*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    it looks like this trade was more collins than stefanske. collins didn't want sammy infecting the team under his watch and wanted some more toughness. i can understand that. hoping there are more moves coming. if turner is the pick next week, you gotta be happy with where we're headed here gentlemen...

Yeah, but apparently Stekanski wants Turner and Collins wants Cousins. So we'll see. I don't see how you just don't take Turner.

not sure how true that is. collins was as giddy as a school girl talking about him after they had dinner last night. plus turner is only working out for the sixers apparently. we'll see....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    it looks like this trade was more collins than stefanske. collins didn't want sammy infecting the team under his watch and wanted some more toughness. i can understand that. hoping there are more moves coming. if turner is the pick next week, you gotta be happy with where we're headed here gentlemen...

Yeah, but apparently Stekanski wants Turner and Collins wants Cousins. So we'll see. I don't see how you just don't take Turner.

not sure how true that is. collins was as giddy as a school girl talking about him after they had dinner last night. plus turner is only working out for the sixers apparently. we'll see....

this is all speculation. I don't believe a word these GMs say. and I shouldn't. it isn't a GMs best interest to show his hand leading up to a draft or trade.

No way they take cousins. it's gonna be favors or turner. I'm cool with either one
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Well...at least that's taken care of....

6a00d83451af4b69e20134849e3d81970c-800wi
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576

That for real? That's awesome. Not a real bad situation for Turner, honestly.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It was up on the Sixers website, but then they took it down. I like where this team is headed.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It was up on the Sixers website, but then they took it down. I like where this team is headed.

For sure man, a player like Roy is no joke. Once AI2 is gone they will be all set.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

For sure man, a player like Roy is no joke. Once AI2 is gone they will be all set.

Yeah, I don't think Iggy's going anywhere. Collins is doing the right thing though, and considering him a big.

Yeah, I don't think Iggy's going anywhere. Collins is doing the right thing though, and considering him a big.

His contract is brutal but it's just tough when you have a player that can't shoot and takes so many shots.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

His contract is brutal but it's just tough when you have a player that can't shoot and takes so many shots.

Hopefully not having him in the backcourt fixes some of that - the worst jump shot I've ever seen in my life.
    Off topic, you see the rugby college 7's on NBC a couple weeks ago? It was fun to watch but was as white as a couple hours get on NBC
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Off topic, you see the rugby college 7's on NBC a couple weeks ago? It was fun to watch but was as white as a couple hours get on NBC

Yeah, didn't catch a lot of it, but I like the way they televised it. I read somewhere that NBC execs were thrilled with the numbers and all that business. Hopefully this leads to more 15's getting on US TV. I'm hoping one of these days the World Cup gets exposure in this country like it should. The American team has been making some huge strides lately.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, didn't catch a lot of it, but I like the way they televised it. I read somewhere that NBC execs were thrilled with the numbers and all that business. Hopefully this leads to more 15's getting on US TV. I'm hoping one of these days the World Cup gets exposure in this country like it should. The American team has been making some huge strides lately.

I was fucking shocked to see it on TV, it was on a busy sports day as well. Kind of sucks that it was 7's on network tv though. Don't get the real feel for the game.

Will be tough to get exposure here nationally. Would be awesome, just don't really see it happening. It is an awesome game. Lived in New Zealand for a couple years as a kid and would love to get back into it and follow it. Just tough with everything else.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was fucking shocked to see it on TV, it was on a busy sports day as well. Kind of sucks that it was 7's on network tv though. Don't get the real feel for the game.

Will be tough to get exposure here nationally. Would be awesome, just don't really see it happening. It is an awesome game. Lived in New Zealand for a couple years as a kid and would love to get back into it and follow it. Just tough with everything else.

OH SWEET FUCKING SUSIE. You just got my mind going and I looked this up. Check it out! Sweet!

http://www.rugbymag.com/news/internatio ... 5-rwc.aspx

OH SWEET FUCKING SUSIE. You just got my mind going and I looked this up. Check it out! Sweet!

Thats fucking awesome, I wil defintely be into it. Looks like NBC is taking after ESPN showing shit like the college 7's before they get the World Cup.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thats fucking awesome, I wil defintely be into it. Looks like NBC is taking after ESPN showing shit like the college 7's before they get the World Cup.

US will get smoked, but I'd say they're where US soccer was in the early 90's - just about on the brink of starting something tangible.

So, go Ireland...and US, of course.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Hopefully not having him in the backcourt fixes some of that - the worst jump shot I've ever seen in my life.

he can't dribble either. they don't have one player on their current roster that can create their own shot, let alone make a shot
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

US will get smoked, but I'd say they're where US soccer was in the early 90's - just about on the brink of starting something tangible.

When I was into Rugby it was just tough for the US, they would "compete" against some European teams but when it came to the tri-nations or anything like that, it was a whole different story. It is a fucking fantastic sport though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

When I was into Rugby it was just tough for the US, they would "compete" against some European teams but when it came to the tri-nations or anything like that, it was a whole different story. It is a fucking fantastic sport though.

Love the sport. Only sports above it to me are baseball, football(ours), and basketball.

Yeah, all of our best players we'll never know about because they play in the NFL. The rest of the world's equivalent is rugby, so that's why they usually have this incredible advantage.

Love the sport. Only sports above it to me are baseball, football(ours), and basketball.

Yeah, all of our best players we'll never know about because they play in the NFL. The rest of the world's equivalent is rugby, so that's why they usually have this incredible advantage.

I have been saying since I moved to Philly that I was either going to get back into Rugby or Soccer. Neither has happened, but there are a lot of good spots for both and I would love to make it happen. Fado always seems to have a great rugby crowd.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I have been saying since I moved to Philly that I was either going to get back into Rugby or Soccer. Neither has happened, but there are a lot of good spots for both and I would love to make it happen. Fado always seems to have a great rugby crowd.

Dude, I play - or played - for Schuylkill River. I would like to play again, but I need to get my shoulders fixed first. Dislocated both of them and continued trying to keep playing, but as little as putting my hands on a scrum made them pop out. Fucking kills me.

They practice at 18th and Washington - or at least we used to. I haven't played since '08 so I don't know if things have changed. I just go for the parties and drinks ups here and then.

Go to O'Neal's. It's our sponsoring bar.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dude, I play - or played - for Schuylkill River. I would like to play again, but I need to get my shoulders fixed first. Dislocated both of them and continued trying to keep playing, but as little as putting my hands on a scrum made them pop out. Fucking kills me.

They practice at 18th and Washington - or at least we used to. I haven't played since '08 so I don't know if things have changed. I just go for the parties and drinks ups here and then.

Go to O'Neal's. It's our sponsoring bar.

All good to know dude. Funny, I have a decent friend from England that plays "pro" in NYC. He works for "Play Rugby USA" as his day job. I have been trying to get involved with it locally but with no success, very unorganized here.. Would love to get involved with a Rugby or Soccer program in Philly.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    All good to know dude. Funny, I have a decent friend from England that plays "pro" in NYC. He works for "Play Rugby USA" as his day job. I have been trying to get involved with it locally but with no success, very unorganized here.. Would love to get involved with a Rugby or Soccer program in Philly.

He probably plays for Old Blue then. Any dude from outside of the US playing here is most definitely getting paid by their club.

www.skillrugby.com if it fancies you to check out.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He probably plays for Old Blue then. Any dude from outside of the US playing here is most definitely getting paid by their club.

http://www.skillrugby.com if it fancies you to check out.

Yeah, hes defintely getting paid, Rugby is his green card..

Some good sized motherfuckers in that picture.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

http://www.skillrugby.com if it fancies you to check out.

Yeah, hes defintely getting paid, Rugby is his green card..

Some good sized motherfuckers in that picture.

Yeah, division 1. Good competition. I'm in there somewhere - biggest claim to fame is my super gay picture of the three dudes taking a picture in the Halloween pics - I'm the one with the Magnum PI get-up going on. Ahhh, good times.
    ahaha, thats pretty fucking funny dude. Good on ya.
    so i stepped into the sixers thread... and a rugby match broke out...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    so i stepped into the sixers thread... and a rugby match broke out...

:thumbup:
    Stephen A. Smith: Drafting Turner a necessary next step for 76ers
    POSTED: June 22, 2010

By Stephen A. Smith

The NBA draft is approximately 48 hours away, and here's what we know about where the 76ers are right now:

They've got the No. 2 pick in the draft. Barring a blockbuster offer, the Sixers are not about to trade that pick; they will take Ohio State's Evan Turner, instead.

New head coach Doug Collins is not running the show. That responsibility still falls on the shoulders of president-general manager Ed Stefanski. But since Stefanski still hasn't received an official vote of confidence from chairman Ed Snider and his cohorts, potential chaos lurks perpetually around the corner. Stefanski is making the decisions even as he dangles in the wind.

Welcome to the Sixers' interpretation of progress.

"We're looking forward to the draft," Stefanski told me a few days ago. "We like a few people we've talked to. [Turner] is definitely one of those people. He simply knows how to play the game of basketball. Whatever decision we make, whatever direction we go in, we would hope to go in the direction of a player of his caliber. You'll have to wait until Thursday to see who that player is."

When you're the Sixers , you have no choice but to pick a player of Turner's caliber, and it has very little to do with the two triple-doubles he registered against suspect competition last season or the 20 points per game he averaged in the Big Ten.

Every NBA scout worth his salt applauds Turner's basketball IQ, his scoring ability, and the potential for him to play shooting guard, small forward, and point guard.

Almost in unison, NBA scouts have said Turner "has a great feel for the game. He's the most skilled player in the draft behind [expected No. 1 pick] Kentucky's John Wall. The question is not whether he's the right pick for the Sixers."

Essentially, it's whether they can take a talent like Turner and put the right pieces in place for him to shine.

"I have no doubt that they can and they will," Turner told me just days ago. "It would be one thing if I were some one-dimensional ballplayer, but I'm not. I consider myself versatile. I'm not a scorer or a rebounder anymore than I'm a point guard or shooting guard. I'm a ballplayer. That's what I pride myself on being. And I work on my game every single day to prove just that. Nothing will change in that regard."

Give Turner credit for this much: Evidently, he does his homework.

The Sixers' troubles are arguably the worst-kept secret in the NBA. Everyone knows they have a potential star in Andre Iguodala, who still has a ways to go before validating that status. They also know the Sixers, outside of Iguodala, have absolutely nothing else close to that right now.

Last year's rookie point guard Jrue Holiday doesn't suffice, at least as of yet. Elton Brand will never be that all-star caliber forward again, no matter how stubborn the Sixers are in reaching this realization.

Whatever potential Thaddeus Young has is, somewhat, inhibited by Iguodala's presence. If newly acquired center Spencer Hawes and forward Andres Nocioni were that much to brag about, they'd still be in Sacramento. And is there really anyone else worth talking about with these Sixers?

"Actually, that remains to be seen," Stefanski continued. "And I wouldn't rule out any possibilities. We've got our work cut out for us; there's no doubt about that. But a majority of the talent that's on this roster was in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Now we've got a great new coach, some of those parts still remain, we've added offense and toughness with the Samuel Dalembert trade [Hawes and Nocioni], and we've got the No. 2 pick in the draft. I'll say this much: I don't think things are looking down."

Hiring Collins, an astute basketball mind if ever there was one, was a step in the right direction. Keeping Stefanski on board, albeit precariously, hasn't hurt, either. Both situations, combined with Dalembert's departure, demonstrate Snider meant precisely what he said was opining: "We are not happy with this [Sixers] situation. We expected much better than a 27-55 season. We didn't get it, and we will address it. No matter who it hurts."

That statement immediately followed the end of last season. Since that time, the Sixers appear to be doing everything to make amends.

Snider said they'll "never stand pat and accept mediocrity." The cynic in us all would argue it has certainly appeared that way for far too many years.

So all we can do is wait and see. Starting Thursday.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i can't stand Smith. pompous ass
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i can't stand Smith. pompous ass

agreed. he knows basketball though.
    chinese-happy.jpg