*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    they drafted iguodala to play the 2...that didn't work. It's still a lot easier to find a 2 guard than an effective big guy.

I don't really have a preference...I'd be fine with turner or favors. I understand the reasoning behind taking either guy. keep in mind that dalembert is a FA after this coming season. Speights isn't an NBA starter, so they're gonna need a center for the 2011 season. chances are they won't be picking in the top 5 again next year...a lot easier to draft a 2 guard in the middle of round 1 than it is to find an effective PF/C.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of favors with the 2 pick

this draft is deepest in the F/C position ...

what's your point? the sixers only have the 2nd overall pick. I'm saying next year I expect them to be picking in the 10-15 range in round 1. much easier to find a 2 guard there than it will be to find an effective big guy.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    what's your point? the sixers only have the 2nd overall pick. I'm saying next year I expect them to be picking in the 10-15 range in round 1. much easier to find a 2 guard there than it will be to find an effective big guy.

i just sort of read your discussion with jeagler ... my comment to you was in response to whether you are going to find a big in the second round and simply that this draft has a bunch of bigs relative to other drafts ...

i don't really buy into the there are more effective 2's than effective bigs out there ... ultimately, it's about finding the pieces to make the best possible team ... assuming you can't trade brand or iggy - i would draft turner and play iggy at the 3 and run the shit out of everyone on the court ... having said that - i haven't seen Favours play but at 18 - he's gonna be pretty raw ... i think this team can win next year easily ... and someone more seasoned and can contribute right away would be a better fit i think ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i just sort of read your discussion with jeagler ... my comment to you was in response to whether you are going to find a big in the second round and simply that this draft has a bunch of bigs relative to other drafts ...

i don't really buy into the there are more effective 2's than effective bigs out there ... ultimately, it's about finding the pieces to make the best possible team ... assuming you can't trade brand or iggy - i would draft turner and play iggy at the 3 and run the shit out of everyone on the court ... having said that - i haven't seen Favours play but at 18 - he's gonna be pretty raw ... i think this team can win next year easily ... and someone more seasoned and can contribute right away would be a better fit i think ...

the sixers don't have a 2nd round pick this year. they are sitting at 2 overall and they're done for the night (barring a trade).

I totally disagree about putting iguodala at the 3 (which is his natural position). I think thaddeus young is a better player than iguodala right now. thad needs to play, iguodala needs to get traded.

They might go into the year as a fringe playoff team. As a fan, I think that is the worst possible place to be in. I'd rather have them blow everything up, keep holiday, thad, and speights...and rebuild around those 3 and turner/favors. Just like the eagles with the mcnabb trade, I'd rather see the team take a step back to take 2 or 3 forward down the road.

brand, dalembert, iguodala...trade all of them (brand, iggy are gonna be tough to move because of their salaries). bring young guys in and let them grow together.

they take favors this year, then they have a PG and PF/C. Those are the two toughest positions to fill. Thad at the 3 and speights coming off the bench. Add pieces via trade and future draft picks. at least this puts the team headed in the right direction.
    The Fixer wrote:
    the sixers don't have a 2nd round pick this year. they are sitting at 2 overall and they're done for the night (barring a trade).

I totally disagree about putting iguodala at the 3 (which is his natural position). I think thaddeus young is a better player than iguodala right now. thad needs to play, iguodala needs to get traded.

They might go into the year as a fringe playoff team. As a fan, I think that is the worst possible place to be in. I'd rather have them blow everything up, keep holiday, thad, and speights...and rebuild around those 3 and turner/favors. Just like the eagles with the mcnabb trade, I'd rather see the team take a step back to take 2 or 3 forward down the road.

brand, dalembert, iguodala...trade all of them (brand, iggy are gonna be tough to move because of their salaries). bring young guys in and let them grow together.

they take favors this year, then they have a PG and PF/C. Those are the two toughest positions to fill. Thad at the 3 and speights coming off the bench. Add pieces via trade and future draft picks. at least this puts the team headed in the right direction.

i don't disagree with your philosophy ... it depends on how you evaluate your talent ... iggy should be playing the 3 and i'm going with the assumption that either you can't trade him or get good value for trading him (same with brand) ... iggy is a great player in the right system ... he tried to do too much this year but at the end of the day - you aren't too many 3's that can board, pass, defend and run the floor like he can ... sure, his jumpshot is suspect and he misses way too many FT's for my liking ... he's just not a goto guy but he can be a great piece to a puzzle ...

thad is another guy who can run the floor but he's nowhere near as versatile as iggy ...

you can get by in this league weak at the 1 and 5 ... just look at the teams remaining in the playoffs ... lakers don't have a true 1 ... suns don't really have a great 5 (although lopez is looking better by the day) ... boston has like 4 bigs that rotate positions ... ultimatelyk, it's putting together the right pieces and everyone knowing their role and playing as a team ... i like the experience and polish of turner for the nba game who i think can make an impact right away with your serviceable bigs you got now (brand, dalembert, speights) ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

iggy is a great player in the right system ... he's just not a goto guy but he can be a great piece to a puzzle ...

thad is another guy who can run the floor but he's nowhere near as versatile as iggy ...

you can get by in this league weak at the 1 and 5 ... just look at the teams remaining in the playoffs ... lakers don't have a true 1 ... suns don't really have a great 5 (although lopez is looking better by the day) ... boston has like 4 bigs that rotate positions ... ultimatelyk, it's putting together the right pieces and everyone knowing their role and playing as a team ... i like the experience and polish of turner for the nba game who i think can make an impact right away with your serviceable bigs you got now (brand, dalembert, speights) ...

your first sentence here is right on...that's the problem with iggy as a sixer. he makes the most money on the team and he is their first scoring option. that's not his game. a team will never win with him playing that role. he would be great as a third option.

I disagree that iggy > thad. thad had a bad year last year, but he was hurt and openly admitted he was lost in eddie jordan's dumb ass offense. I think he takes off this year if he's given the 3 from day 1 of training camp.

lakers don't have a true 1, but kobe brings the ball up a lot. and they run that triangle offense, so they really don't need a true point guard. suns don't have a 5, but stoudamire is a hybrid 4/5 (I think he blows, but he can score). boston has garnett, who's past his prime, but still effective at the 4/5.

my point is that teams need a premier player at one of those positions (the 1 or 4/5). Holiday actually reminds me a lot of maurice cheeks. he can score if he needs to, but he is more of a true point guard...he also plays solid on the ball defense like cheeks did. turner isn't going to be a superstar. from what I've read people are comparing him to brandon roy, who is a good player, but not someone that can carry a team for long stretches. turner certainly seems like a safe pick, but favors may offer more upside.

we'll see, it's an interesting debate. I'm sure the sixers will fuck it up somehow
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Here's the problem with Iguadola - he wants to shoot and be the superstar. BIG problem. Has the worst jump shot in the history of the NBA.
    brandon roy is a GREAT player ... he is definitely a GO-TO guy in the nba ... we probably don't get to see much of him on the east coast but every time i watch him play - i wish the raps drafted him ...

in any case - i like young (i drafted dalembert, iggy and young in my fantasy team this year - and i won) but he can't pass like iggy ... getting 5+ dimes from your 3 is huge ... favors might turn out to be a better pick a few years down the line and if my assessment of the team now is waaay off - that might be the better strategy ... but in the eastern conference - you don't need much to compete and i think the sixers are a lot closer than most think ... they need a guy who they can give the ball to in the 4th qtr ... turner looks like the guy to me ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    brandon roy is a GREAT player ... he is definitely a GO-TO guy in the nba ... we probably don't get to see much of him on the east coast but every time i watch him play - i wish the raps drafted him ...

in any case - i like young (i drafted dalembert, iggy and young in my fantasy team this year - and i won) but he can't pass like iggy ... getting 5+ dimes from your 3 is huge ... favors might turn out to be a better pick a few years down the line and if my assessment of the team now is waaay off - that might be the better strategy ... but in the eastern conference - you don't need much to compete and i think the sixers are a lot closer than most think ... they need a guy who they can give the ball to in the 4th qtr ... turner looks like the guy to me ...

fair enough...good points.

I don't want a team that will just compete though...I want a team capable of winning it all.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

this guy is on point.

and if teams are really interested in iggy or dalembert, we'll grab a late round first and snag of those bigs there. BANG. DONE.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    ed stefanski = ed wade

I think dalembert blows, but this trade sucks. fire his ass
    i would have taken a number 2 pencil for dalembert. this is great.

they better not take your boy favors now though...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    i would have taken a number 2 pencil for dalembert. this is great.

they better not take your boy favors now though...

expiring contracts are like gold in the NBA. they got 2 scrubs back for dalembert's expiring deal...nocioni shoots like 20% from the field. he might have a worse jumpshot than iguodala...and he's got 3 years left on his current deal.

hawes is a big, white stiff.

I don't like this deal at all...they could have gotten more for dalembert. or just let his deal run out and had more cap room next year (ie, not take nocioni's contract).

for the record, I don't really care who they take at 2...I understand the argument for favors or turner. I really have no preference.
    The Fixer wrote:
    ed stefanski = ed wade

I don't mind this trade a lil' bit. Thank God he's gone. Wish they could've packaged Iggy in a deal with him, which they had on the table but they wouldn't pull the trigger.

Stefanski's not quite Wade. He's better than Billy King. King gave out a ton of horrible contracts. So far, Stefanski's given out two, with the Brand one not being too irrational in my mind. It was either Smith or Brand, and Smith wasn't going anywhere. I can't fault the guy totally on that move by trying to make a splash. Plus, I think he has really good drafts. That could all change if they don't take Turner.
    The Fixer wrote:
    ed stefanski = ed wade

I don't mind this trade a lil' bit. Thank God he's gone. Wish they could've packaged Iggy in a deal with him, which they had on the table but they wouldn't pull the trigger.

Stefanski's not quite Wade. He's better than Billy King. King gave out a ton of horrible contracts. So far, Stefanski's given out two, with the Brand one not being too irrational in my mind. It was either Smith or Brand, and Smith wasn't going anywhere. I can't fault the guy totally on that move by trying to make a splash. Plus, I think he has really good drafts. That could all change if they don't take Turner.

the willie green contract might be his worst of all. he might be the worst guard in the nba.

I hate the package they got for dalembert (and I'm no fan of dalembert)...they would have been better off keeping him and getting the all-important cap relief after the year. nocioni fucking stinks
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    ed stefanski = ed wade

the willie green contract might be his worst of all. he might be the worst guard in the nba.

I hate the package they got for dalembert (and I'm no fan of dalembert)...they would have been better off keeping him and getting the all-important cap relief after the year. nocioni fucking stinks

I don't care about Nocioni. The point is Hawes knows how to play the center position, and you can rotate him without worry about the amount of money you're paying him. Unlike that dumbass Dalembert.
    interesting deal ... i think the problem with dalembert are two things: 1. he doesn't accept his role and 2. he doesn't pick up motion offences very good ...

dude can be a centre for a championship team if he just rebounded and played defense ... he's got decent hands around the basket and he can make his FT's for a big man ... and he's been relatively durable for a big ...

nocioni is useless without the ball and he's not gonna get the touches he needs in this offence ... hawes wants to shoot 3's ... and he's always getting hurt ... probably another guy who can be solid if he accepted his role ...

all in all ... if philly doesn't think dalembert can pick up the offensive and defensive sets ... probably a good deal although the nocioni contract sucks balls ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    interesting deal ... i think the problem with dalembert are two things: 1. he doesn't accept his role and 2. he doesn't pick up motion offences very good ...

dude can be a centre for a championship team if he just rebounded and played defense ... he's got decent hands around the basket and he can make his FT's for a big man ... and he's been relatively durable for a big ...

nocioni is useless without the ball and he's not gonna get the touches he needs in this offence ... hawes wants to shoot 3's ... and he's always getting hurt ... probably another guy who can be solid if he accepted his role ...

all in all ... if philly doesn't think dalembert can pick up the offensive and defensive sets ... probably a good deal although the nocioni contract sucks balls ...

Again, I'll take anything for Dalembert. Dalembert could be an all start center in the league if he accepted his role. And of course he doesn't.

I don't care about Nocioni. The point is Hawes knows how to play the center position, and you can rotate him without worry about the amount of money you're paying him. Unlike that dumbass Dalembert.

Nocioni stinks...but even worse, he's owed 21 mill over the next 3 years.

Isn't Hawes a face the basket, jumpshooter? I don't think he is a strong presence on the block. and he's a 7'1 white dude, so it will be fun watching him get dunked on nightly.

can't believe I'm saying this, but I think their frontcourt just got worse.

Brand
    Hawes
    Nocioni
    Speights
    Jason Smith

worst frontcourt in the NBA
    polaris_x wrote:

bottom line...dalembert wasn't a piece on the future of this squad. he had an expiring contract this year (worth it's weight in gold)...and they got crap back for him.

I hate the trade. would have been better off keeping him, letting his deal run out, and getting the extra cap space (not taking the horrible nocioni contract).

also, I think hawes deal is up after this year, so I don't think he's a building block either.

this deal reeks of saving money for the upcoming season (they didn't want to pay dalembert).
    Again, I'll take anything for Dalembert. Dalembert could be an all start center in the league if he accepted his role. And of course he doesn't.

ya ... but to take on a bad contract? ... he's not that bad a player ... the sixers had the most success when dalembert played big minutes last year ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    bottom line...dalembert wasn't a piece on the future of this squad. he had an expiring contract this year (worth it's weight in gold)...and they got crap back for him.

I hate the trade. would have been better off keeping him, letting his deal run out, and getting the extra cap space (not taking the horrible nocioni contract).

also, I think hawes deal is up after this year, so I don't think he's a building block either.

this deal reeks of saving money for the upcoming season (they didn't want to pay dalembert).

ya ... i would have definitely kept him and watched how the season played out ... great trade material near the deadline ... the question is hawes ... big men and point guards are two positions that generally require a good deal of seasoning ... so, from what i've seen of him - he's got some decent skills ... he may mature and be a decent C in this league ... assuming he can stay healthy ...
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Clears the space for Derrick Favors...

Evan Turner falls to the Nets...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

ya ... i would have definitely kept him and watched how the season played out ... great trade material near the deadline ... the question is hawes ... big men and point guards are two positions that generally require a good deal of seasoning ... so, from what i've seen of him - he's got some decent skills ... he may mature and be a decent C in this league ... assuming he can stay healthy ...

exactly, his value only increases as the deadline approaches. this was a cash saving move, which doesn't make me happy. they should have done a lot better in a trade for dalembert.

pretty sure hawes is a free agent after the upcoming year. that's great, gives stefanski the chance to overpay him.

stefanski better pull of an iguodala trade to redeem himself
    after letting this set in for a few hours my initial burst of excitement at getting that hump sack off our team has subsided a little bit. i like hawes and hopefully they can resign him after next year. he was hurt last year. but this other guy and his bad contract, eh, not so much a fan. we probably could have gotten more for dalembert. still ecstatic he is gone...but then if this opens the door to them drafting anyone not named evan turner, i will personally blow up the corestates center (FU FU, WACHOVIA, AND WELLS FARGO). my apologies to the flyers. but it will need to be done.

that is all.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    after letting this set in for a few hours my initial burst of excitement at getting that hump sack off our team has subsided a little bit. i like hawes and hopefully they can resign him after next year. he was hurt last year. but this other guy and his bad contract, eh, not so much a fan. we probably could have gotten more for dalembert. still ecstatic he is gone...but then if this opens the door to them drafting anyone not named evan turner, i will personally blow up the corestates center (FU FU, WACHOVIA, AND WELLS FARGO). my apologies to the flyers. but it will need to be done.

that is all.

just make sure stefanski is in the building before you light the fuse.

I'll admit I don't know much about hawes. I like to gamble on college hoops, so I remember him at Washington. I'm reading between the lines, which might not be fair, but here's my analysis.

7'1 and white = slow and uncoordinated
    7'1 and prefers jump shots to posting up = soft
    7'1 and averaged 6 boards a game = slow and soft

I always give guys the benefit of the doubt when they first come to philly. but I'm not expecting this guy to be one of my favorites.

nocioni hustles his ass off and plays tough, but he has limited basketball skill...and an atroicous contract

hopefully this move is the first part of a master plan. because looking at the trade as an independent move doesn't make much sense to me (and I couldn't stand dalembert)

ok, I think I got my point across. promise I'm done
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708

This is what I've been hearing.

Sorry Sixers fans. I know what it's like to pass on the next great player. My team has done it twice. :)
    NERDS!
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Any trade that gets sammy outta here is fine by me.
    Go Birds!!!!

You'd like that wouldn't you? Not happenin, ya bastid.

Besides, you're getting Lebron so don't be so stingey.
    it looks like this trade was more collins than stefanske. collins didn't want sammy infecting the team under his watch and wanted some more toughness. i can understand that. hoping there are more moves coming. if turner is the pick next week, you gotta be happy with where we're headed here gentlemen...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    it looks like this trade was more collins than stefanske. collins didn't want sammy infecting the team under his watch and wanted some more toughness. i can understand that. hoping there are more moves coming. if turner is the pick next week, you gotta be happy with where we're headed here gentlemen...

Yeah, but apparently Stekanski wants Turner and Collins wants Cousins. So we'll see. I don't see how you just don't take Turner.