New York Giants Official Thread

Comments

• RW81233 wrote:
    So once you win a Super Bowl you are automatically awesome? Even when you win that Super Bowl largely on luck, GREAT Defense, and the overconfidence of your opponent? I guess that makes Eli, Jeff Hostetler, and Mark Rypien better QBs than Jim Kelly and Dan Marino...seems logical to me.

One more thing.

IT HAS BEEN 4654 DAYS SINCE THE COWGIRLS HAVE WON A PLAYOFF GAME. Chew on that!

- The Detroit Lions won a playoff game.
    - Derek Jeter was a rookie
    - Tony Romo was 16
    - Swiss plan first payment to Holocaust victims.
    - Two convicted in New York Trade Center bombing.
    - Europeans agree on single currency, the euro.
    - President Cliton accused in White House sex scandal.
    - Life sentence meted out to Terry Nichols, convicted in Oklahoma City bombing.
    - Nelson Mandela, first black president of South Africa, steps down.
    - Magnitude 7.4 earthquake kills more than 15,600 and leaves 600,000 homeless in Turkey.
    - Collumbine High School Massacre
    - JFK jr.'s wife lost at sea.
    - Mad cow disease alarms Europe.
    - Congo president Laurent Kabila assassinated by bodyguard.
    - FBI agent Robert Hanssen is charged with spying for Russia for 15 years.
    - World Trade Center attacked.
    - East Timor becomes a new nation.
    - Bush announces that he is ready to attack Iraq.
    - Saddam Hussein is captured by American troops.
    - Space shuttle Columbia explodes, killing all 7 astronauts.
    - Enormous tsunami devastates Asia; 200,000 killed.
    - Gay marriages begin in Massachusetts, the first state in the country to legalize such unions.
    - Pope John Paul II Dies.
    - Millions of Iraqi voters ratify a new constitution.
    - Hurricane Katrina
    - Saddam Huisen executed.
    - First Black President for the United States elected.
    - Cowboys lose to Eagles 44-6 and miss playoffs.
    - Va Tech Massacre. The new largest school shooting.
    - Quarters now made for all 50 states.
    - Tom Landry dies at 75.
    - World Population passed 6 billion.
    - Blu Ray takes over the DVD market.
    - Michael Jackson loses possession of Neverland Ranch
    - Michael Jackson Dies
    - China becomes 3rd nation to put a human in space

I can continue but you get the idea. Cowboys pretty much blow.
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    i have not always been a G-Men fan but i hav eto say that i would take Eli over most QB in teh NFL. I just got a sense during that last drive in dallas they he knew they were going to win. he was calm and poised.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    So once you win a Super Bowl you are automatically awesome? Even when you win that Super Bowl largely on luck, GREAT Defense, and the overconfidence of your opponent? I guess that makes Eli, Jeff Hostetler, and Mark Rypien better QBs than Jim Kelly and Dan Marino...seems logical to me.

Never said he was better than Kelly or Marino. This is a lost cause.

I will take Eli who just seems to win games over the past few years. Doesn't have to be pretty but he gets it done and his entire team knows how good he is. In the end winning and having the confidence of your team is all that really counts.
    he won games until Plax was gone, and now he's done enough to win against a crappy Washington team and a crappy Dallas team this year. The whole point with players like Eli, Romo, and Favre is that they are good enough to win a few extra games for their teams during the course of the season and bad enough to lose games for their teams for no apparent reason (see: Romo on Sunday). I guess I don't see Eli as anything different than Romo, he just happens to have a better coach that knows to have him hand the ball off until other team's defenses overcommit then become vulnerable to the pass. Then one game a year he goes off and makes you think he's better than he is...whatever though we'll see how things go.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    RW81233 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Never said he was better than Kelly or Marino. This is a lost cause.

I will take Eli who just seems to win games over the past few years. Doesn't have to be pretty but he gets it done and his entire team knows how good he is. In the end winning and having the confidence of your team is all that really counts.
    he won games until Plax was gone, and now he's done enough to win against a crappy Washington team and a crappy Dallas team this year. The whole point with players like Eli, Romo, and Favre is that they are good enough to win a few extra games for their teams during the course of the season and bad enough to lose games for their teams for no apparent reason (see: Romo on Sunday). I guess I don't see Eli as anything different than Romo, he just happens to have a better coach that knows to have him hand the ball off until other team's defenses overcommit then become vulnerable to the pass. Then one game a year he goes off and makes you think he's better than he is...whatever though we'll see how things go.

so what team could Eli beat that is not considered crappy. i dont think you can put Romo close to both Eli and farve. both of those players have won something. i also don't think you can say that just because the Giants are a running team that Eli is not a good QB.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Like I said he has done a couple good things in his career (including winning a Super Bowl), but what I want to see is him not completely suck for a large stretch or not just be a game manager. Even in the Super Bowl year he threw 3 pick 6's in a game, but you are probably right I do have a hatred for any QB to come from the University of Mississippi so I'm definitely a bit jaded. I really just would not want to trade Romo for him still, unless I was told that we were going to the wishbone and only Eli was going to hand off the ball.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    If I were the Giants I Would be worried, you barely beat a bad Washington team and a Dallas team that turned the ball over four times and who's defence is horrible, also Dallas's O line chewed up your front 7, I heard all pre season how NY had the best front 7. I think the steelers have you beat. As for best team in the NFC, NO or Vikings might be the teams to beat. If the cowboys ever get their defensive problems solved they might be OK.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Just an FYI about the front 7. Chris Canty was OUT for this game, Tuck Missed the second half, and Osi is sill getting his shit together after missing all of last year. (he was awful vs the run sunday night) Also, the Giants secondary was VERY banged up going into that game and my thoughts or opinions are that they focused and game planned more on stopping Romo and the vertical game more so than containing Barber, Jones, and Choice who are all fantastic RB's. The Giants front 7 will be fine and one of the games best by crunch time.

As for Minnesota and NO like the GMEN they both have flaws so Im not sold on either of them being elite. I think you can take the handful of NFC teams put them in the playoffs and it will them come down to defense, running game and a QB who can manage his team and play smart. That being said give me Eli, Jacobs, and the Giants D in that scenario and i like my chances.
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    If I were the Giants I Would be worried, you barely beat a bad Washington team and a Dallas team that turned the ball over four times and who's defence is horrible, also Dallas's O line chewed up your front 7, I heard all pre season how NY had the best front 7. I think the steelers have you beat. As for best team in the NFC, NO or Vikings might be the teams to beat. If the cowboys ever get their defensive problems solved they might be OK.

P.S.

I hate them but Dallas does NOT have a "horrible" defense.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    touringfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

P.S.

I hate them but Dallas does NOT have a "horrible" defense.

They've been off though so far. No sacks. No forced turnovers. Completely collapsed in the 4th quarter against the Giants.

Anyway, too early to tell but I don't believe we can say there is a dominant team right now. NO looks pretty stout though.

PS - my last word about Dallas in your thread until the next game with the Giants.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • lots of talk in Giants land today that Kenny Phillips will be IR'd and lost for the season. if true, this is a pretty devastating loss to my beloved Giants D.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    touringfan wrote:
    lots of talk in Giants land today that Kenny Phillips will be IR'd and lost for the season. if true, this is a pretty devastating loss to my beloved Giants D.

Yep, hes officially out. Quite a blow to the secondary.
  • touringfan wrote:
    lots of talk in Giants land today that Kenny Phillips will be IR'd and lost for the season. if true, this is a pretty devastating loss to my beloved Giants D.

this is a tough loss....hopefully C C Brown will step it up. With Aaron Ross hopefully back soon, our 2 shut down corners can help the safeties out anyway.

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,039
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    touringfan wrote:

Yep, hes officially out. Quite a blow to the secondary.

I heard that it could be career threatening.
    I miss igotid88
    Domination.
    I miss igotid88
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Well, they looked damn good today.
  • I cant remember the last time the second team played the entire 4th qtr. Seemed like an easy day at the office for the D. Steve Smith and Mario Manningham!!!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    as big a Giant fan I am, yesterdays game against Tampa was boring.
    At this rate, the Giants will wind up like 15-1 .
    I wont be complaining, just saying,
    yesterday was boring .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Well, then I hope more of their games are that "boring".
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    yesterday was boring .

LMAO, please. You don't have that kind of team. NYG fans are so pretentious this year. They got the crap beat out of them in Dallas, Romo just gave them the game. Minus Romo, it was a blowout in favor of Dallas. And I'm not seeing that Dallas is that good this year, but they handled NYG. Please check yourselves.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
    mr.pink wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    yesterday was boring .

LMAO, please. You don't have that kind of team. NYG fans are so pretentious this year. They got the crap beat out of them in Dallas, Romo just gave them the game. Minus Romo, it was a blowout in favor of Dallas. And I'm not seeing that Dallas is that good this year, but they handled NYG. Please check yourselves.

The Dallas game was even. NYG had problems scoring in the redzone. They've had the problem for a couple of years now. And our kicker isn't that great.
    I miss igotid88
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    what the hell happened to Eli ?
    Is he gonna be okay ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    what the hell happened to Eli ?
    Is he gonna be okay ?

I was watching the Yankee game and Alex hitting 2 hrs to get to 30hr/100rbi. I heard it was a foot injury. I recorded it. I'll have to watch later.
    I miss igotid88
    It's a bruised heel. He'll be fine.

They'll win next week against the Raiders and then they face a tough challenge in the Saints.
    Well today's game was expected.
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    igotid88 wrote:
    Well today's game was expected.

for sure but it was definitely nice to see eli get out of the game in the second quarter
  • yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,582
    That was fun. Seemed like everyone played great (I didn't get to watch, just follow).
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Wow JaMarcus Russell is the worst Qb i've seen in a long time. Or maybe the Giants are just that good!
    Or maybe both. They did what they were supposed to do. Prob coulda put up 60 if the 1st team went the distance. I cant wait for this week. Tough stretch coming up...
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Wow JaMarcus Russell is the worst Qb i've seen in a long time. Or maybe the Giants are just that good!
    Or maybe both. They did what they were supposed to do. Prob coulda put up 60 if the 1st team went the distance. I cant wait for this week. Tough stretch coming up...

I think it was a combination of both. For pure comedic value, I kept switching over to this game. It was like the perfect storm. Jamarcus Russell has to be the worst QB I have seen play, I would put him lower than Ryan Leaf. It was funny watching him get crushed, I can't wait until the Steelers play against them (assuming our defense remembers how to play in the 4th quarter by then).
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    We sure could use Kenny Phillips and Aaron Ross today. Stupid plays by the secondary. And that bad pass interference call pretty much sealed the game.
    I miss igotid88
  • THE SAINTS are the best team in football hands down.

is it just me or do the saints WRs look about two feet taller than the Giants CBs?