Options

People who bring their kids to PJ shows...

Comments

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    what is weird to me is that, the parents who want to bring their kids, they want to bring them to expose them to the world of the live rock show. *a few* of these same people have complained about the pot smoking and other behaviors that go on at said rock shows...that's a little odd to me, it's like you want to expose your kid to *parts* of it, but not others. In that case, stay home and watch live at MSG with sippy cups in hand. Now, before anyone says anything, there have only been a few comments like this. most of the parents make more sense. you either want to expose your kid to a rock show or you don't. if you don't, wait until the kid asks you if they can go to one when their older or whatever, and make the decision yourself (thereby removing yourself from issue of whether *kids*-not preteens, not teens- should go).

i think you are missing some of the points brought up by the parents.

let me say for one, i dont smoke, but i dont care if someone does at a show.
    with that being said. parents do have the "right" to bring their kids to shows.
    potsmokers and even drunks ( which i do drink at shows ) do NOT have the "rights" to smoke pot or get drunk at shows.
    drinking is not one of your "rights" and its legal. so smoking pot is not a "right" for sure.

when people say "its my right to get drunk" well , they are actually wrong.
    there is no such "right".

anyway, ill be the guy at the show with a good buzz ( from beer ) knowing that the only "right" i have, is to be there. and i will act accordingly, and try my best not to fuck up the night for anyone else.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    the wolf wrote:

potsmokers and even drunks ( which i do drink at shows ) do NOT have the "rights" to smoke pot or get drunk at shows.
    drinking is not one of your "rights" and its legal. so smoking pot is not a "right" for sure.

anyway, ill be the guy at the show with a good buzz ( from beer ) knowing that the only "right" i have, is to be there. and i will act accordingly, and try my best not to fuck up the night for anyone else.

It is a beautiful thing when intelligent people post. I really enjoy and agree with your post.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    the wolf wrote:

beer is legal but I don't have a "right" to drink it or get drunk from it...

interesting..

are we playing the semantics game...?
  • Options
    what is weird to me is that, the parents who want to bring their kids, they want to bring them to expose them to the world of the live rock show. *a few* of these same people have complained about the pot smoking and other behaviors that go on at said rock shows...that's a little odd to me, it's like you want to expose your kid to *parts* of it, but not others. In that case, stay home and watch live at MSG with sippy cups in hand. Now, before anyone says anything, there have only been a few comments like this. most of the parents make more sense. you either want to expose your kid to a rock show or you don't. if you don't, wait until the kid asks you if they can go to one when their older or whatever, and make the decision yourself (thereby removing yourself from issue of whether *kids*-not preteens, not teens- should go).

I'll agree with that. If/when I take my kids to a concert, it is my responsibility to educate them as to what goes on around them. My problem is with the statement/sentiment in this thread is that people feel it is their right to smoke pot/get awfully drunk, etc. It may be their "right", but it is also their right to deal with what legal issues come of it.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    I'll agree with that. If/when I take my kids to a concert, it is my responsibility to educate them as to what goes on around them. My problem is with the statement/sentiment in this thread is that people feel it is their right to smoke pot/get awfully drunk, etc. It may be their "right", but it is also their right to deal with what legal issues come of it.

I missed the part where folks claim it was a "right"....

I see it as a "reality"....
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    voodoopug wrote:
    It is a beautiful thing when intelligent people post. I really enjoy and agree with your post.

Awwww.....How cute.

It's quite simple, really.

As a PARENT you should know what to expose your young children to and what not to expose them too. Just because I have a kid that's 5 years old that likes Last Kiss doesn't mean I'm going to take him to see a Pearl Jam show.

Drinking and Smoking may not be rights, but for the most part, it's acceptable social behavior at ROCK AND ROLL SHOWS.

This is a slippery slope. Next thing, you'll be asking everyone to stay seated. Get real.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    I cant believe these threads are still being debated. Sure you can bring your kid to a show. And yes there will be people smoking pot. everyone knows it is illegal yet millions smoke it everyday. And people who do will definetly do it when they are at a concert. that is situation you are choosing to bring your child into.

And like I said speeding on the road is also illegal and puts your child in alot more danger than the guy next to you smoking a joint ever will. Yet I bet alot of the same people who are getting all holy about weed at shows, have been guilty of it.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    inmytree wrote:
    I missed the part where folks claim it was a "right"....

I see it as a "reality"....

I also agree with that, it is a "reality". But please re read the thread, there are many posts that reference that they deserve to go to a concert and get fueled up.

I think you are fighting the wrong enemy. I'm not encouraging those who smoke pot at a show to stop. I wouldn't stop anyone from doing it and if me and my son were sitting next to someone who was doing it, I'd be the one to move, and not ask that person to move if I felt it was inappropriate for us to be there. I am very much in a belief that if everyone just respected those around them, concerts would always have a great vibe.

I mainly disagree with folks who believe that if someone tells on them or they get caught that it is a tragic miscarriage of justice.
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:

No I clearly got that point, and I don't understand it. Legal or not, that's what a rock is and always has been. When the *PARENT* goes to a rock show, this is what he or she sees. And said parent LIKES rock shows, which include-as part of the overall tone and atmosphere-pot smoking, boobies flying, etc, depending on the band and the crowd. AND the parent's enjoyment of this overall rock show atmosphere is PRECISELY why they want to bring the kid in the first place. a rock show is NOT JUST about the music, no matter how much you want to kid yourself. it's a whole cultural experience with many aspects in different proportions depending on the band, crowd, venue, etc. You want your kid to be exposed to this cultural phenomenon, but then you say wait, no, I only want them to be exposed to part of it. And some of that stuff you might object to isn't illegal at all! Be it scantily clad concert goers, foul language, ect. whenever there is a large crowd of people you get these things, and it's part of the overall experience that you want your kid to get for whatever reason.

also I just wanted to add, it isn't a "right" to bring your kid or even go yourself to a rock show either. the question of what is and isn't a "right" is a tricky legal term that everyone's using rather lightly and therefore making faulty legal claims.
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    I mainly disagree with folks who believe that if someone tells on them or they get caught that it is a tragic miscarriage of justice.

The fact is that is no one is saying it would be a miscarriage of justice.

But the person who turns in a pot smoker at a Rock and Roll gig probably shouldn't have come in the first place or just hase never been in a show atmosphere before.
  • Options
    Why do you want to take a child to a rock concert? That is the real question...It's not like they are asking to go (at 3 or 4years old)
    I dont understand the point...IMO I think it is stupid and shows a total lack of judgement....Pot and Booze have nothing to do with it.....
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    The fact is that is no one is saying it would be a miscarriage of justice.

But the person who turns in a pot smoker at a Rock and Roll gig probably shouldn't have come in the first place or just hase never been in a show atmosphere before.

Fuck that... I go to a concert to see the band and enjoy the show. If someone by smoking (pot, cigarette, crack, pixie sticks) is bothering or hindering my enjoyment of the show, I'll say something to them. If they refuse to put out the offensive object, I'll do something that is well within my rights... tell an usher. It is ILLEGAL to smoke anything inside most ampitheaters, arenas, and stadiums.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    Fuck that... I go to a concert to see the band and enjoy the show. If someone by smoking (pot, cigarette, crack, pixie sticks) is bothering or hindering my enjoyment of the show, I'll say something to them. If they refuse to put out the offensive object, I'll do something that is well within my rights... tell an usher. It is ILLEGAL to smoke anything inside most ampitheaters, arenas, and stadiums.

That is understandable. Someone who is bothering you shoudl be turned in.

What I'm saying is...it would be ridiculous for someone to see a pot smoker like 2 rows away and go tell an usher.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:

WOW. You sound like tons of fun. Tell them you are about to go tell on them. See how it plays out. If I am singing along and its annoying are you going to go tell on me? What if I jump up and down on my left leg, will that upset you? it isnt YOUR concert, its everyones. Deal with it or go home.

I would never tell on anybody at a concert for anything, except for a uneven fight and someone is getting seriously injured, but even that I wouldnt go TELL on them I would try to break it up, which I have.

• Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    voodoopug wrote:
    his character also happened to be unemployed and broke until he opened a music school.......which I assure you is not as easy as the movie suggested.
    great point
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    WOW. You sound like tons of fun. Tell them you are about to go tell on them. See how it plays out. If I am singing along and its annoying are you going to go tell on me? What if I jump up and down on my left leg, will that upset you? it isnt YOUR concert, its everyones. Deal with it or go home.

I would never tell on anybody at a concert for anything, except for a uneven fight and someone is getting seriously injured, but even that I wouldnt go TELL on them I would try to break it up, which I have.

So, I have asthma and the smoke bothers and irritates that, I have no right to tell you to stop doing something illegal (smoking in a venue)??? Sorry but I'm well within my rights. And if you refuse, I have the right to tell an usher. I gave you your chance, you wanted to be a prick... ok.

As for the jumping, and singing along... its part of the show. I'll sure as hell be jumping and singing too. Now if you continue to jump on my legs, I'll sure as hell tell you to watch it. Remember the concert isn't just for YOU either.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    Yeah this is retarded.

It's a fucking rock concert. If you go there with your kids, be prepared to see:

- Pot Smokers

- Drunk and obnoxious people

- Drunk and obnoxious pot smokers.

For real. Sophistication? THIS IS NOT A FUCKIGN ART EXHIBIT. THIS IS A ROCK SHOW. PEOPLE WANT TO LET GO FOR 2 HOURS, and if that means smoking pot or getting drunk...then it's their right to do so. I'm not about appeasing the fucking idiot who brought their 4 year old next to me. I'm about having a good time and listening to music for myself. Thats why Ipaid the $400000 a fucking ticket to see the band.

Please people, think about what you're getting your kid into by bringing him to a concert. It's expected that these things happen becuase they happen at EVERY CONCERT and have been happening for the past 40 years.

Don't be ignorant.
    This is bullshit; what about us that want to see the show and paid the same money and do not want to be bothered by smoke in our faces and drunks falling all over us and puking and smelling like shit? I am not defending bringing kids, but just because it's a rock concert, doesn't mean you can ruin other peoples' times. I don't want to hear anymore shit about it being your right. I have rights too and pot smokers and cigarette smokers and drunks constantly infringe on my right to have a PLEASANT time seeing the band I love.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    This is bullshit; what about us that want to see the show and paid the same money and do not want to be bothered by smoke in our faces and drunks falling all over us and puking and smelling like shit? I am not defending bringing kids, but just because it's a rock concert, doesn't mean you can ruin other peoples' times. I don't want to hear anymore shit about it being your right. I have rights too and pot smokers and cigarette smokers and drunks constantly infringe on my right to have a PLEASANT time seeing the band I love.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HAVE YOU PEOPLE EVER BEEN TO A PEARL JAM SHOW?!?!?!?!??!

FUCKING CMON HERE. People are wasted, smoke pot, and do all sorts of drugs at EVERY PEARL JAM SHOW.

Has it ever bothered you before?

Then why should it start now.

No one is saying it's a right, but it is socially excepted behavior at a ROCK GIG. Have you people EVER been to a rock gig? IT'S NOT A CIRCUS. REPEAT, IT'S NOT A CIRCUS.

If it doesn't bother you, then why get all uptight?

If it does bother you, you have every right to get an usher.
  • Options
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HAVE YOU PEOPLE EVER BEEN TO A PEARL JAM SHOW?!?!?!?!??!

FUCKING CMON HERE. People are wasted, smoke pot, and do all sorts of drugs at EVERY PEARL JAM SHOW.

Has it ever bothered you before?

Then why should it start now.

No one is saying it's a right, but it is socially excepted behavior at a ROCK GIG. Have you people EVER been to a rock gig? IT'S NOT A CIRCUS. REPEAT, IT'S NOT A CIRCUS.

If it doesn't bother you, then why get all uptight?

If it does bother you, you have every right to get an usher.

I know what a rock show is; I've been to around 50 in my life and I am getting older and tired of spending money (especially now at $80+ a ticket) and want to have less smoke in my face. Sorry that I don't agree with your skewed view.
  • Options
    That is understandable. Someone who is bothering you shoudl be turned in.

What I'm saying is...it would be ridiculous for someone to see a pot smoker like 2 rows away and go tell an usher.

I totally agree. You're more than welcome to do your own thing, just as long as you respect my right to not have to endure whatever that is. Especially when it is illegal. The same goes for a drunk asshole who wants to run up and down a row of chairs during a show.

Admin

• Options
    I know what a rock show is; I've been to around 50 in my life and I am getting older and tired of spending money (especially now at $80+ a ticket) and want to have less smoke in my face. Sorry that I don't agree with your skewed view.

Skewed view?

Sorry you're getting older, but cmon man. This is a rock concert. It's not the opera, perhaps try there if you don't want to smell smoke or see people drinking.

I go to a concert to have fun and listen to music, not to appease all the old folks in the crowd.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    So, I have asthma and the smoke bothers and irritates that, I have no right to tell you to stop doing something illegal (smoking in a venue)??? Sorry but I'm well within my rights. And if you refuse, I have the right to tell an usher. I gave you your chance, you wanted to be a prick... ok.

As for the jumping, and singing along... its part of the show. I'll sure as hell be jumping and singing too. Now if you continue to jump on my legs, I'll sure as hell tell you to watch it. Remember the concert isn't just for YOU either.

you know what, if I lit a joint, and you turned to me and "listen, I have asthma and that smoke is really bothering me" I would respond with "Sorry give me 15 seconds and I will put it out" If that wasnt good enough for you, then I dont know what to tell you. It is a rock concert so you know this situation is going to occur. And if you did go and tell on me, just know by the time you get back with an usher i already be done and there would be nothing that could be done.

but like I said if you were cool about it, I would too.

• Options

please tell me you're not going to SC or Virgina Beach...;)
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    you know what, if I lit a joint, and you turned to me and "listen, I have asthma and that smoke is really bothering me" I would respond with "Sorry give me 15 seconds and I will put it out" If that wasnt good enough for you, then I dont know what to tell you. It is a rock concert so you know this situation is going to occur. And if you did go and tell on me, just know by the time you get back with an usher i already be done and there would be nothing that could be done.

See and that's what its all comes down to.. a little respect on all sides.

Admin

• Options
    ninerniner Posts: 72
    chromiam wrote:
    See and that's what its all comes down to.. a little respect on all sides.

OMG finally someone sees the fuckin light.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T! not respect my "rights to do blah, blah, blah"
    just common, simple, human respect!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I took my oldest niece when she was 12.
    I took my only nephew when he was 10 (a couple weeks shy of 11)
    and I'm taking my twin's oldest daughter this June. She will be 11. All 3 to their first concerts, not just first PJ concerts :)

I'm a worry wart extrodinaire. If it's unsafe in anyway, or if she is concerned, we are out of there. At the other two shows with my niece and nephew I didn't have any problems. Everyone around us were cool, and the bandmembers were cool.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I took my oldest niece when she was 12.
    I took my only nephew when he was 10 (a couple weeks shy of 11)
    and I'm taking my twin's oldest daughter this June. She will be 11. All 3 to their first concerts, not just first PJ concerts :)

I'm a worry wart extrodinaire. If it's unsafe in anyway, or if she is concerned, we are out of there. At the other two shows with my niece and nephew I didn't have any problems. Everyone around us were cool, and the bandmembers were cool.

these are pretty decent ages though. there's a big difference between a 10-12 year old and a 2-4 year old. maybe not in terms of the "bad behavior" exposure people are talking about (which I think is moot concern for the most part), but in terms of the KID'S behavior know what I mean?
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:

I agree, that is all we are asking for.
  • Options
    soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    I think it all depends on the kid, I've met some really cool, laid back 8 yr. olds....lol. Both of my kids went to their first show at 13. They will be seeing their second show now at 17 & 15. I can honestly say I didn't have problems with drunkards around in the fan club seats, and the whiff of pot smoke lingered a few times, but they didn't notice. If someone lights up right next to us this go round, I'll have to think on my feet. But...sharing the whole PJ exp. with your kids is something really special if music is something your family enjoys...my kids happen to love 'em so to see them smiling through the whole show, and my daughter at 13 yrs. old screaming the words to evolution, and my son cranking his fists and showing emotion I didn't know he had, well, priceless. :)
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • Options
    This is bullshit; what about us that want to see the show and paid the same money and do not want to be bothered by smoke in our faces and drunks falling all over us and puking and smelling like shit?

um how about don't pay the money and go then?

it's a huge crowd of people. this is what happens when you go somewhere with a large crowd of people. you know the drill before you buy the ticket. there is a line between what is acceptable and what is not. If you "turn someone in" because they are smoking next to you, that's like crying wolf. I have been literally HARASSED by frat boys at a PJ show both in the show and after in the parking lot (threatening violence, egging us on by (not spilling) dumping beer over our heads, trying to get in my car, THROWING a grill at my car, jumping on the hood of my car, etc). I was literally afraid for my safety (and my brother's). THAT is a problem which should not be tolerated. Slight discomfort, unpleasant smells, being bumped into accidentally...these are, well, slight discomforts that are INEVITABLE in a large crowd and are expected and should be tolerated as long as everyone is safe and there's no really big incidents going on. Actually, you're like my dad- he can't tolerate any slight discomforts like the ones you get in big crowds, rock concerts, etc. so guess what, he doesn't go to them!

the only thing you can claim infringes on your so called "rights" as a ticket holder is if someone sneaks into your row. that's stealing. and my opinion (but I've still never turned anyone in for it).