and never have been. The history of any country, presented as the history of a family, conceals the fierce conflicts of interest (sometimes exploding, often repressed) between conquerors and conquered, masters and slaves, capitalists and workers, dominators and dominated in race and sex. And in such as world of conflict, a world of victims and executioners, it is the job of thinking people, as Albert Camus suggested, not to be on the side of the executioners.”
    ― Howard Zinn, A People's History of the United States: 1492 – Present

“Any humane and reasonable person must conclude that if the ends, however desireable, are uncertain and the means are horrible and certain, these means must not be employed.”
    ― Howard Zinn, Passionate Declarations: Essays on War and Justice

“The memory of oppressed people is one thing that cannot be taken away, and for such people, with such memories, revolt is always an inch below the surface.”
    ― Howard Zinn, A People's History of the United States: 1492 - Present

“the most revolutionary act one can engage in is... to tell the truth.”
    ― Howard Zinn, Marx in Soho: A Play on History
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    KV4053 said:

Why not let EV's beautiful sentiment stand alone here.

Irenka said:

I dream with you and hope some day....

Thank you, Ed!
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    rollings said:

Ed Vedder said:

The majority of humans on this planet are more consumed by the
    pursuit of love, health, family, food and shelter than any kind of war.

With all the global achievements in modern technology,
    enhanced communication and information devices, cracking the
    human genome, land rovers on Mars etc., do we really have to
    resign ourselves to the devastating reality that conflict will be
    resolved with bombs, murder and acts of barbarism?

We are such a remarkable species. Capable of creating beauty.
    Capable of awe-inspiring advancements. We must be capable of
    resolving conflicts without bloodshed.

This is so simplisticly true

but what do we do?

how do we re-arrange what most countries have assimilated to be, building armies, guarding borders, us vs. them, the love of your country's flag ignites pride of what is "yours" and a skeptic guarded eye towards "outsiders"

Maybe one shouldn't fly his or her own country's flag, but instead another country's flag.

War Is probably the pinnacle of egotism.

We need a world flag.

.......or doily

image Well put.
    As a German, I am not keen on flying my country's flag anyways. Not in Germany, not anywhere else. Now a world flag or a doily...

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,483
    Ed, as usual, completely nailed it. Nice work.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    Thanks, for posting! Very Nice and by the way hearts and thoughts <3<3<3
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Sonja_SSonja_S Vienna Posts: 444

rollings said:

Ed Vedder said:

We need a world flag.

.......or doily

image Well put.
    As a German, I am not keen on flying my country's flag anyways. Not in Germany, not anywhere else. Now a world flag or a doily...

I'm in the same boat (Austrian), but I'd be willing to dust off my crochet hooks for a world doily. :)>-
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Options
    hedonist said:

An aside - I got totally thrown by your change in avatar, dammit. Funny how we associate these things.

Ha! Truth be told, I changed it late last night and it threw me this morning too. :-)

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited July 2014

Empathy, not apathy.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    Ed's message sure has new meaning to me with what just happened over the Ukraine today.

A passenger plane with 295 aboard collateral damage of war.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    How dare you speak your disdain for anything of the following:
    war, suicide bombing, terrorism, human rights violations, environmental catastrophes by corporate pollution, religious intolerance, inequality, etc...
    What kind of environmentally conscious, peace loving, respectful humanitarian are you?

Long live freedom of speech!! Thanks for caring Mr. EV. =D> ^:)^
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
This discussion has been closed.