Options

PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• Options
    donnaruhl wrote:
    Have you sat in on any meetings? That might not be the way for you. But I'm sure if you search the web, you might find Self Help Classes. Then just call and inquire within,and someone will point you in the right direction. :D Good Luck!

I havent sat in on any meetings. Thats part of what i was curious about. Ive never been to a meeting, so i can only go on what ive seen in films. And in movies its either this speaker at a podium in front of a bunch of people, or a small group of people, sitting in a circle discussing their feelings and how they are doing etc.. And since im not an addict and never have used any drugs, i dont know if I could participate in any of it. For one, because many of the people there might think i'd break their trust because im just observing and im not an addict. And two, because my life hasnt been ruined or altered by either myself or anyone else using drugs or alcohol or other such behavior. The overall emotions, as I said, I would no doubt be able to apply to my own life and my own situation. For example, someone discussing being sober for 10 days and relapsing, i could relate to it in my own life but just not in those specific terms. I couldnt discuss relapsing into drug use because ive never experienced any of that. But i most certainly could and would love to explore issues of self doubt, the sort of zen like approach to things, the honesty aspect of it being honest with yourself "you are only as sick as your secrets". The spiritual aspect of it. I love all that stuff.

Self help might indeed be what im looking for. The one featured on Enlightened seemed more self help as well.

Reguardless, i definitely think i would benefit from a 12 step program. The basic tenets of them I use regularly in my life and artistic process. But i guess as you point out, maybe im looking for a self help program or something.

Quite honestly, i'd willingly sign up for such a program.

I think im looking for a rehab/retreat center where you work on yourself, and deal with my problems, and issues and work on my life. Almost like a monastary or something.

It was funny because last year when I first saw Enlightened, i was thinking how I'd love to voluntarily enroll myself in such a program.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    donnaruhl wrote:
    Have you sat in on any meetings? That might not be the way for you. But I'm sure if you search the web, you might find Self Help Classes. Then just call and inquire within,and someone will point you in the right direction. :D Good Luck!

I havent sat in on any meetings. Thats part of what i was curious about. Ive never been to a meeting, so i can only go on what ive seen in films. And in movies its either this speaker at a podium in front of a bunch of people, or a small group of people, sitting in a circle discussing their feelings and how they are doing etc.. And since im not an addict and never have used any drugs, i dont know if I could participate in any of it. For one, because many of the people there might think i'd break their trust because im just observing and im not an addict. And two, because my life hasnt been ruined or altered by either myself or anyone else using drugs or alcohol or other such behavior. The overall emotions, as I said, I would no doubt be able to apply to my own life and my own situation. For example, someone discussing being sober for 10 days and relapsing, i could relate to it in my own life but just not in those specific terms. I couldnt discuss relapsing into drug use because ive never experienced any of that. But i most certainly could and would love to explore issues of self doubt, the sort of zen like approach to things, the honesty aspect of it being honest with yourself "you are only as sick as your secrets". The spiritual aspect of it. I love all that stuff.

Self help might indeed be what im looking for. The one featured on Enlightened seemed more self help as well.

Reguardless, i definitely think i would benefit from a 12 step program. The basic tenets of them I use regularly in my life and artistic process. But i guess as you point out, maybe im looking for a self help program or something.

Quite honestly, i'd willingly sign up for such a program.

I think im looking for a rehab/retreat center where you work on yourself, and deal with my problems, and issues and work on my life. Almost like a monastary or something.

It was funny because last year when I first saw Enlightened, i was thinking how I'd love to voluntarily enroll myself in such a program.
    movies or television are poor representations of recovery in general.

I would suggest going to www.aa.org to start and find your areas intergroup office. from there you can find meetings that have an open format that allow anyone who is interested to attend.
    Do some research other than movies for what you seek. The program itself isnt the sayings you have latched onto.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    once again, i should join :?
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    ever been before? I suggest you also start at the aa website. Nothing saying you need to stop right now or at all really. But you could find a few meetings to check out. You dont have to say anything if you dont want to while there. OR give a fake name if you want. Try a speaker/lead meeting to start. Good one to sit in the back and just listen. If you do go, look for where you can identify with whats shared.

Available to answer any questions or just talk if you want.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    mickeyrat wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:
    ever been before? I suggest you also start at the aa website. Nothing saying you need to stop right now or at all really. But you could find a few meetings to check out. You dont have to say anything if you dont want to while there. OR give a fake name if you want. Try a speaker/lead meeting to start. Good one to sit in the back and just listen. If you do go, look for where you can identify with whats shared.

thanks for the advice. ive always been a huge puss when it comes to getting help for my gambling and now my drinking problems. maybe now, i can find a place and just see whats it like
  • Options
    just remember , EVERYONE had a first meeting once.

• Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    I will be sober four years in July. I'm what 12steppers would call a dry drunk.I feel,You know when it's time. No one can tell you. No one can keep you there. You have to want to be there. And tomorrow, I'm going to buy the cartri dges for my ( blu ) Gonna try to quit smoking. Better yet, I'm gonna quit smoking! :D
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited April 2013
    rainy day, a one-way ticket headstone
    Occupations overthrown, a whisper through a megaphone
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options
    The Steve Vai , Eric Clapton , type of freaks is what you should embrace. The all conquered addiction.

I'm not naming very many, any one, please help me out.
    I still believe in recovery. It is possible. Some need many tools to get there.

They are not freaks, they just had more to offer people than being an addict.
    And so what, they got Some Grammy's .... and stuff.
  • Options
    donnaruhl wrote:
    I will be sober four years in July. I'm what 12steppers would call a dry drunk.I feel,You know when it's time. No one can tell you. No one can keep you there. You have to want to be there. And tomorrow, I'm going to buy the cartri dges for my ( blu ) Gonna try to quit smoking. Better yet, I'm gonna quit smoking! :D
    according to our literature you could/would be a heavy drinker that found sufficient reason to stop or moderate.
    My dad called himself an alcoholic. He stopped and stayed stopped when I was around 6 or 7. He passed when I was 30. To my knowledge he never attended meetings or worked the steps.

I couldnt go longer than about 3 months. Being at sea or in jail helped greatly , but as soon as I was out or on land........

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    mickeyrat wrote:

I have a question mickey, a really good friend of Mr. RK has problems with the bottle. He used to be a 'happy drunk', and I don't know if he got to 'that point' or what happened, he started to become an angry drunk. His current GF said that he had to quit drinking or she would leave (the last GF did that, and I don't think he ever really got over it). He quit cold turkey, this is the second time.

He has never gone to AA, but last time I talked to his GF, she says she's worried because he keeps saying, "this isn't forever". She said that he has gone out to the bar to socialize with friends from work, and didn't drink, but he has not been out with really close friends to the bar-this part worries her the most.

We sort of have avoided going out to concerts or dinner with them because we are afraid of being a 'trigger' for him. We stopped by their place the other day, and they really keep pushing going out to dinner or something. We did go over to their place for Thanksgiving, but Mr. RK didn't drink. They are great people when they are sober, just when the both of them get drunk together, it's not pretty.

Should we continue to not drink when we go out with them? Or is it okay to have a beer or two? Got any tips or suggestions? thanks.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

I have a question mickey, a really good friend of Mr. RK has problems with the bottle. He used to be a 'happy drunk', and I don't know if he got to 'that point' or what happened, he started to become an angry drunk. His current GF said that he had to quit drinking or she would leave (the last GF did that, and I don't think he ever really got over it). He quit cold turkey, this is the second time.

He has never gone to AA, but last time I talked to his GF, she says she's worried because he keeps saying, "this isn't forever". She said that he has gone out to the bar to socialize with friends from work, and didn't drink, but he has not been out with really close friends to the bar-this part worries her the most.

We sort of have avoided going out to concerts or dinner with them because we are afraid of being a 'trigger' for him. We stopped by their place the other day, and they really keep pushing going out to dinner or something. We did go over to their place for Thanksgiving, but Mr. RK didn't drink. They are great people when they are sober, just when the both of them get drunk together, it's not pretty.

Should we continue to not drink when we go out with them? Or is it okay to have a beer or two? Got any tips or suggestions? thanks.

The bolded part is a recipe for disaster, imo.
    Well the question is are you and Mr RK drinking responsibly? Able to stop when you want to? Have a problem yourselves? No? Then make that decision based on your own wants or needs, not on whether it will affect them. Unless you guys are asses when you drink yourselves!!! :mrgreen: . Sounds to me like this guy is just waiting to go on a raging bender.When he does, stay far far away. It wont be pretty. Without some sort of desire on his part to stay stopped and with help, in my view its only a matter of time before that happens.

Oh and no, this is his first time quitting. So far. he hasnt quit anything if he started again after the first first time!!!

My drinking was my own problem. No one elses.
    Its funny , I was at my nieces wedding and reception a couple years ago. It wasnt until the reception that my brother thought to ask if I'd be ok with the cash bar. Given that I was there for a purpose other than to just hang with people who were drinking there was no issue for me.

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    mickeyrat wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

The bolded part is a recipe for disaster, imo.
    Well the question is are you and Mr RK drinking responsibly? Able to stop when you want to? Have a problem yourselves? No? Then make that decision based on your own wants or needs, not on whether it will affect them. Unless you guys are asses when you drink yourselves!!! :mrgreen: . Sounds to me like this guy is just waiting to go on a raging bender.When he does, stay far far away. It wont be pretty. Without some sort of desire on his part to stay stopped and with help, in my view its only a matter of time before that happens.

Oh and no, this is his first time quitting. So far. he hasnt quit anything if he started again after the first first time!!!

My drinking was my own problem. No one elses.
    Its funny , I was at my nieces wedding and reception a couple years ago. It wasnt until the reception that my brother thought to ask if I'd be ok with the cash bar. Given that I was there for a purpose other than to just hang with people who were drinking there was no issue for me.

thanks mickey. I really was afraid of the 'raging bender' part. :( She is okay when drunk, it's just when he gets to a certain point when he's drunk, and he knows how to push her buttons.

Mr. RK can have a few beers and be fine, I just have to drive home. *sigh* we will go out with them and see how it goes. He's a big boy, and we want to support him, but I will be prepared to run if he decides to have a drink.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Nothing As It Seems
    Don�t feel like home, he�s a little out
    And all these words elope, it�s nothing like your poem
    Putting in, in putting in, don�t feel like methadone
    A scratching voice, all alone, it�s nothing like your baritone
    It�s nothing as it seems, the little that he needs,
    it�s home
    The little that he sees is nothing, he concedes, it�s home

One uninvited chromosome, a blanket like the ozone
    It�s nothing as it seems, all that he needs, it�s home
    The little that he frees, is nothing, he believes

Saving up a sunny day, something maybe two-tone
    Anything to call his own, a chip off the cornerstone
    Who�s kidding, rainy day, a one-way ticket headstone

Love this Song. And Good for you.Watch the tylenol!

I haven't had a pain pill in over 8 years.
  • Options
    donnaruhl wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Nothing As It Seems
    Don�t feel like home, he�s a little out
    And all these words elope, it�s nothing like your poem
    Putting in, in putting in, don�t feel like methadone
    A scratching voice, all alone, it�s nothing like your baritone
    It�s nothing as it seems, the little that he needs,
    it�s home
    The little that he sees is nothing, he concedes, it�s home

One uninvited chromosome, a blanket like the ozone
    It�s nothing as it seems, all that he needs, it�s home
    The little that he frees, is nothing, he believes

Saving up a sunny day, something maybe two-tone
    Anything to call his own, a chip off the cornerstone
    Who�s kidding, rainy day, a one-way ticket headstone

Love this Song. And Good for you.Watch the tylenol!

I haven't had a pain pill in over 8 years.

Ahh! someone gets it. Are you doing well, these days? :)
  • Options
    Ok, so we leave in the a.m. for a conference/retreat up in Canada outside of Windsor. Nice enough place. Older Catholic Retreat house right on Lake Erie. Can see a couple islands way out.

Taking a rental. 7 years ago this would not have been possible. Life is good.

• Options
    Still going strong.
    the whole world will be different soon
    the whole world will be relieved
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    12 steps..
    Step 1 : I admit I need the Advil.

I'm not sure it's a problem just yet...

I'm happy for you all!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Putting in, in putting in, don't feel like methadone
    A scratching voice, all alone, it's nothing like your baritone
    It's nothing as it seems, the little that he needs, it's home
    The little that he sees is nothing, he concedes, it's home
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If only you could see
    The stranger next to me
    You promise you promise that you're done
    But I cant tell you from the drugs

Don't let go
    We'll dig a great big hole
    Down an endless hole
    We'll both go

You're so blind!
    You can't save me this time
    Hope comes from inside
    And I feel so low tonight

If only you could see
    The stranger next to me
    You promise you promise that you're done
    But I can't tell you from the drugs
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    The song that gets me through shit times us Tool's
    Armenia.... Learn to swim motherfuckers... As I fuck
    up.. Agh such is a day in the life of me.. Two years GONE!!
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    So... I wi fuck up a second time and have a cigarette
    Too.,, fuck it. HELP!
  • Options
    7 years today.

Man where does the time go??

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    7 years today.

Man where does the time go??
    good work man. great work
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    No ones ever stayed sober longer than 24 hours..
    Trust me..
    Lots of folks with double digit sobriety picking up.

There's a guy I got sober with..
    We nicknamed him St. George because he sponsored so many people,
    Never could admit vulnerability or doubts cause he was sooo sober ...
    Mr. AA , follow me ! I've got the answer..
    See how much serenity I have?

Well Mr. Serenity didnt pick up but at age 47 he suffered a massive stroke
    Which doctors told him was from stress..
    He's paralyzed on his entire left side now.

I love the man dearly and am praying he makes a complete recovery but you gotta run an honest program.
    That doesn't neccesarily mean just not picking up..
    But don't pretend to be more than you are..
    We are not saints and he almost died trying to pretend to be one.
    I was one of the few people behind the scenes who knew he was a maniac and deeply troubled after
    His "followers" left for the night..

It's an inside job today
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    No ones ever stayed sober longer than 24 hours..
    Trust me..
    Lots of folks with double digit sobriety picking up.

There's a guy I got sober with..
    We nicknamed him St. George because he sponsored so many people,
    Never could admit vulnerability or doubts cause he was sooo sober ...
    Mr. AA , follow me ! I've got the answer..
    See how much serenity I have?

Well Mr. Serenity didn't pick up but at age 47 he suffered a massive stroke
    Which doctors told him was from stress..
    He's paralyzed on his entire left side now.

I love the man dearly and am praying he makes a complete recovery but you gotta run an honest program.
    That doesn't necessarily mean just not picking up..
    But don't pretend to be more than you are..
    We are not saints and he almost died trying to pretend to be one.
    I was one of the few people behind the scenes who knew he was a maniac and deeply troubled after
    His "followers" left for the night..

It's an inside job today

My Uncle is sober. He can't pretend. He gets violently sick if he wears after shave.
    I'm not in a program but if you need to talk to some one and you haven't already been drinking tonight. Pm me.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm thinking of quitting drinking. Waste of money, time, and health.

Wish me luck.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Good luck!

If it doesn't work , we'll give you back twice your misery..
    No questions asked!

;)

Try a meeting?
    Then try another one..
    What have you got to lose brother?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    Good luck!

If it doesn't work , we'll give you back twice your misery..
    No questions asked!

;)

Try a meeting?
    Then try another one..
    What have you got to lose brother?
    PLUS INTEREST!!!!!! :mrgreen:

• Options
    This is a bit early but June 10th 1935 an Akron Surgeon had a beer or two to steady his nerves as he had a procedure to preform that morning. The surgery went well, I understand the patient recovered. After this , the surgeon went around town offering amends for harms done while the surgeon was actively drinking alcoholically.

That date is now considered the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous and since has changed the lives of countless hopeless and helpless individuals worldwide. It is helping people in over 180 countries based on the principle that one alcoholic can help another alcoholic and both can stay sober one day at a time.

Thanks to those that came before and made this possible for me. I will do my part to ensure it continues.