Options

LBC - remembering Roskilde in Berlin

Comments

• Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    Brisk. wrote:
    Get loads of green ones because green is the best colour.

So you're on board now?! ;)
    Glad to have you! :D
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Brisk. wrote:

Lol i wasn't again it, just hope they dont ban you from not taking them in for some petty reason.
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

Lol i wasn't again it, just hope they dont ban you from not taking them in for some petty reason.

I hope not.

If so, there's an alternative.

At the encore break, we could sing Arc.
    I mean, it can't be that hard to coordinate a 17,000 voice chorus, can it???

But how incredible would it be if we could?
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486

I hope not.

If so, there's an alternative.

But how incredible would it be if we could?[/quote]

Lol, that would be epic. Think during the queuing i'll write a LBC sign to kill a few seconds.
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    I will be travelling by train from Amsterdam to Berlin - if I see any glowsticks in either city, I will buy some (I'm pretty sure I know a shop in Berlin that will have them) :D

Jen, if you know a place to get them there, that's perfect. Wolkenlos, are you in Berlin, by any chance? Maybe you could check if that place does have them, and we could clean 'em out when we get there. Might be easier than trying to have lots of people trying to get on planes.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340

But how incredible would it be if we could?

Just like the encore break last year! It was epic (not quite Arc, but it was magical all the same!)
    Jennytree wrote:
    I will be travelling by train from Amsterdam to Berlin - if I see any glowsticks in either city, I will buy some (I'm pretty sure I know a shop in Berlin that will have them) :D

Jen, if you know a place to get them there, that's perfect. Wolkenlos, are you in Berlin, by any chance? Maybe you could check if that place does have them, and we could clean 'em out when we get there. Might be easier than trying to have lots of people trying to get on planes.

I'll do some research, see what I can come up with! Surely between Amsterdam and Berlin, there HAS to be a place that sells them :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Right, I'm gonna investigate taking glo-sticks on flights tomorrow.

My work collegue (who used to work in international freight) thinks we may have a serious problem taking them, even in the hold. They're classed as chemicals as they could be corrosive to skin and may react with other chems in the hold and the airline may not be comfortable with so many going at once, especially if they're hauling freight as well.

I'll let you all know how we get on but if there is a problem, could they be posted to one of you lovely German people?? :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited May 2010
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!

TERRORIST ATTACKING BERLIN WITH A HIGH TECHNOLOGY NEW GUN/ :shock:
    GLOWSTICKS
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!

TERRORIST ATTACKING BERLIN WITH A HIGH TECHNOLOGY NEW GUN/ :shock: :[
    b]GLOWSTICKS[/b]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    hey folks, I really enjoy how my original post evolved with your contributions :) security called me back and said they'll be talking to the band in the 1st week of June...I mean, I don't want to be too anxious about it but personally I feel better if I know that it can be done and that we won't have a mess of waste to leave outside the venue although we could have known better.

singing ARC would be awesome. well, I'm a singer and studied musical education so if you all SHUT UP during the encore break I could make you sing :lol:
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • Options
    GetALife wrote:
    hey folks, I really enjoy how my original post evolved with your contributions :) security called me back and said they'll be talking to the band in the 1st week of June:
    so now we know where to start bitching if they not allowed it :lol::lol::lol:

but there is cure to that!!!!! :mrgreen:
    30184398728226897666496.jpg
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    GetALife wrote:
    hey folks, I really enjoy how my original post evolved with your contributions :) security called me back and said they'll be talking to the band in the 1st week of June...I mean, I don't want to be too anxious about it but personally I feel better if I know that it can be done and that we won't have a mess of waste to leave outside the venue although we could have known better.

singing ARC would be awesome. well, I'm a singer and studied musical education so if you all SHUT UP during the encore break I could make you sing :lol:

All right, then, you start us off with the first round, and we'll all join in one by one. You can use your glowstick as a conductor's baton.
  • Options
    ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Alright. I guess someone has to start.
    Even though I'm still not completely comfortable with the thought of people somehow abusing them, I have somewhere between 100 and 200 sticks here that I'm willing bring to the show and pass them out. Free of charge, of course. But I'm not writing that many leaflets on how to use them... ;)
  • Options
    Alright. I guess someone has to start.
    Even though I'm still not completely comfortable with the thought of people somehow abusing them, I have somewhere between 100 and 200 sticks here that I'm willing bring to the show and pass them out. Free of charge, of course. But I'm not writing that many leaflets on how to use them... ;)

You won't need to hand-write them, but someone that happens to have use of a printer in work might help (I can do that if needed!)
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    71step2871step28 Hamburg Posts: 2,249
    Right, I'm gonna investigate taking glo-sticks on flights tomorrow.

My work collegue (who used to work in international freight) thinks we may have a serious problem taking them, even in the hold. They're classed as chemicals as they could be corrosive to skin and may react with other chems in the hold and the airline may not be comfortable with so many going at once, especially if they're hauling freight as well.

I'll let you all know how we get on but if there is a problem, could they be posted to one of you lovely German people?? :D

here, here, Sian!
    Don't know if i'm that lovely, but at least i'm German ;) I'm going by bus from Hamburg to Berlin (on 29th), i think i can take the glowsticks with me, either handbag or luggage, depends on how many there are. I can provide you with my Packstation adress (like PO BOX - as well as anyone else who wants to send the sticks to Germany, but they have to be there before 18th of June the latest because after that i'm not at home anymore wooohoooo! :D ) PM me if needed.
  • Options
    I'll be in Berlin for a couple of days before the show, so if I find somewhere there that sells them, I'll pick up some. Any people from or familiar w/ Berlin know where I could begin? (since Jenny seems to have been bluffing) :P
  • Options
    wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    Ohhh so many new entries :D

Wait, the security will ask the band if we can have our glow stick party?? but that must be a surprise!! I don't want them to tell the band about this :( (hopefully they also don't read this thread... :? ... otherwise: HELLO EDDIE :lol: )

Well. ok. Back to the topic. I lived in berlin the last 2 years but unfortunately not anymore... Maybe I will be in berlin the days before the show but I don't know exactly yet, depends on my university and stupid exams. But I'd go and buy glow sticks in berlin if anybody knows where to buy them. I never saw them in big packages... Oh wait, we had a party last year with many of them, I'll speak to my friend where they bought them.

Oh and singing arc would be amazing. We could synchronize this with our sticks. :D
  • Options
    so far ,in ths is for buy those and pass them to fans are:
    wolkenlos
    Yvonne
    Sian
    Leanne
    GetAlife
    wolfamongwolves
    skyvalley
    Jennytree
    Jocke
    ScrapeMySky
    supernova
    veddertown
    Dimitris

did i miss someone ,or i post someone that he isnt in to buy atleast a package?
  • Options
    wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    edited May 2010
    wolkenlos
    Yvonne
    Sian
    Leanne
    GetAlife
    wolfamongwolves
    skyvalley
    Jennytree
    Jocke
    ScrapeMySky
    supernova
    veddertown
    Dimitris

At least 1300 glow sticks so far ;)

EDIT: so my friend told me she thinks that she bought them at KIK :D I think we just have to go to one of the 1€ shops and look if they have them... Or maybe a big discounter - real, kaufland?
    Post edited by wolkenlos on
  • Options
    71step2871step28 Hamburg Posts: 2,249
    wolkenlos wrote:
    wolkenlos
    Yvonne
    Sian
    Leanne
    GetAlife
    wolfamongwolves
    skyvalley
    Jennytree
    Jocke
    ScrapeMySky
    supernova
    veddertown
    Dimitris

8-)8-)
  • Options
    wolkenlos wrote:
    wolkenlos
    Yvonne
    Sian
    Leanne
    GetAlife
    wolfamongwolves
    skyvalley
    Jennytree
    Jocke
    ScrapeMySky
    supernova
    veddertown
    Dimitris

and some of us will buy more than one package ;)
  • Options
    IrishGuyIrishGuy Posts: 258
    Taken from Wikipedia:
    Because the product is a one-time use device and is made from plastic, and because of the number sold, the device is considered to have a high environmental impact for purely recreational entertainment. The toxic internal substances, if released, are also damaging to the environment

Atricle from Earth hour:
    http://www.thestar.com/SpecialSections/EarthHour/article/404659

And you want to do this for a band that is environmentally conscious? :roll:
  • Options
    IrishGuy wrote:
    Taken from Wikipedia:
    Because the product is a one-time use device and is made from plastic, and because of the number sold, the device is considered to have a high environmental impact for purely recreational entertainment. The toxic internal substances, if released, are also damaging to the environment

Atricle from Earth hour:
    http://www.thestar.com/SpecialSections/EarthHour/article/404659

And you want to do this for a band that is environmentally conscious? :roll:
    so me and some friends will destroy the planet???
    :roll:
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Every little bit counts. Just think its not the best way to show your appreciation when the band themselves try to offset the impact their shows have on the environment. Thousands of one use plastic toys?
    Post edited by IrishGuy on
  • Options
    IrishGuy wrote:
    Every little bit counts. Just think its not the best way to show your appreciation when the band themselves try to offset the impact their shows have on the environment. Thounds of one use plastic toys?

I do have to say that this has been bothering me, as much as I want to mark the moment., and as much as I've been promoting this.

What about the suggestion in the article?

"there's a third and better option, and one concertgoers have already begun to cotton on to: use your cellphone with its built-in luminous face.

Your best option is to take your cellphone out, flip it on – it makes a nice light glow – and you wave it around for a bit. Then you can duck out, call your Member of Parliament and tell them to pass laws to protect public health and the environment. That's the best option," Freeman said.

We know just about everyone is going to have mobiles at the show. Half of them will have them out with the screens facing away from the band for the whole show, as they're taking pictures. All we have to do is get people to turn them around during the encore break.

We could simply pass out flyers explaining what we want to do (bilingual, of course - or multilingual, eh Dimi?).

And then all sing Arc in perfect unison...

What say you all?
  • Options
    I'd prefer that. :)
  • Options
    IrishGuy wrote:
    Every little bit counts. Just think its not the best way to show your appreciation when the band themselves try to offset the impact their shows have on the environment. Thounds of one use plastic toys?

I do have to say that this has been bothering me, as much as I want to mark the moment., and as much as I've been promoting this.

What about the suggestion in the article?

"there's a third and better option, and one concertgoers have already begun to cotton on to: use your cellphone with its built-in luminous face.

Your best option is to take your cellphone out, flip it on – it makes a nice light glow – and you wave it around for a bit. Then you can duck out, call your Member of Parliament and tell them to pass laws to protect public health and the environment. That's the best option," Freeman said.

We know just about everyone is going to have mobiles at the show. Half of them will have them out with the screens facing away from the band for the whole show, as they're taking pictures. All we have to do is get people to turn them around during the encore break.

We could simply pass out flyers explaining what we want to do (bilingual, of course - or multilingual, eh Dimi?).

And then all sing Arc in perfect unison...

What say you all?

Yeah, the environmental impact has been bothering me too... I think this is a brilliant idea.

I can write an information leaflet tomorrow at work if people think this is a good idea? I could even do some larger posters to put up around the venue?

• Options
    I know one of my phones has an actual torch on it, too!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A suggestion:

We’re ten thousand points of lights for the fallen fan

Ten years ago today, nine young men – fans of this band, just like all of us gathered here – were taken from us during Pearl Jam’s set at the Roskilde Festival in neighbouring Denmark.

We know how much this event has affected the band. We know easily it could have happened to any one of us. We all lost nine friends we’ll never know 10 years ago today. And we want to mark this solemn moment tonight.

Here’s what we’d like you to do:
    During the encore break after the main set, join us in solidarity for our lost friends. Simply take out your phone, light up the screen, and face it towards the stage, so that when the band return they will see our solidarity with them, in memory of those we lost.

Please be safe tonight. Look out for those around you...
    And enjoy the show.

Thank you.
    Post edited by wolfamongwolves on
  • Options
    Excellent letter, Damo!

I know this may seem a little strange but...

... do you think the band WANT to be reminded of it? I'm all for honouring the memory of the fans ('a point of light' is non-intrusive, yet lovely), but bear in mind that the guys themselves also went through that traumatic experience and may not want to be reminded of it... tis just a thought...
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!