LBC - remembering Roskilde in Berlin

Comments

• wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    Yeah the encore sounds great to me. I mean, in the time they are away from the stage we could start to light us up :D and then they return and are totally blown away (hopefully...if we do it right ;) )
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    wolkenlos wrote:

Oh and sorry for my bad english tonight...it's late and my brain is already in sleeping mode...can't think about grammar now ;D
    :lol::lol::lol: i hope they dont put me to pay for my bad english...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Sooo I just googled times for the sun set. On june 30th, the sun in berlin will probably set around 9:30pm.
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    wolkenlos wrote:
    Yeah the encore sounds great to me. I mean, in the time they are away from the stage we could start to light us up :D and then they return and are totally blown away (hopefully...if we do it right ;) )
    Yeah I'm loving this idea too. You can buy glow sticks just about everywhere now, 99c stores, newsagents, card and gift shops and I've even seen them in Tesco. I don't know how many people the venue holds but the sight of the majority of us lighting it up would be etched in my memory forever and I'm sure the band and staff too. I don't think there will be many without a mobile phone either so we'll not be short on light.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
    veddertown wrote:
    wolkenlos wrote:
    Yeah I'm loving this idea too. You can buy glow sticks just about everywhere now, 99c stores, newsagents, card and gift shops and I've even seen them in Tesco. I don't know how many people the venue holds but the sight of the majority of us lighting it up would be etched in my memory forever and I'm sure the band and staff too. I don't think there will be many without a mobile phone either so we'll not be short on light.

Yes, this would be so awesome :) And I think if we all would start to put out our lighters, etc. then the poeple in the back would follow? Like a big wave of light :D Oh man this would (will!!) be great!
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    wolkenlos wrote:
    veddertown wrote:
    wolkenlos wrote:

Yes, this would be so awesome :) And I think if we all would start to put out our lighters, etc. then the poeple in the back would follow? Like a big wave of light :D Oh man this would (will!!) be great!

The three Berlin gigs from 00, 06 and 09 are in my top ten boots so to going there this year for my 4th PJ show in 8 days and 4th ever and on the Rosklide anniversary with so many people from all around the world will be amazing and this would just make it that litle bit more special. I'm sure the word can be spread in the month and 1 week we have left. :)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    veddertown wrote:
    Yeah I'm loving this idea too. You can buy glow sticks just about everywhere now, 99c stores, newsagents, card and gift shops and I've even seen them in Tesco.

:shock:

*scurries off to Tescos on lunch break*
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,407
    wolkenlos wrote:
    Sooo I just googled times for the sun set. On june 30th, the sun in berlin will probably set around 9:30pm.

I just did the same thing! Yep, 9:33, so it should be dark enough by 10. 1st encore is the perfect time then.

(at least I'm assuming the typical 9:00-11:00 showtime - anyone who was there last year remember what time they played? I know in Ireland outdoor shows tend to end at 10:00)
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    hey guys :)

glad that this thread evolved and that you like the idea - thanks for all thoughts and ideas so far ^^
    ...called security for that show. they will reply today if chemlights are allowed or - if not - if it'd be a problem if a bunch of people would carry a handful of lighters with them (security might find that suspicious...I mean, I'm a non-smoker, I wouldn't need one at all :D).

so...stay tuned!

for the German thread - I posted to move all folks over here and asked for everyone's opinion about the project posted there that hasn't appeared here yet to post again in english if they want to...
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
    if security says yes to chemlights and if they are that cheap with packs of 100 I suggest to make up a list with everyone who's going to buy at least one pack ... a fund might be too complicated...I will be away from 21.06. (like many of you, I guess ^^) and not return home after Berlin.
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
    GetALife wrote:
    if security says yes to chemlights and if they are that cheap with packs of 100 I suggest to make up a list with everyone who's going to buy at least one pack ... a fund might be too complicated

Exactly what I was thinking. I've no problem with just buying a box or two and handing them out, and if others feel the same....

Fuck central planning! Organic grassroots activism all the way!!! :D
    :lol: ... don't wanna over-organize it...I rely on people who say they wanna join in...just wanna have an overview how many lights we'll obviously would get together...
    GetALife wrote:
    if security says yes to chemlights and if they are that cheap with packs of 100 I suggest to make up a list with everyone who's going to buy at least one pack ... a fund might be too complicated

Exactly what I was thinking. I've no problem with just buying a box or two and handing them out, and if others feel the same....

Fuck central planning! Organic grassroots activism all the way!!! :D
  • supernovasupernova Posts: 17
    Hi all fellow jammers.

My first gig ever with Pearl Jam was the Roskilde gig. I was there front row with my two brothers and luckily none of us got hurt. However, the gig in Denmark had a tremendous impact on us as we stood extremely close to "what happened", and somehow it made our relationship to Pearl Jam much stronger. They have always been my favourite band and on June the 30th the three brothers return once again to see the mighty PJ!´

Anyway, to respond to your post, we are ALL IN on your suggestion. It would be a great thing to do to remind those who died so tragically in front of the Orange Stage at Roskilde

Peace
  • Sappy113Sappy113 Posts: 178
    As someone who were at Roskilde, to see something like this happen would be awesome and emotional all at once. It'd be a nice gesture to state that we remember those we lost, we remember the lessons learned, we celebrate being here together and we're going to take real good care of one another. At the show and afterwards.

I remember a show from that Roskilde, the last show closing off the Orange Stage for the year. Danish rockers DAD, who passed lit torches down through the crowd in order to pay respect and remembrance to the victims. I don't remember any specifics of the show at all, but those moments are still etched in my memory. Seeing something similar done in Berlin, not with lit torches obviously, I'd hope would allow us all to remember how damn precious life is.
  • michelleelisemichelleelise Posts: 346
    I think this would be beautiful, and I really wish I was able to be at the Europe shows!!

I really don't want to be a damper, but does anyone remember hearing that the band hates glow lights? I think because of the environmental impact? I could swear that I remember reading or hearing that they've banned them at all of their shows. Or maybe I'm not remembering that correctly... totally possible :)
    edited May 2010
    I really don't want to be a damper, but does anyone remember hearing that the band hates glow lights? I think because of the environmental impact? I could swear that I remember reading or hearing that they've banned them at all of their shows. Or maybe I'm not remembering that correctly... totally possible :)

This would be bad :(
    Remember we are all in the crowd with our lights and they just talk about us fucking up the environment :?

EDIT: just found this link http://www.scottradecenter.com/STC-events/pearljam.html
    Glow sticks were prohibited at this venue because you could use them as projectile :lol:
    But I have no problem to smuggle them into the venue in my boots or underwear ;D We can't always follow the rules! :P
    Post edited by wolkenlos on
    What about tapers? I know that the venue won't allow sparklers (probably b/c they're officially fireworks) but tapers wouldn't be any more dangerous than lighters, surely?
    What about tapers? I know that the venue won't allow sparklers (probably b/c they're officially fireworks) but tapers wouldn't be any more dangerous than lighters, surely?

Could you explain what tapers are? I don't know the vocabulary... I googled them and found candles?!
    But yeah man... we could all use candles... a little tea light for example?

So romantic :lol:
    wolkenlos wrote:

Could you explain what tapers are? I don't know the vocabulary... I googled them and found candles?!

I may have the word wrong, but they are very thin candles that are really just used for lighting tall candles. I reckon they should be very cheap, but I actually can't find them online (which is what makes me think that I've got the wrong word)
    Here are some small tapers made for vigils, 60 per box!

http://www.candles4less.com/candles/Uti ... -Box-of-60

EDIT: and if you don't want to buy that paper piece, I've seen something like this being used with cupcake papers :)

EDIT: and if you don't want to buy that paper piece, I've seen something like this being used with cupcake papers :)
    A bit more expensive than I was expecting.

On second thoughts, having hundreds or thousands of people with open flames, might just be a recipe for disaster.

which would not be good, on that night of all nights.
    wolkenlos wrote:

I may have the word wrong, but they are very thin candles that are really just used for lighting tall candles. I reckon they should be very cheap, but I actually can't find them online (which is what makes me think that I've got the wrong word)

I think they may be called tapers... It seems familiar to me anyways.

To be honest, I think that security might clamp down on loads of us taking candles into the venue and scupper the whole thing... Not trying to be a party pooper, just realistic :)

Thank you to the people who posted who were actually at the Roskilde show. I think I speak for a few of us when I sat it means a lot that you're behind this idea :thumbup:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

Ok, but they are a lot more expensive than the glow sticks. (100 glow sticks for 4,30€ /5,XX $ ....the tapers are 60 pieces for 20$!)

To be honest, I think that security might clamp down on loads of us taking candles into the venue and scupper the whole thing... Not trying to be a party pooper, just realistic :)

Yeah, I agree. Shame though.

Maybe glowsticks is the best way to go, though the environmental impact point is a good and fair one.

Any other ideas?
    wolkenlos wrote:

Ok, but they are a lot more expensive than the glow sticks. (100 glow sticks for 4,30€ /5,XX $ ....the tapers are 60 pieces for 20$!)

Yikes!! :o

Yeah, I agree. Shame though.

Maybe glowsticks is the best way to go, though the environmental impact point is a good and fair one.

Any other ideas?

I've been thinking about it and I do believe that glo-sticks is probably the best way to show unity and respect. Multiple banners could seem a little crass if not done tactfully... and like we said, candles would be perfect but dangerous and security won't like it.

Hmm.. :think:

edited May 2010
    Yes candles would look nice... but in the crowd it's hard to handle.
    I think we should stick to the glow lights, we just all have to be responsible in the handling (don't throw them on the ground afterwards and produce lots of trash!) I mean they are so easy to use. Encore - bending the sticks - LIGHT :lol:
    Better than burning our thumbs on the lighters or trying to keep the sparklers alive.

EDIT:
    but with the glow sticks we have to make sure that everybody uses them at the same time (encore 1) and not that many people already start using them before/during the show because then the feeling of unity would be gone and the sticks wouldn't be a big surprise anymore..
    So where are you all seeing these "100 glowsticks for a fiver"?
    edited May 2010
    http://www.magic-man1001.de/index.php?cl=details&anid=6ba479210699d5d91.14257894&campaign=Google%20Produktsuche%2Falle%20Artikel&efp=googleps&efc=2453&efpn=Google%20Produktsuche&mktsp=efire&c=2453&a=1216726&u=1422&z=1421832.18633

Every set of 100 contains only one color, but they have 7 colors in their product range - I'd suggest that we'll all buy different colors and mix them together :)

EDIT:
    and yes, it's a german website ;D
    The colors are:
    grün (green), rot (red), gelb (yellow), pink, orange, lila (violet), blau (blue) & weiß (white)
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    ... and this place has a mixture of colours ... £5.99 if you are buying one pack of 100 http://www.glow-sticks.org/100-Pack-of- ... elets.html
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?