Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    rrivers wrote:
    That's interesting.
    I liked the episode. I thought they handed the ending perfectly. I was shocked when that happened in the book. My only problem with the episode was I thought they spent too much time with Tyrion and the drinking game. I know they needed to get the story out about his marriage, but it just seemed like it dragged on. That might be because I knew what was coming!

I'm also a little torn on the lack of the battle scenes shown. I understand they can't so a Helm's Deep scene for every battle for a number of reasons, but it still felt rushed when they were done with two battles (the one Tyrion passed out for and when Robb took Jamie) in five minutes!

Sorry my geek rage has calmed some it seems i'm in the minority.
    I guess i should have known the battle scenes would not be there but i thought they could have handled it better plus part of me was really hoping to see it. In the book it just talks about how Jaime killed 8 armed men who were assigned to protect rob trying to get to him and made it just sound like it was a hell of a fight all around.
    As for stuff they left out i'm upset about... i guess they can work around it but it seems like it should be a big deal.
    oh well.
    next week should be wild and then time for the long wait before season two. Can't wait for the blu ray :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,150
    i just saw the last night episode...fuck...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    intodeep wrote:

I guess i should have known the battle scenes would not be there but i thought they could have handled it better plus part of me was really hoping to see it. In the book it just talks about how Jaime killed 8 armed men who were assigned to protect rob trying to get to him and made it just sound like it was a hell of a fight all around.
    As for stuff they left out i'm upset about... i guess they can work around it but it seems like it should be a big deal.
    oh well.
    next week should be wild and then time for the long wait before season two. Can't wait for the blu ray :)

Yeah, the show doesn't really show Jaime as being this badass soldier. I know they have mentioned previous battles he's been in, but to me the show almost portrays him as being a spoiled Lannister who never really gets his hands dirty. I guess I also feel that way in how the fight between him and Ned went. After the random soldier speared Ned, Jaime got pissed off...almost a "I wanted this victory to show I'm a real man" kinda thing...
    I know the book portrays Jaime differently...as a tough soldier (so I'm told), I just wonder why the show doesn't focus on this.
    Even in the last episode, they show Tyrion waking up, Bronn saying "they won" but it was a diversion, then it went to Jaime captured and brought to Robb. The first impression I got other than "awesome, they got him!" was "I guess it wasn't much of a fight..." :?
  • Options
    AkshardhamAkshardham Posts: 49
    the books are awesome

no HBO for me out here but I'm psyched to get the DVD sets when the roll out

reading Clash of Kings now
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    jervin007 wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:
    Next week is the finale for season one? I guess now I have to read the books. I can't believe how much I love this show.

One question - I still don't understand who the guy is who's sort of the advisor to Daenerys. Can someone explain him to me please? Thanks.

His name is Jorah Mormont. He was exiled from the seven kingdoms by Eddard Stark for selling slaves I believe and he fled to Westeros. His father is Jeor Mormont, who is actually the leader of the knights watch on the wall. John Snow was assigned to him and saved his life recently. In the most recent episode Jeor gives his family sword to John. That sword was supposed to go to Jorah, but he left it behind when he went to Westeros.

Thank you for the info. That helps a lot.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Hbo did it again. Great episode. Loved how they did the whole flippin thing.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    i just saw the last night episode...fuck...
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Just watched last nights episode. In the back of my mind I knew joeffrey was a petty little shit, but it still took me by surprise that they killed him. It did seem a bit rushed at times and then really slow, but overall a good episode. Not having read the books yet- I'm looking forward to what they do to close up the season
  • Options
    vduboise wrote:
    Just watched last nights episode. In the back of my mind I knew joeffrey was a petty little shit, but it still took me by surprise that they killed him. It did seem a bit rushed at times and then really slow, but overall a good episode. Not having read the books yet- I'm looking forward to what they do to close up the season
    its funny how joffrey goes from being an annoying little bitch to winning the crown of asshole of the year so quickly. He snatches it right off Cersie's head and becomes my least favorite person in series with that shit.

You can't help but wish Arya would of stuck him with the pointy end on the Trident instead of just hitting him with the stick.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Sean Bean stabbed in bar brawl... :o
    I guess he thought he could go all "Ned" or "Boromir" on them!
    The best part of the article is after being stabbed and punched in the face, he went back in the bar and ordered another drink! Awesome!!! :D

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b247126 ... topstories

Turns out, Sean Bean's hero image is the real deal.

The Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings tough guy reportedly came to the aid of his famous glamour model companion after a fellow pub reveler made some untoward comments on her topless posing past. While Bean's white knighthood was obviously admirable, it also proved rather dangerous, as a melee ensued and the actor was ultimately stabbed outside the London pub.

So what, exactly, happened? And just how is Bean doing now?

According to the Daily Mail, the incident kicked off when the 52-year-old Bean and 22-year-old Playboy bunny April Summers (real name Nadia Foster) went outside Camden's Hill Bar and Brasserie to smoke. A passerby spotted the duo (or at least one half of the duo) and began making lewd comments, leading Bean to confront the big talker.

All was seemingly well until the stranger returned later on, at which point a scuffle broke out, and Bean was reportedly punched in the face, causing a bruise over his eye, and stabbed in the arm with broken glass. Despite his wounds, Bean refused any medical attention and opted not to go to a hospital.

Instead, the actor accepted a first aid kit from the bar staff, then ordered another drink.

Guess all those tough guy roles haven't been too much of a stretch, after all.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    jervin007 wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:
    Next week is the finale for season one? I guess now I have to read the books. I can't believe how much I love this show.

One question - I still don't understand who the guy is who's sort of the advisor to Daenerys. Can someone explain him to me please? Thanks.

His name is Jorah Mormont. He was exiled from the seven kingdoms by Eddard Stark for selling slaves I believe and he fled to Westeros. His father is Jeor Mormont, who is actually the leader of the knights watch on the wall. John Snow was assigned to him and saved his life recently. In the most recent episode Jeor gives his family sword to John. That sword was supposed to go to Jorah, but he left it behind when he went to Westeros.

Well said. I'm in the middle of Book 3 and I didn't remember that Lord Mormont and Jorah were related. I have a horrible memory for books.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

oh well.

Yeah, the show doesn't really show Jaime as being this badass soldier. I know they have mentioned previous battles he's been in, but to me the show almost portrays him as being a spoiled Lannister who never really gets his hands dirty. I guess I also feel that way in how the fight between him and Ned went. After the random soldier speared Ned, Jaime got pissed off...almost a "I wanted this victory to show I'm a real man" kinda thing...
    I know the book portrays Jaime differently...as a tough soldier (so I'm told), I just wonder why the show doesn't focus on this.
    Even in the last episode, they show Tyrion waking up, Bronn saying "they won" but it was a diversion, then it went to Jaime captured and brought to Robb. The first impression I got other than "awesome, they got him!" was "I guess it wasn't much of a fight..." :?

I could be wrong but even in the books Jaime isn't shown to be a badass soldier. It is talked about a lot and everyone seems to agree he is, but we rarely see him in battle and even then he's not always that badass.

Another thing: sometimes (more in the books) I get the impression Jaime isn't that happy with the Kingslayer title. It seems sometimes people call "Kingslayer" in a mocking way because the way he killed the king was not the bravest way.

I could be wrong about all of this.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    rrivers wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

Well said. I'm in the middle of Book 3 and I didn't remember that Lord Mormont and Jorah were related. I have a horrible memory for books.

I know they addressed it in the book, but I don't think it was discussed in great length. I just put the connection together because of the Mormont last name. Its tough to read the books because there are way more characters to keep track of making it easy to miss something.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    I thougth that hole thing about Sean Bean was bad ass. He should have blown the horn of gondor and whipped Ice out and got medevil on their ass :lol:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    jervin007 wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

Yeah I am constantly flipping back to the index to see who people are.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Just picked up HBO for the summer shows and gonna check out the first episode tonight.

The HBO go app for iPhone/iPad is awesome. HBO on the go
  • Options
    P23JP23J Posts: 103
    I just watched episode 9. Totally didn't see that coming! :o

This episode makes me want to go and get the books for sure.
  • Options
    After this season I'm going to be really tempted to go out and buy the books. I know they are better, but I'm also torn because I like the suspense of not knowing whats going to happen on the show...

Dilemma. :D
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    After this season I'm going to be really tempted to go out and buy the books. I know they are better, but I'm also torn because I like the suspense of not knowing whats going to happen on the show...

The books are great and really help to develop the many characters in the storyline. Unfortunately this also results in some VERY slow sections of the books that I re-read to help me fall asleep.
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

• Options
    jervin007 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

The books are great and really help to develop the many characters in the storyline. Unfortunately this also results in some VERY slow sections of the books that I re-read to help me fall asleep.

I enjoy the books but jervin makes a good point. While I wouldn't say I've been bored by sections of the books, there are parts that demand a lot of concentration (at least for me) to understand either who the characters are and/or how they fit into things.

Case in point: I was at a point in the third book that I wasn't that interested in and had been putting off reading for a few days. Today I made myself sit down and read it and I really enjoyed it and can't wait to get back to it. This happens roughly 1.4 million times during each book. But again, I wouldn't say it was because it is boring or bad writing. One big thing, especially in the later books I'm finding, is the amount of time before you get back to a character (each chapter is titled with a character's name and told from his/her POV). So it might be a 100 pages or more before you get back to one storyline and often I don't remember exactly what happened the last time we saw that character. Yesterday a character was dealing with a major problem and I had to go back and re-read the end of his last chapter to remind myself.

It might sound like I am giving the books a poor review, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I love them and highly recommend them. Just want to let you know what to expect. I count it as a plus that it is so detailed without losing the fun of the story. It actually makes me have to pay attention! (The horror!)
  • Options
    A couple friends of mine have been out of town so they just watched the newest episode last night.

I got a call at 10:30 with both of them on speaker phone all flabergausted demanding to know if that is how it happened in the books or if HBO was just doing it etc etc :lol:

I was like strap in its a long ride and it has only just begone.

I also wanted to say i loved how before Ned leaves from Winterfell he tells Jon When I return we'll talk about your mother......
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Exactly rrivers. I am reading A Feast For Crows now and there are so many new characters that are introduced and cause confusion. Does make you pay attention though :D .

There are some chapters, which as you indicated are titled with the persons name, that I am pumped to dive into. However, others I just know are going to be slow and I have to really fight myself not to power skim.

Reminds me a lot of Robert Jordan's style. However, the stories are great and well worth the read!
    PJ:

• Options
    jervin007 wrote:
    Exactly rrivers. I am reading A Feast For Crows now and there are so many new characters that are introduced and cause confusion. Does make you pay attention though :D .

There are some chapters, which as you indicated are titled with the persons name, that I am pumped to dive into. However, others I just know are going to be slow and I have to really fight myself not to power skim.

Reminds me a lot of Robert Jordan's style. However, the stories are great and well worth the read!
    Feast gets a bad rap for beign slow. It does introduce a ton of new stuff and gives you a much better idea of what is going on with the Iron Islands and Dorne which is cool.
    I think i enjoyed it more then most becausei knew what i was getting into when i started it.

I found this article on TV Guide and all the main actors give what their house sigil would be and their first decree if they were on the throne. It is funny the kids (sansa and arya) both lash out at school in their first ruling and they are so different like the charactor they play (arya wants a dirty turtle sansa wants a pretty ballarina lol)

1. What personal sigil would best represent you?
    2. If you ascended to the Iron Throne in modern times, what would your first ruling as king or queen be?

So here are their answers, which arrived via raven, naturally:

Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon, aka "The Usurper"
    Sigil: It would be a gryphon, a creature with the body of a lion and a head of an eagle. I don't know why, but to be attacked by one of those would be pretty horrible.
    First ruling: Free beer for everyone. Absolutely!

Sean Bean as Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark, aka "The Hand"
    Sigil: Two crossed swords because it represents my football team, Sheffield United. That's their badge. The team has been relegated, by the way.
    First ruling: Sheffield United gets promoted next season.

Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Lannister, aka "Blonde Ambition"
    Sigil: A big wooden sailing ship with a busty maiden shouting, "Ahoy, mate!!"
    First ruling: Everyone has a limitless shopping day where they can go wherever they want, buy whatever they want, and no one asks if you want store credit.

Nicolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, aka "The Kingslayer"
    Sigil: A pint of milk.
    First ruling: Fawlty Towers marathon on all networks.

Kit Harington as Jon Snow, aka "The Bastard"
    Sigil: I immediately thought of one but it's not very cool. I'm a Capricorn. A Capricorn is a mountain goat isn't it? So I think that I'm a goat. I don't know, but it feels like it should be a wolf now honestly after doing this show. God knows what it was before, but now it's a wolf.
    First ruling: I don't know. My mother would probably choose!

Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, aka "The Lost Stark"
    Sigil: I wouldn't have a wolf because I'm not that strong, I'm not that powerful. I'd maybe have a ballerina because ballerinas have such grace and they also have strength within them, so that's probably me. I'm much stronger than Sansa is at the start but also I'm kind, caring I suppose. I'm Grade 7 ballet at the moment.
    First ruling: No homework!

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark, aka "Boy"
    Sigil: A turtle because they can go on land, they can go in sea. They're my favorite animal. They're really cute and they can grow up really big. They've got different types of turtles, there's snapping turtles and really cute ones, like, tiny ones. There's a good variety of them, and you never get bored.
    First ruling: I would ban school uniforms for everyone, all over the world. They're so frustrating. At our school we have a thing called summer uniforms, and you're not allowed to take your jumper off when you're outside so you get really, really hot and our school uniform is black, so it's horrible. If you ban school uniforms then everyone could wear what they wanted to wear and you wouldn't get hot.

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo, aka "My Sun and Stars"
    Sigil: A lion. It's the king of the jungle. Have you ever seen a lion up close? Drogo walking with a gigantic lion. It's pretty rad.
    First ruling: Free beer and free sex for everyone -- free love that is. Back to the '60s, man. And no clothes ... except for Mark Addy!

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, aka "Moon of My Life"
    Sigil: I would be an element -- water. Because as an actor you have to be changeable and water can be so many different things. Deep, like water. (laughs) We could go on for hours. The metaphor just keeps on going!
    First ruling: There will be music playing in the streets, joyful, happy music. Reggae!

Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen, aka "The Dragon"
    Sigil: I would love to say dragon because they are clearly the best sigil in Game of Thrones. But for me it would probably be something small and nocturnal. A bat? Dunno why.
    First ruling: A two-week house party in Buckingham Palace.

George R.R. Martin, author, aka "A Cruel and Savage God"
    Sigil: Probably something like a quill pen for a writer or something like that would be appropriate. But way back in the 1980s, I won the Hugo Award which is the biggest award for science fiction fantasy and it's shaped like a silver rocketship. I won two of them in a single year which no one had ever done before. And so for a while, my now wife, then my girlfriend, Paris, would make me these sigils of two crossed Hugos instead of crossed swords.
    First ruling: Everybody has to get HBO.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    intodeep wrote:
    Another thing: sometimes (more in the books) I get the impression Jaime isn't that happy with the Kingslayer title. It seems sometimes people call "Kingslayer" in a mocking way because the way he killed the king was not the bravest way.

On this week's episode didn't Jaime's father ask him if being called "Kingslayer" bothered him and he said "of course it does". I haven't read the books yet but I probably will since I'll be in serious withdrawal after this weekend!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

Feast gets a bad rap for beign slow. It does introduce a ton of new stuff and gives you a much better idea of what is going on with the Iron Islands and Dorne which is cool.
    I think i enjoyed it more then most becausei knew what i was getting into when i started it.

I bet I enjoy Feast (when I get to it) because I will go into thinking it might not be as good.
  • Options
    Last night :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    so pissed have to wait a year for season 2.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    picked up the first book today :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    the countdown begins for boardwalk empire...
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    the countdown begins for boardwalk empire...

Amen!! Love that show!!