LBC - remembering Roskilde in Berlin

GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
edited June 2013 in Given To Fly (live)
hey there!

dunno, if this topic's been posted already here at the forum...if so, let me know please.

on the date of the Berlin show this year - June 30th - the Roskilde tragedy happened 10 years ago. I guess that the guys will be playing Love Boat Captain and maybe say a few words about it. I thought about contributing something to the memory of the death of the 9 festival guests from 2000. my first idea was pretty simple: an ocean of sparklers (within the intro of LBC, if they play it) - I called the security of the venue a few minutes ago and they do not allow the use of sparklers, so IF a great number of people considers to join in on the "light idea" OR A DIFFERENT IDEA we can organize buying chemlights or anything similar or something completely different (a banner, letters/signs of the names of the dead...etc. ...).

I'd use this thread as an opportunity for exchanging ideas and focus on one at the end ... at least 2 weeks before the show, so we can spread the word and organize stuff (like one person buying 5 chemlights (if "we" choose that idea - or a fund, where one or two buy a bunch and maybe then a lot cheaper...) and give them away to other people, etc.)

maybe the guys won't play LBC, but maybe this thread could be something where we can ask them for, if a great number of people expresses the same wish. IMO we should choose an idea that could work without the song.

so far.

there is just one word that I still believe in.

Chris
#Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Yup been posted loads of times.

I for one would love love love to hear this song, one of my faves.
  • skyvalleyskyvalley Posts: 184
    nice idea - so i will be there and support any plans we can handle in this arena!!
    Berlin 95 with Neil Young, Berlin 1996, Berlin 2000, Berlin 2006, Munich 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Berlin 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Berlin 2 2012
  • GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    OKAY GUYS, LET's GET IT ON.

Parallel to this thread I organize this project in the german forum.

I will look how much are chemlights...if anyone's got a better idea, please tell me. Who is possibly in? Should we make a (paypal-)fund and a few people will buy and give them away before and at the show?

We won't get 18.000 chemlights, but every 2nd person will have a lighter so nearly everyone or maybe 2/3 of the people will have light sources.

If the do NOT play LBC (which I don't believe) the beginning of the 1st encore might be a good time for the lights.

The most important thing IMO is the will of everyone making this idea true (if you like it, of course) and tell everyone before and while the show so we will get it done :)

Please response!

...and stay tuned for possible chemlight-costs and a more detailed plan within the next days.

rockNroll,
    Chris
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    LBC - ARQ -CROWN OF THORNS WILL BE PLAYED IN BERLIN..BOYS KNOW BETTER... ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Chemlights are 50 Euro cent each. If the fluid gets out it can harm your skin a little. Might be a risk, LBC won't defo not be one of the last songs. Any experiences with these lights? Any alternatives?

LIGHTERS :D

Okay, if you are in for this idea and if you are going to visit the Berlin show PLEASE spread the word about it! Send emails, tell your friends, tell before and at the show everyone you meet. When at least half of the crowd has lighters the whole thing is going to be AWESOME...

the plan is simple: tell them to use it while LBC (INTRO!/OUTRO!/while the whole song if you can^^) or at the beginning of the 1st encore when the band gets on stage... ...and - if Dimitris is right - while ARC also ;-)

THANKS!
    GetALife wrote:
    Chemlights are 50 Euro cent each. If the fluid gets out it can harm your skin a little. Might be a risk, LBC won't defo not be one of the last songs. Any experiences with these lights? Any alternatives?

LIGHTERS :D

Okay, if you are in for this idea and if you are going to visit the Berlin show PLEASE spread the word about it! Send emails, tell your friends, tell before and at the show everyone you meet. When at least half of the crowd has lighters the whole thing is going to be AWESOME...

the plan is simple: tell them to use it while LBC (INTRO!/OUTRO!/while the whole song if you can^^) or at the beginning of the 1st encore when the band gets on stage... ...and - if Dimitris is right - while ARC also ;-)

THANKS!
    be sure,will be amazing.....people in all europe talk about berlin double than the other shows...and yes..all will have lighter.. :)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I'm not going to the show :oops: :(

But something like this may work and is reasonably cheap http://www.glow-sticks.org/100-Pack-of- ... elets.html ... and may save people burning their thumbs ;)

A rainbow of colour may be nice too ... bit like the PEACE flag 8-)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    thanks for the hint :) ...but obviously these are chemlights too...

chime wrote:

But something like this may work and is reasonably cheap http://www.glow-sticks.org/100-Pack-of- ... elets.html ... and may save people burning their thumbs ;)

GetALife wrote:

chime wrote:

You asked about experience ... I've used these before and not known them to leak. People would have to wait to 'crack' them but they keep their brightest colour for at a few hours (temperature effects how bright and how long they last)

I looked on their website and it says so should all be ok

1. Are the chemical glow light products safe?
    Yes. All our chemical glow light sticks and products come in a sealed plastic case. Even if the outer casing of the glow light stick or glow light product is somehow punctured or broken open, the chemical contents are non-toxic and non-flammable. Contact with eyes or ingesting of the fluid should be avoided because irritation will result. There is also the possibility of an allergic reaction. Please keep in mind however that under normal use you will never come into contact with the fluid inside the glow light stick. Glow light products are not recommended for children under the age of 5 without adult supervision.
    okay, thanks for the info. I'll think about it and will look for a German mailorder that delivers that type of things. anyway the costs could be enormous for the short time to organize. If we'd buy for half of the crowd, we'd have 4.500 Euro to collect if we'd do it via a fund...well, I like dreams but I also like being realistic sometimes :D ... got a gig tonight...gotta prepare now. talk later :)
    chime wrote:
    GetALife wrote:

chime wrote:

You asked about experience ... I've used these before and not known them to leak. People would have to wait to 'crack' them but they keep their brightest colour for at a few hours (temperature effects how bright and how long they last)

I looked on their website and it says so should all be ok

1. Are the chemical glow light products safe?
    Yes. All our chemical glow light sticks and products come in a sealed plastic case. Even if the outer casing of the glow light stick or glow light product is somehow punctured or broken open, the chemical contents are non-toxic and non-flammable. Contact with eyes or ingesting of the fluid should be avoided because irritation will result. There is also the possibility of an allergic reaction. Please keep in mind however that under normal use you will never come into contact with the fluid inside the glow light stick. Glow light products are not recommended for children under the age of 5 without adult supervision.
    GetALife wrote:
    okay, thanks for the info. I'll think about it and will look for a German mailorder that delivers that type of things. anyway the costs could be enormous for the short time to organize. If we'd buy for half of the crowd, we'd have 4.500 Euro to collect if we'd do it via a fund...well, I like dreams but I also like being realistic sometimes :D ... got a gig tonight...gotta prepare now. talk later :)

Good luck and enjoy your gig!

Well with the bracelets if you could find a German site that did the same price you can do the whole crowd for less than £550 :lol: (price goes down the more packs you buy... more than 60 packs it's £2.99 per pack of 100)
    WOWEE ZOWEE!

chime wrote:
    GetALife wrote:

Well with the bracelets if you could find a German site that did the same price you can do the whole crowd for less than £550 :lol: (price goes down the more packs you buy... more than 60 packs it's £2.99 per pack of 100)
    chime wrote:
    GetALife wrote:

i dont know for the whole,but 10 packages,1000 of them to share to 10c members on the quote will be great idea..Ahem!!! :!: :idea:
    chime wrote:
    GetALife wrote:

i dont know for the whole,but 10 packages,1000 of them to share to 10c members on the quote will be great idea..Ahem!!! :!: :idea:

Yeah I was kinda joking about the whole crowd :P

The price per pack if you buy 10 packs is £4.99 a pack so £49 for your queue :mrgreen:

I wish I was going to Berlin 8-)
  • wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,407
    Not to put a damper on what's a very thoughtful idea, but do remember it's an outdoor show just over a week after the solstice. In all likelihood, it's going to be daylight until pretty deep into the show. So if they open with LBC for example, this might not work so well.

I'd save it for the 1st encore no matter when they play that song.

That said, it would be wonderful for not just the band, but the crowd to acknowledge the date - after all there but for the grace of chance go we
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    1´st song in first encore - GREAT idea!
    Big chance it´s just breathe, which is a great hymn to life and love - it would be an amazing thing if we all throw a big light i the air at that point if not to remember the roskilde tradegy then to celebrate life itself.. The song fits and the sun has set!
    Woooo - just writing this gives me goosebumps.
    see ya´ all
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    The Boston show in 08 was on the anniversary and I don't think it was ever even referenced.
  • wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,407
    DewieCox wrote:
    The Boston show in 08 was on the anniversary and I don't think it was ever even referenced.

Yes, but this is the 10th anniversary, back in Europe, in the neighbouring country to where it happened. I think it'll be on their minds
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
    DewieCox wrote:

Yes, but this is the 10th anniversary, back in Europe, in the neighbouring country to where it happened. I think it'll be on their minds
    im pretty sure familys of our brothers will be there..
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    DewieCox wrote:

I do think that this one will be particularly poignant and whether marked by the band or not, I think they'll be greatly touched that the fans have remembered and are willing to show respect.
    Not to put a damper on what's a very thoughtful idea, but do remember it's an outdoor show just over a week after the solstice. In all likelihood, it's going to be daylight until pretty deep into the show. So if they open with LBC for example, this might not work so well.

I'd save it for the 1st encore no matter when they play that song.

That said, it would be wonderful for not just the band, but the crowd to acknowledge the date - after all there but for the grace of chance go we

1st Encore, I think, is the best time. The sun will be set after a (hopefully) beautiful evening and the band will be in full swing. To be honest, I can't really see LBC being played that early in the evening, especially if the band are planning on marking the anniversary too.

I'm 100% behind this idea. I think it's a beautifully touching gesture of respect and rememberance. I think the glo-sticks/chem-stick idea is great as I don't smoke and having burning lighters all around me doesn't really appeal!
    I will happily contribute some cash via paypal or something. Just let us all know :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    DewieCox wrote:

Not saying they're gonna ignore it, but they might not really wanna go for the grand statement.

Now that I think about it I'm sure it was one their minds in Beantown. Ed gave a little Arc teaser when they came back for the encore, but that was the only thing.
    when Nothing as it seems finnished was night already..was the 6th song...

I bet that was incredible :D

I'd love to hear lots of Binaural and Riot Act in Berlin to be perfectly honest... but I can't see it happening :(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I still have my balloon from Nijmegen in '07 - maybe something similar would be nice?

That was THE perfect timing for that song... I dunno how they managed it, but they did! The sun set as it was being played!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    Jennytree wrote:
    I still have my balloon from Nijmegen in '07 - maybe something similar would be nice?

That was THE perfect timing for that song... I dunno how they managed it, but they did! The sun set as it was being played!

Ohhhhh balloons could be cheaper than glo-sticks too?

Mind you, didn't you have trouble getting balloons into the venue in Nijmegen? :?

I think Dave stilll may have his actually...

Jennytree wrote:

this is for the birds...
    version to see the light goes down
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZED04RDJ18

version HD from dvd
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0df7iJLr800
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I hope we get a great looking dvd of the 10' show as well :D
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136

I'm 100% behind this idea. I think it's a beautifully touching gesture of respect and rememberance. I think the glo-sticks/chem-stick idea is great as I don't smoke and having burning lighters all around me doesn't really appeal!
    I will happily contribute some cash via paypal or something. Just let us all know :)

I'd happily contribute too
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    edited May 2010
    Hey ...just wrote into our german thread about this.

I'd also say that glow sticks would be great because of the colors!! We would be a big happy, glowing crowd and I think this would do the event justice!
    We could buy them in packs of 100 for 4,30 € ... I mean not all the people have to have them, just for the people without lighters and to bring some color into it. We could do this paypal fund and all give a little money to buy -I don't know, 10 - 20 boxes? 2000 seems like a pretty big number to me. But we should just wait to see how much money we can collect and then maybe we could buy even more?

And yes, Dimitris is right, the sun was setting soon after they started playing last year. So it was already dark the most part of the concert. (Ok I have to admit, now the concert is in june, not in august :S buuuut I think, with the chem lights....the good thing is that these glow for many hours, so we would be glowing all night long :D )

Oh and sorry for my bad english tonight...it's late and my brain is already in sleeping mode...can't think about grammar now ;D
    Post edited by wolkenlos on
  • PJ SwedenPJ Sweden Posts: 855
    I am all for this great idea, wether the boys will accept or dismiss our efforts. Let´s make sure we make an effort for lives lost. And show their families we still care.

They were our friends and we WILL honor them! I know most of you agree. It will not be to show the guys on stage (who Im sure will have thoughts concerning the event passed,) but for us to feel good, even great! about saying together, that we remember and won´t forget!

WE WILL DO THIS - TOGETHER.

I know some of you, I can honestly say you are a caring, friendly, happy, and caring crowd, so let´s just make sure we make it show, at THE show....

First encore sounds like a plan, unless there is an other more apropriate suggestion.. I believe as long as everyone who cares or knows about this brings their own lightsource, in whatever form or shape, as long as permitted and safe, I say thats what we´ll do, yeah?!

On PJ´s return to stage after enc 1, that´s when we show our love.
    Just an idea ....
    Stockholm 1992-06-25
    Stockholm 2000-06-28
    Boston 2004-09-28
    Arnhem 2006-08-29
    Berlin 2006-09-23
    Copenhagen 2007-06-26
    Dublin 2010-06-22
    Berlin 2010-06-30
    Copenhagen 2012-07-10
    Stockholm 2012-07-07
    Stockholm 2014-06-28