*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    doug collins it is.

quality coach?...check
    number 2 overall pick and an immediate impact player?....check

now find a team who is dumb enough to take ai2 off our hands, throw young thadeaus into the 3 spot, dump dalembert and his expiring contract somewhere and we got something here folks. we got something. it's a start...but we got something. :thumbup:

I heard you guys are trying to trade the next Brandon Roy(Evan Turner) and Dalembert for a nice veteran free agent.
    NERDS!
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,043
    doug collins it is.

quality coach?...check

now find a team who is dumb enough to take ai2 off our hands, throw young thadeaus into the 3 spot, dump dalembert and his expiring contract somewhere and we got something here folks. we got something. it's a start...but we got something. :thumbup:

Are Dr. J and Moses Malone walking through that door anytime soon...
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    doug collins it is.

quality coach?...check

I heard you guys are trying to trade the next Brandon Roy(Evan Turner) and Dalembert for a nice veteran free agent.

wouldn't surprise me...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    doug collins it is.

quality coach?...check

wouldn't surprise me...

Actually it wasn't Dalembert, it was Brand. They want to clear themselves of that mistake.
    NERDS!

wouldn't surprise me...

Actually it wasn't Dalembert, it was Brand. They want to clear themselves of that mistake.

they're not trading the #2 pick. i thought you were kidding earlier.

i doubt anyone would take brand and his contract. dalembert's only got a year left so he's easier to move.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

i doubt anyone would take brand and his contract. dalembert's only got a year left so he's easier to move.

aren't you supposed to be installing a fence?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

no
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:

no
    well...
    you're no fun this morning...
    whatever happened to the witty & humorous Mr. The Jeagler?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

no
    well...
    you're no fun this morning...
    whatever happened to the witty & humorous Mr. The Jeagler?

you asked me an honest question.

i, henceforth, provided a direct and honest answer. i cannot do much more than that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    doug collins it is.

retreader.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    How the 76ers landed Doug Collins

By Kate Fagan

Inquirer Staff Writer

Although the 76ers' path to relevance remains uphill, there is now a man to follow, a star player to be hopeful of, and a season to anticipate instead of dread.

A week ago, none of that existed.

Ed Stefanski methodically went about finding a coach for the 76ers.

A week ago, there were more than a half-dozen coaching candidates, a seemingly never-ending tunnel of mediocrity, and a general manager whose status was like a jump ball: up in the air.

Now there is Doug Collins as coach; the No. 2 pick in the 2010 NBA draft - a.k.a. Evan Turner - as potential star player, and Ed Stefanski as the decision-maker with a newfound sense of security.

How did this happen?

It started Dec. 13, 2008.

On that Saturday morning, hours before the Sixers defeated the Washington Wizards at the Wachovia Center, Stefanski fired coach Maurice Cheeks. Soon after, Stefanski received a call from Collins' longtime agent, John Langel.

The conversation was simple: I represent Doug, and if at any time you're interested in Doug, you know how to reach me.

A return call never came.

Instead, the phone call went to Eddie Jordan, who then stumbled through a disastrous 27-55 season and (if you're willing to offer a smidge of mercy, as most Sixers fans are this week) delivered the franchise enough Ping-Pong balls to upgrade to the No. 2 pick in last week's draft lottery.

Stefanski, who had unanimous support for Jordan's ill-fated hiring, fired Jordan on April 15, about 14 hours after Jordan coached the season's final game in Orlando, Fla.

Two days later, Stefanski called Langel - it was the first phone call of Stefanski's second coaching search in as many years.

This conversation also was simple: Would Doug still be interested?

Langel phoned his client, relaying Stefanski's question.

Yes, Collins remained interested.

There were really only two teams Collins wanted to coach: the 76ers or the Chicago Bulls. He had played his entire NBA career with the Sixers, and he'd grown up in Illinois. Since 2003, his most recent NBA coaching gig, Collins received more than one coaching offer. And between his jobs with the Detroit Pistons and Washington Wizards, a period spanning three years, Collins had offers as well.

Collins had said "no" in the past.

But this time, he wanted the Sixers' job. People in the franchise said his desire for the job, his enthusiasm became contagious. Considering that a few months earlier, the Sixers - both players and coach - looked as if they'd rather be stuck in traffic than playing basketball, the hiring of someone who feels grateful for the gig is revitalizing.

On April 21, Stefanski received permission from Sixers ownership to schedule a meeting with Collins. Stefanski and Collins scheduled a meeting for May 1 at Collins' home in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The Sixers' contingent of Stefanski, assistant general manager Tony DiLeo, and team consultant Gene Shue stayed overnight in Arizona on April 30 and arrived at Collins' home the next morning, staying five hours, and talking basketball and strategy over lunch.

The topics included: How to rejuvenate power forward Elton Brand; the possibility of turning Andre Iguodala into an all-NBA defender; how to use Thaddeus Young as both a small forward and power forward to stretch defenses with his versatility and smoothness; and what to do with center Samuel Dalembert, whose aloofness has become as commonplace as his blocked shots.

But, before any of those, the topic was defense and returning an athletic team to its trademark of creating turnovers and transitioning.

"Extreme knowledge of our team" was how those inside the Sixers described Collins.

When it was over, Collins told Langel that it was a great meeting and that he hoped the Sixers felt the same.

Langel said Collins was not concerned with Stefanski's job status, which in early May looked precarious. In fact, Collins said he hoped Stefanski would remain in his position.

Because of the Jordan debacle - a "bad pick" by all involved, according to those responsible - the Sixers believed that they had little room for creativity this time around. That's why initial reports indicated the franchise was poised to reach out to former coach Larry Brown. When those reports became circus-like, with talks of a full-blown takeover by Brown, the team was dissuaded from contacting him.

During late April, the Sixers were reminded of what life with Brown could be like.

Interviews were granted to up-and-coming NBA assistant coaches Monty Williams, Dan Majerle, Elston Turner, and Bill Laimbeer, but the organization felt pressured to hire a veteran coach. Sure, uncovering a No. 2 assistant who becomes the league's next brilliant head coach would be a coup, but if that No. 2 proved to be a dud as the leading man, the team would spiral further downward.

For those at the top, the risk was too great. There were too many fired coaches already on the payroll.

Immediately after the meeting in Scottsdale, Collins had only one request of Stefanski: If at any point in the process you lose interest, just let me know.

The opposite happened.

Stefanski called Langel two days after the interview, May 3, and suggested that the two sides stay in touch. Every other day - through six more interviews - Stefanski kept returning to Collins.

Last weekend, when Stefanski went to management to recommend Collins, the decision was unanimous among Stefanski, DiLeo, and Shue - Collins was the person they wanted.

On Monday, while Collins was preparing as a TNT analyst for the Western Conference finals, Stefanski called Langel to say he had been granted permission to make an offer. The same day, the Sixers put out word that they were preparing to offer a second round of interviews to Collins, Avery Johnson, and Sam Mitchell.

There were reasons for the secrecy. If the Collins negotiation broke down, the Sixers didn't want the next candidate to feel like the runner-up choice. Collins, working on TV for TNT, didn't want to become the story. And Comcast-Spectacor likely wanted to avoid answering questions about its financial dedication to the Sixers if a deal wasn't worked out.

After each TNT telecast, Langel said Collins would call him, thankful his own negotiation hadn't become the story.

The Sixers' initial offer needed work, but both sides were "playing in the same arena," according to a source.

On Tuesday and Wednesday of last week, negotiations bounced between the two sides at the same time those Ping-Pong balls were bouncing in the Sixers' favor.

Langel said that even before that stroke of lottery-day luck, Collins knew Philadelphia was the right place for him, the right team for him to coach.

The No. 2 pick was just the icing on the cake, or the high-flying slam at the end of a well-played fastbreak.

On Thursday, the deal was done: Doug Collins would become the 23d head coach in franchise history.

There are plenty of potholes still to be filled, but heading into the 2010-11 season, a few issues have been resolved. There will be a head coach with a strong resumé. There almost certainly will be a talented rookie who belongs on the team's marquee. And there likely will be Stefanski, still at the helm.

A week ago, you couldn't say any of that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    doug collins it is.

quality coach?...check

how do you trade for a free agent?
    iguodala is the dude they need to trade. nothing like a 2 guard that can't shoot (or dribble). stefanski should be canned for that contract alone.

dalembert and brand suck too. get rid of everyone but holiday and thad...speights will be a solid 6th man. other than that, they have nothing (turner will be nice)
    The Fixer wrote:
    doug collins it is.

quality coach?...check

how do you trade for a free agent?

Sign and trade is what I was getting at. I heard Collins is more fond of the proven Veteran player. Plus you guys have decent young pieces like Speights, Holiday, and Young.
    NERDS!
    I wouldn't mind this at all...their frontcourt is horrible. only negative I see here is this means iguodala stays at the 2, which he can't play

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

Derrick Favors
    Position: PF
    Height: 6-10
    Weight: 245
    School: Georgia Tech

Analysis: I've heard various sources make pretty forceful arguments that three different players are second on the 76ers' board: Evan Turner, DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors. At times, I've been persuaded by all three. But now it looks like the Sixers are leaning toward Favors, according to what I was told on Monday by a credible source familiar with coach Doug Collins' thinking.

Turner isn't a great fit next to Andre Iguodala. And while Cousins is a perfect fit in the middle, the team has some concerns about his on-court attitude. That leaves Favors, who has as much upside as any player in the draft.

His measurements out of Chicago are virtually identical to Dwight Howard's -- which means he should be just fine playing center. All of this can change once players undergo individual workouts and interviews, but from what I can gather, Favors has the lead if the Sixers decide to keep the pick.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I wouldn't mind this at all...their frontcourt is horrible. only negative I see here is this means iguodala stays at the 2, which he can't play

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

Derrick Favors
    Position: PF
    Height: 6-10
    Weight: 245
    School: Georgia Tech

Analysis: I've heard various sources make pretty forceful arguments that three different players are second on the 76ers' board: Evan Turner, DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors. At times, I've been persuaded by all three. But now it looks like the Sixers are leaning toward Favors, according to what I was told on Monday by a credible source familiar with coach Doug Collins' thinking.

Turner isn't a great fit next to Andre Iguodala. And while Cousins is a perfect fit in the middle, the team has some concerns about his on-court attitude. That leaves Favors, who has as much upside as any player in the draft.

His measurements out of Chicago are virtually identical to Dwight Howard's -- which means he should be just fine playing center. All of this can change once players undergo individual workouts and interviews, but from what I can gather, Favors has the lead if the Sixers decide to keep the pick.

awful.

if turner is a bad fit for igudala.......get rid of igudala. fuck him. collins will get him in line and convince him that he's a 3. stop shooting the ball cuz he can't.

hopefully kate fagan's right in that there are teams out there interested in ai2 and his horrific salary.

turner needs to be the guy.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    imo, you don't select a player because he doesn't fit with one of your current players, unless that current player is a lebron, kobe, dwight kind of guy. you take the best player at #2. period. just ask Portland if they could do it over again in the 80's when MJ was passed becasue they already had clyde.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    Turner will make everyone else better he is a team first player

take him
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Yeah, I really don't know why this is a topic for discussion. You take the best available talent at that spot and not what you're need is. Turner. All day.
    Yeah, I really don't know why this is a topic for discussion. You take the best available talent at that spot and not what you're need is. Turner. All day.

no brainer.

however this also the same organization that drafted shawn bradely with the # 2 pick though...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    m0jorisen wrote:

take him

i like the fact that he stayed in college a couple years too.

favors is still 18 years old...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    m0jorisen wrote:

take him

who cares? they aren't winning shit in the next 3 years anyway. I'd be cool with favors at 2. Can't win in the NBA without big guys. and the sixers have none. it's easier to find a 2 guard than a dominant post player
    The Fixer wrote:
    m0jorisen wrote:

take him

who cares? they aren't winning shit in the next 3 years anyway. I'd be cool with favors at 2. Can't win in the NBA without big guys. and the sixers have none. it's easier to find a 2 guard than a dominant post player

....how come the sixers haven't been able to find one in years then? with the second pick one fell into their lap. you gotta jump all over that dude.
    chinese-happy.jpg

....how come the sixers haven't been able to find one in years then? with the second pick one fell into their lap. you gotta jump all over that dude.

yeah, that iverson guy was awful while he was here
    The Fixer wrote:

and how long ago was it that he was still here and good? 4, 5 years ago? :roll:
    thanks for proving my point.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i'm pretty sure this isn't going to be the popular opinion here but i don't think the sixers were a horrible team last year ... they lacked maturity and guys didn't know their roles ... i watched enuf games to see that they were in most games but lost a lot of games down the stretch because of a lack of experience ...

basketball has and always will be a team game - the guys that play the best together will succeed ... cleveland faltered this playoffs because the team game was stagnant ...

another problem is the guy most uncomplimentary to the pieces already there is brand ... philly should be a running team and he just doesn't fit ...
    The Fixer wrote:

he was here so there was no need to draft a 2 guard dude.

some of your arguments are just plain stupid
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he was here so there was no need to draft a 2 guard dude.

some of your arguments are just plain stupid

the point is they have not been able to find anyone who can play that spot since he left.

and, really, ai was not a pure shooter anyway. so you can make the argument that they have not had a true shooting guard in an even longer time.

come on man...
    chinese-happy.jpg

the point is they have not been able to find anyone who can play that spot since he left.

and, really, ai was not a pure shooter anyway. so you can make the argument that they have not had a true shooting guard in an even longer time.

come on man...

they drafted iguodala to play the 2...that didn't work. It's still a lot easier to find a 2 guard than an effective big guy.

I don't really have a preference...I'd be fine with turner or favors. I understand the reasoning behind taking either guy. keep in mind that dalembert is a FA after this coming season. Speights isn't an NBA starter, so they're gonna need a center for the 2011 season. chances are they won't be picking in the top 5 again next year...a lot easier to draft a 2 guard in the middle of round 1 than it is to find an effective PF/C.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of favors with the 2 pick
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    they drafted iguodala to play the 2...that didn't work. It's still a lot easier to find a 2 guard than an effective big guy.

I don't really have a preference...I'd be fine with turner or favors. I understand the reasoning behind taking either guy. keep in mind that dalembert is a FA after this coming season. Speights isn't an NBA starter, so they're gonna need a center for the 2011 season. chances are they won't be picking in the top 5 again next year...a lot easier to draft a 2 guard in the middle of round 1 than it is to find an effective PF/C.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of favors with the 2 pick

this draft is deepest in the F/C position ...