Options

LBC - remembering Roskilde in Berlin

Comments

• Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    A suggestion:

We’re ten thousand points of lights for the fallen fan

Ten years ago today, nine young men – fans of this band, just like all of us gathered here – were taken from us during Pearl Jam’s set at the Roskilde Festival in neighbouring Denmark.

We know how much this event has affected the band. We know easily it could have happened to any one of us. We all lost nine friends we’ll never know 10 years ago today. And we want to mark this solemn moment tonight.

Here’s what we’d like you to do:
    During the encore break after the main set, join us in solidarity for our lost friends. Simply take out your phone, light up the screen, and face it towards the stage, so that when the band return they will see our solidarity with them, in memory of those we lost.

Thank you.
    And enjoy the show.

Absolutely perfect. Thanks Damien.

Want me to print it? I can take advantage of 'free' printing at work :shh:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    Excellent letter, Damo!

I know this may seem a little strange but...

... do you think the band WANT to be reminded of it? I'm all for honouring the memory of the fans ('a point of light' is non-intrusive, yet lovely), but bear in mind that the guys themselves also went through that traumatic experience and may not want to be reminded of it... tis just a thought...

What do you mean Jenny? Are you suggesting we don't do it or not make the band aware?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Jennytree wrote:
    Excellent letter, Damo!

... do you think the band WANT to be reminded of it? I'm all for honouring the memory of the fans ('a point of light' is non-intrusive, yet lovely), but bear in mind that the guys themselves also went through that traumatic experience and may not want to be reminded of it... tis just a thought...

I think that's not going to be a problem as they're constantly aware of it and often mentioned it before at shows that held some kind of significance, like when people that were affected by it were in attendence.
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    A suggestion:

Ten years ago today, nine young men – fans of this band, just like all of us gathered here – were taken from us during Pearl Jam’s set at the Roskilde Festival in neighbouring Denmark.

We know how much this event has affected the band. We know easily it could have happened to any one of us. We all lost nine friends we’ll never know 10 years ago today. And we want to mark this solemn moment tonight.

During the encore break after the main set, join us in solidarity for our lost friends. Simply take out your phone, light up the screen, and face it towards the stage, so that when the band return they will see our solidarity with them, in memory of those we lost.

Thank you.
    And enjoy the show.

Thanks!
    If eveyone's happy with it, sure. Let's leave it a while to see it anyone agrees it's a good idea, or has anything to change or add. Maybe wolkenlos would be able to translate it into German.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    A suggestion:

Thank you.
    And enjoy the show.

Thanks!
    If eveyone's happy with it, sure. Let's leave it a while to see it anyone agrees it's a good idea, or has anything to change or add. Maybe wolkenlos would be able to translate it into German.

Gosh, you're on a roll today! :D Good idea!

I can probably print it in the next couple of weeks if everyone's ok with it or any changes get made :)

• Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340

What do you mean Jenny? Are you suggesting we don't do it or not make the band aware?

I don't really know what I mean :lol: I guess I think we'd wanna be sure that they'd appreciate it (I actually doubt highly they'd be annoyed by it!) before so much effort was made.

A translation into German would be great :thumbup: Here's what happened last year after the 1st encore - something similar would be awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8xmEQlRk8 (The first minute)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    Excellent letter, Damo!

I think that's not going to be a problem as they're constantly aware of it and often mentioned it before at shows that held some kind of significance, like when people that were affected by it were in attendence.

It wasn't mentioned at Reading but it was obviously on their minds from what Ed said. I don't think there would ever be a show when it wasn't to be honest. So many times Ed asks the audience to step back and he's always aware of the crowds comfort and general feeling.

I can see what Jenny's saying (that she wouldn't want to upset the band if i'm judging it right?) but Berlin is exactly a decade on, in the neighbouring country... it's a little too close to home and I think the band would be extremely touched that we've taken time to remember those who were so prematurely lost.

• Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    Jennytree wrote:
    Here's what happened last year after the 1st encore - something similar would be awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8xmEQlRk8 (The first minute)

Amazing! Now if there's just some way to shape that into Arc...
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i like this idea too..but im confused,where this letter will be sent?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    btw isnt so difficult,if people start open their mobile the guy next will do it,no need more thah seconds for all to do it!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

It'll be posted up around the venue and handed out on leaflets. It's kind of a letter to the fans requesting them to join in with the remembrance :)

That video gave me goosebumps Jenny! I agree with Damien... shaping it into Arc would be epic... an certainly memorable :D

• Options

It'll be posted up around the venue and handed out on leaflets. It's kind of a letter to the fans requesting them to join in with the remembrance :)

That video gave me goosebumps Jenny! I agree with Damien... shaping it into Arc would be epic... an certainly memorable :D
    great!!its easy..in the line if u pass can tell to everybody..berlin venue helps alot..
    and i love that video cos i lishen my voice to this video ,when eddie talks about venice :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I tried a translation. It's pretty rough in some places and sometimes doesn't follow the exact wording of the original, but I tried to do it in a way that a german would probably do it. But I think it would be best if someone whose punctuation is better than mine checks this for mistakes and typos...
    Oh, and I also left out the headline, because I couldn't come up with a proper translation...
    Ok. Here it is:

Heute vor 10 Jahren verloren neun junge Menschen - Fans dieser Band so wie wir alle hier - ihr Leben wärend des Pearl Jam Konzertes auf dem Roskilde Festival im Nachbarland Dänemark.

Wir wissen wie sehr dieses Ereignis die Band geprägt hat. Wir wissen wie einfach dies wohl auch jedem von uns hätte passieren können. Heute vor 10 Jahren haben wir alle neun Freunde verloren, die wir nie kennenlernen werden. Und heute Abend wollen wir an diesen tragischen Moment erinnern.

Und so könnt ihr dabei helfen:
    In der Pause vor der ersten Zugabe wollen wir zusammen unsere Solidarität mit den Freunden, die wir verloren haben, zeigen. Nehmt einfach euer Handy, aktiviert die Bilschirmbeleuchtung und richtet sie in Richtung der Bühne, so dass die Band, wenn sie zurück auf die Bühne kommt, unsere Solidarität mit ihnen in der Erinnerung an die, die wir verloren haben, sehen kann.

Vielen Dank!
    Geniesst die Show!

edit: found a typo :)
    Post edited by ScrapeMySky on
  • Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    As a native speaker I can't say anything bad about. GOOD JOB! :)

I got an old-fashion mobile but wouldn't i be amazing if everyone who is able to would make a picture of him- or herself (or the person behind him or her ^^) while holding it towards the stage. If we THEN get a lot of people together we can show our remembrance with our faces as a collective :-) ... well, this dream actually gives me goosebumps ^^
    I tried a translation. It's pretty rough in some places and sometimes doesn't follow the exact wording of the original, but I tried to do it in a way that a german would probably do it. But I think it would be best if someone whose punctuation is better than mine checks this for mistakes and typos...
    Oh, and I also left out the headline, because I couldn't come up with a proper translation...
    Ok. Here it is:

Heute vor 10 Jahren verloren neun junge Menschen - Fans dieser Band so wie wir alle hier - ihr Leben wärend des Pearl Jam Konzertes auf dem Roskilde Festival im Nachbarland Dänemark.

Wir wissen wie sehr dieses Ereignis die Band geprägt hat. Wir wissen wie einfach dies wohl auch jedem von uns hätte passieren können. Heute vor 10 Jahren haben wir alle neun Freunde verloren, die wir nie kennenlernen werden. Un heute Abend wollen wir an diesen tragischen Moment erinnern.

Und so könnt ihr dabei helfen:
    In der Pause vor der ersten Zugabe wollen wir zusammen unsere Solidarität mit den Freunden, die wir verloren haben, zeigen. Nehmt einfach euer Handy, aktiviert die Bilschirmbeleuchtung und richtet sie in Richtung der Bühne, so dass die Band, wenn sie zurück auf die Bühne kommt, unsere Solidarität mit ihnen in der Erinnerung an die, die wir verloren haben, sehen kann.

Vielen Dank!
    Geniesst die Show!
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • Options
    GetALife wrote:
    Thanks!
    Yeah, well, I'm a native speaker too. :D:D
    Just didn't know if it sounded ok. And as I said, I'm not too good with punctuation...
  • Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    oh, as you say it...there are actually punctuation mistakes in it :lol: ... no rush...maybe later...but everything is nicely translated :geek:
    GetALife wrote:
    Thanks!
    Just didn't know if it sounded ok. And as I said, I'm not too good with punctuation...
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    GetALife wrote:
    oh, as you say it...there are actually punctuation mistakes in it :lol: ... no rush...maybe later...but everything is nicely translated :geek:
    GetALife wrote:
    Thanks!

I was at the first show following the accident in VA Beach. Powerful moment when they first got on stage.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    GetALife wrote:
    GetALife wrote:
    Thanks!

See! I told you! :D:D
    Well, if anyone finds anything, just quote the whole thing and correct the mistake.
    And if anyone comes up with a decent translation of the headline... Even though right now I'm not even sure if it needs a translation at all. Probably not.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i can traslate in greek if u want.but i dont have to..ill fuckin screamm
    "re malakes anoikse to fos sta kinita na ginei tis poutanas" and all will work fine :lol:

in free translation means:
    hey u assholes,open the lights of your mobiles to make the place a whore house.. :lol:
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
  • Options
    You know what? I'm pretty sure you're probably right. :D
    Even if I don't understand a single word in that sentence, of course... :D
  • Options
    i can traslate in greek if u want.but i dont have to..ill fuckin screamm
    "re malakes anoikse to fos sta kinita na ginei tis poutanas" and all will work fine :lol:

in free translation means:
    hey u assholes,open the lights of your mobiles to make the place a whore house.. :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up! :D I have to remember that for the next time I'm at a classical concert! :D
  • Options
    PkePke Ayrshire ,Scotland Posts: 846
    sounds a good idea to me with phones an i,m sure once a couple people start doing it all will follow
    Glasgow 00
    Leeds 06
    London 07
    London Berlin London 09
    Dublin Belfast London Berlin Arras Werchter Bilbao 10
    East Troy East Troy Montreal Toronto Toronto 11
    Manchester Manchester Berlin Berlin Stockholm EV Manchester 12
    San Diego LA Oakland Portland Vancouver Seattle 13
    Berlin Leeds Tulsa Lincoln 14
    Pete Townshend & EV Chicago Global Citizen New York 15
    Philadelphia Philadelphia New York New York 16
    EV Tarmonia Tarmonia 17
    London,London,Prague,Krakow,Berlin 18
  • Options
    71step2871step28 Hamburg Posts: 2,249
    edited May 2010
    OK, I tried another german translation, the other germans here can judge it, please!

Lasst uns zehntausend Lichter für unsere Freunde sein!

Heute vor genau 10 Jahren sind 9 junge Männer –Fans wie du und ich und alle, die heute hier sind- aus unserer Mitte gerissen worden, sie starben während des Konzerts von Pearl Jam beim Roskilde Festival im Nachbarland Dänemark.

Wir wissen, wie sehr dies die Band beeinflusst und bewegt hat. Und wir alle wissen auch, wie leicht es jedem von uns hätte passieren können. Wir alle haben damals 9 Freunde verloren, Freunde die wie niemals mehr kennenlernen werden, vor genau 10 Jahren. Deshalb wollen wir heute Abend alle diesem Tag ehrvoll gedenken – mit einer einfachen Geste, bei der JEDER mitmachen kann.

Folgendes ist geplant:
    In der Pause vor der ersten Zugabe bitten wir euch, macht mit, wenn wir unseren Freunden in Solidarität bestehen und gedenken wollen. Nehmt einfach euer Handy, macht es an, so dass es leuchtet, vielleicht habt ihr ja sogar eine integrierte Taschenlampe oder Dauerblitz etc., und haltet das Licht in Richtung Bühne, damit die Band, wenn sie wieder zurück auf die Bühne kommt, unsere Einigkeit sehen kann – in Erinnerung an die, die wir verloren haben.

DANKE

Passt auf euch auf und auf eure Freunde!
    Viel Spaß bei der Show!!!
    Post edited by 71step28 on
  • Options
    the only thing i have to add in the letter is something in the end before the enjoun the show
    something like .."please stay safe"watch for your friend near u .e.t.c..or something like that
  • Options
    the only thing i have to add in the letter is something in the end before the enjoun the show
    something like .."please stay safe"watch for your friend near u .e.t.c..or something like that

yeah, right! Wait, I'll edit the german version
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    71step28 wrote:

yeah, right! Wait, I'll edit the german version
    Great!!thanks Yvi!!!..the Greek version stay as it is :mrgreen:
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
  • Options
    That's great! But I think "In der Pause vor der ersten Zugabe..." would be a little better so the lights are already on when the band retakes the stage.
  • Options
    That's great! But I think "In der Pause vor der ersten Zugabe..." would be a little better so the lights are already on when the band retakes the stage.
    true, i notice that too :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

stimmt, warte...
  • Options
    true, i notice that too :lol::lol::lol::lol:

hahaha... as if! :lol: