What book are you reading?

Comments

• ugh you volunteered??? psycho. :P

do you know what the papers gonna be on?

i remember reading dostoyevsky and having to wrote a paper on crime and punishment and i hated reading it, cause i had to. and i didnt have enough time to absorb it. but afterwards i went back and read it(without the pressure you know) and i was more appreciative of it. in fact i may well read it again.

Well the class is Time and Literary Modernism (can you guess what the subject of my prof's latest book is?? :lol: )....so it's going to be on time. Which means lots and lots of Bergson.

bloody french... did they do nothing but sit around thinking deep thoughts. :lol::lol:

Hmmm...might explain why all the major theorists are conveniently French. I suppose I should be grateful for my 12 years of French classes. I still can't fucking speak it, but I can read it well enough. Although I admit, with someone as dense as Bergson, I go directly to the English translation. My prof's an ex-pat American who just moved to Ottawa last year and doesn't speak a word of French, so it's not like it's necessary for the paper anyway. I'd probably need to translate for him if I included any French quotations.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    barking dogs
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,137
    chime wrote:
    dottles wrote:
    This All Encompassing Trip - Chasing Pearl Jam Around the World by Jason Leung

Up to page 141 at the minute and I am loving it so far. It is very well written, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's great and I am really enjoying it.

You're doing better than me ... must catch up :shock: ... although I'm trying to finish Dean Koontz - Breathless first so I can concentrate on This All Encompassing Trip.

I have been on the bus this week so a couple of hours a day of reading :D
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    A Clash of Kings
    GRR Martin
    so far so good only 100 pages in though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Just finished the Hunger Games Trilogy and have to say I was quite impressed. Not what I was expecting at all. Even though the books are aimed more at a young adult audience I found myself really drawn into the story and characters. There are some seriously gut wrenching moments throughout those books.

Just started The World According to Garp by John Irving. Haven't read it since 2001 but it's such a great book I had to revisit it.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Did you read A Prayer for Owen Meaney?

So many people thought that was so significant. I liked it too, the idea has stayed with me even though I wasn't as thunderstruck when I read it.
  • Keith Richard's Life.
  • dottles wrote:

Up to page 141 at the minute and I am loving it so far. It is very well written, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's great and I am really enjoying it.
    just received this in the mail yesterday and plan to dig in this weekend. Does anyone know if Jason is still active here on the boards?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    dottles wrote:

just received this in the mail yesterday and plan to dig in this weekend. Does anyone know if Jason is still active here on the boards?

He posts occasionally ... but he never posted that much.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    dottles wrote:

I ordered this book but haven't received it yet!! Can't wait to read it!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
    Violence - Slavoj Zizek
    Tales - Edgar Allan Poe
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Nastasja wrote:
    Violence - Slavoj Zizek
    Tales - Edgar Allan Poe

I can't read multiple books at one go. Read one then move onto the next.

I've read the Fountainhead, I much prefer Atlas Shrugged to this but then that is an absolute mammoth of a book to read.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I am reading "Good Girls Don't" by Patti Hawn, sister of Goldie Hawn, aunt of Kate Hudson. I went to school with Patti's son in the mid seventies. This is Patti Hawn's story of her teen pregnancy in 1958. She put her firstborn child up for adoption and found him recently. My classmate was her second child. It feels odd to read how my bud from 9th grade was conceived.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dandy in the underworld - sebastian horsley
    notes of a dirty old man - bukowski
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Nastasja wrote:
    Violence - Slavoj Zizek
    Tales - Edgar Allan Poe

Zizek!! :o:D He makes me happy.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Port Mortuary - Patricia Cornwall
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    rcs wrote:
    Just finished the Hunger Games Trilogy and have to say I was quite impressed. Not what I was expecting at all. Even though the books are aimed more at a young adult audience I found myself really drawn into the story and characters. There are some seriously gut wrenching moments throughout those books.

Just started The World According to Garp by John Irving. Haven't read it since 2001 but it's such a great book I had to revisit it.

I'm reading the Hunger Games too, at the behest of my 13 year old daughter. Finished the first one, and was overall impressed with the book. Well written, and doesn't shy away from the heavy stuff.

Actually read it in one sitting over a few hours, that doesn't happen too often. Starting up on the second one here soon.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    World Without End - Ken Follet
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

i think i've read this at least 20 times. i feel closer to my Dad when i read it b/c he also passed from his battle with ALS. good book, great message...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

i think i've read this at least 20 times. i feel closer to my Dad when i read it b/c he also passed from his battle with ALS. good book, great message...
    Sorry to hear that mfc. Tis a great book.
    Cheers
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    edited November 2010
    Blood's a Rover - James ellroy

Re-reading this at monent, an amazing end to the underworld usa trilogy highly recomend all three books (American tabloid, the cold six thousand & Blood's a rover.)

51V888FYR0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41X27EXRRYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

41C8ro5tzJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Post edited by MK1980 on
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • pride and prejudice :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
    im finding it a bit of a bore, its taking me a while to get through it.
    the great gatsby next (again) :D
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Rimbaud - A Biography - Graham Robb

img.db?3305235++s(200)

'Unknown beyond the avant-garde at the time of his death, Arthur Rimbaud (1854-1891) has been one of the most destructive and liberating influences on twentieth-century culture. During his lifetime he wass a bourgeois-baiting visionary, and the list of his known crimes is longer than the list of his published poems. But his posthumous career is even more astonishing: saint to symbolists and surrealists, poster child for anarchy and drug use, gay pioneer, and a major influence on artists from Picasso to Bob Dylan'.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    minor characters - joyce johnson
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    DECODED by Jay-Z

Excellent read - dude's hella smart and business saavy...being a Jay-Z fan, twas cool to see the songs broken down...
    made me wish Ed would release a similiar read...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    rcs wrote:

I just read the first Hunger Games while I was on vacation. I enjoyed it a lot and was excited to read the next two, but don't know if I will now because it got a little too teen romance/Twilightesqce for me at the end. My wife read it yesterday from start to finish.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I've been out of touch with this thread for awhile so sorry if this has been mentioned, but has anyone read "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King. I finished it yesterday. I actually read the end of the 2nd story and then the last two all yesterday because it was a lazy day after putting up Christmas decorations! I remember there were quite a few King fans on this thread.

I'm normally not affected by books, but I found it to be really creepy. It might be because I read it all at once, but even the first story which I read at the beginning of Nov. was creepy. This is not to say I didn't enjoy it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • "Taxi!" by Helen Potrebenko. Sadly one of the first novels that has really blown me away this semester. Shitty course selection this time around. :(

Although I'm sure I'll have lots of fascinating input for this thread next semester. Waaaay more up my alley. :)
  • I'm reading a friend's journal at his request.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    rrivers wrote:
    rcs wrote:

I just read the first Hunger Games while I was on vacation. I enjoyed it a lot and was excited to read the next two, but don't know if I will now because it got a little too teen romance/Twilightesqce for me at the end. My wife read it yesterday from start to finish.

Love this trilogy! Third book was a bit disappointing compared tothe first two. Agree on the Twilight comment- also found it to be a bit too much like the Matrix, but overall really great. I am curious to see how they do the movies.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10