Options

People who bring their kids to PJ shows...

yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I've noticed some threads lately about people wanting to take their kids to shows so I felt it might be story time...

Last tour, at the Pittsburgh show there was this guy who brought his daughter (age 7-8ish) and her three friends (same age) and sat directly in front of us. We were close to the stage, in the stands on Mike's side. Everything is going fine and the girls seem to be excited about the show. About 2 songs into it the guys next to us and a guy who is by himself, next to the dad and 4 girls all spark up joints at the same time. Now the guy next to the dad and girls looked like he'd been eating mushrooms under the overpass for the last two weeks..scary.

Anyway, the pot smoke is just covering these girls and they're holding their mouths closed and the dad looks worried...long story short they leave after 3 songs.

I'm all for a younger group of people discovering/enjoying Pearl Jam but if you bring your kids make sure you realize that there will be pot all around you and crazy mushroom eating dudes who sleep under the overpass standing next to you (potentially). At the very least a lot of drunk people.

I personally think its retarded to take young kids to shows...seen some people with 2-4 year olds at these things. No reason they should be there IMO.
“May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Good point...it is nice in theory, but probably not the right environment for a 7-8 year old "honey, that is our hero Eddie...he will drink and hack butts until he passes out on stage"
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    mjb wrote:
    Good point...it is nice in theory, but probably not the right environment for a 7-8 year old "honey, that is our hero Eddie...he will drink and hack butts until he passes out on stage"

exactly, get a babysitter...bring your kids when they're actually old enough to remember it.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I would not bring a kid to see PJ or any other concert not geared towards young people... I know people want to be that cool parent but they have their whole lives to go to shows... I think the proper age for a 1st concert is 13 any younger than that and you're wasting your money IMO, unless the kid is super chill and won't have to pee or want a drink every other song.
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    It's still better than trying to get Ed to rub your wifes pregnant stomach... :rolleyes:
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    I took my 6 year old daughter to see Hannah Montanna. that's more her speed...she has no business going to see Pearl Jam....me on the other hand I am counting the weeks ...I will either hire a babysitter or have my hubby stay home.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I took my 6 year old daughter to see Hannah Montanna.
    what was her setlist like? bust out any B-sides? she cover "achey breaky heart"?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    I took my 6 year old daughter to see Hannah Montanna. that's more her speed...she has no business going to see Pearl Jam....me on the other hand I am counting the weeks ...I will either hire a babysitter or have my hubby stay home.

my vote is on that side too.

make it a grown ups night out.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    What about children who bring their parents to shows? That's what happened to me. I got tickets for my kids (who were then 17 & 20), and they insisted that I go with them. I thought I was too old to go to a rock concert, even though I've loved PJ from the start and I was the one who introduced my kids to them. They talked me into, though, and I had a blast. Everyone was so friendly & nice, and I don't even think I was the oldest one there. I'm still getting tickets for my kids, but now it's assumed that I'm going too (plus I'm the one who's the 10C member).
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    My take on this... bring the kid.. if the kid wants to go.
    If the kid gets bored and wants to leave... guess what? Bye... you can read all about the rest of the show in the 'Given To Fly' forum.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    catwoman wrote:
    What about children who bring their parents to shows? That's what happened to me. I got tickets for my kids (who were then 17 & 20), and they insisted that I go with them. I thought I was too old to go to a rock concert, even though I've loved PJ from the start and I was the one who introduced my kids to them. They talked me into, though, and I had a blast. Everyone was so friendly & nice, and I don't even think I was the oldest one there. I'm still getting tickets for my kids, but now it's assumed that I'm going too (plus I'm the one who's the 10C member).

Ha. I took my mom to Camden in 2006... she was like 52 or something at the time
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Cosmo wrote:
    My take on this... bring the kid.. if the kid wants to go.
    If the kid gets bored and wants to leave... guess what? Bye... you can read all about the rest of the show in the 'Given To Fly' forum.

I think that's where I put my foot down, if the kid wants to go too bad... I'm not gonna let them go just because they want to... I'd be like "how does it feel to want?"
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    there is no way a 2-4 year old cares about going to see PJ. Leave them home.
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    scw156 wrote:
    Ha. I took my mom to Camden in 2006... she was like 52 or something at the time

I'd love to take my parents (both in their 50's) to see Pearl Jam! I'm afraid they'd show me up tailgaiting though, especially @ Camden, haha.
  • Options
    Bring the parents, leave the kids. Pay a babysitter, stimulate the economy! lol ;)
  • Options
    so true

I've never seen a kid at a pj show

why are adults CRAZY
    anything under 15 is too young!
    scw156 wrote:
    It's still better than trying to get Ed to rub your wifes pregnant stomach... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    simpleman wrote:
    there is no way a 2-4 year old cares about going to see PJ. Leave them home.

My three year son had the time of his life at Lollapallooza and sang along to many songs. Quite a sight seeing him pump his fist in the air along with everyone else during "Alive".

Of course as a parent, I took plenty of precautions. We only attended the PJ set, sat in a VIP tent, he had noise filtering ear plugs in and was under explicit instructions to be on his best behavior. Had he not been able to handle it, we would have left, but he was a joy to the others in our tent and had a great time.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    please bring your kid, hopefully they have the seat in front of me so i can see over them easily...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    dogman11dogman11 Posts: 34
    I'm in favor of introducing Pearl Jam to my kids - but through listening to the music - not bringing them to shows. I have three kids (under 8 years old) and lately we've been listening to the Gorge 2006 boots. They love Night I - especially the "it's ok" tag on Daughter and Baba O'Reilly. My wife and and I were at the shows and we tell our kids "that's mommy and daddy singing 'it's ok'".

They love it and now when we're in the car, they specifically ask for Pearl Jam.

We have family movie night on the weekends, so my next move will be to watch Imagine in a Cornice or Live at MSG with them.

If the boys hang around long enough, I'll take my kids to a show when they're in their teens.
  • Options
    gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    My first concert was Neil Young and Crazy Horse. I was 9. I was completely awe struck. Blew me away.

I've been addicted to shows ever since.

I was 13 the first time i saw Pearl Jam ('95)

I say it depends on the kid. Infants shouldn't be there.

Pot smoke and drunk people still bother me and I'm 25...that doesn't change. If anything, I would hope the presence of little kids would make people act more responsibly...of course, that isnt always the case.

If a kid wants to go bad enough...I say take em. If they don't like it...dont take em anymore.
  • Options
    I realized what is so weird about this whole conversation...it's...backwards!

isn't it usually the case that young kid goes to mum and dad "pa-leeeeze let me go to rock show X"

mum and dad say "nooooo way"

kid begs and begs

mum and dad finally say ok but we are going with you

kid is mortified but goes to the show with the parents.
  • Options
    i just dont think it is a place for children to go....Shouldn't a 3 year old be in bed at that time anyway?.....
  • Options
    catwoman wrote:

I always see someone who is at least old enough to be retired at PJ shows. In Buffalo '03 I saw a lady who must've been in her 70's AT LEAST. Pretty hilarious, and it looked like she was having a good time too!
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    My first concert was The Rolling STones at age 4.....had the time of my life, still remember it fondly.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    yield2me wrote:
    I've noticed some threads lately about people wanting to take their kids to shows so I felt it might be story time...

Last tour, at the Pittsburgh show there was this guy who brought his daughter (age 7-8ish) and her three friends (same age) and sat directly in front of us. We were close to the stage, in the stands on Mike's side. Everything is going fine and the girls seem to be excited about the show. About 2 songs into it the guys next to us and a guy who is by himself, next to the dad and 4 girls all spark up joints at the same time. Now the guy next to the dad and girls looked like he'd been eating mushrooms under the overpass for the last two weeks..scary.

Anyway, the pot smoke is just covering these girls and they're holding their mouths closed and the dad looks worried...long story short they leave after 3 songs.

I'm all for a younger group of people discovering/enjoying Pearl Jam but if you bring your kids make sure you realize that there will be pot all around you and crazy mushroom eating dudes who sleep under the overpass standing next to you (potentially). At the very least a lot of drunk people.

I personally think its retarded to take young kids to shows...seen some people with 2-4 year olds at these things. No reason they should be there IMO.

Seems to me that people can make up their own minds as to whether or not to bring kids. And it seems like the Dad in this case had his limits and decided to leave WITHOUT bothering anyone.

Now, for the idiots that would spark up next to kids...that's a whole other topic.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    I realized what is so weird about this whole conversation...it's...backwards!

isn't it usually the case that young kid goes to mum and dad "pa-leeeeze let me go to rock show X"

mum and dad say "nooooo way"

kid begs and begs

mum and dad finally say ok but we are going with you

kid is mortified but goes to the show with the parents.

No. What's weird about this thread is people's need to tell others how to raise their kid. At this point my kid only watches PBS. But I'll bring him to rock shows. My kid does not eat McDonalds and will hopefully not want to for a very long time...if at all....but I'll bring him to rock shows. My kid WILL NOT attend the Catholic church and be left with freaks with a screwed up value set...but I'll bring him to rock shows.

My kid will do some things. Other people's kids will do others. If it's not abuse or neglect... which none of the aforementioned are...it's personal opinion.

If you can't feel cool with kids around...then that is your hang up.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    No. What's weird about this thread is people's need to tell others how to raise their kid. At this point my kid only watches PBS. But I'll bring him to rock shows. My kid does not eat McDonalds and will hopefully not want to for a very long time...if at all....but I'll bring him to rock shows. My kid WILL NOT attend the Catholic church and be left with freaks with a screwed up value set...but I'll bring him to rock shows.

My kid will do some things. Other people's kids will do others. If it's not abuse or neglect... which none of the aforementioned are...it's personal opinion.

This really should be the last word on any of these threads :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    wilfmisswilfmiss Posts: 196
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

Maybe one of the best posts ever.
    3-29-94-FL/9-24-96-MD/9-18-98-MD/9-05-00-PA/4-26-03-PA/5-03-03-PA/7-12-03-PA/10-1-04-PA/9-19-05-ON/9-28-05-PA/5-09-06-ON/5-10-06-ON/6-23-06-PA/6-19-08-NJ/10-28-09-PA/5-20-10-NY/5-21-10-NY/9-11-11-ON/9-12-11-ON/9-2-12-PA/9-22-12-GA/10-11-13-PA/10-18-13-NY/10-19-13-NY/10-16-14-MI/9-26-15-NY/4-9-16-FL/4-11-16-FL/8-8-18-WA/8-10-18-WA
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

sure, but don't be upset when Ricky lights up a 6 paper joint and passes to his drunkin' buddies Julian and Bubbles.
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

what I mean was, back in the day, it was a teenager/20-maybe30s thing to go rock shows. Old people (aka parents) didn't go to them and children didn't either. the controversy arose when kids felt they passed that teenager threshhold and wanted to go and their parents didn't think they should (hell my first PJ show I 16- it was my first "real" rock show and my parents hemmed and hawed whether to allow it for weeks- see for example the episode of Freaks and Greeks where Lindsay wants to see the Who) now it seems like people keep going to shows well into their 40s in larger numbers, so bringing kids becomes an issue that wasn't there before. It's more of cultural change that I'm pointing out here. very interesting. I wonder why older adults go to shows more these days? is it more disposable income? and also why rock shows have become less of a crazy/taboo place where parents and children go for a night out? interesting.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    inmytree wrote:
    sure, but don't be upset when Ricky lights up a 6 paper joint and passes to his drunkin' buddies Julian and Bubbles.

This pisses me off though. My child has a legal right to be there, the joint smokers do not. How about that?
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.