Options

Smoking during pregnancy

PearlJamDownerPearlJamDowner Posts: 162
edited December 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
My girlfriend quit so we could have a baby but now smokes again since she is pregnant. Nothing I can say or do, she says she doesn't want to. I am so helpless and upset. Any thoughts on this?
im messed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    uhhhh. i hate to see this. i wish there was something i could say to help.

but all i can think of is, to punch her in the throat.

know that's not what you want to hear. and it's not the "right" thing to say, but it makes me really fucking angry.

i feel for ya. :(

good luck.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I have no advice. I'm sure you've told her of the dangers etc. There doesn't really seem to be anything you can do.

A girl I know smoked her entire pregnancy. It's disgusting. She was 8 months pregnant and HUGE and walking through the city with me and smoking a cigarette and I was so embarrassed! People were staring at her and she just didn't care. Poor little baby.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    My Mom smoked while pregnant with my older brother

He's fine

Of course the dangers weren't known when she was pregnant with him
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    She's still hiding it from me and than lying about how many she has had and than I bring it up and she gets pissed off that im not being supportive of her
    im messed
  • Options
    She's still hiding it from me and than lying about how many she has had and than I bring it up and she gets pissed off that im not being supportive of her

How far along is she ?

• Options
    8 weeks
    im messed
  • Options
    8 weeks

Wow...early

I wonder if it's worse to smoke earlier in the pregnancy or later ?

I'm glad my wife never smoked and had to try and quit

• Options

If she's going to do it behind your back there's nothing you can do really. that's pretty disrespectful. How do you know she's smoking?

Just ask that she cut down as much as she can.

Ask your doctor, they may have better advice.

Good Luck and congrats!
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    i smelled it on her a couple times than found her smokes and than mentioned it, she said she hasnt had any in like a week, cause she wanted to have a couple with a friend or something last week, i was livid, she said 2 smokes wont hurt......
    im messed
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    If she's going to do it behind your back there's nothing you can do really. that's pretty disrespectful. How do you know she's smoking?

Maybe not disrespectful. Maybe she does understand that it's not the right thing to do but is not very proud of it. To quit smoking is very difficult. The physical withdrawals don't last that long but the psychological 'attachments' do. How many people have 'tried quitting' numerous times?

She does need help with this. She does have a pretty good reason so hopefully she would be motivated. Do you guys have 'quit smoking' clinics where you are? Could her doctor help her?

It's a tough thing to do!
  • Options
    she went to some seminar bullshit and quit like 6 months ago!!!! she picked the worst time to start again....what a tragic thing
    im messed
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Sorry, but I have to do this.

Nintendo to the rescue!!!
    stopsmokingcoach.jpg
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Maybe not disrespectful. Maybe she does understand that it's not the right thing to do but is not very proud of it. To quit smoking is very difficult. The physical withdrawals don't last that long but the psychological 'attachments' do. How many people have 'tried quitting' numerous times?

She does need help with this. She does have a pretty good reason so hopefully she would be motivated. Do you guys have 'quit smoking' clinics where you are? Could her doctor help her?

ya know, i get that. i dip. nicotine is a bitch. and i drink like its my job sometimes. i wont say this to my family friends or GF but i'm addicted to the nicotine, and borderline alcoholic , but i can say this, that if my gf were prego, i would and could stop the drinking just so i can get into daddy mode. and it wouldnt even be me with a life inside of me.

i just really think that if you dont quit drinking or smoking while prego that its the worst.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    All of our mothers smoked while pregnant and we're all fine. Is it ideal? No! But it's not the end of the earth either. I'm sure the kids will be fine. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    All of our mothers smoked while pregnant and we're all fine. Is it ideal? No! But it's not the end of the earth either. I'm sure the kids will be fine. :)
    You are not fine...

In fact...

You are FAR from fine.......

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Hello Wolfy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    wolfbear wrote:
    You are not fine...

In fact...

Hello Wolfy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi there! San Diego was fine! :D
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    i just really think that if you dont quit drinking or smoking while prego that its the worst.
    It certainly sets a bad precedent. Having a kid requires sacrifices. She doesn't seem all that invested in it so far. Sorry to judge, but it pisses me off.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    wolfbear wrote:
    You are not fine...

In fact...

Hello Wolfy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi there! San Diego was fine! :D
    Yeah well.....

Im going to PHILLY!!!!

hehehehehehe........................

Boy that just sounds ridiculous.....hehehehehe

Ill take some pictures of the crackheads and the street beggars..........

And I will send them out as Christmas cards....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    My girlfriend quit so we could have a baby but now smokes again since she is pregnant. Nothing I can say or do, she says she doesn't want to. I am so helpless and upset. Any thoughts on this?

so shes totally disrespected you. thats nice. and how long did she 'quit' for??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    wolfbear wrote:
    My mom didn't. :P

Chances are the kid will be fine.. but are the chances worth a gross habit???
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    My mom didn't. :P

Chances are the kid will be fine.. but are the chances worth a gross habit???

no, the chances are not worth it at all.

and all the people saying that "my mom did it" or other shit like that needs to wake up.

my mom smoked and drank while prego. with me. i've never smoked a day in my life and have some breathing issues. nothing serious but they are there. and i have issues with drinking.

this is a big deal, at least to the OP. the amount of, "it sucks but i turned out fine" shit actually makes me sick to my stomach.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    That is pretty sad that she won't give it up for this cause i would venture to say she probably will never quit ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    It's not something I would do, as I would be very aware that i'm carrying a new life inside me. Everything I do would effect my child so I just couldn't.

However, I am not a smoker and nor have I ever been. I have absolutely no idea how hard it is to quit but I have witnessed others and it seems like hell. Give her a break. Maybe Redrock's right and she's ashamed of what she's doing as she knows it's not ideal. TALK to her about it, let her know how worried you are about her and your baby. Make sure she knows you're willing to help her cut down at least, if not quit completely. Doctors nowadays can do wonders for smokers and aiding them to quit, suggest this to her.

You say she was livid because you asked her about it? Maybe she just doesn't like to feel like your judging her and telling her she's wrong. She'll be feeling fragile enough without the added stress of being told that some of her actions are wrong. If you talk to her on a level and let her know that your actions are out of love and concern, she might not be so hostile and secretive. She might even attend another seminar if you remind her of how proud you were the last time she quit.

Remember, smokers who are quitting need encouragement, not judgement.

Good luck... oh and congratulations! :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    wolfbear wrote:

Yeah because of you're medical degree, right? Oh...
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

I think it's completely disrespectful to carry someones child and lie to them about smoking while pregnant. I'm sure it's really difficult to quit, but to hide it and be dishonest is definitely disrespectful.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    :oops: I smoked ciggs and weed, and drank through all my babies. I am not proud of it, and hid it.
    These crutches are there for reasons, that even being pregnant doesn't stop you. :oops:
    I didn't do a pack a day or drink myself into a coma, but I still did it.
    :oops: and not proud.
    My Excellent Doctor knew about my addictions.
    My kids were all born healthy, thank God, and still are.
    I still smoke and drink but still, not to excess.
    ( although those that read my posts may beg to differ ;) )
    and now, this is the bigger issue. I will throttle my kids if I catch them smoking, or anyone elses for that matter.
    Smoking is an addiction as well as alcohol.
    Lucky are those that don't have addictive genes.

I see babies being born to " Perfect " parents, that are condemed to stuggle.
    and again I think " Thank God mine are healthy".
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Quitting smoking is hard. I say this during my 4th attempt to quit in the 2 years since I re-started. If it was just a case of deciding to quit, then not many people would smoke at all. You need support, not judgement.

I gave up smoking quite easily when I discovered I was pregnant for the first time. I never struggled at all, and I'd been smoking for 5 years at that point. I never really bothered with smoking again. Not for nearly 15 years. On the afternoon my divorce petition came through I bought myself a bottle of red and a pack of 20 and over 18 months later I'm still smoking. I am finding it really difficult to give up this time and I don't have the added strain and pressure of a pregnancy to cope with. I would imagine that she feels shitty enough about it herself, hence the denial and deception about it. Maybe she'd be more honest if she thought she'd not get called out and ground down for screwing up. There's nothing like throwing peoples mistakes back at them to make a situation worse.

To the OP: I understand completely why you are worried. It's your baby's long term future you are worried about. I suggest you look for some support for yourself and maybe you'll be able to help your partner to break her addiction.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    tell her to quit smoking cigarettes and start weed is more healthy,, 8-)
    just kidding..
    i think u have to explain nicely that is better not too..but u can force anyone to quit..maybe go to a doctor to explain the dangerous,but i dont think is a big issue,,most of the cases the babys are just fine..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ya... that sucks... My sister-in-law smoked while she was pregnant, and it drove me nuts...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    wolfbear wrote:
    this is very true

but
    do whatever you can to get her to stop-as it is definitely better all the way around
    and tell her doctor-perhaps the doctor can scare her by explaining the dangers
    she is probably smoking way more than she is telling you
    offer a cash incentive something to get her to stop

and its not good for her to smoke when you have a newborn in the house either-nip it in the bud