Gaslight Anthem

Comments

• binaural2002binaural2002 Germany Posts: 2,367
    Now in the moment, I started listening to the new album. But so far, it sounds very good!
    Pearl Jam 11 / 306 / 121
    96 Zurich - 00 RaR - 07 Munich - 10 Berlin - 12 Berlin² - 14 Amsterdam² Berlin - 18 Berlin - 22 Zurich
    Eddie Vedder 1 / 27 / 27
    19 Düsseldorf
    Watch my videos on YouTube
    Pearl Jam/ Eddie Vedder Setlist-statistics in Google Drive-document >>>click here<<<
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Never heard anything by these guys before. What album should I start with? What kind of sound do they have?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    LukinFan wrote:
    Never heard anything by these guys before. What album should I start with? What kind of sound do they have?

they are pretty famous because they are somewhat of a punk band, sort of punk influenced rock music punk influenced indie. But they are from new jersey, hugely influenced by bruce. You can tell immediately when the lead singer sings. And they have built a reputation for writing similar style songs to bruce. About cars, women, youth, not wasting life, seizing the day etc... Very anthemic music. Bruce is a major fan, i think his son introduced him to the band, and bruce has invited them on stage several times. So basically if bruce fronted a punk band.

their breakthrough album is 59 Sound
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    LukinFan wrote:

I'd go with '59 Sound as well.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    Wow wow wow
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    LukinFan wrote:

they are pretty famous because they are somewhat of a punk band, sort of punk influenced rock music punk influenced indie. But they are from new jersey, hugely influenced by bruce. You can tell immediately when the lead singer sings. And they have built a reputation for writing similar style songs to bruce. About cars, women, youth, not wasting life, seizing the day etc... Very anthemic music. Bruce is a major fan, i think his son introduced him to the band, and bruce has invited them on stage several times. So basically if bruce fronted a punk band.

their breakthrough album is 59 Sound
    ComeToTX wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

I'd go with '59 Sound as well.

Cool - I'll check it out. Thank you!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • binaural2002binaural2002 Germany Posts: 2,367
    Seems to be the right to get in a good contact to the band, You' ll love it. I hope so ...
    Pearl Jam 11 / 306 / 121
    96 Zurich - 00 RaR - 07 Munich - 10 Berlin - 12 Berlin² - 14 Amsterdam² Berlin - 18 Berlin - 22 Zurich
    Eddie Vedder 1 / 27 / 27
    19 Düsseldorf
    Watch my videos on YouTube
    Pearl Jam/ Eddie Vedder Setlist-statistics in Google Drive-document >>>click here<<<
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Too Much Blood seems to be along the same lines as Blood by PJ. Probably my favorite after 3 listens.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    solace23 wrote:
    Wow wow wow

Yup
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Can't wait for my copy to arrive, I am really hoping for Monday!
    I'm refusing to listen to the leak...
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    Wooo glad to see the pj community is getting behind GLA. Especially since they are HUGE PJ fans!!!

I first got into them hearing american slang. After really loving that album, I got 59 sound which is AMAZING!! Recently got sink or swim which is much more punk based, much more raw, but still excellent.

Been killing NPRs sight listening to the new album non stop the last couple of days. I thought "45" was one of the most perfect songs when released, but man this entire album is just soo great. If they do not blow up after this, then rock music is really dead, as this thing is soo good.

Hanwritten - love the lead guitar part in the chorus.
    Hear comes my man - love the bridge and end chorus.
    Mulholland Drive - fantastic outro solo
    Keepsake - another good rocker
    Too much blood - soundgardesque
    Howl - 2 mins of rock and roll
    Biloxi parish - love the guitar work
    Desire - another great rocker, great hooks
    Mae - maybe the best song on the record great lyrics
    National Anthem - great quite closer

If you have not listened to this band, give them a chance, they rock!
    Really hoping they give the new album some play at the Webster Hall show Tuesday.

I mean it is the album release day...
  • NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    I never thought a band would take Alice in Chains' spot as my #2, but these guys have done it. Seen them twice now, and will be seeing them a 3rd in September....and I'm deeply in love. Phenomenal. REALLY stoked for "Handwritten"..
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I did a piece on their DC show Friday night. My review of their new record will be published hopefully later today.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/turn-th ... ts_article
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
    I just had 2 friends bail on tomorrows show and posted the tickets in the LD forum if anyone is interested.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    I just had 2 friends bail on tomorrows show and posted the tickets in the LD forum if anyone is interested.

PM Sent

PM Sent

Tix are sold
  • DavieBDavieB Posts: 222
    Long shot, but I know my fellow Jammers are worth a try! :D

I really wanted to go to the TGA Glasgow O2 Academy show in October. Work commitments were stacked against me, but suddenly all tumbled down, but too late, as the show has now sold out!! :cry:

Don't suppose anyone has spares, or knows of anyone/anywhere still selling tickets?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks.
    Keepsake is really growing on me
    I can definitely hear a lot of pearl jam in keepsake. Prob my favourite album of this year
  • LH255703LH255703 Posts: 112
    What a great album. Will be the soundtrack of this summer!
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    My pre-ordered copy of the album has been delayed, I'll probably not get it until I get back from seeing Ed mid next week - gutted!
    Might have to download it or buy the CD locally :?
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • NoCode1996NoCode1996 Posts: 75
    already my album of the year... discovered this lot through Rock Sound Mag in UK, 2007. They had Ida called you Woody, Joe on some free cd... was hooked to it and fished out Sink or Swim... Was and remains in my top 10 albums of all time, such a special record. While the band have never been as heavy as on that record, they remain one of those few bands (like Pearl Jam) where you can feel the emotion in the songs.

American Slang was a big let down for me and rarely gets played, though a few tacks make it on to my mixed playlist for them, Handwritten though is a beauty!!!! MORE PEOPLE NEED TO DISCOVER THIS BAND

Nice playlist to get into them

59 Sound
    High Lonesome
    Coulda been a Contender
    Wooderson
    Drive
    Ferris Wheel
    Blue Jeans white Tshirt
    Mullholland Drive
    Howl
    Ida called you Woody, Joe
    Casanova Baby
    Stay Luky
    Boxer
    White Lincoln
    Mae
    Here's Looking at your Kid
    National Anthem
    Backseat
    Behind her eyes there's curtains and they've been closed to hide the flames. Remains.
    She knows their futures burning but she can smile just the same. Same.
    And though her mood is fine today there's a fear they'll soon be parting ways.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Anyone get the deluxe edition? I wasn't even aware there was one, but went to the local record store and saw it, so picked it up.

There's 3 extra songs- Blue Dahlia, Sliver, & You Got Lucky
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    I have the itunes deluxe edition which also has another song in addition to those 3, Teenage Rebellion.

Watched the live chat with Brian today was pretty cool. Someone asked him the coolest celebrity he met and he said Eddie (and Lars). Said sometimes you talk to someone famous and you can tell they arent listening. He said eddie was very engaged and really down to earth. He also said he has a room where he does a lot of writing and on the wall is a picture of Eddie singing in front of Roger Daultry I think, and how for him, he sees eddie there singing with one of his idols in the background and how looking at eddie on the wall makes him think, "would eddie Approve of this" or something like that.

Cant say enough about this record, its unreal.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    love love love this album. Handwritten, Keepsake, Too Much Blood are my favorites right now. I've been a huge Gaslight fan since I heard 59 Sound when it first came out. This album has really put this band over the top for me.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    GREAT album!! These guys just keep getting better. Bummed that I can't see them live at Lolla or Riot Fest...they'll be in Chicago twice within a month and I can't go to either. Ahh well...hopefully they'll play a proper show soon...
    Any love for the horrible crowes?
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    still waiting for the music stores in Brisbane to get the deluxe version in- there has been a delay. Refuse to listen to it until I have the CD in hand.

Like Solace23 mentioned...if you haven't checked out Brian Fallon's side project " The Horrible Crowes", have a listen to their album "Elsie". VERY good album- similar to Gaslight sound, but not as full of a sound. Blood Loss is one of my fav songs by any band- LOVE it
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Handwritten was the first album I've listened to by this band and I must say I didn't like it one bit. Very standard and bland to my ears. Maybe this wasn't the best place to start with them but seeing as people are really enjoying it maybe it doesn't matter so much. Maybe I'll try again some other time.