The Golf Thread

Comments

• Wow!!!! Gotta love Phil. That was great drama. Kudos to Bubba. Golf is back baby!!!!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Ok so I finally finished watching the last round of the Farmers, had a feeling Watson would win it, but you never know with Phil. I'm impressed with Vegas so far, we'll see how he plays throughout the season. Having grown up in Horry County, SC, I'm hoping Dustin Johnson will do great things this year. But my favorite of all time is Sergio Garcia. Hopefully this is his year to put it all together. After watching him on TV for years, and how he treated me and my ex-girlfriend at the Booze Allen in '05, I'm totally faithful.

Anybody going to the US Open this year? I'm on the Thru-Board committee so I'll be volunteering everyday. Can not wait!!!
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Ok so I finally finished watching the last round of the Farmers, had a feeling Watson would win it, but you never know with Phil. I'm impressed with Vegas so far, we'll see how he plays throughout the season. Having grown up in Horry County, SC, I'm hoping Dustin Johnson will do great things this year. But my favorite of all time is Sergio Garcia. Hopefully this is his year to put it all together. After watching him on TV for years, and how he treated me and my ex-girlfriend at the Booze Allen in '05, I'm totally faithful.

Anybody going to the US Open this year? I'm on the Thru-Board committee so I'll be volunteering everyday. Can not wait!!!

What did Sergio do to you and the ex?
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I've always wanted to play golf but haven't. I'm hoping this is the spring/summer I do learn and play.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • BLACK35 wrote:
    Ok so I finally finished watching the last round of the Farmers, had a feeling Watson would win it, but you never know with Phil. I'm impressed with Vegas so far, we'll see how he plays throughout the season. Having grown up in Horry County, SC, I'm hoping Dustin Johnson will do great things this year. But my favorite of all time is Sergio Garcia. Hopefully this is his year to put it all together. After watching him on TV for years, and how he treated me and my ex-girlfriend at the Booze Allen in '05, I'm totally faithful.

What did Sergio do to you and the ex?

We went to the practice round of the '05 Booze Allen Classic at Congressional Country Club specifically to watch Sergio. It was real early, so not many people were there. We followed him thru the first 8 holes, and he noticed us. Walking up to the 18th (started on 10), he yelled over "hey guys!" and he had a golf ball in his hand. From about 20 yards he threw it over to me. It hit the cart path and made a wicked bounce, neither of us were expecting it. I'm trying to stop this golf ball and Sergio and his caddy are laughing their asses off. After he made the turn, we approached him off the next three greens. We chatted for a little bit, got autographs, and even a great picture of Sergio and my ex with their arms around each other. lol
    Then we went back for the Saturday round. Sergio was near the lead so we got there right as he teed off on the 1st hole. Many times we noticed him and his caddy smiling at us as we followed him. On the 9th hole, a nasty par 5, we heard Sergio yelling, "hey guys how are you?" We turn around to look and he's looking right at us and smiling. He came over to us, we told him we knew he was going to win. I was in a bit of a daze but the last thing I remember him saying was "well hopefully I'll give you something to cheer about," yeah he went on to win the tournament. The rest of the day we actually walked with his dad, and older brother. Overall it was a great experience, and I have the golf ball he gave me in one of those glass cubes, safe and sound! I'll always be a Sergio fan!

This year the US Open is at Congressional. No doubt he'll be there, and since he's won there before, he should be a favorite. I'm on the thru-board committee so I'll be there! PTO already approved for Thursday and Friday!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    i'm getting back at it this year. been saying this for years, but this is the year. i do it.

made some strides last year hitting some balls to the dog in the backyard :lol: ....that eventually led to a few trips to the driving range where i hit the ball a lot better than i thought i would.

what killed golf to me was actually partly me not being able to handle my dad's criticism well. that's tough to admit. but whenever we would go out back in the day his criticism of my swing and stuff just got me in the foulest of moods to the point where i didn't want to finish the course. in hindsight, i should have taken his advice and not been so stubborn. he obviously knew more about the game than i did. but it's always left a bad taste in my mouth. i love watching golf on tv though. spring can't get here soon enough.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    just got back last week from 5 days in phoenix area ... played some decent courses ... my short game was horrendous ... like 6-10 strokes bad ... horrible ... still ... golfing in the middle of winter is nice ...
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Masters Countdown: 4 weeks away!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    norm wrote:

Is it a Tiger year in 2011, norm? Whaddya think? Does he regain the crown at Augusta in April and ride it to another POY award? Or are we looking at one of these young guns stealing a jacket?
    norm wrote:

Is it a Tiger year in 2011, norm? Whaddya think? Does he regain the crown at Augusta in April and ride it to another POY award? Or are we looking at one of these young guns stealing a jacket?

i haven't seen much of tiger this year but from what i've read and heard his swing is a mess...he might make a good of it but come sunday he may have to will his way to win

i'd lay odds on phil repeating...he has just that place figured out and loves playing there...great thing about the masters is anyone has a shot except for the young first timers...they'd have to play out of their minds to win
    norm wrote:
    i'd lay odds on phil repeating...he has just that place figured out and loves playing there...great thing about the masters is anyone has a shot except for the young first timers...they'd have to play out of their minds to win
    Very true on all counts. Love Phil. However, there is that tier of guys like Dustin Johnson, Hunter Mahan and Nick Watney (who's playing great right now), etc. that I could absolutely see joining the ranks of Zach Johnson and Trevor Immelman in outlasting the field on Sunday.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Is it a Tiger year in 2011, norm? Whaddya think? Does he regain the crown at Augusta in April and ride it to another POY award?
    POS is the only award tiger's in the running for :shifty:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Is it a Tiger year in 2011, norm? Whaddya think? Does he regain the crown at Augusta in April and ride it to another POY award?
    POS is the only award tiger's in the running for :shifty:
    Well played, Michael Phelps. I do think Tiger pulls it together in 2011. That being said, I'm done rooting for him. Those days are over.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Supposed to be in the 60s later this week. Thinking of hitting up the driving range after doing some training with my old high school baseball team.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Final tune-up before Augusta this week in Houston. The madness begins one week from today with the par3 contest. Anybody else ready for a little Masters magic?
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Final tune-up before Augusta this week in Houston. The madness begins one week from today with the par3 contest. Anybody else ready for a little Masters magic?
    Most definitely!! The wife is already scowling because she'll lose the TV for 4 days. :lol:
    Not sure who I'd put money on but I'd love it if Westwood won.

last night the golf channel showed the highlights from last year...i think i drooled a little :oops: :mrgreen:
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438

I can't wait, I love the Masters. The only problem I have at the moment is deciding who to pick in my pool.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    MASTERS WEEK!!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!
    A tradition just like every other. The Masters.
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    has the Tiger Woods game been mentioned with Augusta on, just playing the masters now and those greens are INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every other tourny so far i have won or tied second, now i cant even get under par!!! whoever wins really does deserve it is all i can say
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
    has the Tiger Woods game been mentioned with Augusta on, just playing the masters now and those greens are INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every other tourny so far i have won or tied second, now i cant even get under par!!! whoever wins really does deserve it is all i can say
    They should make the winner play the game afterward and only let him keep the green jacket if he scores the same on the video game.

I gotta get to my buddy's house this weekend and play that. It sounds awesome.
    They should make the winner play the game afterward and only let him keep the green jacket if he scores the same on the video game.

I gotta get to my buddy's house this weekend and play that. It sounds awesome.

haha indeed they should!!!! it looks stunning but the greens play like a bitch, one messed up hole and your masters dream is over for another year!!!
    stuart appleby was tweeting pics from his practice today...man i wish i could be there :(

https://twitter.com/#!/StuartAppleby
    norm wrote:
    stuart appleby was tweeting pics from his practice today...man i wish i could be there :(

i like his latest post!

StuartAppleby
    .No more pics, as I'm pushing tweeting when phones are a no no on site. Big brother is probably watching. Sorry, but Augusta conditions.

haha surely he can get fined for this now!
    yeah he won't get fined but i'm sure he'll get a talking to...if the old geezers in charge even know what twitter is :lol:
    norm wrote:

This one's my favorite norm. http://yfrog.com/h4xi7gj
    I just LOVE stuff like this. Imagine just flipping through one of these from a tour player? They all probably have one of these for each and every course they play.
    norm wrote:
    yeah he won't get fined but i'm sure he'll get a talking to...if the old geezers in charge even know what twitter is :lol:

they will still probably all be too concerned that women are allowed on the course or in the clubhouse to care!
    norm wrote:

This one's my favorite norm. http://yfrog.com/h4xi7gj
    I just LOVE stuff like this. Imagine just flipping through one of these from a tour player? They all probably have one of these for each and every course they play.

oh yeah they do...but even then, the caddies go out and look at each hole anyway...back in 09 on sunday, i was walking by the 14th green and Fanny Sunesson was walking the course and making notes for henrik stensen...a caddies job is never done :)