Vaccinate your kids?

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Just read an article that cases of Autism are up 78% in the last decade. I guess there's a correlation with fewer parents vaccinating their children.

What the fuck are people thinking NOT vaccinating their kids? Why is this such a big trend now?Does polio sounds appealing all of a sudden?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I agree. It seems cool these days to go against common sense.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I thought the reason people were NOT vaccinating their kids was because vaccines contain additives like mercury in them, and parents were scared of the toxins causing autism.

My chiropractor has 3 kids, hasn't vaccinated any of them. I think they are ages 5-10. His reasons are the one I listed and he is a 'purist', organic everything, gets stuff from overseas that have stricter regulations on processing then the US does. He's not from the US either.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Please do. Check the studies and help from spreading dangerous diseases to our kids.
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    edited March 2012
    http://www.autismsciencefoundation.org/ ... cines.html

Beyond the Autism/Vaccine Hypothesis: What Parents Need to Know about Autism Research
    It’s been so rewarding to see the scientific progress being made toward understanding what causes autism and in developing better treatments for individuals with autism. While there are still a handful of parents who, in almost a religious way, cling to the notion that vaccines cause autism, the vast majority of parents and scientists have accepted what the data clearly show. There is no data to support an autism vaccine link. There never has been. Vaccines don’t cause autism.

A decade ago most agreed that we need to study vaccines in relation to autism. We had to reconcile the fact that the number of vaccines children were receiving was increasing, and at the same time, the number of children who were being diagnosed with autism also was on the rise. But fortunately this was a question that could be studied – and answered – by science. We looked at children who received vaccines and those who didn’t, or who received them on a different, slower schedule. There was no difference in their neurological outcomes. We’ve done multiple studies looking at the measles, mumps and rubella vaccination in relation to autism. We’ve looked at thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative, and its relation to autism. The studies are very clear; there is no relationship in the data between vaccines and autism. Read the studies themselves below.

It’s Time to Ask New Questions
    If we ask the same questions we’ll get the same answers. We’ve asked the autism vaccine question over two dozen times and each time we get the same response; no relationship. We need to move on; We need to invest in studying genetics, the brain structures of children with autism, and environmental factors that may be playing a role.
    Post edited by bionicamy on
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I thought the reason people were NOT vaccinating their kids was because vaccines contain additives like mercury in them, and parents were scared of the toxins causing autism.

My chiropractor has 3 kids, hasn't vaccinated any of them. I think they are ages 5-10. His reasons are the one I listed and he is a 'purist', organic everything, gets stuff from overseas that have stricter regulations on processing then the US does. He's not from the US either.

I believe there is only one vaccine given in the US which contains thimerosal (which contains mercury), and I also believe it's one of the "flu shot" vaccines. But, not all batches of the "flu shot" contain this. In other words, it is possible to get a T-free vaccination for influenza. The CDC has never found a link between autism and vaccinations.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I still question the link between autism and vaccines.

I think If I was a parent who had just had their child vaccinated
    and a marked change occurred in their human bonding,
    and subsequently my child was tested and found to be autistic,
    this after the fact...
    I would think it was more than a coincidence, too.

Gotta imagine living this to understand and lots of parents have.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I'm not so sure about the link between autism and vaccinations.

I'd say one big reason as to why the number of autism cases have been rising is the fact that we now have more knowledge and can diagnose someone as autistic instead of uh-I-dunno. Of course on the other side is declaring someone as autistic because they have a few tendencies, but don't entirely fit the bill.

:think:

In any case, until it's proven, I won't buy the vaccination :arrow: autism theory.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    pandora wrote:

this after the fact...

My wife and I both teach children with autism and I don't think there's any relation between vaccinations and autism. Signs of autism can appear as early as 14 months which happens to be inside the timeframe where most children are being vaccinated. I believe this is purely coincidental and the science shows no link.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I thought this anti-vaccine nonsense was over. The media coverage seems to have calmed down in the northeast US as far as I can tell now that the tables have turned on the "issue" and the anti-vacc people are more commonly seen as fear mongering quacks.
    "Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys."

Can we imagine if vaccines were found through studies to cause autism...
  • antares434antares434 Posts: 110
    pandora wrote:

this after the fact...

Two major problems with this line of reasoning.

1) anecdotal evidence is not proof
    2) post hoc ergo proctor hoc - just because one event follows another does not mean that there is a correlation. You need additional proof to show a causal link.

Not vaccinating your kids is dangerous ... To your kids and other peoples' kids.
    antares434 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

this after the fact...

Not vaccinating your kids is dangerous ... To your kids and other peoples' kids.
    I totally agree ... just understanding those parents who feel vaccines are a link to their
    child's autism and understanding those parents who choose not to vaccinate.
    Not endorsing... just understanding.
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    pandora wrote:
    antares434 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

this after the fact...

I totally agree ... just understanding those parents who feel vaccines are a link to their
    child's autism and understanding those parents who choose not to vaccinate.
    Not endorsing... just understanding.

Rate of Autism has increased due to parents and physicians being more aware. Children are now being diagnosed with autism where they would have been classified in the past with other disorders and or learning disabilities. That's why there appears to be such a sharp spike.

It does better identify just how many children are affected and how large of an issue this is. People are taking notice and figuring out what the causes are... But they have ruled out vaccines. As the other poster said it is just unfortunate that the signs appear around the same time as the vaccines for some children.

http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(03)00113-2/abstract
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    My sister is still convinced that vaccines caused autism in my nephew. I am aware of the lack of scientific evidence. Back then I think they still had mercury, which has since been removed from almost all vaccines.

My boys are getting all the vaccines but we have forced the doctor to spread them out a little bit. 5 vaccines at once for a 2 month old? Come on.

Yeah, pretty stupid not to do it. Babies can die from whooping cough. Polio is practically extinct except for a few African countries but everything seems to come back eventually, so...

It's hard - a lot to think about.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-s ... 8519.story

Hepatitis B shot on day of birth is filled with mercury ...

Government program started in 1990...

http://www.mercuryexposure.info/context ... ere-autism
    Effective excretionof mercury will lead to higher hair, blood and urine mercury levels in a population that is beingexposed to mercury at a constant, chronic, low level. The problem comes when those, who do noteffectively excrete mercury, become exposed to a large dose, such as infants already exposed to mercury during pregnancy and who in addition received thimerosal containing hepatitis-B vaccines on the day of birth. The USA EPA set a standard of exposure on the safe level of ingested methyl mercury of 0.1 mg/kg body weight. Using this safety level, the newborn would have had to weigh 125 kg to take this exposure safely."); Haley B.,Mercury toxicity: Genetic susceptibility and synergistic effects, Medical Veritas 2 (2005) 535–542535 ("This data in Figure 2 show that normal children have birth hair levels of mercury that correlate with the number of amalgam fillings in the birth mother; whereas, in sharp contrast, the autistic children have exceptionally low levels of birth hair mercury, no matter what the number of amalgam fillings are found in the birth mother. This data strongly implies that autistic children represent a subset of the population that does not effectively excrete mercury from their cells."

Hep B vaccine also linked to a form of deadly Lupus
    http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/ ... ses-lupus/
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Don't schools require students to be vaccinated? My sister-in-law didn't want to vaccinate her daughter but she was forced to when she started school. So for parents that don't want to vaccinate, do they then have to home school? I honestly don't have an opinion on it either way seeing as I don't have kids, I'm just curious.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    adam42381 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

this after the fact...

My wife and I both teach children with autism and I don't think there's any relation between vaccinations and autism. Signs of autism can appear as early as 14 months which happens to be inside the timeframe where most children are being vaccinated. I believe this is purely coincidental and the science shows no link.

Totally agree with this... a baby typically has checkups (and vaccines) at 9 mos, 12 mos, 15 mos, 18 mos, etc... During this time frame, the early signs of autism can show up, and it is also the time where parents (and doctors) compare kids to developmental milestones, so this leads to increased worry/focus, when a kid is perceived to be behind in one area of another.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    All 50 states require vaccinations for children entering public schools even though no mandatory federal vaccination laws exist. All 50 states issue medical exemptions, 48 states (excluding Mississippi and West Virginia) permit religious exemptions [1], and 20 states allow an exemption (71 KB) [32] for philosophical reasons.

Over 5,500 cases alleging a causal relationship between vaccinations and autism have been filed under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program in the US Court of Federal Claims between 2001 and 2009. [21]

The US Court of Federal Claims Office of Special Masters, between 1988 and 2009, has awarded compensation to 1,322 families whose children suffered brain damage from vaccines. [22]

About 30,000 cases of adverse reactions to vaccines have been reported annually to the federal government since 1990, with 13% classified as serious, meaning associated with permanent disability, hospitalization, life-threatening illness, or death. [23]

According to a 2003 report by researchers at the Pediatric Academic Society, childhood vaccinations in the US prevent about 10.5 million cases of infectious illness and 33,000 deaths per year.

My son 28 years ago had a reaction to the MMR so he was exempt from the vaccine.

Edit it was DPT ... pertussis/ whooping cough
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    ^^^ Interesting info Pandora, thanks!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    pandora wrote:
    All 50 states require vaccinations for children entering public schools even though no mandatory federal vaccination laws exist. All 50 states issue medical exemptions, 48 states (excluding Mississippi and West Virginia) permit religious exemptions [1], and 20 states allow an exemption (71 KB) [32] for philosophical reasons.

Over 5,500 cases alleging a causal relationship between vaccinations and autism have been filed under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program in the US Court of Federal Claims between 2001 and 2009. [21]

The US Court of Federal Claims Office of Special Masters, between 1988 and 2009, has awarded compensation to 1,322 families whose children suffered brain damage from vaccines. [22]

About 30,000 cases of adverse reactions to vaccines have been reported annually to the federal government since 1990, with 13% classified as serious, meaning associated with permanent disability, hospitalization, life-threatening illness, or death. [23]

According to a 2003 report by researchers at the Pediatric Academic Society, childhood vaccinations in the US prevent about 10.5 million cases of infectious illness and 33,000 deaths per year.

My son 28 years ago had a reaction to the MMR so he was exempt from the vaccine.

The sad thing is that the people who choose not to get vaccinated for what ever personal reason they have put people like your son who aren't able to get vaccinated at even further risk of getting sick since with fewer people vaccinated diseases can spread faster.

The other sad thing is that even though there was next to no proof to begin with that vaccines cause autism, because a portion of the public caught onto this, millions of dollars have been spent on research to confirm that there was no link. Money the could have been spent I don't know, trying to find a way to cure autism?

And as a parent of a child who is at the age where she gets a new vaccine on almost every check-up personally I would take an increased chance of autism any day over an increased chance of polio or the mumps or whooping cough.
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Well, I have 2 kids and they have been up to date on their vaccines all their life and neither one has been diagnosed with autism. So maybe the autism rate going up is just a coincidence and has nothing to with vaccinations. Maybe it's all these supplements or prescription drugs that adults take and pass it on to their kids genetically.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    RKCNDY wrote:

exactly. vaccines are fulla all sortsa heavy metals not just mercury but aluminum and others. not getting a kid vaccinated does not give the kid autism. injecting bullshit into a baby could bring on some bullshit the kid doesn't want anywhere near him/her.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Carey wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I believe there is only one vaccine given in the US which contains thimerosal (which contains mercury), and I also believe it's one of the "flu shot" vaccines. But, not all batches of the "flu shot" contain this. In other words, it is possible to get a T-free vaccination for influenza. The CDC has never found a link between autism and vaccinations.
    that is not entirely true.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    antares434 wrote:
    I thought this anti-vaccine nonsense was over. The media coverage seems to have calmed down in the northeast US as far as I can tell now that the tables have turned on the "issue" and the anti-vacc people are more commonly seen as fear mongering quacks.
    why are the folks who fear vaccines commonly know as fear mongering quacks?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    youngster wrote:
    Well, I have 2 kids and they have been up to date on their vaccines all their life and neither one has been diagnosed with autism. So maybe the autism rate going up is just a coincidence and has nothing to with vaccinations. Maybe it's all these supplements or prescription drugs that adults take and pass it on to their kids genetically.

I think a lot of the rates going up is just actually rates of diagnosis going up not actual rates of autism going up. I mean 20 years ago only kids with easy to detect autism, like the guy from Rain Man, who could hardly interact with people at all were diagnosed. But now you have all kinds of autism spectrum disorders, so a kid who was just kind of a weird little dude 20 years ago would now be considered an autism case.
    pandora wrote:

The sad thing is that the people who choose not to get vaccinated for what ever personal reason they have put people like your son who aren't able to get vaccinated at even further risk of getting sick since with fewer people vaccinated diseases can spread faster.

The other sad thing is that even though there was next to no proof to begin with that vaccines cause autism, because a portion of the public caught onto this, millions of dollars have been spent on research to confirm that there was no link. Money the could have been spent I don't know, trying to find a way to cure autism?

And as a parent of a child who is at the age where she gets a new vaccine on almost every check-up personally I would take an increased chance of autism any day over an increased chance of polio or the mumps or whooping cough.

Well my kids were vaccinated for childhood diseases it is the Hep B
    vaccine at birth that is most in question due to mercury content and necessity,
    from what I've read.

Your statement doesn't seem to grasp what the parents of autistic children
    live with a lifetime through, let alone the child.

My father a victim of polo, he might not have lived the life he did if he were autistic.
    I come from a generation of mumps, pox, measles and whooping cough,
    those for me personally seem to be just that, a childhood illness.
    After raising my kids through a lot of illnesses and it was always very scary,
    still is in fact,
    I appreciate the most, our loving bond, communication and enjoyment of each other
    that could have been missing with autism.
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    youngster wrote:

I think a lot of the rates going up is just actually rates of diagnosis going up not actual rates of autism going up. I mean 20 years ago only kids with easy to detect autism, like the guy from Rain Man, who could hardly interact with people at all were diagnosed. But now you have all kinds of autism spectrum disorders, so a kid who was just kind of a weird little dude 20 years ago would now be considered an autism case.

That's an interesting point. It's like the ADD debate. Now any kid who doesn't focus 100% or daydreams is a ADD case. And the first thing doctors suggest is a prescription. Healthcare isn't about keeping us safe and healthy, it's about making money just like any other business. That is my opinion.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    ^^^ Interesting info Pandora, thanks!
    welcome :D

I was wondering the same as you too!
    youngster wrote:
    youngster wrote:

That's an interesting point. It's like the ADD debate. Now any kid who doesn't focus 100% or daydreams is a ADD case. And the first thing doctors suggest is a prescription. Healthcare isn't about keeping us safe and healthy, it's about making money just like any other business. That is my opinion.

"Vaccines are promoted primarily to generate profits for manufacturers and financial donations for medical organizations that endorse vaccines. In 2003, a House Committee on Government Reform report revealed that the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices had members with significant financial ties to vaccine companies. The American Academy of Pediatrics, a leading pro-vaccination organization, receives millions of dollars from vaccine companies. "
    http://vaccines.procon.org/

granted a decade ago but do we think anything has changed?
    when i do buy deodorant, why does the deodorant i buy say across the bar/container
    as always "aluminum free" and we donate to breast cancer research (in actuality they show the breast cancer ribbon symbol vs' spelling out an entire sentence...)

i have not purchased aluminum based deodorants in a very long time. i feel sorry for those people out there that use that junk. to me they are brainwashed and haven't a fucking idea at all as to what they are smearing on their underarm.

for years i didn't even use deodorant until i found the natural stuff i use today.

go ahead...inject your kids with some bullshit the government says is ok....

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce