Options

Smoking during pregnancy

Comments

• Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I smoked very heavily for 10+ years and successfully quit in 2007 the first time I ever tried and found it quite easy to be honest. But I have a lot of will power.

I had surgery where I got 35 stitches and the doctor told me to try not to smoke if I could while I was healing in the first 2 weeks because cigarette smoke stops the blood from circulating to the skin and my cut wouldn't heal properly. He said every cigarette I smoked equalled an hour of not healing....so if I smoked my normal 20 cigarettes, my skin wouldn be healing for only 4 hours a day and my recovery would be a LOT longer. I didn't smoke at all for the 2 weeks and as soon as he saw my scar he knew I hadn't smoked because it had healed so well.

So what the fuck does it do to a little baby inside? It may not be THAT bad as people are saying....but it's still nowhere near fucking good or even okay and the only person who may be able to drive that fact home is a doctor imo.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    so it's ok to get an abortion, but it's not ok if a woman decicdes to smoke while she's pregnant :? :roll: Just pointing out some of the hipocracy that Im seein inn this thread.
  • Options
    prfctlefts wrote:
    so it's ok to get an abortion, but it's not ok if a woman decicdes to smoke while she's pregnant :? :roll: Just pointing out some of the hipocracy that Im seein inn this thread.

yeah, cuz anyone in this thread is advocating abortion... :roll:

you're telling me that you can't separate the two issues in your mind?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    prfctlefts wrote:

what hypocrisy????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Anyone who can say 'no compassion' is lookin for some serious karma.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Karma and how it will probably come back to someone who smokes while pregnant.

As far as compassion goes, I am very compassionate to the difficulty in quiting an addiction. I just find MORE compassion for the unborn child and how he/she relies on the mothers EVERY decision.

i'm really sorry to anyone who ever had to go through this, but it's a very serious matter. And to the OP, I wish there was an easy way to get you girlfriend to quit, but I think it varies from person to person on how they need to approach it. Good luck with it, the best thing you can do is be as supportive as possible.
    The karma you mention has everything to do with the mom, and nothing to do with you...but if you judge her without compassion based on one behaviour you read about on a message board, you could bring it on yourself (if there is such a thing). As for your comments re: compassion - that contradicts what you said earlier, but makes perfect sense.
    yes that's why she quit, she quit for 6 months or so....I am just so
    distraught over all this, I am constantly googling smoking and pregnancy......I got "the end" playing....im crying....I dunno what to do.
    Not to downplay the seriousness of the issue, but you're taking it way too hard man...your baby will be fine. Mr.Pistachio hit the nail on the head here - the best thing you can do is be supportive.
    All the high n mighty types gettin all fuckin indignant do NOTHING to help, and likely make it worse. They obviously have no understanding of addiction, and don't realize that their harsh criticism and judgement can cause defensive, dig-my-heels-in reactions. Gentle persuasion is much more likely to have a positive outcome. I really hope things turn out for you, and she can quit...just as much for your sanity as for the babies health. You seem like a pretty caring guy, and I know how brutal worrying about a baby in utero can be...Best of luck.

I notice no one acknowledged or addressed my point that doctors (more than one, yes) told us that the stress of quitting and withdrawl is harder on the babies developement than occasional smoking.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I notice no one acknowledged or addressed my point that doctors (more than one, yes) told us that the stress of quitting and withdrawl is harder on the babies developement than occasional smoking.

I acknowledged it in my head, it's what my midwife told me too. Just felt I should keep my mouth shut.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:

I acknowledged it in my head, it's what my midwife told me too. Just felt I should keep my mouth shut.
    why? cause it will be insinuated that you're a horrible mother, child abuser and social pariah? don't let that stop you :roll:
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    why? cause it will be insinuated that you're a horrible mother, child abuser and social pariah? don't let that stop you

Pretty much.
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    First of all, I am not and have never been a smoker. My mom smoked through her entire pregnancy and I'm fine. I have a friend who says his mom smoked while she was pregnant with him and he has a heart condition because of it. I pointed out to him that my friend's baby had open heart surgery when he was 18 months old and she never smoked, so how's that possible.
    I'm pregnant right now and I have to say it irritates me a little if I walk into a group of people that are smoking and they all start scrambling around so the smoke avoids me. What the hell? I'm the one who's pregnant, you're just sitting there minding your business. If anyone should be scrambling around to avoid the smoke it should be me...
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    prfctlefts wrote:

Oh that's not okay either, but we're definitely not going down that road in a thread that has nothing to do with it ;)
  • Options
    prfctlefts wrote:

Oh that's not okay either, but we're definitely not going down that road in a thread that has nothing to do with it ;)

I wasn't trying to derail the thread.. sorry. I just call it like I see it,but maybe i'm wrong.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340

Maybe a couple should try to stop smoking whilst discussing starting a family so that the stress is over and done with before a child is conceived. I know not everyone is lucky to have such forward planning, as sometimes pregnancy can be unexpected.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:

Maybe a couple should try to stop smoking whilst discussing starting a family so that the stress is over and done with before a child is conceived. I know not everyone is lucky to have such forward planning, as sometimes pregnancy can be unexpected.
    Yes, they should... but this is exactly what I'm talking about....does anyone really think smokers don't know all this shit? It goes without saying, so when it IS said, it comes off as preachy, and really does nothing to improve the situation for anyone. I mean...the fact that you add that disclaimer seems to acknowledge that you know you're being preachy and unrealistic (unless you want to preach abstinence while your at it ;) )
    Not only does everyone not have the 'luck' of foresight, but there is also the possibility of relapse, as shown in this thread. But if it makes you people feel better to look down your noses at addicts, fill yer boots.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I mean...the fact that you add that disclaimer seems to acknowledge that you know you're being preachy and unrealistic (unless you want to preach abstinence while your at it ;) )
    Not only does everyone not have the 'luck' of foresight, but there is also the possibility of relapse, as shown in this thread. But if it makes you people feel better to look down your noses at addicts, fill yer boots.

I'm being preachy? I don't mean to be, I only express my own intentions. I am an addict, I don't think I can look down my own nose.

Tbh, nothing disgusts me more than seeing a pregnant woman smoking or drinking alcohol. The same goes for someone smoking around a baby or child. While you can say it's hard to give up smoking (I've done it myself, and didn't find it at all difficult but I was never a heavy smoker), I can't think of any better motivation to stop smoking than the growth of a foetus within you. The physical addiction (and the stress associated with it) is over within a week, I think it's worth risking about a week of some stress for 30+ weeks of nicotine (and other chemicals)-free baby growth.

Of course it's your choice whether you smoke or not during pregnancy. But, I cannot comprehend how you wouldn't want your child to be born as fit and healthy as it could be. Nature is cruel enough as it is without the parents adding to it. I say 'you' in its plural form, not directed at anyone in particular :)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:

I'm being preachy? I don't mean to be, I only express my own intentions. I am an addict, I don't think I can look down my own nose.
    If by intentions you mean opinion - it's not opinion, it's fact. Facts that all smokers know well. If someone repeatedly gave you (not in this case, but usually unsolicited) advice about something that was common knowledge, would you regard it as preachy?
    Jennytree wrote:
    Tbh, nothing disgusts me more than seeing a pregnant woman smoking or drinking alcohol. The same goes for someone smoking around a baby or child.
    Nope, not looking down any noses here ^^
    Jennytree wrote:
    While you can say it's hard to give up smoking (I've done it myself, and didn't find it at all difficult but I was never a heavy smoker), I can't think of any better motivation to stop smoking than the growth of a foetus within you.
    again, you qualify a generalized statement. 'wasn't difficult, but I was never a heavy smoker'. It can be very difficult for people that smoke heavily....it's different for everyone. and again...I'm sure most women that become pregnant are fully aware that their pregnancy is the best reason they've had to quit.
    Jennytree wrote:
    The physical addiction (and the stress associated with it) is over within a week, I think it's worth risking about a week of some stress for 30+ weeks of nicotine (and other chemicals)-free baby growth.
    Really??? I haven't had a smoke in nearly five months and I still crawl walls for nicotine in certain situations. The physical addiction is not nearly as stressful as the psychological addiction.
  • Options
    It's not something I would do, as I would be very aware that i'm carrying a new life inside me. Everything I do would effect my child so I just couldn't.

However, I am not a smoker and nor have I ever been. I have absolutely no idea how hard it is to quit but I have witnessed others and it seems like hell. Give her a break. Maybe Redrock's right and she's ashamed of what she's doing as she knows it's not ideal. TALK to her about it, let her know how worried you are about her and your baby. Make sure she knows you're willing to help her cut down at least, if not quit completely. Doctors nowadays can do wonders for smokers and aiding them to quit, suggest this to her.

You say she was livid because you asked her about it? Maybe she just doesn't like to feel like your judging her and telling her she's wrong. She'll be feeling fragile enough without the added stress of being told that some of her actions are wrong. If you talk to her on a level and let her know that your actions are out of love and concern, she might not be so hostile and secretive. She might even attend another seminar if you remind her of how proud you were the last time she quit.

Remember, smokers who are quitting need encouragement, not judgement.

Good luck... oh and congratulations! :mrgreen:
    Seriously enlightened post for somebody who's never smoked :)

I'm off them almost three weeks now. First time I gave up was simple 'yeh, I'm stubborn, how hard can it be... nobody else can do it but I will... I'll show em'. When you end up smoking again, you realise how tough it is, I think the first time is the easiest. Ironically, this is a crazy and maybe stressful time for her so it's the toughest of toughest times to quit.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    she does have a pregnancy book that she's been reading and making me read and shit. We had a horrific fight tonight that started by me bringing up smoking...she immediately snapped on me and than of course i get angry.....just a horrible situation.

so she agreed to give up smoking so she could conceive, right? why did she do that? was it so youd agree to a child?
    yes that's why she quit, she quit for 6 months or so....I am just so
    distraught over all this, I am constantly googling smoking and pregnancy......I got "the end" playing....im crying....I dunno what to do.

have you spoken to her about why she felt the need to take up smoking again??? 6 months without is such a positive step for her. but now smoking again with the baby and all, shes undone that good work. talk to her but above all be there for her.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    You hear that quite a bit from smoking moms but in fact it is complete bullshit. Every cigarette you smoke while you are pregnant is potentially much worse than any perceived stress cause by stopping.

That said, I think that most babies end up ok when their mom smokes or drinks. I had a few friends smoke while pregnant and their babies are all ok but they all have quirky little things like allergies and bad skin ailments that the other "non-smoking" kids that I know (and have) don't seem to have (yet). My mom smoked with me and aside from being born with a hole in my heart I was ok.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    You hear that quite a bit from smoking moms but in fact it is complete bullshit. Every cigarette you smoke while you are pregnant is potentially much worse than any perceived stress cause by stopping.
    Is that a fact?....
    I didn't make this up...maybe you hear it from smoking moms because it's a generally accepted statement. Of course people use it as an excuse, and I honestly don't know if the advice is based on (good) science, but I think the focus is on harm reduction.
    Perceived? Where does perception come into the equation? Is stress itself perceived? Or are pregnant women only perceiving additional stress by trying to overcome their addiction?
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Songburst wrote:
    Is that a fact?....
    I didn't make this up...maybe you hear it from smoking moms because it's a generally accepted statement. Of course people use it as an excuse, and I honestly don't know if the advice is based on (good) science, but I think the focus is on harm reduction.
    Perceived? Where does perception come into the equation? Is stress itself perceived? Or are pregnant women only perceiving additional stress by trying to overcome their addiction?

Well during our prenatal classes this topic came up a few times whenever a health care professional was at the class the statement was dismissed and the doctor or midwife invariably said if you smoke a pack a day and you quit today, your baby has a much lower chance of having any birth defects. They said that it is a myth that the stress caused by quitting is potentially worse than the benefits seen by quitting.

As far as the perception of stress, it depends on how you look at addiction. Typically addicts view addiction as a disease and not a choice and this view is why they usually fail when they try becasue it's so easy to blame a disease. In reality, you don't have to smoke. What if there were no smokes available? Would you die? This is not aimed at you either by any means -- it is just a generalization.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    From here on in, and for the rest of her life, Mum is going to sacrifice alot more than her ciggies.
    Just be grateful baby wont be born addicted to smack.
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:

Well during our prenatal classes this topic came up a few times whenever a health care professional was at the class the statement was dismissed and the doctor or midwife invariably said if you smoke a pack a day and you quit today, your baby has a much lower chance of having any birth defects. They said that it is a myth that the stress caused by quitting is potentially worse than the benefits seen by quitting.

this is the common knowledge I was talking about. EVERYONE knows that if you quit today your baby will be healthier. No one is disputing that. Also, moms are encouraged to cut down as much as possible….I think if you’re smoking a pack a day, you’re not making much of an effort, and are likely using the advice as an excuse.
    …would you rather take the opinion of two OB/GYN’s and a family practitioner, or a mid-wife/pre-natal teacher? I don’t think it’s a myth, and like I said…if it’s not based in science (which it may be), it’s focused on harm reduction. That probably means they’ve looked at the relapse factor, the affects of trying to quit and failing, the relationship tension between spouses, the guilt, etc etc, and determined that if sneaking the odd smoke helps to reduce the stress of those situations, it's less harmful.
    Songburst wrote:
    As far as the perception of stress, it depends on how you look at addiction. Typically addicts view addiction as a disease and not a choice and this view is why they usually fail when they try becasue it's so easy to blame a disease. In reality, you don't have to smoke. What if there were no smokes available? Would you die? This is not aimed at you either by any means -- it is just a generalization.
    Yes, it’s a choice. You’ve got to realize overcoming a dependancy is not as easy as choosing to do so. Do you have any idea how smug ‘What’s the problem? Just quit!” sounds to an addict? No, smokers wouldn’t die without smokes. Would they be stressed? I bet they would.... Disease or no, making it a choice not to smoke doesn't give a person relief from withdrawl.
  • Options
    Get her one of these:

http://www.theelectroniccigarette.co.uk/shop/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWImxNj ... r_embedded

The Electronic Cigarette is a device that simulates the functions of a cigarette without the harmful chemicals. It uses a small replaceable cartridge filled with a small dose of nicotine and flavoured propylene glycol liquid, utilized and powered by a rechargeable battery. When the user inhales on the device, the air flow is detected by a pneumatic airflow sensor switch. A microprocessor then activates an atomizer which injects tiny droplets of the liquid into the flowing air and vaporises the liquid.

A guy at work has one and swears by it. Plus you can 'smoke' it indoors at pubs, bars etc because it doesn't actually produce smoke.
  • Options
    bad hype

my mommie smoked during her pregnancy and drank wine and it didnt hurt me as much as when she dropped me on my head
  • Options
    emptyglass wrote:
    bad hype

my mommie smoked during her pregnancy and drank wine and it didnt hurt me as much as when she dropped me on my head
    fuck, I couldn't even LIST the amount of people I know who smoked and/or drank whilst pregnant... and yet all their kids turned out ok to my knowledge. Of COURSE it's irresponsible in the face of medical stuff... and I would never suggest cigarettes are not bad... but I guess the level of danger depends on which medical expert you talk to... much like the way eggs were bad for us one day, the next they were almost a superfood :roll:

If she's sneaking cigarettes (like many said) she's already feeling shit and knows she's doing wrong. Then she has the other half (who's not going through all this body stuff with her) lecturing her... that just makes things more stressful. How about setting goals for her? Say you'll do a certain percentage MORE of housework if you KNOW she's not smoking... or you'll do everything on a Saturday... or you'll take her to her favourite place.

I've found that quitting smoking HAS to be about the positives... not cos it's a must or cos people are lecturing you... that would be impossible. I've never even considered quitting when my life was anything less than wonderful... you need to be in a great place mentally and emotionally to do it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Oh boo hoo.....poor girl......blah blah blah.....

She just needs to grow some fucking balls and QUIT! :x

How about an update....any progress OP?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    my biggest fear whilst pregnant was that my kids would grow up to be conservatives. or worse... lawyers. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    emptyglass wrote:
    bad hype

fuck, I couldn't even LIST the amount of people I know who smoked and/or drank whilst pregnant... and yet all their kids turned out ok to my knowledge. Of COURSE it's irresponsible in the face of medical stuff... and I would never suggest cigarettes are not bad... but I guess the level of danger depends on which medical expert you talk to... much like the way eggs were bad for us one day, the next they were almost a superfood :roll:

today's world is insane. everything causes cancer. is it butter or margarine now?? i completely lost track to the point where i just don't care anymore. oh, tap water is bad too. omg. LMFAO

smoke away i say. i'm living proof that it can be done. like someone said here quitting while already pregnant is prolly worse for your system.

crack cocaine is a different story...nicotine is the same as caffeine IMO

a friend at work is still puffing weed while pregnant. to each their own...

and don'tcha just hate people telling ya what you should do alla the time? i do ;)
  • Options
    emptyglass wrote:
    emptyglass wrote:
    bad hype

today's world is insane. everything causes cancer. is it butter or margarine now?? i completely lost track to the point where i just don't care anymore. oh, tap water is bad too. omg. LMFAO

smoke away i say. i'm living proof that it can be done. like someone said here quitting while already pregnant is prolly worse for your system.

crack cocaine is a different story...nicotine is the same as caffeine IMO

a friend at work is still puffing weed while pregnant. to each their own...

and don'tcha just hate people telling ya what you should do alla the time? i do ;)

got any stats on how many coffee drinkers developed lung cancer from too many lattes???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    caffeine and nicotine are the same??!!
    whoa! coffee is actually GOOD for you, cigarettes are not.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.