Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,069
    I just finished a book about former FBI agent John O'Neil. If you've followed the September 11 investigation, he is the man in the FBI that was paying attention to Bin Laden well before the attacks.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    just finished Saint Maybe - Anne Tyler.....and plan to start Searching for Caleb - same author, on monday. i've been a voracious reader as of late.....that makes 5 in the past 3 weeks. never realized just how much reading i could fit in on my to/from work train commute and during lunch. it's been great!
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    sgossard3 wrote:
    just finished reading "lullaby" by chuck palahniuk (fight club, choke) ... pretty good read... especially towards the end

now i need a recommendation for something new! (choosing a new book is always intimidating)

i love and have read just about everything from vonnegut, palahniuk, hemingway, salinger
    looking for something in a similar vein... sortof cynical, manic, psychological, gritty, truthful

any suggestions? :geek:

Keep going with all of palahniuk's work.

Also, I'd recommend, to everyone, Beautiful Children by Charles Bock
    beautiful-children_l.jpg
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:
    just finished reading "lullaby" by chuck palahniuk (fight club, choke) ... pretty good read... especially towards the end

now i need a recommendation for something new! (choosing a new book is always intimidating)

i love and have read just about everything from vonnegut, palahniuk, hemingway, salinger
    looking for something in a similar vein... sortof cynical, manic, psychological, gritty, truthful

any suggestions? :geek:

Keep going with all of palahniuk's work.

Also, I'd recommend, to everyone, Beautiful Children by Charles Bock
    just picked up "an oral biography of buster casey" by chuck yesterday... about half way through and its great... totally unique story telling layout! and very funny! its been a long time since ive been reading as regularly as i am now and even longer since ive found a new favorite author... i chose a good new years resolution and hopefully one i'll keep :geek: ... also checked out that "sometimes a great notion" that a few of you mentioned... after those two ill pick up your bock suggestion... thanks!

hope this thread keeps going for when i need another... nothings worse than spending days reading a book only to realize it sucks
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Ken Kesey - 'Sometimes a Great Notion'

How is that? I've toyed with picking it up myself a few times, but it looks pretty hefty and time for reading can be hard to come by sometimes.

Right now, I'm reading:

Jim Butcher- Blood Rites

I started the first Dresden book last night.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:
    Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

That was pretty good, but I thought his short story collection, "20th Century Ghosts" was a lot better.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    just finished Saint Maybe - Anne Tyler.....and plan to start Searching for Caleb - same author, on monday. i've been a voracious reader as of late.....that makes 5 in the past 3 weeks. never realized just how much reading i could fit in on my to/from work train commute and during lunch. it's been great!
    A daily train ride sounds sweet....all that time to ride and a train ride, sweeeeet 8-)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Trying to finish The Defining Moment by Jonathan Alter about FDR's first 100 days as president - I'd like to finish it before the inauguration. It's amazing how similar things were back then to today.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Finished Adam Gilchrist autobiography yesterday. And I also started Scar tissue. The Anthony Keddis book.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Ken Kesey - 'Sometimes a Great Notion'

How is that? I've toyed with picking it up myself a few times, but it looks pretty hefty and time for reading can be hard to come by sometimes.

Right now, I'm reading:

Jim Butcher- Blood Rites

I've only just started it. I like it already though. Kesey's a brilliant writer. And apparently it's his best book, so if it's better than Cuckoos nest then it must be good.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Jonathan Ross - Why do i say these things.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Fifteen Days - Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death from Inside the New Canadian Army by Chrstie Blatchford

very good
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    :shock: I'm still reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I've just been very busy and Kinsolver is such a hypocrite in this book it's hard to keep reading...

I have an intense hatred for Kinsolver! I want my time back from reading Pigs In Heaven. Ugh!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    smithnic wrote:
    I have an intense hatred for Kinsolver! I want my time back from reading Pigs In Heaven. Ugh!

that settles it! I don't want to regret reading it, so I'm taking it back to its rightful owner today!
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance

Because I'm a huge dork. :)
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Joseph Boyden's 'Through Black Spruce'
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options

That's a fantastic book, probably better than "Complications". He's a great writer.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

That's a fantastic book, probably better than "Complications". He's a great writer.

Looking forward to it! I just finished Complications and liked it a lot.
    How/Why are you interested in these books? I'm a Pre-Physician Assistant student looking to specialize in cardiovascular surgery.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

How/Why are you interested in these books? I'm a Pre-Physician Assistant student looking to specialize in cardiovascular surgery.

I have always been interested in medicine and I was planning on going to medical school for awhile. I work in surgery research now. I saw Complications at a bookstore and was interested in it because of that. I loved "Complications" and will read anything he writes now. I have even bought the "New Yorker" when I see he has an article in it.
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Tonight I read an Edward Albee play, "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf." I saw the movie with Richard Burton and Liz Taylor ages ago. Reading the play makes me want to watch it again.
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

I have always been interested in medicine and I was planning on going to medical school for awhile. I work in surgery research now. I saw Complications at a bookstore and was interested in it because of that. I loved "Complications" and will read anything he writes now. I have even bought the "New Yorker" when I see he has an article in it.

Very cool! After I finish "Better" I'm going to read
    "When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales from Neurosurgery"
    which also seems very interesting. I recently finished "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe" which is a memoir by a female neurosurgeon. Do we see a pattern yet? haha

• Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    :D I'm proud to say :D

My Feelings ~ by our very own Chadwick, aka: C.J. Krueger ~
    His Poetry

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:

that settles it! I don't want to regret reading it, so I'm taking it back to its rightful owner today!

Someone must like her, but hell if I know anyone who does.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Very cool! After I finish "Better" I'm going to read
    "When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales from Neurosurgery"
    which also seems very interesting. I recently finished "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe" which is a memoir by a female neurosurgeon. Do we see a pattern yet? haha

Ha! I read "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe" too. It was pretty good, not as good as Gawande though. I have the book, "How Doctors Think" in my to read pile as well. The other day on the Today show, they were talking about a book called, "Welcome to your Brain" which I put in my amazon wishlist. Looks pretty interesting.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    tad williams- dragonbone chair
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    "Accounting Information System", "Intermediate Accounting: with FASB 2007 Updates", "Corporate Finance", and "Exploring International Business Environments"
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    tybird wrote:
    A daily train ride sounds sweet....all that time to ride and a train ride, sweeeeet 8-)

it definitely has it's pluses and minuses. i quite enjoy rarely driving during the week - i am walking distance to my local train station - and sure, no road rage at all. :mrgreen: of course, at the mercy of the train, the schedule and issues and sure, a 42 minute commute each way, on the train alone not counting walking time....but overall....i'm quite happy. and you bet, it's awesome to zone out with the ipod, or to read as you go to/from work. :)

i started searching for caleb today and thus far, classic tyler.....good characterizations and a fine start! only a couple chapters in, but definitely enjoying... 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Empire Express: Building the First Transcontinental Railroad"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    finished up searching for caleb last thursday i believe.....started this morning the longest trip home - john grogan. so far, so good!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow