What book are you reading?

Comments

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks and Giants of the Ocean
    by Susan Casey

If you love the ocean, fear it, surf it or care about it at all, I can't recommend this book enough. Totally fascinating- can not put it down.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    by Susan Casey

If you love the ocean, fear it, surf it or care about it at all, I can't recommend this book enough. Totally fascinating- can not put it down.

I read her book "The Devil's Teeth" about Great White sharks that hang out on an island off the coast of SF. It was really good.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    rrivers wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    by Susan Casey

I read her book "The Devil's Teeth" about Great White sharks that hang out on an island off the coast of SF. It was really good.

I just ordered it. I am so blown away by The Wave, I can't wait to read "The Devil's Teeth".
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Just finished Tinkers by Paul Harding. Onward to Savage Beauty by Nancy Milford.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Decision Points by George W. Bush
    6-25-2008 MSG
    10-31-2009 Spectrum
    5-18-2010 Newark
  • Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the first third - neal cassady
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch by Henry Miller
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue

Oooh! How is this? I love Bryson, just listened to his new one about the history of the home.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Just finished The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Turner ... a good read on the Salem witch trials

Just starting Tale of Two Cities
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    The Motorcycle Diaries - Ernesto Guevara
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself

Oooh! How is this? I love Bryson, just listened to his new one about the history of the home.
    +1...I havent heard of this one but I've read several others (In a Sunburned Country, I'm a Stranger here Myself, A Walk in the Woods)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue

listened??? well that just sounds weird to me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    chime wrote:

Thanks to Oprah?
  • Nastasja wrote:
    The Motorcycle Diaries - Ernesto Guevara

saw the film with the beautiful gael garcia bernal
    it was wonderful

I'm reading
    The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
  • The Monsters of Templeton, so far it's a good read.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
    The Monsters of Templeton, so far it's a good read.

I have that book. I started it last year and didn't get very far. It wasn't because I wasn't into it, I just moved on to something else. I need to pick it up again.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    rrivers wrote:
    chime wrote:

Thanks to Oprah?

:? ... I'm in the UK so don't know what that means ... sorry

I've had it on a shelf for years and just picked it up a couple of days ago ... don't know why.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    The Christmas List By Richard Paul Evans

About a man who "died" but the newspapers got the "wrong" person. He "played" dead for a few days and was able to read his own obiturary - He realized no one really liked him at all. It was a wake up call and when he got back home - decided to make amends.

Its a good, easy read for the Holidays. :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

+1...I havent heard of this one but I've read several others (In a Sunburned Country, I'm a Stranger here Myself, A Walk in the Woods)

I would like a report as well. I have read a few of his others as he.who.forgets has. Let us know how it is.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and Xenocide by Orson Scott Card simultaneously. They contrast each other well enough to motivate me to read faster, somehow...

EDIT: Was reading through some older pages of this thread, and saw Ayn Rand's name, and was wondering...does Atlas Shrugged get any better? I got about 150ish pages through it and absolutely no part of it caught my attention, so I'm curious as to whether or not the other 800+ pages are worth reading.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx

• I would like a report as well. I have read a few of his others as he.who.forgets has. Let us know how it is.

I will let everyone know. Been slow going as I am in the midst of some serious school work. So far not loving it as much as his other books but still okay.

I am now just making a book list in my head for Christmas holidays!
  • I hardly ever read a book. Made an exception for this one :): This all encompassing trip (I'm at show 14 ;)).
    "Change what you can't accept, accept what you can't change"
    (Arnhem 2006 - Antwerpen 2006 - Verona 2006 - Düsseldorf 2007 - Werchter 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Nijmegen 2010 - Amsterdam II 2012 - Berlin 2012 - EV Amsterdam I 2012)
  • I hardly ever read a book. Made an exception for this one :): This all encompassing trip (I'm at show 14 ;)).
    Haha. I'm exactly the same. Just read All Encompassing Trip by Jason Leung 8-)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    The 19th Wife - 2 stories in one: the fictional modern day murder of a polygamist in mesadale (aka hilldale), UT and a semi-fictional account of brigham young and the mormon pioneers. very interesting book!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • "TOC: A New Media Novel" by Steve Tomasula. It's on a DVD-ROM and it is blowing my mind. And yes, it absolutely 100% counts as a book! :)
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Want a great book to put you in a holiday mood? A Secret Gift by Ted Gup. The only negative - it makes you cry. A lot.

From Amazon:

Shortly before Christmas 1933 in Depression-scarred Canton, Ohio, a small newspaper ad offered $10, no strings attached, to 75 families in distress. Interested readers were asked to submit letters describing their hardships to a benefactor calling himself Mr. B. Virdot. The author's grandfather Sam Stone was inspired to place this ad and assist his fellow Cantonians as they prepared for the cruelest Christmas most of them would ever witness.

Moved by the tales of suffering and expressions of hope contained in the letters, which he discovered in a suitcase 75 years later, Ted Gup initially set out to unveil the lives behind them, searching for records and relatives all over the country who could help him flesh out the family sagas hinted at in those letters. From these sources, Gup has re-created the impact that Mr B. Virdot's gift had on each family.
  • the first third - neal cassady

I assume you have read,"The Scroll" (the unedited version of On the Road). You can't make a character like Neal Cassady up, absolutely one of my all time favorite characters.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Keith Richards Autobiography "Life" ... great read,wonderful quote on the back cover
    "This is the life,believe it or not I haven't forgotten any of it"
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”