Options

People who bring their kids to PJ shows...

Comments

• Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Like I said a 1000000 times, if someone is bothering you then yes, it is your right to tell the usher. I mean there was a blanket of smoke at a Tool show...what did you think would happen? Everyone stay seated and watch the band like a movie?

And rape is completely different. That is not socially accepted behavior at a rock and roll gig. Smoking and Drinking is.

And you're a hypocrite, man. You're complaing about how pot smokers only care about themselves because they need self-gratification...but it sounds to me like your just bitching cause your eyes got a little red...wow. You are being selfish yourself for not just respecting what other people choose to do or don't do.

How much longer until you ask the band to turn their amps down because they are too loud? It's plain ridiculous. Maybe you should just stick to renting live DVDs of bands you like? That may suite you better.

Point is this shit goes down at a rock show regardless if it bothers you or not. If it doesn't, quit your bitching. If it does, then tell the Usher. I've never met anyone at a PJ show who didn't respect the crowd around them(except once when some guy kept pushing me out of my seats).

You just keep showing your selfishness and the typical response from potheads. I am bitching about pot because it is illegal. Rock shows do not equal drugs and smoke. Smoking and drinking maybe acceptable at a rock show (I already said that); that does NOT make it RIGHT. Why would I ask the band to turn down their amps: I am there to hear music. That's my point; I'm not there to have harmful smoke blown in my face. I don't want to have to stop listening and enjoying the show and find an usher, who most likely won't do anything and if they do, the person smoking will just light up later anyway. How about this, if you want to smoke, do ILLEGAL drugs, etc. YOU stay home. Why should I have to? Rock shows do not have to be one big drunk and stoned festival. Aren't rock shows about the music? Drugs, regardless of what you may argue, do not enhance the experience. Maybe you could stay in your marijuana vending machine and listen to the PJ CDs. I am not being selfish because I care about my HEALTH and comfort. You are being selfish because you got to smoke a little stupid pot so you can so-called feel better. Stop thinking about yourself and just remember there are other views out there.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Shit, at 10 I was already out on parole..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    You just keep showing your selfishness and the typical response from potheads. I am bitching about pot because it is illegal. Rock shows do not equal drugs and smoke. Smoking and drinking maybe acceptable at a rock show (I already said that); that does NOT make it RIGHT. Why would I ask the band to turn down their amps: I am there to hear music. That's my point; I'm not there to have harmful smoke blown in my face. I don't want to have to stop listening and enjoying the show and find an usher, who most likely won't do anything and if they do, the person smoking will just light up later anyway. How about this, if you want to smoke, do ILLEGAL drugs, etc. YOU stay home. Why should I have to? Rock shows do not have to be one big drunk and stoned festival. Aren't rock shows about the music? Drugs, regardless of what you may argue, do not enhance the experience. Maybe you could stay in your marijuana vending machine and listen to the PJ CDs. I am not being selfish because I care about my HEALTH and comfort. You are being selfish because you got to smoke a little stupid pot so you can so-called feel better. Stop thinking about yourself and just remember there are other views out there.

Let me ask you a question. If you were to get tix on the day of the show. Everyone knows they release tix that way. They happened to be side stage obstructed view and like 1rst row. Right next to Boom and you watched him smoke a very fat joint to his head. With another band member coming over and hitting it, now remeber its very loud, and very dark, its like pretty much backstage.
    He was prob 7 to 10 feet away with his backside to us.
    Would you rat them out.
    This is my prob with the its not just rock and roll comment, because the music is somewhat centered around it sometimes.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    In my opinion, no one under 10-12 years old should be at a Pearl Jam show...

I know its cool to think your lil snot noses are gonna grow up to love pearl jam, or make an excellent ploy to score a drumstick/tamb.. but anyone under 10 at a rock concert is a bad idea...

I am only saying this because im one of those people who will probably spark up a j right in front of you and your kid and not even realize it ...I dont care if you like pot or not.. thats just how it is ...

Nobody wants to be that guy but nobody wants to be the guy with the kid messing up everyone elses time either ;P I would imagine by now everyone would have it figured out. Pearl Jam shows = loud, hopped up, sometimes pot smoking people.. its just how it BE
    \

This is my opinion, thank god someoen else see this my way. There is a mom looking for a pat on her back for taking her 9 year old daughter to Motley Crue.
    Keep into consideration a typical 9 year old would be that girl in the movie The Gameplan with the Rock she is ten, and not mention an actress.
    Fucking Motley Crue.
    Shakes head

no more shows
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i can't believe what a 'controversial' topc this is! ;)

i do NOT have children, but worked/taught preK thru grade 8 for 10+ years....and personally, i agree...under say age 10 - in general - just not a good idea for a concert. of course, every child is an individual, some may be great for it at 7...others not until 14....definitely a parental call. i went to my first concert - the police with my older sister - at the age of 14. i also had MUCH older parents, who no way would go to a rock concert in any case. :p

however, in all honesty, i cannot understand WHY anyone would WANT to bring a child under 10 to a rock concert? there will be PLENTY of opportunities to take them to rock shows when they are a wee bit older and can truly appreciate it. i cannot imagine spending say $50-75 a ticket to take a child to a show....and then have to leave half-way thru b/c they want to go home. what a waste of $$$. the volume, the exposure to various elements, etc, i personally would not want to expose a child to that. under age 5....they won't even remember it. and quite honestly, kindergarten age and younger, i cannot imagine a child who would have the patience to endure an entire rock concert.

personally, i couldn't care less if someone brings their child to a concert. knock yourself out. but if your child is a nuisance, gets in my space, screams/cries...i WILL say something, just as i would to someone drunk or being an asshole to me. we all spend good $$$ to be at a show, i intend to enjoy it. so kids or no kids...i hope everyone just has a great time!

btw - i don't know if it was this thread or the other kid-centric thread where there was discussion of how really young and really old being at rock shows is a fairly new phenomena. well...duh! of COURSE it is! rock concerts ARE 'fairly new' in the history of music. rock conerts really didn't *exist* until the 60s....and the older generations at the time, by and large, weren't into it, altho of course always exceptions. so yes, it WAS mostly younger people at shows. now, someone who was 20 in say 1968.....is 60 now......so THEIR kids were the first generation to grow up with parents who were into rock music. so say, 1978-1988....would be the earliest years that you MAY've seen parents start sharing the experience with their children....and now those kids are adults, and their parents may still hit up some shows, the adult-kids going to shows...and onwards.........so yea, it is all relatively *new.*
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    \

This is my opinion, thank god someoen else see this my way. There is a mom looking for a pat on her back for taking her 9 year old daughter to Motley Crue.
    Keep into consideration a typical 9 year old would be that girl in the movie The Gameplan with the Rock she is ten, and not mention an actress.
    Fucking Motley Crue.
    Shakes head
    Your sig is a violation of the the First Commandment but my keeping you from doing it would violate your First Ammendment Rights. I took my kid to Motley Crue. You are worshiping a band who glorifies a convicted murderer. Yet you stand in judgment who is acceptable and who is unacceptable for other peoples kids. You are a narcissist and a marxist. People can and should be able to decide for themselves.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    This argument is laughable.

People...smoking pot is illegal. Smoking in most amphitheaters is illegal. yet, you complain about the people who dont' want you to do those things?

Someone in this thread said it was his RIGHT to smoke pot at a concert.

I'm pretty sure its no one's right to break the law.

Whether you think it should be legal or not is irrelevant.

The bottom line is that it affects other people's health. You not caring about that shows exactly what kind of selfish prick you really are.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Kids start the D.A.R.E program in 1st grade so explaining weed isn't really an issue.

The 'funny smell' is illegal pot. Plain and simple, the truth is the truth.

As for the drunks--- we have been to outdoor music festivals and have seen stumbling drunks... if the kids stare horrified, we say "wow, too much alcohol". They already think it's sad and kinda icky... no reason to NOT take them to a show if they REALLY want to go.
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    Your sig is a violation of the the First Commandment but my keeping you from doing it would violate your First Ammendment Rights. I took my kid to Motley Crue. You are worshiping a band who glorifies a convicted murderer. Yet you stand in judgment who is acceptable and who is unacceptable for other peoples kids. You are a narcissist and a marxist. People can and should be able to decide for themselves.

Look cupcake, I am trying to be nice hear, what are you missing.

I would not want my daughter who is on the level of the girl in the gameplan movie, to be exposed to motley crue. Specifically them.
    My basis is a simple one,

How to make a good decision well lets see, add up the pros and cons.

Pros
    None they are a testostorone trashy band when it comes to music, its catchy riff metal that has and will be around forever. decent music but nothing overwhelming.
    cons
    No children her own age
    poor message in the music
    she will not understand any of it.
    alchohol is sold in large quanities
    sex
    drugs
    mayhem.
    The final dagger would be me realizing I will be ruining the people around me time they are having.
    Just the factor of the alchoho being served would you bring her to a night club, hell no its illeagall.
    This should not make me paranoid, clinically insnae, or unrealstic.

no more shows
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    i just dont think it is a place for children to go....Shouldn't a 3 year old be in bed at that time anyway?.....

coming over for MSG2... leaving the 4-year-old behind!
    looking forward to 3-4 days of lie-ins and 'cool' touristy things to do in NY plus the small matter of the concert...
    do i feel any parental guilt....? hmmm... let me think on that one... :rolleyes:
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    This lady is telling me bringing my family to west palm beach where my whole family lives mom bro exct, and going to a show with a boardmeber from here is sick and selfish.
    But her taking a 9 year old to a motley crue show is normal.
    And my kids are going to grow up with emotional problems becasue I am too strict.
    Am I still on plannet Earth, or did something goe really wrong on my street tonight.

no more shows
  • Options
    jrd wrote:
    coming over for MSG2... leaving the 4-year-old behind!
    looking forward to 3-4 days of lie-ins and 'cool' touristy things to do in NY plus the small matter of the concert...
    do i feel any parental guilt....? hmmm... let me think on that one... :rolleyes:

hahahahaha.
    exactly.

that's really the part i don't get. why would a parent WANT to? what could a 4 year old possibly enjoy about a rock concert? and what would you as a parent enjoy from it? seems like a disaster for all involved.

however, i will say that all day music festivals, with games and face-paintings, events, etc...perfect for families. or, even just a laid back show with lawn seating and such could be great fun for a family. however, shows that are indoors and/or GA....assigned seats in rows....just too constrictive, too long, too loud, for a child, and thus the parent too, to enjoy.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Look cupcake, I am trying to be nice hear, what are you missing.

I would not want my daughter who is on the level of the girl in the gameplan movie, to be exposed to motley crue. Specifically them.
    My basis is a simple one,

How to make a good decision well lets see, add up the pros and cons.

Pros
    None they are a testostorone trashy band when it comes to music, its catchy riff metal that has and will be around forever. decent music but nothing overwhelming.
    cons
    No children her own age
    poor message in the music
    she will not understand any of it.
    alchohol is sold in large quanities
    sex
    drugs
    mayhem.
    The final dagger would be me realizing I will be ruining the people around me time they are having.
    Just the factor of the alchoho being served would you bring her to a night club, hell no its illeagall.
    This should not make me paranoid, clinically insnae, or unrealstic.

Pearl Jam Pros
    Great rhythms, bass section they got it all.

Pearl Jam Cons (I don't support them, just listing them as points of argument)

Songs written by people doing time for the same crime as Charles Manson and the Son of Sam. Makes profits for man on death row.

Disrespect the President of the USA

Support killing unborn kids on MTV, etc

The point here is that even though I support the WM3, free choice and Iraq withdrawl, you can not decide a band is OK for certain reasons, not OK for other reasons, and tell people f you don't agree with me you are a bad parent. Or if you go to one concert you will see these kinds of people or not. You need help Pal, your parents not hug you enough as a kid? If some people had a problem with PJ for associating with WM3, I'd actually be OK with that. But I would never tell them they were bad parents for their support of PJ and their "reprehensible" actions and views.

Oh and by the way, I am a guy, and if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle. I bet you have a little magnet or sticker of a little soccer player on the back of your car. You do, don't you. You are Ned Flanders with a PJ shirt on. Your kid's on the honor role...isn't he? You have the bumper sticker to prove it...don't you?
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    This lady is telling me bringing my family to west palm beach where my whole family lives mom bro exct, and going to a show with a boardmeber from here is sick and selfish.
    And my kids are going to grow up with emotional problems becasue I am too strict.
    Am I still on plannet Earth, or did something goe really wrong on my street tonight.

since you asked, you both have valid points.

I just got back from HIlton Head... lots of 'families' on 'vacation' there... daddy golfing alllllll day, every day, leaving everyone else behind at the pool. Your kids could very well remember it as a Pearl Jam vacation and not a family vacation... and if you're completely honest, that's what it is. If PJ wasn't playing, you probably wouldn't be going.

Score Motley Crue Mom.

Motley Crue wouldn't be my first concert choice but plenty of music today is just horrible.
  • Options
    kalikatkalikat Posts: 68
    I wonder why older adults go to shows more these days? is it more disposable income?

that seems like such an ignorant thing to say

we're in a different era my friend. people in their 50's started partying in the late 60's and 70's , when the Who, Rolling Stones, Dead, plus a hundred other great rock bands were playing. if someone enjoys a good rock band, why would they stop going to shows? not everyone's values change to match society's norms.

plus, not all "older" adults have extra expenses - they don't all have children or house payments or expensive cars. if a 20 yr old can afford a $65 ticket when they are making $10 an hour at McDonald's why wouldn't a 50 yr old who makes a hell of a lot more ?
    **There is a sickness, a sickness coming over me - like watching freedom, being sucked straight out to sea**
  • Options
    kalikat wrote:

we're in a different era my friend. people in their 50's started partying in the late 60's and 70's , when the Who, Rolling Stones, Dead, plus a hundred other great rock bands were playing. if someone enjoys a good rock band, why would they stop going to shows? not everyone's values change to match society's norms.

plus, not all "older" adults have extra expenses - they don't all have children or house payments or expensive cars. if a 20 yr old can afford a $65 ticket when they are making $10 an hour at McDonald's why wouldn't a 50 yr old who makes a hell of a lot more ?

exactly.
    i was saying something similarly earlier. rock concerts really only came into BEING in the 60s....thus why now 'older adults' still go to concerts...b/c they WERE amongst the first, or at least second, generation to even GO to rock concerts, period.

baby boomers were the first real generation of rock....so all pretty recent history. it's pretty damn cool when you think about it. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

I just got back from HIlton Head... lots of 'families' on 'vacation' there... daddy golfing alllllll day, every day, leaving everyone else behind at the pool. Your kids could very well remember it as a Pearl Jam vacation and not a family vacation... and if you're completely honest, that's what it is. If PJ wasn't playing, you probably wouldn't be going.

Score Motley Crue Mom.

Motley Crue wouldn't be my first concert choice but plenty of music today is just horrible.

Well it will take 6 hours, we go to florida 4 times a year, my family lives there, its not a vacation.
    We were just in disney in feb. I was there the whole time.
    I spend just about every day with my kids, I am self employed and a conctant in their life. My daughter is graduting eith grade and she had told me she wouldnt mind going to the beach this summer, so now that is out of the way.

no more shows
  • Options

Score Motley Crue Mom.

Would you take a 9 year old girl to motley crue,.

no more shows
  • Options
    Well it will take 6 hours, we go to florida 4 times a year, my family lives there, its not a vacation.
    We were just in disney in feb. I was there the whole time.
    I spend just about every day with my kids, I am self employed and a conctant in their life. My daughter is graduting eith grade and she had told me she wouldnt mind going to the beach this summer, so now that is out of the way.
    You justify quite well...
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    why are you arguing with ignorance?
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    prljmngrl wrote:
    lol yeah...52...soooooo old!!!!!!!!!! Did she bring her walker and turn her hearing aide up too?

Hey! you'll be there one day.

I'm 51 and am buying tickets for my 24 yr old son. He and my 18 yr old son don't have a problem with it.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA this should be your quote
  • Options
    hey now, I have one of those bumper stickers but I'm still a cool mom
  • Options
    SPALMA wrote:
    Hey! you'll be there one day.

I'm 51 and am buying tickets for my 24 yr old son. He and my 18 yr old son don't have a problem with it.
    I know I know...thats why I was being sarcastic about it. I'm 40.....50 suddenly doesn't feel so old anymore
  • Options
    kalikat wrote:
    that seems like such an ignorant thing to say

thank you.

• Options
    prljmngrl wrote:
    I know I know...thats why I was being sarcastic about it. I'm 40.....50 suddenly doesn't feel so old anymore

ahhh... 40, 50 doesn't feel a whole lot different than 24, 32, 17... well, ok, there are SOME differences, but mostly for the better. I wouldn't want to go back. And the "relevance" of music is just as strong now as it ever was.

• Options
    prljmngrl wrote:
    why are you arguing with ignorance?[/quote

no more shows
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:

Looking back at this response I must have been temporarily insane to even consider debating parenthood with you.
    You should alert the national securites bureau, let them know there is a guy running around like me in here.
    I am starting my own cult too.
    I love it thank you for giving my wife and I something to laugh at.

no more shows
  • Options
    SPALMA wrote:
    ahhh... 40, 50 doesn't feel a whole lot different than 24, 32, 17... well, ok, there are SOME differences, but mostly for the better. I wouldn't want to go back. And the "relevance" of music is just as strong now as it ever was.

great point, but it does feel a shit loaed differant than 9 though.

no more shows