Options

People who bring their kids to PJ shows...

Comments

• Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    meme wrote:
    This pisses me off though. My child has a legal right to be there, the joint smokers do not. How about that?

how about what...?

ok, I'll try again...

don't be upset when a drunken Corey and Trevor slam into you child who has legal rights..
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    I'm bringing my kid to the Tampa show... He's 24 ! :D

He and his girlfriend are coming, but not sitting with us ... I get the club tickets (better seats I hope).

I took my younger son to his first concert when he was 12 - to Pearl Jam. They were lousy seats way up in the back. He was snitty and acted like he didn't know us and when someone offered him a toke he politely refused.

Kids gotta know about it and learn how to deal with it.

All these years later, it turns out, he know is proud that we made him go to that concert.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    This pisses me off though. My child has a legal right to be there, the joint smokers do not. How about that?

legal or no, who has more a of a cultural right to be there? I'm just sayin'.

btw, I don't really get why it would be so terrible for a kid to see someone smoking pot. they would probably just assume it's a cigarette, and if they ask, just tell them the truth- it's an illegal drug that these people shouldn't be using in public and that you don't do it and neither should they. they're going to see it in the school yard in a couple years anyway. it's probably a good way for them to be exposed to it really, with you right there.
  • Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    Do we really need another thread going on this?
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    Do we really need another thread going on this?

too late, it already happened.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Why does everyone have to be so stupid and smoke pot and do drugs anyways? Is this really who we are as Pearl Jam fans: a bunch of stoned idiots? Seriously, we don't need to be in another realm, the music will take you there on its own. You should want to remember the show. This is not Pink Floyd or the Dead. I thought we were more sophisticated than this.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    Why does everyone have to be so stupid and smoke pot and do drugs anyways? Is this really who we are as Pearl Jam fans: a bunch of stoned idiots? Seriously, we don't need to be in another realm, the music will take you there on its own. You should want to remember the show. This is not Pink Floyd or the Dead. I thought we were more sophisticated than this.

thanks, mr. mackey...

mmm kay...
  • Options

hahahaha #1, I don't smoke pot or do any other illegal drugs, however, the words "sophistication" and "rock" don't belong in the same sentence. that's ridiculous! dude, you have totally lost sight of what rock is about. haven't you ever seen School of Rock? Jack Black puts it perfectly: "It's about sticking it to the man." Over the course of rock history there have been countless means by which to "stick it to the man" (and *I* personally don't think smoking pot is cool after age 17) but still, that's the underlying drive. not sophistication!
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I like the dude who brings his kids to the shows so they can each get him a poster!
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011

I do not smoke pot, take drugs, or drink more than the occassional beer/martini and my professional status and success reflect that.

If people want to be potheads and burnouts, more power to them, and less competition for me in the real world. Typically everyone in our society feels entitled, why shouldn't the pot smokers feel entitled also? My only take on it is if you get caught, turned in, etc....take your punishment with your chin up because you took the risk. Don't cry foul because you got pitched out of the stadium for breaking a rule. It would be "rock and roll" for me to charge the stage and hop up and start dancing, but as cool as that may be....I'd expect to get pitched out of the building.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    I like the dude who brings his kids to the shows so they can each get him a poster!

Yes....that is called forward thinking...I like it!
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    legal or no, who has more a of a cultural right to be there? I'm just sayin'.

btw, I don't really get why it would be so terrible for a kid to see someone smoking pot. they would probably just assume it's a cigarette, and if they ask, just tell them the truth- it's an illegal drug that these people shouldn't be using in public and that you don't do it and neither should they. they're going to see it in the school yard in a couple years anyway. it's probably a good way for them to be exposed to it really, with you right there.

Apart for the cultural right thing, I agree with you.
    Now, had a scene like the one the OP is describing happened, with a thick cloud over my child's head, that would be different.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    hahahaha #1, I don't smoke pot or do any other illegal drugs, however, the words "sophistication" and "rock" don't belong in the same sentence. that's ridiculous! dude, you have totally lost sight of what rock is about. haven't you ever seen School of Rock? Jack Black puts it perfectly: "It's about sticking it to the man." Over the course of rock history there have been countless means by which to "stick it to the man" (and *I* personally don't think smoking pot is cool after age 17) but still, that's the underlying drive. not sophistication!

his character also happened to be unemployed and broke until he opened a music school.......which I assure you is not as easy as the movie suggested.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Apart for the cultural right thing, I agree with you.
    Now, had a scene like the one the OP is describing happened, with a thick cloud over my child's head, that would be different.

eh it probably wouldn't hurt them at all. they would have to be very small children to get any sort of a contact high. they're exposed to it for a few hours, it's not like it's a constant thing they breathe in every day.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    his character also happened to be unemployed and broke until he opened a music school.......which I assure you is not as easy as the movie suggested.

your point is?
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    this thread is giving me the munchies, and i dont even smoke pot!!!

i want a corndog!!!!!!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,217
    It is a rock concert. there will be people smoking weed, illegal or not. I will be one of them. Sorry. I am not going sit there and blow smoke in your kids face nor will I smoke 20 joints. But yeah I am going to smoke 1 maybe 1 and a half joints at the show. I have at every single one of the 150 shows I have been to. If you dont like it, maybe that would be an oppurtune time to use the bathroom. If not deal with, or use the oppurtunity to teach your kid about the dangers that face them from weed. Then after the show, get in your car, and break the law by speeding home and put your child in alot more danger than a seeing someone smoking a joint will ever be.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Yeah this is retarded.

It's a fucking rock concert. If you go there with your kids, be prepared to see:

- Pot Smokers

- Drunk and obnoxious people

- Drunk and obnoxious pot smokers.

For real. Sophistication? THIS IS NOT A FUCKIGN ART EXHIBIT. THIS IS A ROCK SHOW. PEOPLE WANT TO LET GO FOR 2 HOURS, and if that means smoking pot or getting drunk...then it's their right to do so. I'm not about appeasing the fucking idiot who brought their 4 year old next to me. I'm about having a good time and listening to music for myself. Thats why Ipaid the $400000 a fucking ticket to see the band.

Please people, think about what you're getting your kid into by bringing him to a concert. It's expected that these things happen becuase they happen at EVERY CONCERT and have been happening for the past 40 years.

Don't be ignorant.
  • Options
    your point is?
    my point is, that if someone sees this is their ideal goal in life.....get a job or be prepared to life check to check for the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    my point is, that if someone sees this is their ideal goal in life.....get a job or be prepared to life check to check for the rest of their lives.

nobody said anything about "life goals" here...

...are you smoking pot right now??? or crack? because this doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Yeah this is retarded.

It's a fucking rock concert. If you go there with your kids, be prepared to see:

- Pot Smokers

For real. Sophistication? THIS IS NOT A FUCKIGN ART EXHIBIT. THIS IS A ROCK SHOW. PEOPLE WANT TO LET GO FOR 2 HOURS, and if that means smoking pot or getting drunk...then it's their right to do so. I'm not about appeasing the fucking idiot who brought their 4 year old next to me. I'm about having a good time and listening to music for myself. Thats why Ipaid the $400000 a fucking ticket to see the band.

Please people, think about what you're getting your kid into by bringing him to a concert. It's expected that these things happen becuase they happen at EVERY CONCERT and have been happening for the past 40 years.

Don't be ignorant.

I agree completely. It is very ignorant to think this is not what will happen at a concert. But its also ignorant to think that those around you are responsible for making your surroundings comfortable for you. Everyone is there to enjoy the show themselves not appease anyone around them.

I repeat what I said before, go ahead and have a smoke if you feel you will die if you don't have one in those two hours, but be prepared to accept the repercussions of that action. Relate it to something similar, most everyone drives over the speed limit, but the risk is getting caught and getting a ticket. If you're cool with taking the risk (and I have no problem if you do), accept the chain of events that follow if you get caught.

In a venue that seats 15K plus, expect a few of those people to be whistle blowers....thats you're risk.
  • Options
    what I mean was, back in the day, it was a teenager/20-maybe30s thing to go rock shows. Old people (aka parents) didn't go to them and children didn't either. the controversy arose when kids felt they passed that teenager threshhold and wanted to go and their parents didn't think they should (hell my first PJ show I 16- it was my first "real" rock show and my parents hemmed and hawed whether to allow it for weeks- see for example the episode of Freaks and Greeks where Lindsay wants to see the Who) now it seems like people keep going to shows well into their 40s in larger numbers, so bringing kids becomes an issue that wasn't there before. It's more of cultural change that I'm pointing out here. very interesting. I wonder why older adults go to shows more these days? is it more disposable income? and also why rock shows have become less of a crazy/taboo place where parents and children go for a night out? interesting.

Back in the day for who, you?? Rock shows are not only for a certain age group. They are for whoever the fan happens to be no matter what age race religion etc. You dont like old or young going to the shows. So what's the correct age then? It's not some cultural change... when have rock shows been taboo??

Did you ever see The Grateful Dead? Check out how many different people -- ages included - went to those shows.
    I'm 30 and my parents have been going to rock shows since they were teens... and I took my mom to see PJ in 03 at MSG. She LOVED it. I plan on taking my child when it's appropiate... ie.. an outside show. I won't subject him to an indoor frenzy -- I know how crazy and fun it gets and he's not ready for that. but some dancing on the lawn... heck yea.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Options
    nobody said anything about "life goals" here...

...are you smoking pot right now??? or crack? because this doesn't make sense.

This whole thread is about the pot smokers rights versus the parents rights, and it is a worthless argument because no one is willing to back down.

I don't take drugs, re-read my previous posts, they make sense.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    This whole thread is about the pot smokers rights versus the parents rights, and it is a worthless argument because no one is willing to back down.

I don't take drugs, re-read my previous posts, they make sense.

I would really disagree that that's what the whole thread is about.
  • Options
    Back in the day for who, you?? Rock shows are not only for a certain age group. They are for whoever the fan happens to be no matter what age race religion etc. You dont like old or young going to the shows. So what's the correct age then? It's not some cultural change... when have rock shows been taboo??

Did you ever see The Grateful Dead? Check out how many different people -- ages included - went to those shows.
    I'm 30 and my parents have been going to rock shows since they were teens... and I took my mom to see PJ in 03 at MSG. She LOVED it. I plan on taking my child when it's appropiate... ie.. an outside show. I won't subject him to an indoor frenzy -- I know how crazy and fun it gets and he's not ready for that. but some dancing on the lawn... heck yea.

I never said there was a "right age." I'm saying, there have been cultural changes. perhaps subtle. but they have occurred. generational issues and trends in rock are extremely interesting IMO. hell I love to think and read about rock's place in society regarding all sorts of issues.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,217
    I would really disagree that that's what the whole thread is about.

It isnt only about pot smoking but that is a major issue. Illegal or not you know it will going on so it is your choice if you want to bring your child into that situation. Its illegal yet millions smoke it, if they dont care about the law why would they care about your preferences.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    ReeenkRoinkReeenkRoink Posts: 108
    I'd rather sit next to a Pot Smoker then a Kid....
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    It isnt only about pot smoking but that is a major issue. Illegal or not you know it will going on so it is your choice if you want to bring your child into that situation. Its illegal yet millions smoke it, if they dont care about the law why would they care about your preferences.

what is weird to me is that, the parents who want to bring their kids, they want to bring them to expose them to the world of the live rock show. *a few* of these same people have complained about the pot smoking and other behaviors that go on at said rock shows...that's a little odd to me, it's like you want to expose your kid to *parts* of it, but not others. In that case, stay home and watch live at MSG with sippy cups in hand. Now, before anyone says anything, there have only been a few comments like this. most of the parents make more sense. you either want to expose your kid to a rock show or you don't. if you don't, wait until the kid asks you if they can go to one when their older or whatever, and make the decision yourself (thereby removing yourself from issue of whether *kids*-not preteens, not teens- should go).
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I'd rather sit next to a Pot Smoker then a Kid....

why? i took my nephew to his first show when he was 13. he had more fun then a lot of people around us. and the people that were close to us, loved his energy.

he is now 18 and in a band that is on tour right now.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Yeah this is retarded.

- Pot Smokers

Don't be ignorant.

Yup.

If you go to the zoo, you're probably going to see monkeys flinging poo and playing with themselves.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do