Options

*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 1 Fanviews Here ***

Comments

• Options
    There are some elements of this fan base that remind me of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.

Very well put. These are what I refer to as "nerd fans" - never happy - always have some technical BS spouting out of their mouths. Cant. stand. it.

They can't wait to rush back to their computers after the show and type: Worst Show Ever!
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    I'm from the "Fantastic Show" crowd...what a beautiful night (not including the rain)...

Here's my Youtube playlist of the songs I filmed (Strokes, QOTSA inluded with the PJ stuff...I also recorder the entire Chris Cornell set): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=viewall

Enjoy...Today is going to be fantastic...
  • Options
    These shows are way more then twenty years of PJ... they are clearly a celebration of a time that half the fans in the crowd don't even really understand. For those of us that listened to ALL the late 80's and early 90's sounds, this wad a dream come true. Fans can express whatever opinion they like, but noone ever promised a two day hit list. Somebody called the band self indulgent.... I think it was pretty cool that Ed gave that stage to Cornell! I'm from boston and obviously seen the "epic" shows, but this was a story of time.... it's unfortunate some of you don't really get it. See you guys tonite!
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    well well well, nothing chnages.

they play rare songs people are complaining, they don;t people complain how it is a greatest hit set. They have guest appearnces, and fucking full fledge TOTD and people complain.....

1. this is a festival celebrating their history, and TOTD is part of that early history. YOu have 2 members in the band that gave years of their lives to MLB, and to pay homage to a friend and their roots in their celebration is bad.....?

2. There are two nights here, do you think maybe all the stuff done Sat, is to maybe save a little for Sunday?

3. This is not a pearl jam show, it is a music festival celebrating PJ20, there are other bands and stages, them appearing shoud be seen as a gift, how often do we get WHO YOU ARE, a song they don;t play anymore without assitance of some sort.

in the end it is your experience, you can bitch, praise, whatever, your right to do so, but don;t fucking blame a band who has obviously heard the fans and done everything they can to try and satisfy everone with rare stuff, hits, collaborations, rare stuff we have not seen in 16 17 years (TODT) and will more than likely NEVER get again in that way.

4. you knew there was a lawn, you knew there was rain coming, what the hell did you expect when it was muddy, there were drunks and stoners, and you could not see?

Crowd ws electric in the Pavilion, and from my seats I thought Ed's voice was spot n for what he can bring nowadays (he obviously cannot pull off 1991 DEEP, so realize he is almost 50 and a smoker and deal with it) I thought they were fucking on fire last night, I did not expect a album clean perfomrance for shits sake.

THANK YOU PEARL JAM FOR AN AMAZING NIGHT ONE AND I CANNOT WAIT FOR NIGHT 2
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,377
    I wasn't at the show, but I've just watched some of the clips posted over on the Red Mosquito forum and it sounds like Ed was pretty killer last night!

He sounds pretty great on In The Moonlight, Breath, Hunger Strike etc. Ed always flubs one or two songs and struggles with one or two, so that's nothing different.

And from the clips it sounds like the crowd is absolutely electric. Wish i'd been there!
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    Question: were the house lights on when they played Kick Out The Jams?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Amazing show, a true fan's dream concert.
  • Options
    butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    edited September 2011
    Amazing show. Cornel doing four songs was fucking awesome. I could have done withut Push Me, Pull Me and In the moonlight but honestly can't complain that show was a great set and looking forward to what i believe will be an abslutely epic night two. Night one clearly sets up night two for a longer set, no repeats and what should be maybe the greatest PJ show ever tonight. Can't wait for night two, reserved seats tonight baby!!!! Eddie sounded great, I thought the place was electirc. For those who were complaining the show was not "sold out" clearly they are eating their words now as the crowd I saw was full. Maybe not a technical seel out but that was one huge, amazing crowd. So great and now we get another one, woo hoo
    Post edited by butte1 on
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

Yes. It was one of the first things I noticed since I was on the lawn and could see the entire venue.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, but during this song Mark Arm grabbed McCready and Steve Turner and pushed them over to where Gossard was so the were in a mini guitar-summit-type of formation while they were playing. It looked like they were laughing and having a lot of fun!
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:

Yes. It was one of the first things I noticed since I was on the lawn and could see the entire venue.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, but during this song Mark Arm grabbed McCready and Steve Turner and pushed them over to where Gossard was so the were in a mini guitar-summit-type of formation while they were playing. It looked like they were laughing and having a lot of fun!

Yeah, that part was awesome. It really was awesome to have so many forefathers of a musical movement on one stage on one night.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I guess the show is what you make it, and I loved it. It was my second PJ show ever (Night 1 Chicago 2009 was the first) and so I was very happy that out of both sets, I only heard 3 repeats (Got Some, RVM, LROM). The rare songs were great, knowing that if I go on to see 10-15 more PJ shows I will probably never hear some of those again after last night. Temple Of The Dog mini-set was fantastic, too. Overall couldn't have been happier at the way the night went, wish I was there today too because I anticipate a lot more surprises. The show seemed to be about PJ & Friends having fun, which definitely made it fun for me as well. Have fun everyone going tonight!
  • Options
    Oh man do I wish I would have been there- keep posting feedback- it helps us unfortunate people who weren't close to the action!
    Crystal Hauk
  • Options
    simpleman wrote:
    These shows are way more then twenty years of PJ... they are clearly a celebration of a time that half the fans in the crowd don't even really understand. For those of us that listened to ALL the late 80's and early 90's sounds, this wad a dream come true. Fans can express whatever opinion they like, but noone ever promised a two day hit list. Somebody called the band self indulgent.... I think it was pretty cool that Ed gave that stage to Cornell! I'm from boston and obviously seen the "epic" shows, but this was a story of time.... it's unfortunate some of you don't really get it. See you guys tonite!

Well said
    Crystal Hauk
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    cant wait for the bootleg to listen 2 things....
    God's solo at Porch..he fuckin kill all my last cells of the brain....
    and Deep was the best moment of the night..was the best..was incredible!!
    i like they did different stuff than usual..Ed,mention they gonna do it...
    Breath,Deep,State love and trust,Once in the same set.in my tree?.Setting forth ??.Hunger strike with Cornel??
    no complains here.....they gonna play Binaural tomorrow..
    i had seated with my friend Eva...i had the best time..and all people around me had great time..and we all dance and sing..energy was great..not like Europe,,but you understand people celebrating the 20 years..
    all was organized so well,from 10c and the Alpine venue..
    the sound was Amazing!!!!!wow just wow...
    God was on fuckin fire tonight..what a great guy..what a fuckin great guy.......
    tomorrow is the real party..Lawn..with all the friends together...

as for complainers?..i dont even read you anyomore...you dont even know what you like or want anymore..

Got to agree with D! I am not there wish I could be. There was some awesome, unusual stuff played last night. :mrgreen:
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Release is the ultimate opener to me. They could play that as the opener of every show and I would be happy. Still kicking myself for not making this trip. Have fun tonight.

If you dont have something nice to say........
  • Options
    I seriously can't believe people are bitching about this show. What a great way to celebrate the history of the band. Mother Love Bone and Temple of the Dog, so cool. Jealous I couldn't be there. Can't wait to see what tonights set list will bring. Thanks for 20 awesome years PJ!!!
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Did we also witness the ONLY performance ever of "In The Moonlight"?

According to The Robs interview with Mike that just aired on Sirius....YEP!!!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    I may have missed it, so my apologies is this answer is somewhere, to this question: Will these 2 anniversary shows be available as official bootlegs?
  • Options
    If it is possible for a show to be epic and disappointing at the same time, this was it. The reason is that there is just so much in the PJ catalog that you want to hear, you just aren't going to get them all. My favorite songs are Corduroy, Black, Alive, Jeremy, Given To Fly, Wishlist and maybe a few others. We didn't get any of those on night one. I understand they will probably play all of those on night 2, but I'm not going to be there, so it won't do me any good.
    All of that being said, the stuff with Cornell is what made the show. Being able to hear the Temple of the Dog stuff live was unreal. I was hoping Townsend and Daltrey would come out next for Love Reign O'er Me, but that didn't happen.
    Also, I was distracted by Dennis Rodman and Chris Chelios sitting in my section. If you don't know who they are, google them. It was surreal. The show was great. It's my own fault for not going both nights. I was amazed when talking to others around me how far some of them had come for the show. Just amazing. Have fun tonight, whoever is going. It will be great.
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,411
    gumby812 wrote:
    I've seen some amazing shows, but Pearl Jam has been on the down-slide for years now. I'm a huge fan don't get me wrong. I just don't want to hear them ruining songs any more. I took someone to a show in 06, and they were absolutely amazed. I on the other hand was not, and thought that the energy was low. I see someone said that about tonight, and after I saw the set list, I was glad I did not attend. Unless something amazing happens, like Neil Young shows up. I don't think I am going to mind missing it at all.

Just stunned. This was my 18th show, and it was easily one of the best I've seen. This band fucking BROUGHT IT. My phone is blowing up with texts from friends jealous as hell they couldn't be here.

If this band doesn't do it for you anymore, it doesn't do it for you anymore. I'm not sure there's much more they could have done much more tonight, aside from let you write the setlist and sit on Ed's lap.

hahah I like it... Well said! WE ARE SO LUCKY to have Pearl Jam as our favorite band
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    gndcd402 wrote:
    Great show! Sorry about my battery dying and letting you down on the web stream. Tune in tomorrow!

Thanks!
  • Options
    I love me some Pearl Jam, but I do think something was off last night. I loved seeing other artists come up on the stage, wasn't crazy about the set list and while I also love me some Chris Cornell, it was probably 2 songs too long. The vibe was pretty good but I wasn't expecting so many obscure songs. It was a good show but not one of the best of theirs I've seen, Soldier's Field and the Old Chicago Stadium still rank pretty high in my humble opinion. Had a great time tailgating and meeting new people with common purpose of being there, which was to celebrate a great American band.
  • Options
    Screw the naysayers, that was an amazing show! While it might not have been the epic show-to-end-all-shows that some of you were expecting, I loved the set list and feel really privileged to have witnessed such a great night and unique show from my favorite band. :thumbup:
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    gndcd402 wrote:
    Great show! Sorry about my battery dying and letting you down on the web stream. Tune in tomorrow!

You made my day, it almost felt like I was there. Thanks so much!
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    I just read all 12 pages of fanviews and am just wondering if Ed spoke much. It doesn't seem to me that he did or else I guess I'd read about whatever things he might have said. Did he have any mini speeches at all about anything?
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    I agree that the set was a little short and Arms Aloft was a crappy second song, but that show was great. Finally got Release! ToTD was great but Stardog Champion was incredible. Watching The Strokes now anticipating what is to come tonight.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Re: *** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 1 Fanviews Here ***
    by DragonsAfter3or4 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:03 am

So glad I didn't waste my money on this fest. 28 songs to celebrate 20th anniversary??? Hell just a regular show...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

you do realize there are two shows right? Just checking... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    raindog80 wrote:
    The most epic PJ's show ever.
    Ever.

It really wasn't that good. Course, its all about the seats.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Kat wrote:
    So many songs took me back to a place in time. After all these years, they mean so much. Not For You took me back to 1995. I remembered the old AOL message folder and the discussion of the song's meaning. I know exactly what it means to me. I got to hear Deep again after having missed it at another show. Faithfull was amazing...I don't even know why it hit me the way it did, but it did. Once - Upon A Time...but this is no fairy tale...this is real and it was great. Thank you, Pearl Jam. xxxxxx

And thank you to everyone who arranged this event and in spite of difficult conditions on Day 1, made sure things still ran as smoothly as they did. I talked with many people and although everyone wished it had been better, people handled it with grace. Such class...it was beautiful to see. Can I thank my fellow fans here too? :) xxx
    i gotta say it's weird sorta seeing you let the curtain down a bit after the many years of me being on here. cool fanview btw :)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    So many songs took me back to a place in time. After all these years, they mean so much. Not For You took me back to 1995. I remembered the old AOL message folder and the discussion of the song's meaning. I know exactly what it means to me. I got to hear Deep again after having missed it at another show. Faithfull was amazing...I don't even know why it hit me the way it did, but it did. Once - Upon A Time...but this is no fairy tale...this is real and it was great. Thank you, Pearl Jam. xxxxxx

And thank you to everyone who arranged this event and in spite of difficult conditions on Day 1, made sure things still ran as smoothly as they did. I talked with many people and although everyone wished it had been better, people handled it with grace. Such class...it was beautiful to see. Can I thank my fellow fans here too? :) xxx
    i gotta say it's weird sorta seeing you let the curtain down a bit after the many years of me being on here. cool fanview btw :)
    ditto. Overjoyed to read this from you Kat. Hail, hail us lucky ones :D
    We were but stones your light made us stars