Options

PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Alrighty then. Here I find myself with some time to post here.Am in the truck at a truck stop with some time to kill before heading to my next pick up.

Friday was my first day solo. After meeting with my "dispatcher" and finding out whats expected of me , I got the keys to my temp truck. Waited for a load assignment. As I waited fear and doubt set in. "What am I doing? I'm not cut out for this!!" Quick little prayer to HP cured that right quick.

Now I'm starting day 5 and much more relaxed about what my job is. Let me tell you, its far more than just holding a steering wheel. I haven't even begun to learn about it. I know just enough to deliver the freight.

Thus far , I've not had a radio/cb or any type of mind distraction. Just cant afford it yet. BUT , I'm finding a quiet peaceful mind. You know how we can get when we have time on our hands.

Hi Mickey, Great to hear that you made it through that first day and are on the road. Thinking of you out there. :)
    Well, I'm off for the next trip.

IF ANY of you that stop by want to PM me, whether you want to quit drinking or not, it would be most welcome.

Peace from the road.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,852
    mickeyrat wrote:
    A safe, sober Happy New Year to my fellows!!!!

Here I sit in a Best Western hotel in the middle of road training for my new career as Professional Truck Driver. Realizing a lifelong desire to drive for a living. This would not have been possible WITHOUT Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12 steps in my life. I have seen a sober new year since 2006. Each one better than the last. This one is a little bit more special, but bittersweet as I'll not be with the woman I love for the anniversary of our first kiss.

Anyhoo, be safe and watch out fopr all the amateurs out there tonight!!! :mrgreen:

that's awesome you got ahold of yourself before you got dwi convictions... at least you can still drive a truck. all i can do is wait on truckers which is exactly what I do. lol.
    No I didnt "get ahold of myself" Have one on my record. Funny thing though, once you stop drinking and driving , you usually stop getting DWI's.
    Do you work in S/R?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Hi All,

So, my membership is gonna expire as day now and, unless I have a late minute change of heart, I'll be saying goodbye to you all for the time being at least.

I know it has been quiet on this thread for a while but I can tell you that it has a place in my heart that is all of its own, as without reading this thread I'd not be 2.5 years sober now and I don't feel like I'd have got to the rooms without it. I just wanna say thanks for that and wish you all much love.

T
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    wow. 2 months since I have posted in here.

well, trucking is going well enough, although I am looking at other companies that do different hauling. pays better and the pay hourly wages for working not driving aspects of this job. Current company only pays for driving. Heres hoping i get a phone call.

I am at present 11 days from having 6 years sobriety. It appears like I will be on the road when my sobriety date comes up. Which ,I suppose, is fitting since without AA and the steps , I seriously doubt I would be doing what I am for a living right now.

GF is doing as well as she can with me being gone. even going as far as suggesting I stay out another day or two so I can make better miles. I dont know if that will work, I've been working real close to my allowed 70 hrs in a 7 day period anyway.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mickeyrat wrote:
    wow. 2 months since I have posted in here.

well, trucking is going well enough, although I am looking at other companies that do different hauling. pays better and the pay hourly wages for working not driving aspects of this job. Current company only pays for driving. Heres hoping i get a phone call.

I am at present 11 days from having 6 years sobriety. It appears like I will be on the road when my sobriety date comes up. Which ,I suppose, is fitting since without AA and the steps , I seriously doubt I would be doing what I am for a living right now.

GF is doing as well as she can with me being gone. even going as far as suggesting I stay out another day or two so I can make better miles. I dont know if that will work, I've been working real close to my allowed 70 hrs in a 7 day period anyway.

Congrats on the 6 years bud! 8-) :thumbup: :clap: I hope you get the call! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    sober continuesly for 6 years today. As fate would have it, the load i have brought me back home as it doesnt deliver til 11 this morning. truck FULL of empty Mountain Dew cans.

• Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    mickeyrat wrote:
    sober continuesly for 6 years today. As fate would have it, the load i have brought me back home as it doesnt deliver til 11 this morning. truck FULL of empty Mountain Dew cans.
    congrats!
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    mickeyrat wrote:

That's awesome. Quite the Achievement!!!! Congratulations :clap:
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    Congratulations on your sobriety, it is a wonderful achievement.
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    mickeyrat wrote:

Congratulations!! That's awesome.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    bumping this thread..

would love to hear from folks new to sobriety..

or thinking about a sober life..

I caught Ed's presents in 2006 and 2008 JUST because I got sober and "had enough"..
    normally I would be in the prking lot or bar drinking up until show time..
    missed all of Ed's surpise pre-sets before 10/1/2005 (the day I had enough)

Do I believe in a higher power?

5/24/2006 Ed plays "Porch" acoustic to about 250 people in a 3/4 empty Boston Garden and then stays on to sing
    "It makes no difference" (by THE BAND) with My Morning Jacket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYXi6MTw ... el&list=UL

6/28/08 ***ONLY pre-set of entire 2008 US Tour.. Ed comes out in Mansfield. Ma, feigns throat trouble and then proceeds to belt out "Throw Your Arms Around Me" to stunned crowd at Great Woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1m-GBKFqZ4

6/30/08 Front row in front of Mikey (Thanks 10C and Kap) .. Our Fellow Sober brother signs his setlist and hands it to me!!!!

Higher power indeed!

Sober is better
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Bumping to page one..

Had enough??
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    page one..
    anyone?

Heard a good one today..

Break down the word GROUP.. and you have :D

Gro(w) Up!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    I'm really glad to see this thread still kicking around. In the time since I last posted on this thread I went out again and have since been sober again for about 9 months. You hear it said in the rooms and at treatment facilities, but I will gladly testify, there is nothing good out there waiting for anybody. That is, drugs and drinking are still offering the same fucked up shit with the same rotten consequences. So, I just wanted to say to everyone, keep doing the next right thing and stay strong. There is a better way.
    Peace.
  • Options
    I'm really glad to see this thread still kicking around. In the time since I last posted on this thread I went out again and have since been sober again for about 9 months. You hear it said in the rooms and at treatment facilities, but I will gladly testify, there is nothing good out there waiting for anybody. That is, drugs and drinking are still offering the same fucked up shit with the same rotten consequences. So, I just wanted to say to everyone, keep doing the next right thing and stay strong. There is a better way.
    Peace.
    Good to see you back. Curious though. Is there anything different this time around?

• Options
    It's funny. Every time I think to hunt this thread down because I haven't seen it in a while, it's on the first page the next time I look.

It's nice to see some activity again.

Welcome back. A genuine 'thank you' for the reminder. As often as we hear about how such experiences turn out for others, my mind will still try to imagine a different outcome for me.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    haven't gone to a meeting in forever. back to the same old crap. weening right now. probably should go tomorrow
  • Options
    new summer plan. use money saved from not drinking to go to deluna for my first ever sober pj show.

i almost could count columbia as sober pj because they ran out of plastic cups after kings of leon and i was still waiting in line when i heard can't keep start so i bolted....but technically i had a few beers that day. and possibly a weed cookie
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    i should be :oops:
  • Options
    went to my first meeting in 2 years yesterday. felt weird probably cause of anxiety. cold turkey sucks. it was a speaker meeting. really related to the guy. calmed me down a bit. guess thats the point
  • Options
    megatron wrote:
    new summer plan. use money saved from not drinking to go to deluna for my first ever sober pj show.

I like this idea.
  • Options
    well, THIS was a day to remember.

First, its been a year as a former smoker.
    Second, I paid off my car today. It was the first time I had gotten a loan for something. I got it on my own with no cosigner. Things looked a little dicey all the way around back in the summer of 09 when the seperation and subsequent divorce happened.
    But I kept moving forward. One day At A Time. And here I am. In a great relationship. In a profession I've always wanted to be in. The best part though is , I AM SOBER.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    well, THIS was a day to remember.

First, its been a year as a former smoker.
    Second, I paid off my car today. It was the first time I had gotten a loan for something. I got it on my own with no cosigner. Things looked a little dicey all the way around back in the summer of 09 when the seperation and subsequent divorce happened.
    But I kept moving forward. One day At A Time. And here I am. In a great relationship. In a profession I've always wanted to be in. The best part though is , I AM SOBER.

Wow, congratulations on the YEAR as a former smoker and paying off the car!!

Looks like the promises have been coming true for you :D
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    wow.. I was looking to find this thread and it's RIGHT here!! SO.... today is ONE WHOLE YEAR SOBER FROM DRINKING!!! SOOOOOO happy that I made it!!! in five days will be one year not smoking POT or cigs.. But I had no problem leaving those things behind.. it's the alcohol I miss.. don't know why.. but any how a whole year!! So happy I made it!! I have spent the money I saved by not drinking to go to school.. which is going good!! Yay.. still so ecstatic about making it a year clean!!
  • Options
    way too long since I posted or anyone has posted in here.

Find myself at a year as a truck driver. Better odds of getting a better job with 2 years exp, but some will take 1 yr. Hoping to find something that pays better with more of a day schedule. Nights arent THAT bad but kinda wrecks home life somewhat esp since the GF is currently working 3-11 pm. Shes looking to switch to days.

Kinda nice have "normal" problems rather than the selfimposed chaos of my previous way of living!!

• Options
    wow.. I was looking to find this thread and it's RIGHT here!! SO.... today is ONE WHOLE YEAR SOBER FROM DRINKING!!! SOOOOOO happy that I made it!!! in five days will be one year not smoking POT or cigs.. But I had no problem leaving those things behind.. it's the alcohol I miss.. don't know why.. but any how a whole year!! So happy I made it!! I have spent the money I saved by not drinking to go to school.. which is going good!! Yay.. still so ecstatic about making it a year clean!!

serious congratulations here. not only did you quit, you did something good and productive with it too. that deserves a big :clap:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Bumping this thread because it's truly a great one.
    Personally I got sober in 2006, after MANY years of abusing every substance I could find. I stayed clean until the fall of 2009 and then proceeded to relapse on and off for two years. It fucking sucked. I try to be grateful and think to myself that it gave me a new outlook on my recovery and such, but it's tough.
    I celebrated a new year of sobriety as of September of last year and for that I am sooooo grateful.
    And as of this month, it's been a year with NO cigs!!!

Keep coming back y'all. No matter how and no matter what it takes.
    Peace.
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Bumping this thread because it's truly a great one.
    Personally I got sober in 2006, after MANY years of abusing every substance I could find. I stayed clean until the fall of 2009 and then proceeded to relapse on and off for two years. It fucking sucked. I try to be grateful and think to myself that it gave me a new outlook on my recovery and such, but it's tough.
    I celebrated a new year of sobriety as of September of last year and for that I am sooooo grateful.
    And as of this month, it's been a year with NO cigs!!!

Keep coming back y'all. No matter how and no matter what it takes.
    Peace.
    I think when you become sick and tired of being sick and tired, You're done!
    The worst part about being sobber is that the shit is still the same.You're just more clear headed with the decisions you make.And yes there'll always be your stinking thinking.But you're able to recognize it.I'm proud of you for quiting smoking also :D
  • Options
    So, I dont know if you guys watch Enlightened on HBO, but its a tv show with Laura Dern and she goes to this 12 step program, thats also just recovery in general. Its more a holistic recovery program in general. Anyways, I deeply respect the 12 step process, and im straight edge so Ive never been to 12 step, but ive used the program format in my life, and in my creativity and found it helpful. the whole "let go and let god" approach, the "one day at a time". "easy does it, but you have to do it (art)". Or I use it to console myself, I didnt do my art today, but every day is a new chance, so maybe tomorrow etc...

But, I had a question, the holistic program talked about on Enlightened, called Open Air, is there a real program like that?

I guess, essentially what Im saying is, I'd benefit and would love to explore the issues one would explore in 12 step or rehab, but Im not an alcoholic, or drug user, or any of that. I see 12 step as work on onesself, and i view that, and think the 12 step would agree, that this is the most important element in the process.

Are there 12 step programs more holistically focused? Can someone who isnt an alcoholic or drug user or addict attend meetings? Are their any programs more set up for what Im discussing, which is I guess, all the stuff you'd discuss at AlAnon or NarcAnon, but without the drug or alcohol aspect to it. Just maybe dissatisfaction with ones life, confusion in life, trying to sort out one's place in the world?
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Have you sat in on any meetings? That might not be the way for you. But I'm sure if you search the web, you might find Self Help Classes. Then just call and inquire within,and someone will point you in the right direction. :D Good Luck!