Options

Smoking during pregnancy

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    in this day and age of 2009 it makes me sick to my stomach that people could do something so utterly stupid and fucking idiotic. Fuck man, lets just start our kids off on a bad note, no big deal. If you're not responsible enought to quit smoking or drinking during pregnancy, then you're not ready to have kids in my opinion. Its disgusting and pathetic.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    in this day and age of 2009 it makes me sick to my stomach that people could do something so utterly stupid and fucking idiotic. Fuck man, lets just start our kids off on a bad note, no big deal. If you're not responsible enought to quit smoking or drinking during pregnancy, then you're not ready to have kids in my opinion. Its disgusting and pathetic.

agreed
    one of my co-workers is having her baby next week and has been smoking the entire time...it is hard to understand especially considering its 2009 and we now know the dangers
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    All of our mothers smoked while pregnant and we're all fine. Is it ideal? No! But it's not the end of the earth either. I'm sure the kids will be fine. :)

We also grew up without car seats too and in houses with lead-based paint... I'm sure if we went back to that our kids will be fine...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    peacegirl wrote:

agreed
    one of my co-workers is having her baby next week and has been smoking the entire time...it is hard to understand especially considering its 2009 and we now know the dangers

I personally would not do it as I find smoking disgusting and inconsiderate... however, smoking is an addiction. It really bloody hard to kick addictions like that. Now, if she's still on 40 a day by the time birth comes round and she hasn't even tried then fine, damn her all you like, but remember that it takes time and a lot of will power.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    That makes me so sick seeing women who do that... :evil: that's just lovely, putting poisons into a helpless baby!! :evil:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    peacegirl wrote:

agreed

I personally would not do it as I find smoking disgusting and inconsiderate... however, smoking is an addiction. It really bloody hard to kick addictions like that. Now, if she's still on 40 a day by the time birth comes round and she hasn't even tried then fine, damn her all you like, but remember that it takes time and a lot of will power.

I used to be a smoker...smoked for 10 years so I know it's tough to quit
  • Options
    peacegirl wrote:
    peacegirl wrote:
    agreed

I used to be a smoker...smoked for 10 years so I know it's tough to quit

Well as I said earlier, I'm not and having never quit I can only assume how hard it is. I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of others. Personally I don't actually understand how anyone can't quit as soon as they find out they're carrying a baby but they don't. I think they at least need the offer of support before being told they're wrong and disgusting.

But that's just me, I've never smoked so I can only assume. :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    smoking is bad for everyone but stress is also passed on to your baby. Having to sneak means she's already feeling the dreaded quilt of motherhood (absolutely everything is Moms fault!)
    if she can't quit cause its just too stressful hopefully she is cutting way back and her people will support her efforts.
    Its a process learned to put others before your own needs thats parenthood.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I am a long term smoker, and yes I work in healthcare and I know all about the risks relating to smoking.

It's not good for you, good for your unborn child, or for those around you.

But I am a little surprised at how little understanding & compassion some of you seem to have. Smoking is an addiction, it's really not easy to give up, I have given up three times and every time when things get tough I went back to my old habit. I gave up when I was pregnant and completely fell to pieces, there were circumstances surrounding my pregnancy that made it a very difficult time for me. In the end I started again, I spoke to my midwife and she encouraged me to smoke as little as I could etc so I ended up on say 5 a day for my pregnancy. If it was my partner I would talk to her, find out what's going on with her, how is she coping with the pregnancy? Is she stressed/afraid/worried? Everytime I've quit I've gone back to it for emotional reasons, the physical cravings pass in about three or so days, it's the psycological stuff that's the hard stuff to get away from.

Yes in an ideal world I wouldn't smoke, but i do smoke, so I try to be considerate whilst doing it. At home I go outside and sit in the yard. I would never dream of insisting that I smoke in a non-smokers house. I know it's a bad habit but I try not to subject anyone else to it passively.

Talk to her, with love, not with condemnation.

P.s. My 12 year old son is a big healthy lad, taller than me and determined not to smoke.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    the wolf wrote:
    uhhhh. i hate to see this. i wish there was something i could say to help.

but all i can think of is, to punch her in the throat.

know that's not what you want to hear. and it's not the "right" thing to say, but it makes me really fucking angry.

i feel for ya. :(

good luck.

Yep thats what I'd want to do ... it pisses me off when I see such disregard for the unborn baby.What chance is there that she will stop smoking after the baby is born? If she wasn't able to consider it in utero.An addiction can be stopped when it comes down to being responsible for another humans health.
    I have worked with kids all my adult life and there is something really sad when a kid stinks of smoke,it get everywhere,in their toys,clothes,nappies,everywhere.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    But I am a little surprised at how little understanding & compassion some of you seem to have.

My first compassion resides with that unborn child that didnt have the choice to quit smoking or drinking or whatever. That's what is most important. If you're that addicted to something, dont get pregnant. Deal with your addiction first, then get pregnant. Otherwise, you are unfit for the job.

but you are right, when dealing with a spouse, you should discuss and approach the issue with care.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    If you're that addicted to something, dont get pregnant. Deal with your addiction first, then get pregnant. Otherwise, you are unfit for the job.

I will try not to get uppity with you about what you said and will try not to take what you said personally - which isn't easy. Suffice to say that my son was a very happy welcome surprise. I also think you are somewhat judgemental to say the bit about being 'unfit for the job'. It would be great to be perfect and to live in a perfect world, but none of us are perfect and this certainly isn't a perfect world. We are all human with human weaknesses unfortunately for some of us that happens to be an addiction to nicotine.
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I'm not sure if the Law was passed or not but there was a town I heard on the news where they wanted to ban smoking in your own car if there was a child present

Not sure whats worse 2nd hand smoke or directly smoking when the baby is the womb still ?

Neither are good obviously...Having lost my Step Dad this August to Lung Cancer it's not a pretty site
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Claireack wrote:
    I am a long term smoker, and yes I work in healthcare and I know all about the risks relating to smoking.

It's not good for you, good for your unborn child, or for those around you.

But I am a little surprised at how little understanding & compassion some of you seem to have. Smoking is an addiction, it's really not easy to give up, I have given up three times and every time when things get tough I went back to my old habit. I gave up when I was pregnant and completely fell to pieces, there were circumstances surrounding my pregnancy that made it a very difficult time for me. In the end I started again, I spoke to my midwife and she encouraged me to smoke as little as I could etc so I ended up on say 5 a day for my pregnancy. If it was my partner I would talk to her, find out what's going on with her, how is she coping with the pregnancy? Is she stressed/afraid/worried? Everytime I've quit I've gone back to it for emotional reasons, the physical cravings pass in about three or so days, it's the psycological stuff that's the hard stuff to get away from.

Yes in an ideal world I wouldn't smoke, but i do smoke, so I try to be considerate whilst doing it. At home I go outside and sit in the yard. I would never dream of insisting that I smoke in a non-smokers house. I know it's a bad habit but I try not to subject anyone else to it passively.

Talk to her, with love, not with condemnation.

P.s. My 12 year old son is a big healthy lad, taller than me and determined not to smoke.

Sorry, no compassion here. My mom smoked with me and thankfully I was born without any physical defects. She STILL SMOKED the first half of my life that I lived there. No one's addressing this either. This lady needs to stop for good, not just while she was pregnant. Secondhand smoke is horrible. Speaking from EXPERIENCE as a kid. I have had a horrible cough that can cause me to vomit from coughing so much. Why? Well, when I cough people think I'm a smoker. Nope, never ever touched it. Wonder why EH? I get it whenever I get the tiniest bit sick and it stays for 1-2 months after I get over being sick. Thanks Mom.

Yeah, compassion? My ass!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    If you're that addicted to something, dont get pregnant. Deal with your addiction first, then get pregnant. Otherwise, you are unfit for the job.

I will try not to get uppity with you about what you said and will try not to take what you said personally - which isn't easy. Suffice to say that my son was a very happy welcome surprise. I also think you are somewhat judgemental to say the bit about being 'unfit for the job'. It would be great to be perfect and to live in a perfect world, but none of us are perfect and this certainly isn't a perfect world. We are all human with human weaknesses unfortunately for some of us that happens to be an addiction to nicotine.

That's fine. I understand that not all things are planned. But my point is that if you're not willing to quit something that is factually 100% terrible for a defensless fetus, for the betterment of another humans well-being, then maybe you should reconsider what you are doing. And the 'unfit for the job' thing is implied for people that are pregnant by choice and have not tackled their addictions beforehand.
    I dont care what the situation would be, but hypothetically if I were a pregnent woman, I would put ANY addictions down for the mere 9 months that could reflect on the health of a person that will live an entire lifetime. that 9 months seems pretty trivial for someone elses well-being. if I had a livin, breathing person in my belly, you better believe that I would weigh the implications of ever single ounce of anything that went into my body.
    it's all about choices and will power.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Our doctor told my ex that it would be more harmful to the baby for her to be stressed and suffering withdrawl than it would be to smoke infrequently. In fact, we were told that the most serious side effect was lowered birth weight. Both kids were 8 lbs plus. I'm not excusing the fact that she smoked. I didn't like it and tried to convince her not to. SHE didnt like it and did try to quit, but was only able to cut down. Looking at it from her perspective, and as an ex-smoker myself, I can only imagine what it would be like to be going thru all of the things she went thru in those pregnancies while also trying to deal with nicotine withdrawl. Anyone who can say 'no compassion' is lookin for some serious karma.
  • Options
    Anyone who can say 'no compassion' is lookin for some serious karma.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Karma and how it will probably come back to someone who smokes while pregnant.

As far as compassion goes, I am very compassionate to the difficulty in quiting an addiction. I just find MORE compassion for the unborn child and how he/she relies on the mothers EVERY decision.

i'm really sorry to anyone who ever had to go through this, but it's a very serious matter. And to the OP, I wish there was an easy way to get you girlfriend to quit, but I think it varies from person to person on how they need to approach it. Good luck with it, the best thing you can do is be as supportive as possible.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I really don't know what you can do. Obviously, she doesn't care about what she's doing to the baby. What can you do? I know people who have done this and it's just sad imo.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    Smoking while pregnant is believed to increase the risk of SIDS. That alone should be enough of a reason to quit.

I know one woman who smoked during pregnancy who actually lost her baby to SIDS at six weeks. The idea that her actions may have contributed to the baby's death makes her feel terrible.
  • Options
    Things aren't always black and white, there is a lot of grey in the world.

To the OP, talk to her.
  • Options
    Smoking while pregnant is believed to increase the risk of SIDS. That alone should be enough of a reason to quit.

I know one woman who smoked during pregnancy who actually lost her baby to SIDS at six weeks. The idea that her actions may have contributed to the baby's death makes her feel terrible.
    this comment alone makes me feel sick
    im messed
  • Options
    Any woman that smokes during a pregnancy should have their reproductive organs ripped out right after the baby comes to ensure that she's never in that situation again.

"Oh but it's an addiction you just don't understand!" blah blah blah... Yeah so are lots of things yet somehow people stop every day. It's called determination and willpower you selfish cunts. :evil:
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    Its crazy how some mothers read every pregnancy book and wont have the slightest food or intake that might harm their baby, right down to the last coffee bean, and other mother's will smoke and drink while with child.

Not saying I don't understand her addiction (not that I smoke), my kid'll have to live with mercury poisoning because if you think i'm going to give up sushi for 9 months you have another thing coming.

Then again, it'll have Japanese genes in it, so I'm sure it'll be resistant to any harm sushi might do to your average baby ;)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    she does have a pregnancy book that she's been reading and making me read and shit. We had a horrific fight tonight that started by me bringing up smoking...she immediately snapped on me and than of course i get angry.....just a horrible situation.
    im messed
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    she does have a pregnancy book that she's been reading and making me read and shit. We had a horrific fight tonight that started by me bringing up smoking...she immediately snapped on me and than of course i get angry.....just a horrible situation.

so she agreed to give up smoking so she could conceive, right? why did she do that? was it so youd agree to a child?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    shes obviously hiding it from you so she knows its wrong, she is probably feeling guilty... when she lashes out at you its probably because she is very defensive about her guilt or something.
    hopefully it works out for you, her and the baby. perhaps someone you know that is close to her can try and talk with her about your concerns, sometimes it helps to hear the same advice coming from someone else?

whatever happens i hope you guys sort it out, and she starts to think twice about what she is doing... you're trying the best you can, good luck!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    No health-care expert is gonna advise it. But honestly, my wife's mother smoked through all four of her pregnancies, and all her kids are fine. Healthy birth weights, and apparently they're pretty smart too. 2 are Pharmacists, one is a dentist, and my wife is an Ultrasonographer.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    No health-care expert is gonna advise it. But honestly, my wife's mother smoked through all four of her pregnancies, and all her kids are fine. Healthy birth weights, and apparently they're pretty smart too. 2 are Pharmacists, one is a dentist, and my wife is an Ultrasonographer.
    thanks a lot man, you've always been one of my favourites on the board
    im messed
  • Options

so she agreed to give up smoking so she could conceive, right? why did she do that? was it so youd agree to a child?
    yes that's why she quit, she quit for 6 months or so....I am just so
    distraught over all this, I am constantly googling smoking and pregnancy......I got "the end" playing....im crying....I dunno what to do.
    im messed
  • Options
    thanks a lot man, you've always been one of my favourites on the board

I'm not promoting it by any means. My wife is pregnant at the moment, and there's no way in hell I would want her to take a single puff off a cigarette. Hell I get pissed if somebody is smoking near her right now. But I'm just saying, its not always as bad as "they" say.
    "It's all happening"