Options

People who bring their kids to PJ shows...

Comments

• Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    SPALMA wrote:
    ahhh... 40, 50 doesn't feel a whole lot different than 24, 32, 17... well, ok, there are SOME differences, but mostly for the better. I wouldn't want to go back. And the "relevance" of music is just as strong now as it ever was.

Well, I do need to take Advil after the shows for my aching bones. I never needed to do that in my earlier years. But the loud music doesn't bother me anymore since my hearing is shot anyhow!
  • Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    Looking back at this response I must have been temporarily insane to even consider debating parenthood with you.
    You should alert the national securites bureau, let them know there is a guy running around like me in here.
    I am starting my own cult too.
    I love it thank you for giving my wife and I something to laugh at.
    Your family sounds like a cult. The two of you, Damian Echols and Charles Manson.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,211
    "you know, last time i checked this was america."
    -steve byrne
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    heh i hope nathanastin isn't going to bonnaroo. could you imagine?

he'd be the official hall monitor of Bonnaroo. they'd have to shut down the whole festival.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    SPALMA wrote:
    ahhh... 40, 50 doesn't feel a whole lot different than 24, 32, 17... well, ok, there are SOME differences, but mostly for the better. I wouldn't want to go back. And the "relevance" of music is just as strong now as it ever was.

it's all state of mind. ;)

and the wisdom the old can't give away..........
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    I don't care that there are those that "slam" me. There have been many people in prison - let alone Death Row - whom are in fact - innocent. I personally will follow the facts - and disregard those whom don't. Based on the facts...I will draw my conclusions.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    it's all state of mind. ;)

and the wisdom the old can't give away..........

WTF???? I know you meant no dis-respect. But seriously. When I was in my 20's - I thought those in their 40's were old. (and creepy!) However - now that I'm in my 40's (now I'm "lowering myself to remind you how old EV is) - I think you kinda suck for your remark. Thanks for reminding us we are no longer "your" age. Been there. Done that. No repeats....thank you. I go forward....not backwards. You'll be here....where I am.....sooner than you think. Don't picture us over 40 in a "Home" with Hospice workers. You will in fact appreciate what I stating right now....when YOU in FACT get HERE. Sit next to me at Tampa - why don't ya. I''ll try my best not to out-race you with my Hover-round! Are you Frikon serious????!!! Hello!!!????
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

• Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    Your family sounds like a cult. The two of you, Damian Echols and Charles Manson.

Stop drinking out of the toilet, it makes you say carazy shit.
    You made your point.
    I am a bad parent for not letting my 9 year old go to motley crue, and I am a narcicist for inviting my family to west palm beach so my wife and daughters can soak up the sun for 3 days, while I go to a concert that is prob 4 hours.
    I will seek counselling.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Rose1963 wrote:
    WTF???? I know you meant no dis-respect. But seriously. When I was in my 20's - I thought those in their 40's were old. (and creepy!) However - now that I'm in my 40's (now I'm "lowering myself to remind you how old EV is) - I think you kinda suck for your remark. Thanks for reminding us we are no longer "your" age. Been there. Done that. No repeats....thank you. I go forward....not backwards. You'll be here....where I am.....sooner than you think. Don't picture us over 40 in a "Home" with Hospice workers. You will in fact appreciate what I stating right now....when YOU in FACT get HERE. Sit next to me at Tampa - why don't ya. I''ll try my best not to out-race you with my Hover-round! Are you Frikon serious????!!! Hello!!!????

I can quite confidently say that you misunderstood her :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Stop drinking out of the toilet, it makes you say carazy shit.
    You made your point.
    I am a bad parent for not letting my 9 year old go to motley crue, and I am a narcicist for inviting my family to west palm beach so my wife and daughters can soak up the sun for 3 days, while I go to a concert that is prob 4 hours.
    I will seek counselling.

Don't listen to "spoon fed" crap via this message board. I hope that you don't take these "half-assed" remarks to beg with you and think these repies make up whom you are as a person. This is exactly where your sense of humor needs to "kick-in!" Seriously. Come at me as well - you little Anti Christs - I am a Jain anyway! Jokes on you! Little rodents! Live and let live!

• Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    the wolf wrote:
    i think you are missing some of the points brought up by the parents.

let me say for one, i dont smoke, but i dont care if someone does at a show.
    with that being said. parents do have the "right" to bring their kids to shows.
    potsmokers and even drunks ( which i do drink at shows ) do NOT have the "rights" to smoke pot or get drunk at shows.
    drinking is not one of your "rights" and its legal. so smoking pot is not a "right" for sure.

when people say "its my right to get drunk" well , they are actually wrong.
    there is no such "right".

anyway, ill be the guy at the show with a good buzz ( from beer ) knowing that the only "right" i have, is to be there. and i will act accordingly, and try my best not to fuck up the night for anyone else.

i hope i sit near you.
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    Guess what. you are in the minority. Most people either smoke or dont care or care but understand it's the price you pay to go to a show. Suck it up and deal with it for a couple hours. It will be over soon and you can go back to your germ free bubble.

or you could suck it up and deal with not smoking/urinating on yourself for a few hours... dont worry, you can go back to your shithole and do whatever you want soon enough.

some people are just fucking morons. i'd take a guess at probably 98% of all people at concerts dont give a shit about people smoking pot or being drunk... its when those people who choose to be impaired infringe on other peoples rights to watch the show. ive had people be drunk next to me at shows, smoke weed next to me... however, they didnt jump on me, puke on me, blow smoke in my face all show so i was fine with it. however, ive also had people smashing their way right down rows jumping around drunk repeatedly the whole night, ive also seen people turn and vomit on other peoples chairs because they were so drunk... now people who PAID for that seat cant use it.

it seems like you'd be the type of person who'd say "deal with it, its a rock show... comes with the territory."

id love to see the day someone knocks some of these peoples teeth out and says "deal with it, you fucked with me, losing your teeth comes with the territory..."
  • Options
    I hav'nt read all the comments on this thread, but here's my experience. Well, my husband and I took our kids to night 2 at the Gorge in '06 when they were 8 and almost 6. I had gone to gorge the year before, and after seeing the layout, thought that would be a good first intro to PJ live for them. The venue is beautiful, felt safe, and if nothing else, fresh air all around should pot smokers be near, which I had'nt witnessed so much in '05 in my area. Also it seemed that they were allowing kids into the rows on the floor (ie saw a kid w/two adults in 10c zones, where there were only seats for two, and kid just shared that space with them). So we comprimised. Husband and I went night one on our own, and left the kids with my dad back at our little hotel w/the pool. Night two we were better prepared to share the experience with them.
    There were several reasons we brought them.
    1) They are both super cool kids, and are totally easy to hang out with, and can go with the flow well. (No 40 trips to pee or needing snacks etc, and could stay focussed on the show, despite the heat.)
    2) They are "forced" (!) to listen to alot of PJ at home, so thought this would be a good field trip for them. I guess that the swearing/smoking issue was a tiny thought, but really, it's nothing they have'nt heard me say in a fit of anger! Also, I can just use Eddie as an example of maybe not making the best decision in choosing to smoke.
    3) My son has played electric guitar since he was 7, so appreciates a good musician. Luckily we were in row 10 on Mike's side, and to see Julian's face when Mike played was worth it just alone.
    4) My 6 year old knows the lyrics way better than me! =:0
    5) It felt the right time that they saw what their Mom and dad love to do - see their favourite band live.
    Anyway, it turned out to be a most amazing evening, and the kids were thrilled. (FYI we did have legit seats for them on the floor, but just had them sit up with us in our row, and bouncers or the folks around us were never fussed. Also luckily on the aisle.) The show did not disappoint, there were no drunks or potheads around us, so that turned out not to be an issue. The kids especially loved the pre party and getting a smaller sized "Pearl Yam" T shirt as a souvenier at the Chrones fundraiser.
    So having said all that, they of course want to come to more shows with us. But I will be firm that won't be happening every time, and ideally I will only ever consider it at the Gorge until they are older. But it was very special to share this experience with them, and they still talk about it today. I made them each a cool little collage that they hung in their rooms of momento from their first show (ie set lists, photos of them with the boys singing behind them). I think we are doing them a service to bring them good music at a young age.
    OK, peace for now...
  • Options
    catwoman wrote:
    You're a good son (or daughter -- can't tell your sex).

ha. my mom loved pearl jam since day 1. she would always go on about how she loves mr. vedder for all these years.

she had a blast. only had to take one pee break. she has the bladder of an 80 year old woman too...

i'll enjoy my youth while i have it
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    I have taken my kids to thier first concert (they were 8 and 13 at the time) to Bridge School... they have since been twice...
    I think its nice and mellow and a great show for Kids, plus they get exposed to different bands that they never would listen too...

I have taken my oldest to a reg PJ show and the smoke was too much for him..
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I'm a guy who saw his first show at 6 ( 1965) and saw this loud ,lefthanded guitar player from Seattle named Jimi open for the group I was there to see, The Monkees , Temple Stadium ,Philly, August 1967 at age 8 , and saw The Who, Pink Floyd, and The Troggs at JFK Stadium on 7/24/68. All because my aunt loved music and wanted to introduce me to different types. And for good grades during the school year just ended.

I think it's great kids get exposed to the joy and excitement that is music and a concert setting. Just make sure their ears are protected and they can see as well as possible to really enjoy the show. As for smoking and drinking, adults must not bogart the weed and booze. Pass it on. NO, SERIOUSLY, kids will be exposed to that stuff in life. Best to remove them from settings where booze or drugs are being abused, but I can't see how adults can avoid all of it.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Boston night 2 2006 - a father and daughter sat together in row 3 - she had a sign that said "SMILE" Ed brought her up on stage and played the song. Ed reaches out to the kids he sees in the audience a lot. It appears that the band is happy to see young children at their shows, and venues do not put age restrictions on them (most venues). So it appears they are welcome there. Maybe not by *everyone* in attendance, but frankly I do not care what opinions the ticket holders have.

In all the 20+ shows I have been to only once did I have a bad surrounding crowd.

My son has been asking to go to a PJ show for 2 years and I have my reasons for saying no. And I will continue to say no probably until he is 12-14 for my own individual reasons. That is what it boils down to - a parental choice.

When we planned our trip to San Diego and then I heard Ed would be there the SAME week, it gave me an opportunity. My son is 8 and I felt the EV solo would be a good 1st show....not 3+ hours, and a pretty mellow setlist. I got him protective ear gear and he is totally psyched! and he is far from a whiner - many people have misconceptions. he also isnt going to pass out from exhaustion at 10:30. he isnt coming to any shows with me in June - just this one. we are both really looking forward to it.

so sorry if you are sitting next to us and you are anti kid at concerts, but at least he won't annoy you, fall on you or spill beer on you. hopefully we will be seated with the non judgmental folks and just have a great time and enjoy the music.

I may look back on it and say "he was too young", or "it was a mistake to bring him" - but hey, that is fine, lesson learned. not the worst thing in the world. parents make far worse decisions. i think we are both going to walk away from it on a positive note. i really believe it will be a good experience that i wont regret and he will always remember.

these threads really need to die. so many are acting like doctor spock and have no right to!
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    I can quite confidently say that you misunderstood her :)

Perhaps you are correct. (Misunderstanding- no doubt....) However, it does get quite "old" (excuse the "pun") of those thinking everyone over "40" suddenly needs a "walker"....or that we are frikon "Wise." Sounds like something my grandpa said to me....late 70's.....Live and learn. I am personally about that....makes us a little smarter, wiser, but NOT OLD. Please do not refer to us as Old - and I will no longer be offended. And btw -I don't consider myself old - nor fat...but a bit wiser - evey day -for the road I travel. Aren't we all....(wiser for that)....and how age should not be assigned for the life-lessons of what one has learned in life...?

• Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    kh65 wrote:
    There is a place for kids and a place for adults. Anyone under the age of 13 hasn't really developed an adult appreciation for music. Plus, unless you've turned your "tween" into a pothead how are YOU going to explain the drugs. They should still be in the stage of learning right from wrong, time and place for everything. Plus, the people around you don't need an uninterested whining 8 year old around them. How much fun is it for the rest of the crowd.

Rant over.

Just what is an adult apreciation.
    and who in the hell are you to judge what a person of any age apreciates.
    my little one jumps up and down and boogies to just about any music but esp Pearl jam and more so the boots ( SHE LOVES THE CHEERING)
    ISNT THAT ALL THE APRECIATION THATS REQUIRED """"" DANCING""""""
    OH SHE MIGHT NOT GET EDS DEEP LYRICS is that it???
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    Boston night 2 2006 - a father and daughter sat together in row 3 - she had a sign that said "SMILE" Ed brought her up on stage and played the song. Ed reaches out to the kids he sees in the audience a lot. It appears that the band is happy to see young children at their shows, and venues do not put age restrictions on them (most venues). So it appears they are welcome there. Maybe not by *everyone* in attendance, but frankly I do not care what opinions the ticket holders have.

In all the 20+ shows I have been to only once did I have a bad surrounding crowd.

My son has been asking to go to a PJ show for 2 years and I have my reasons for saying no. And I will continue to say no probably until he is 12-14 for my own individual reasons. That is what it boils down to - a parental choice.

When we planned our trip to San Diego and then I heard Ed would be there the SAME week, it gave me an opportunity. My son is 8 and I felt the EV solo would be a good 1st show....not 3+ hours, and a pretty mellow setlist. I got him protective ear gear and he is totally psyched! and he is far from a whiner - many people have misconceptions. he also isnt going to pass out from exhaustion at 10:30. he isnt coming to any shows with me in June - just this one. we are both really looking forward to it.

so sorry if you are sitting next to us and you are anti kid at concerts, but at least he won't annoy you, fall on you or spill beer on you. hopefully we will be seated with the non judgmental folks and just have a great time and enjoy the music.

I may look back on it and say "he was too young", or "it was a mistake to bring him" - but hey, that is fine, lesson learned. not the worst thing in the world. parents make far worse decisions. i think we are both going to walk away from it on a positive note. i really believe it will be a good experience that i wont regret and he will always remember.

these threads really need to die. so many are acting like doctor spock and have no right to!
    I hope you enjoy yourselves a heap.
    see this whole topic is a bit silly really Or really some reactions
    I would think that all parents would not be getting their kids seated in the pit/ rowdy areas of shows.
    I know that when I take mine we will either be seated back or to the sides behind all the manic fans/ one to ensure its not too much and two to allow people who wanna dance the chance to. if my daughter gets upset then we have a plan to get her away pronto.
    it seems many thinks that parents who want to take their children are not responsable. and thats just not true. I just want to share the expeience ( that I love ) with her.
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    gtrplyr wrote:
    This argument is laughable.

People...smoking pot is illegal. Smoking in most amphitheaters is illegal. yet, you complain about the people who dont' want you to do those things?

Someone in this thread said it was his RIGHT to smoke pot at a concert.

I'm pretty sure its no one's right to break the law.

Whether you think it should be legal or not is irrelevant.

The bottom line is that it affects other people's health. You not caring about that shows exactly what kind of selfish prick you really are.

I have been stoned at rock shows including pearl jam- but every time I have used the stuff its been outside / on the way or at home before. Yes I agree its against the law, but at least Im not infringing on others.
    tossers do it show to show how ROCKNROLL they are.. a bit pathetic really.
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    Thats right! Because personal opinion and speaking out against things is so anti-Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    My parents took me to see the beach boys when I was 8 or 9. It was at Six flags Astroworld, and I have been going to several shows with them. Some of the shows they have taken me to, I didn't care musically but I still had a good time and it's another band to add to my seen them list. I think everyone has pretty much covered the basics, and it is truly up to the parent wether or not they think their kids can handle it.
    If you want to take the kids, just have a talk with them about the rules and the behavior that some people engage in and how they should not get drunk publically or smoke pot. In all honesty though, I don't even really remember being around pot or a bunch of drunks at shows when my parents took me. Then again, I was a youngster and had no idea what any of that stuff was anyway.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    My parents took me to see the beach boys when I was 8 or 9. It was at Six flags Astroworld, and I have been going to several shows with them. Some of the shows they have taken me to, I didn't care musically but I still had a good time and it's another band to add to my seen them list. I think everyone has pretty much covered the basics, and it is truly up to the parent wether or not they think their kids can handle it.
    If you want to take the kids, just have a talk with them about the rules and the behavior that some people engage in and how they should not get drunk publically or smoke pot. In all honesty though, I don't even really remember being around pot or a bunch of drunks at shows when my parents took me. Then again, I was a youngster and had no idea what any of that stuff was anyway.

Whoa!!! Not get drunk publically? Just tell them people do what they do.
  • Options
    I may look back on it and say "he was too young", or "it was a mistake to bring him" - but hey, that is fine, lesson learned. not the worst thing in the world. parents make far worse decisions.

That's what happened to me when I took him to see Neil Young. It was a mistake. We had to leave early and he had been sick and threw up when we came back. It was the worst possible outcome, but in the grand scheme of things... much worse for a kid to be yelled at, ignored etc. than be taken to a rock concert :)
  • Options
    prljmngrl wrote:
    Thats right! Because personal opinion and speaking out against things is so anti-Pearl Jam.

shut up

sorry, I had to :D
  • Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    Perhaps you are correct. (Misunderstanding- no doubt....) However, it does get quite "old" (excuse the "pun") of those thinking everyone over "40" suddenly needs a "walker"....or that we are frikon "Wise." Sounds like something my grandpa said to me....late 70's.....Live and learn. I am personally about that....makes us a little smarter, wiser, but NOT OLD. Please do not refer to us as Old - and I will no longer be offended. And btw -I don't consider myself old - nor fat...but a bit wiser - evey day -for the road I travel. Aren't we all....(wiser for that)....and how age should not be assigned for the life-lessons of what one has learned in life...?

Well, Decides2Dream is pretty close to the big 40 (so am I) and I know she adores several fans here who have become great friends of hers, and with whom she absolutely loves going to shows. So yeah, big miscommunication there :)
  • Options
    Well 1 thing I must add is there are posts in here where the parents have taken responsibilty and given good reason, obviously they are in touch with their family and taken it upon themselves to make sure the situation and circumstances are better.
    The bridge school would be a good start. Ed solo would be an even better start. You can trust pretty much what pj is going to do, as stated Ed does have his hang ups, west memphis 3, the pres, ect, ect, but honestly that kind of stuff is also on the local news.
    All it takes is good judgement and its obvious in some of these threads it shows amonst some of the others. When it comes to children your senses of judgement need to become stronger.
    Example My child really appreciates the music and has been begging for 2 years to go to pearl jam. As some stated they choose the atmospehere, type of show, and have a conversation and explain to them what could go wrong, and also have the intention of leaving early, possibly have mom there
    The remarks in some posts like adults act just like children anyway, they are going to eventually smell pot, and who cares about the measage I just want to have my child expierenxce a show, and it is a free countrty, it just shows a lack of responsibility as a parent, now some of you who made those comments may not be a parent like , a stepmom, aunt, uncle, so I cant hold it aginst you, you are not going to have the same connection with someones child as their parent would.Its a fact.
    My whole argument in this post started because a mom was looking for approval for taking her nine year old to motley crue.
    ****None of these other circumstances I speak of are even close to situation I have rambled on about, so please anyone with clear insight do not smudge the 2.
    It is not fair to compare them because the bands measage and fans are completely differant, and if someone cant tell the differance that is the lack of judgement I am talking about.**********
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Rose1963 wrote:
    or that we are frikon "Wise." Sounds like something my grandpa said to me....late 70's.....Live and learn. I am personally about that....makes us a little smarter, wiser, but NOT OLD. Please do not refer to us as Old - and I will no longer be offended. And btw -I don't consider myself old - nor fat...but a bit wiser - evey day -for the road I travel. Aren't we all....(wiser for that)....and how age should not be assigned for the life-lessons of what one has learned in life...?

"The wisdom that the old can't give away
    Hey
    Constant recoil
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone"

They are lyrics from Love Boat Captain.

Without a doubt she was referring to Pearl Jam lyrics and repeating them in the context in which they were written by Ed.(Which I believe are in no way meant to be derogatory toward older people...)
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    meme wrote:
    shut up

sorry, I had to :D

Thank you. :)