Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    doing a pool at work. we each just pick 8 golfers. total combined money winnings wins it. here's who i have:

Phil Mickelson
    Tiger Woods
    Lee Westwood
    Nick Watney
    Martin Kaymer
    Dustin Johnson
    Rory McIroy
    Padraig Harrington

love masters weekend. watching the final round with my dad on sunday is always a good time.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    entered into a pool ... there are already 364 entries ... and 60% picked phil in the favourites category ... i picked graeme mcdowell ...
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Rory McIlroy in the clubhouse with 65...i doubt he'll make it through sunday :lol:
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    doing a pool at work. we each just pick 8 golfers. total combined money winnings wins it. here's who i have:

Phil Mickelson
    Tiger Woods
    Lee Westwood
    Nick Watney
    Martin Kaymer
    Dustin Johnson
    Rory McIroy
    Padraig Harrington

love masters weekend. watching the final round with my dad on sunday is always a good time.

Your picks are amazing. Can't believe nobody took those by the time you got to the later picks. Is that the order you picked them?
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:

Phil Mickelson
    Tiger Woods
    Lee Westwood
    Nick Watney
    Martin Kaymer
    Dustin Johnson
    Rory McIroy
    Padraig Harrington

Your picks are amazing. Can't believe nobody took those by the time you got to the later picks. Is that the order you picked them?

i'm pretty sure it was an open draft where you anyone could pick any golfer ...

in any case ... kaymer is in at +6 and Harrington is +5 ...
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Crazy day at work and didn't catch much of today's action. From what I understand, tiger had good moments and bad, the kids were awesome as were the Koreans and mickelson was all over the place off the tee. How impressive was rorys round? That kid is going to be good.
  • Options
    the replay is on espn right now cliff
  • Options
    norm wrote:

I watched some of it earlier, I just have a tough time watching replays. Think I may turn it back on though. Thanks though.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I watched some of it earlier, I just have a tough time watching replays. Think I may turn it back on though. Thanks though.

i'm with ya on replays but the masters is one i can watch anytime :D
  • Options
    btw if you turn it on now, you can watch phil try to save par (and almost birdie) 13 after hooking his drive WAY left

edit: well they edited it...but he was way in the woods and had to punch out
  • Options
    Yeah I am back watching it, bad decision not to the whole time.

Good to see a good round out of Freddy. True story, at one point in my life i was a distant relative of his. His ex wife who committed suicide was some sort of cousin of my mom. I met him a couple times during the bc open but thats about it.
  • Options
    And I have an irrational dislike of Phil. Dude remInds me of shooter mcgavin to a t.
  • Options
    This is one of my favorite sports journalism pieces i have read in a long time.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/01/31/t ... back-time/
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And I have an irrational dislike of Phil. Dude remInds me of shooter mcgavin to a t.

Hopefully Sunday will come down to Phil "Shooter" Michelson vs Rory Mcllroy then. A girl in our office yesterday asked me & another coworker if the movie Tin Cup was based on Mcllroy :lol: We had a chuckle. Its nice being the boss as we have a tv in the office, in order for us to be able to watch all big sporting events like the Masters, British Open, World Junior Hockey, man we are spoiled.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's a great article. Everybody is waiting for the magic to come back, maybe it never will. Sad to think.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    eddiec wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's a great article. Everybody is waiting for the magic to come back, maybe it never will. Sad to think.
    I agree, a great article even though I didn't know most of the characters in the first part. When your time is up it's up. It'll be sad if Tiger is remembered for his shagging rather than his golf.

There seem to be a few comments here re McElroy. I wouldn't write this guy off as he seems to get better each year and is very young. We shall see.
  • Options
    i have the opposite feeling than most when it comes to retirement ... for me - it's all about the reason for playing ...

if an athlete plays a game because of his/her pure joy and passion for it - i say play until you can't play no more ... if you're doing it for the adulation and the fame - then the sport will let you know when it's time to go ... but the idea that you need to go out on top is based strictly on some desire of fans to not want to see their beloved athlete in anything less than prime ... to me, that's ridiculous ... if they have a true love and pasion for the game and they aren't hurting themselves health wise ... keep playing ...
  • Options
    phil had 3 birdies and 3 bogeys on the front 9 :shock: :lol:
  • Options
    tiger with a 66...3 back

jason day with a 64 today :shock:

tomorrow is moving day...greatest weekend of the year! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I finally had a chance this evening to catch up on the tourney. Tiger's gonna win this thing. Rory won't hold and same for Jason Day. KJ Choi is more proven and certainly has a chance, but this is Tiger's weekend. Amazing considering where his game was just a few weeks ago.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    I would absolutely love to see tiger win it but he has yet to put 4 rounds together. I think he is getting close and would love for it to happen, I just don't know.
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    What if the little leprechaun won Cliffy? I'm tired of hearing about who'll emerge as the new dominant young player in the game. If it's Rory, let's see it now.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    I like rory, always have. He's a kid and has great game. I think he is going to be number 1 in the world for a long time. He's only 21, there are not many players like him and tiger who have that game at 21. Would like to see him win, but not this weekend.
  • Options
    I also didn't see tigers 18, hear his second shot there was impressive. Was away from the tv for tigers 17 and 18
  • Options
    If Tiger can hold it together today he has a chance. He's still a bit erratic, could shoot 65 or 75.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I also didn't see tigers 18, hear his second shot there was impressive. Was away from the tv for tigers 17 and 18

Tiger stuck it on 18 for a 12 footer and drained it. I for one hope he can win the Masters. I just want to see him win again. Although I have Phil in the pool. Lets just say it would be nice if Phil and Tiger are challenging each other on Sunday like they did about 3-4 yrs ago where they were about the only 2 guys under par for the Sunday and nobody else was making any moves. I just remember watching and it was awesome.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    sunday at the masters!! my favorite day! :mrgreen:

who thinks tiger pulls a jack from 25 years ago and shoots a 65 and watches the leader crumble...that'd be awesome!
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    norm wrote:
    sunday at the masters!! my favorite day! :mrgreen:

who thinks tiger pulls a jack from 25 years ago and shoots a 65 and watches the leader crumble...that'd be awesome!
    That would be awesome!

I think McIlroy will hold on though.

Really hope that there is some kind of close finish to make it interesting.

Watch out for Cabrerra.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horrible start for Rory. Tiger could be 3 back in a couple minutes.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    Mr. Mcilroy.......

Welcome to Sunday at the Masters........

hehehehe

GO TIGER!!!!!!!

And it wont be long before Cabrera starts puffing on a Marlboro......

Cabrera was my pick to win...But I would LOVE to see Tiger make a CHARGE!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....