Options

PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• Options
    If I remember rightly, back in the day they were sceptical about a 'youngste'r joining who was about 30. He was about AA number 4 or 5 or something. So, if you feel that 27 is too old for the meeting, just remember that you'd have been far too young back then! Changing times.
    Enjoy the meeting.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    I am 22 years sober today. :D
    the whole world will be different soon
    the whole world will be relieved
  • Options
    borisdisco wrote:

Wow, congratulations!
  • Options
    borisdisco wrote:
    congrats! that is amazing.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    the record for sobriety last time i checked was STILL 24 hours..
    ;)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    I recently decided, yet again, that I need to stop drinking. I'm more of a weekend warrior type of drinker. Don't drink really anything all week, then go nuts on the Crown on the weekend. Haven't joined any "official" group yet, just trying to do it on my own. I have a pre-existing anxiety/depression issue, that has been controlled by meds no problem. Until now. This past weekend was my first without the drink. Last two days (Sunday/Monday) I've been horribly depressed. I almost stepped off the curb this morning on the way to work in front of a tractor. Then I saw my 4 year old daughter's smiling face in my mind, and stopped.

I did a bit of research, and found that depression can be a side effect of withdrawal. Should I expect this to subside, or should I make an emergency appointment with my shrink?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    Paul David wrote:
    I recently decided, yet again, that I need to stop drinking. I'm more of a weekend warrior type of drinker. Don't drink really anything all week, then go nuts on the Crown on the weekend. Haven't joined any "official" group yet, just trying to do it on my own. I have a pre-existing anxiety/depression issue, that has been controlled by meds no problem. Until now. This past weekend was my first without the drink. Last two days (Sunday/Monday) I've been horribly depressed. I almost stepped off the curb this morning on the way to work in front of a tractor. Then I saw my 4 year old daughter's smiling face in my mind, and stopped.

I did a bit of research, and found that depression can be a side effect of withdrawal. Should I expect this to subside, or should I make an emergency appointment with my shrink?
    umm, for sure go see your Doc. be completely honest. We as alcoholics are not exactly qualified to give advice on this. other than to suggest seeing your Doc.

My experience was a lifetime of depression that I treated with alcohol and drugs. Honestly I cant remember withdrawal period and what I felt. I had sunk as far as one can and still be relatively healthy.

I would encourage you to at least go to a few meetings. see what you think. try a few different groups. Look up AA in your local phone directory or go here to search for meeting near you should you decide to go. www.aa.org .

In any case, we're here to help each other. you are more than welcome to post in here.

PM if you want to.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Paul David wrote:

In my own experience, time is a great healer. I felt very raw and afraid when I stopped drinking but over time it gets better.

It helped me a lot in the first weeks to ask someone here on the board all kinds of questions that were worrying me. One drinker talking to another.

Other than that, there is the idea in AA of going "to any length" to stay sober and improve our lives. That can mean great sacrifice but it can also mean just seeking all help that is available: doctors, mental health workers, other drinkers, friends, family. We all have a program that is very much our own and some things work for some of us and other things for others. It is work investigating all possible aids to recovery to find out what ones work specfiically for you. You never know which angle might be the one that helps all the pieces fall into place.

There is also a piece of AA literature called "living sober" which has lots of suggestions for coping with early sobriety. You don't have to be in AA to find that a useful mine of information and a source of strength.

Godd luck. Like mickeyrat said, PM me if you ever need to. I'm not as wise as him but I'm willing to help if I possibly can :)
  • Options
    thanks folks. feeling a bit better today. :)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Any wisdom I have is from a hell of alot of mistakes or stolen from others!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Damn it, I have been feeling ANGRY this week. Angry and depressed. I keep trying to quit smoking, like it is the next piece of the puzzle but I'm just not ready it seems because when I start out with quitting I turn into a monster who I just can't afford to be. Not with my sobriety and not around my family.

I dunno how to approach this one. I like smoking, it feels like I need that vice after quitting the booze and drugs over recent years, but it impacts on my quality of life and my mental state. I end up in a kind of emotional limbo and that isn't good for my sobriety.
  • Options
    Damn it, I have been feeling ANGRY this week. Angry and depressed. I keep trying to quit smoking, like it is the next piece of the puzzle but I'm just not ready it seems because when I start out with quitting I turn into a monster who I just can't afford to be. Not with my sobriety and not around my family.

I dunno how to approach this one. I like smoking, it feels like I need that vice after quitting the booze and drugs over recent years, but it impacts on my quality of life and my mental state. I end up in a kind of emotional limbo and that isn't good for my sobriety.
    well, you could begin by at least cutting back on the amount you smoke.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

well, you could begin by at least cutting back on the amount you smoke.

That sounds like progress, I'm not happy with anything short of perfection! ;)
  • Options
    Just a quick note to say, feel free to PM. I would encourage anyone to post in here, but I do understand if even with the anonymity the board names provide how some may not be comfortable.

It is a day at a time deal. And while I'm not there yet, I'm confident that when I wake tomorrow , I will have been given 5 yrs of continous sobriety. My word, where does the time go? Seems just like yesterday that that fateful decision to ask for help was made. The past 5 yrs have been full of ups and downs. That just tells me I'm no different than anyone else that walks this earth. But what a ride its been to date!!

For those still struggling with whatever drives them , there IS hope. It IS possible to live, actually live, free of drugs and alcohol. AND be happy to boot!!

Peace to you all.

• Options
    A tad early but , Happy Easter!!!

Remember, if the family gathering proves to be too much. Get your behind to a meeting if ones available to you!!

• Options
    i shit and i stinki shit and i stink Posts: 1,122
    edited June 2011
    Got through a tough patch recently. I was rocked by a few things in the family and other pressure.
    Made me realise:

I should enjoy sobriety as much as I can. If I'm living sober, I should be really living.

I need other people.
    Post edited by i shit and i stink on
  • Options
    Since I came into the fellowship, I've noticed that AA is everywhere in popular culture. It seems that every other film I watch has someone in recovery. And half the books I read too... from 'Slaughterhouse 5' to Grisham's 'The Associate', which I just finished. I guess recovery just makes for a good story.
  • Options
    This thread got buried!
    :shock:
    BUMP
  • Options
    Well,

I just spent the weekend at a sober campout. was a good time with a lot of meetings. Plus hiking, spending time with my honey, getting to know her son better. was a good time.

Soon I will be moving in with her and her kids. Have a plan in place between the two of us. Whats expected of me in relation to her kids, house etc...We're on the same page, so I'm hopeful, as is she(also in recovery , almost 10 years now), that things will work out.

This time there was much needed as there have been some management changes at work. Higher level changes , so things SEEM dicey right now. Patience will allow it all to unfold. I dont fear for my job, but it does give me pause and wonder whats next for me. In addition to that , we have our storewide inventory in 24 days. Always a stressful time. But I'm experienced so I believe I can roll with it.

All of this has driven me to pray more often and give thanks when its due. Not a bad thing!!

All in all I'm living, actually LIVING, a pretty good life.

Peace.

• Options
    Markiemark70Markiemark70 Posts: 103
    Hey All, I came over here from the Porch looking for the discussion with Tim and found this thread. Great discussion.I had no idea there were so many friends of Bill W. here.

I myself have been clean and sober for 14 years. I have an NA homegroup and a sponsor. Pearl Jam is one of the few things from my using days that I still enjoy, although I enjoy it differently in recovery than I did when I was high.

There are a lot of songs that have a recovery theme to me: Inside Job, Off He Goes, Sometimes, Present Tense, All Those Yesterdays and the list goes on. Anyways wish everyone another 24, I'll pop in from time to time to keep the discussion active.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,908
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Well,

I just spent the weekend at a sober campout. was a good time with a lot of meetings. Plus hiking, spending time with my honey, getting to know her son better. was a good time.

Soon I will be moving in with her and her kids. Have a plan in place between the two of us. Whats expected of me in relation to her kids, house etc...We're on the same page, so I'm hopeful, as is she(also in recovery , almost 10 years now), that things will work out.

This time there was much needed as there have been some management changes at work. Higher level changes , so things SEEM dicey right now. Patience will allow it all to unfold. I dont fear for my job, but it does give me pause and wonder whats next for me. In addition to that , we have our storewide inventory in 24 days. Always a stressful time. But I'm experienced so I believe I can roll with it.

All of this has driven me to pray more often and give thanks when its due. Not a bad thing!!

All in all I'm living, actually LIVING, a pretty good life.

Peace.

Glad to read that things are going well for you Mickey. I wish you continued success as you embark on this new journey :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Hey All, I came over here from the Porch looking for the discussion with Tim and found this thread. Great discussion.I had no idea there were so many friends of Bill W. here.

I myself have been clean and sober for 14 years. I have an NA homegroup and a sponsor. Pearl Jam is one of the few things from my using days that I still enjoy, although I enjoy it differently in recovery than I did when I was high.

There are a lot of songs that have a recovery theme to me: Inside Job, Off He Goes, Sometimes, Present Tense, All Those Yesterdays and the list goes on. Anyways wish everyone another 24, I'll pop in from time to time to keep the discussion active.
    Rock on!!! Welcome!!

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Another great blog from my friend Ellie about people who are " one the fence" about whether they have a drinking problem:
    Feel free to sign up for her posts or pass this one along to someone who might relate?
    http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/onecraft ... dium=email
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    pulled from The Big Book, related to step nine, but seems appropriate to what I'm experiencing at present.

"Reminding ourselves that we decided to go to any length to find a spiritual experince , we ask that we be given the strength to do the right thing, no matter what the personal consequences may be. We may lose our postion or reputation or face jail(doesnt apply here) , but we are willing. We have to be.We must not shrink at anything."

Alocholics Anonymous pg 79 *used without permission

• Options
    Dr. DanDr. Dan Posts: 11
    Any sober people going to PJ20? I am headed there solo. It would be nice to hang with some fellows.
    Go Terps!
  • Options
    DK214851 wrote:
    Any sober people going to PJ20? I am headed there solo. It would be nice to hang with some fellows.
    where any two or three are gathered, they can call themselves a group.......

WE make 2. 3 , if you count Mikey on stage.

• Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention:

Inside Job AA Group in Wroclaw, Poland celebrated one year last week :)
    And so did two of our founder members at the same meeting.

Good days
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention:

Inside Job AA Group in Wroclaw, Poland celebrated one year last week :)
    And so did two of our founder members at the same meeting.

Good days
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

• Options
    76 years and 2 days ago a man followed the suggestions of a fellow alcoholic. Alcoholics Anonymous was born.

• Options
    Dr. DanDr. Dan Posts: 11
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DK214851 wrote:
    where any two or three are gathered, they can call themselves a group.......

WE make 2. 3 , if you count Mikey on stage.

Sweet. 2 or 3 is good, because as we all know sometimes " one's a crowd."
    Go Terps!