Options

People who bring their kids to PJ shows...

Comments

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Take them to Chuck E Cheese and roll around in the balls with them.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    rmst09rmst09 Posts: 57
    I took my ten year old to Lolla last year and he loved it. I figure that one of the surest ways to keep my son from growing into a drunk asshole is by having him watch some drunk assholes so he can see just how ridiculous they look. The best is when he saw some guys dragging their clearly intoxicated friend out from in front of the stage. It was the perfect opportunity to point out what happens when we drink too much. He just shook his head and muttered "What a Weirdo". Priceless....and educational.
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Danimal wrote:
    Take them to Chuck E Cheese and roll around in the balls with them.

This is a whole new story, but lets just say from experience, the management at Chuck E Cheese was not very pleased with me when I took my 6'1, 279lb frame into the ball pit. Thankfully, the cops were very understanding.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    inmytree wrote:
    how about what...?

ok, I'll try again...

don't be upset when a drunken Corey and Trevor slam into you child who has legal rights..

This is some stupid shit that you people are spewing.

If I'm at the show alone and drunken ass moronic idiots Trevor and Corey THAT I REALLY WISH WERE NOT AT THE SHOW...OR AT LEAST NOT SITTING NEAR ME...AND MAKE MY SHOW EXPERIENCE LESS FUN AND RATHER UNCOOL....

Well if drunken ass Corey and Trevor slam into me... and hurt me... I'm going to be upset.

I don't think anyone is speaking of bringing a 5 year old into a pit at the very front of the headlining act at Reading.

Give me a break........
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    um how about don't pay the money and go then?

it's a huge crowd of people. this is what happens when you go somewhere with a large crowd of people. you know the drill before you buy the ticket. there is a line between what is acceptable and what is not. If you "turn someone in" because they are smoking next to you, that's like crying wolf. I have been literally HARASSED by frat boys at a PJ show both in the show and after in the parking lot (threatening violence, egging us on by (not spilling) dumping beer over our heads, trying to get in my car, THROWING a grill at my car, jumping on the hood of my car, etc). I was literally afraid for my safety (and my brother's). THAT is a problem which should not be tolerated. Slight discomfort, unpleasant smells, being bumped into accidentally...these are, well, slight discomforts that are INEVITABLE in a large crowd and are expected and should be tolerated as long as everyone is safe and there's no really big incidents going on. Actually, you're like my dad- he can't tolerate any slight discomforts like the ones you get in big crowds, rock concerts, etc. so guess what, he doesn't go to them!

the only thing you can claim infringes on your so called "rights" as a ticket holder is if someone sneaks into your row. that's stealing. and my opinion (but I've still never turned anyone in for it).
    People that keep saying this is a rock show and a huge crowd and this is what happens are still wrong. You can't excuse wrong, and may I add illegal behavior, because that's what happens at rock shows. So if a girl gets raped at a show (like Woodstock) or people start fires, we can excuse it because it is a rock show? I have been to tons of shows and I have never told anyone to stop smoking or drinking, etc. However, I am posting to try to open peoples' eyes to those around them. Just because you are at a rock show and want to pollute the air, doesn't mean everyone is happy. I went to a Tool show recently and I could barely see the stage because there was too much cigarette and pot smoke. My eyes stung so bad after the show because of other peoples' inconsiderate actions. Is this what I expect from a rock show? Yes. Does that make it right, absolutely not. Some of this should be blamed on security for not doing their jobs, but also common decency comes into play. If you need to smoke, find a designated area. Just because you have no self control, doesn't mean I have to suffer as well. I know this is not the opera and I do not want to go to the opera. I want to see the band I love and I am perfectly in my rights to complain about assholes that care only for their own self gratification.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    voodoopug wrote:
    This is a whole new story, but lets just say from experience, the management at Chuck E Cheese was not very pleased with me when I took my 6'1, 279lb frame into the ball pit. Thankfully, the cops were very understanding.

We'll I was kidding BUT THAT REPLY WAS HILARIOUS!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    inmytree wrote:
    please tell me you're not going to SC or Virgina Beach...;)
    Isn't that in the South?
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Danimal wrote:
    We'll I was kidding BUT THAT REPLY WAS HILARIOUS!

I only wish it wasn't true! Cheers buddy.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    For what it's worth my Elmo listening, Dog Train Loving 2 year old just brought me a Pearl Jam tape (yes...an old boot...7-13-98) he knows the tapes are MY MUSIC NOT HIS...He brought it to me...took my hand and made me put it on. He is now shaking is head and dancing around...and clapping and jumping around between songs.

I don't plan to bring him to a show very soon...But this is why people bring kids to concerts. Because some kids dig it. My son's first word was at like 6 months. Music. He didn't have any others for a while.

AND...Like I said earlier. It's a personal decision. I probably think a lot of what you incredibly judgmental people do, say, allow your children to take part in etc...would not be in MY child's best interest....

Everyone is raised differently . That is what makes this world a beautiful diverse place.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    I am usually tolerant of people smoking the weed as long as they do it quickly.

However, if someone is talking loudly thru the entire show, or infringing on my elbow room (no, not at a crowded ga show), I will sure as hell say something to them.

People are usually cool about it, however, some people are passive agressive, and make comments to there friends about not being allowed to talk, etc.
  • Options
    People that keep saying this is a rock show and a huge crowd and this is what happens are still wrong. You can't excuse wrong, and may I add illegal behavior, because that's what happens at rock shows. So if a girl gets raped at a show (like Woodstock) or people start fires, we can excuse it because it is a rock show?

did you miss my entire point about a line between what constitutes a real problem and what is simply causing a slight discomfort to you?
  • Options
    I took my 6 year old daughter to see Hannah Montanna. that's more her speed...she has no business going to see Pearl Jam....me on the other hand I am counting the weeks ...I will either hire a babysitter or have my hubby stay home.

That constitutes child abuse. If I had a daughter and she wanted to see Hanna Montana she'd learn a valuable lesson about dissapointment in life. Thank God I have sons.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    For what it's worth my Elmo listening, Dog Train Loving 2 year old just brought me a Pearl Jam tape (yes...an old boot...7-13-98) he knows the tapes are MY MUSIC NOT HIS...He brought it to me...took my hand and made me put it on. He is now shaking is head and dancing around...and clapping and jumping around between songs.

I don't plan to bring him to a show very soon...But this is why people bring kids to concerts. Because some kids dig it. My son's first word was at like 6 months. Music. He didn't have any others for a while.

AND...Like I said earlier. It's a personal decision. I probably think a lot of what you incredibly judgmental people do, say, allow your children to take part in etc...would not be in MY child's best interest....

Everyone is raised differently . That is what makes this world a beautiful diverse place.

yeah that's really cool that the kid likes music, it really is! but it just seems like there are, you know, like rights of passage as you grow up. to me, going to your first rock show is a huge one! isn't it sort of cheapened to some extent if your first rock show is one of your parents' bands that they took you to when you were really little? like it seems to suck the coolness right out of the whole thing...getting into rock music, whether it be when you're 5 or 15, it's like your first real rebellion, it's the anti-parent, it's coming of age...I'm just stating my opinion
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    People that keep saying this is a rock show and a huge crowd and this is what happens are still wrong. You can't excuse wrong, and may I add illegal behavior, because that's what happens at rock shows. So if a girl gets raped at a show (like Woodstock) or people start fires, we can excuse it because it is a rock show? I have been to tons of shows and I have never told anyone to stop smoking or drinking, etc. However, I am posting to try to open peoples' eyes to those around them. Just because you are at a rock show and want to pollute the air, doesn't mean everyone is happy. I went to a Tool show recently and I could barely see the stage because there was too much cigarette and pot smoke. My eyes stung so bad after the show because of other peoples' inconsiderate actions. Is this what I expect from a rock show? Yes. Does that make it right, absolutely not. Some of this should be blamed on security for not doing their jobs, but also common decency comes into play. If you need to smoke, find a designated area. Just because you have no self control, doesn't mean I have to suffer as well. I know this is not the opera and I do not want to go to the opera. I want to see the band I love and I am perfectly in my rights to complain about assholes that care only for their own self gratification.

Guess what. you are in the minority. Most people either smoke or dont care or care but understand it's the price you pay to go to a show. Suck it up and deal with it for a couple hours. It will be over soon and you can go back to your germ free bubble.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008

Like I said a 1000000 times, if someone is bothering you then yes, it is your right to tell the usher. I mean there was a blanket of smoke at a Tool show...what did you think would happen? Everyone stay seated and watch the band like a movie?

And rape is completely different. That is not socially accepted behavior at a rock and roll gig. Smoking and Drinking is.

And you're a hypocrite, man. You're complaing about how pot smokers only care about themselves because they need self-gratification...but it sounds to me like your just bitching cause your eyes got a little red...wow. You are being selfish yourself for not just respecting what other people choose to do or don't do.

How much longer until you ask the band to turn their amps down because they are too loud? It's plain ridiculous. Maybe you should just stick to renting live DVDs of bands you like? That may suite you better.

Point is this shit goes down at a rock show regardless if it bothers you or not. If it doesn't, quit your bitching. If it does, then tell the Usher. I've never met anyone at a PJ show who didn't respect the crowd around them(except once when some guy kept pushing me out of my seats).
  • Options
    yeah that's really cool that the kid likes music, it really is! but it just seems like there are, you know, like rights of passage as you grow up. to me, going to your first rock show is a huge one! isn't it sort of cheapened to some extent if your first rock show is one of your parents' bands that they took you to when you were really little? like it seems to suck the coolness right out of the whole thing...getting into rock music, whether it be when you're 5 or 15, it's like your first real rebellion, it's the anti-parent, it's coming of age...I'm just stating my opinion

So if he wants to go to a seated Pearl Jam show at age 8... (and he knows I'm going to a bunch of shows...and wants to come with me to one) ...I should deny him the experience of seeing Pearl Jam (which he may never get to do after that... hypothetically....) so he can be anti-parent and rebellious and attend some non-Pearl Jam show when he's 15?

uhmmmm...ok. I'll keep that in mind.
  • Options
    Introducing kids to music is a great thing. It's a must. It seems hypocritical to me that anyone with a love of music would be against it. I personally don't have kids yet, but dont have a problem with someone else wanting theirs to experience a show. If they like PJ and want to experience it live, go for it. Just know that somewhere near the back is probably the best, and know that there may be things around that they are going to witness / experience. Ideally people would be respectful if they noticed a kid around. At least blow it away etc. Even put it out or shift down the row etc. I know I would.

Just my two cents.

.... and I've been around the spun guy, the drunk guy, whatever. As a crowd we should be able to manage those folks and try to keep them in line without turning them in. That is a rediculous thing to do. Hopefully those folks have friends around that can keep them in check. Agreed, they can ruin a show ( or at least part of one ) when left unchecked. Now if it turns to violence, that's a different story....
    "And what's the truth? And the truth that lies at home. It's on the inside and I can't get it off."

Nacadoches, TX - 20/11/93
    Austin, TX - 16/9/95
    Las Vegas, NV - 06/07/06
    Lisbon, Portugal - 05/09/06
    Lisbon, Portugal - 06/09/06
    Copnehagen - 26/06/07
    Nijmegen - 28/6/07
    PJ20 9/3/2011
    PJ20 9/4/2011
    Toronto 9/11/2011 
    Wrigley 07/19/2013
    Jazz Fest 2014 
    Austin 10/04/2014
    Wrigley 8/20/2016
    Wrigley 8/22/2016

Seattle 8/8/2018
    Seattle 8/9/2018
    Oakland 5/12/2022
    Oakland 5/13/2022 
    Paris, France 7/17/2022
  • Options

Point is this shit goes down at a rock show regardless if it bothers you or not. If it doesn't, quit your bitching. If it does, then tell the Usher. I've never met anyone at a PJ show who didn't respect the crowd around them(except once when some guy kept pushing me out of my seats).

I disagree dont tell the usher. Tell the person it is bothering you and they most likely will tell you they will be done in a minute. And you know what they will. But then the guy 2 rows behind you is going to light up.

My point is unless you are going to go and tell the usher 40 times that people are smoking, when you are at a concert you will probably going to have to deal with it. Especially in larger venues.

• Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    There is a place for kids and a place for adults. Anyone under the age of 13 hasn't really developed an adult appreciation for music. Plus, unless you've turned your "tween" into a pothead how are YOU going to explain the drugs. They should still be in the stage of learning right from wrong, time and place for everything. Plus, the people around you don't need an uninterested whining 8 year old around them. How much fun is it for the rest of the crowd.

Rant over.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    4Powers20 wrote:
    I disagree dont tell the usher. Tell the person it is bothering you and they most likely will tell you they will be done in a minute. And you know what they will. But then the guy 2 rows behind you is going to light up.

My point is unless you are going to go and tell the usher 40 times that people are smoking, when you are at a concert you will probably going to have to deal with it. Especially in larger venues.

Yeah, I agree with this. Obviously ask the person first to quite or whatever. If they being an asshole about it or something, then I could understand telling an usher.
  • Options
    If 12 year olds didn't go to rock shows...how would Green Day make any money? :D
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    If 12 year olds didn't go to rock shows...how would Green Day make any money? :D

touche

• Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    So if he wants to go to a seated Pearl Jam show at age 8... (and he knows I'm going to a bunch of shows...and wants to come with me to one) ...I should deny him the experience of seeing Pearl Jam (which he may never get to do after that... hypothetically....) so he can be anti-parent and rebellious and attend some non-Pearl Jam show when he's 15?

no I'm just saying not force these things...or to assume that your kid will think it's cool to go to a PJ show (or any show) with or without their parents. Your kid is really little, but there have been parents on here who have been like "at a certain time it was time to take them to a pj show" it's just kinda like nah...dude...I don't know...

what I'm saying is...remember your first rock show? how cool it was? it was kinda like this amazing step. it was a band YOU liked, not one from your parents' generation...most of the arena filled with other teenagers with pink hair and doc martins...you knew your parents weren't too thrilled about you being there, the music was LOUD, people were smoking pot, you were off on your own...I don't know, I just remember feeling so excited. if my PARENTS were there? I have a feeling it wouldn't have been quite so exciting. nor would it have been if it were my parents' show with other middle aged people and stuff...I look back on that stuff as just a huge part of my trip through adolescence
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    scw156 wrote:
    Ha. I took my mom to Camden in 2006... she was like 52 or something at the time
    lol yeah...52...soooooo old!!!!!!!!!! Did she bring her walker and turn her hearing aide up too?
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

well see, yeah I think 12 year olds should start going to shows! I don't consider 12 year olds going to see bands they like the same as parents sticking the whole family of 2-10 year olds in the mini van and heading off the rock show.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

:D

I know, it's so silly :)

Surely he'll find plenty of ways to rebel to me at the right moment. But for me to say: "hmmm... wait a second, I'll keep that for when he wants to rebel" seems a little contrite :)

My son decided he likes the Who better than Pearl Jam. He was "rebelling" and it was awfully cute :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    That constitutes child abuse. If I had a daughter and she wanted to see Hanna Montana she'd learn a valuable lesson about dissapointment in life. Thank God I have sons.
    WHATEVER.....HANNAH Montanna is more of a concert for kids than Pearl Jam...She actually put on a good show for a 15 year old.....I must be a horrible mother to bring my daughter to see her.....Good thing you got sons...maybe you could teach me how to raise my boy
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    My 11 year old niece has a 6 year old sister. When my younger niece found out I was bringing her sister to a concert she wondered why I wasn't bringing her to Hannah Montana, also. I informed my younger niece that the concert was Pearl Jam. She didn't care after that.

I thought that was funny. hahahahahahahahaha :D

If I could bring them to Hannah Montana I would. It's probably an enjoyable show, and they probably know most of the words.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    prljmngrl wrote:
    lol yeah...52...soooooo old!!!!!!!!!! Did she bring her walker and turn her hearing aide up too?

Haven't you heard? 50 is the new 40. We don't have walkers & hearing aids yet.
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    scw156 wrote:
    Ha. I took my mom to Camden in 2006... she was like 52 or something at the time

You're a good son (or daughter -- can't tell your sex).