What book are you reading?

Comments

• NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Violence by Slavoj Zizek
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    Cobra by Frederick Forsyth. Just got through second reading of blood's a rover by James Elroy - brilliant finish to my favorite trilgy of all time!
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    myra wrote:
    myra wrote:
    Well, Bret Easton Ellis, Nick Hornby .... if you happen to enjoy reading Douglas Coupland as well, we might trade libraries ... that would be a bargain :lol:

OMG!!! holy fuckballs. ive read all ellis and all coupland. we could totally swap librares... if i didnt have a policy of lending my books out. ;):mrgreen:

Now there's a way to dispense with the hassle to try and find a new author I might like.... I could just ask you 8-) Cool.
    By the way .... you do have great taste when it comes to books :lol:

thank you.

im a little bored atm so ive decided to reimmerse myself in bukowski... am in the middle of a bukfest... cause you know i need a kick in the teeth. :roll: :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257

thank you.

im a little bored atm so ive decided to reimmerse myself in bukowski... am in the middle of a bukfest... cause you know i need a kick in the teeth. :roll: :lol:

Wow. That's hardcore immersion ! Bukowksi .... Haven't read him for so long ... I was an anarchist back then (ie a teenager) :lol:
    myra wrote:

thank you.

Wow. That's hardcore immersion ! Bukowksi .... Haven't read him for so long ... I was an anarchist back then (ie a teenager) :lol:

ive never been an anarchist. i like order even if its only in my mind. perhaps its the pretense of order... who knows?

jack kerouac: king of the beats
    - barry miles.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • "They Shall Inherit the Earth" by Morley Callaghan and "Player One" by Douglas Coupland. I'm frantically trying to finish "Player One" before the Massey Lecture on Monday...but I doubt it will happen. Stupid schoolwork getting in the way of my own geekiness and "research"!!

Also, props to the other Coupland lovers! I've kind of been obsessed with him since high school...it's truly unhealthy...and his work is going to be a big part of my dissertation.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
    "They Shall Inherit the Earth" by Morley Callaghan and "Player One" by Douglas Coupland. I'm frantically trying to finish "Player One" before the Massey Lecture on Monday...but I doubt it will happen. Stupid schoolwork getting in the way of my own geekiness and "research"!!

Also, props to the other Coupland lovers! I've kind of been obsessed with him since high school...it's truly unhealthy...and his work is going to be a big part of my dissertation.

do you think the fact that coupland is canadian made you seek him out originally? or did you find that out later?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • "They Shall Inherit the Earth" by Morley Callaghan and "Player One" by Douglas Coupland. I'm frantically trying to finish "Player One" before the Massey Lecture on Monday...but I doubt it will happen. Stupid schoolwork getting in the way of my own geekiness and "research"!!

do you think the fact that coupland is canadian made you seek him out originally? or did you find that out later?

I think I always knew he was Canadian; I can't really remember. He gets taught a lot in high school English courses in Canada so he's pretty much always been on my radar. I think I read "Shampoo Planet" back in grade 10, which started my addiction.
    Curiously though, he hardly ever gets taught at the university level and is completely ignored in Can. Lit. courses. He's probably too ultra-modern for the Canadian canon (yes, we have a "canon"!). I'm sure "Gen. X" still gets taught on certain courses but I haven't encountered him on a syllabus since high school. My supervisor just started teaching "Generation A" in both his undergrad and grad level courses.
    Coupland's writing has been a huge influence for me and was my first big leap in the "Digital Humanities" direction of my research, so it's always a treat when he comes to town. Looking forward to it!
  • AELARAAELARA Posts: 803
    myra wrote:

thank you.

Bukfest...! How nice! I haven't read him for long time too. I think I want a reimmersion to buk too...
    I am mine!

ive never been an anarchist. i like order even if its only in my mind. perhaps its the pretense of order... who knows?

Down the line, isn't that always so ? As it is, it seems the more rules, the less order. But when things get out of control, we come up with new rules to add up to the existing ones .... so yeah, rather a pretense of order.
    "They Shall Inherit the Earth" by Morley Callaghan and "Player One" by Douglas Coupland. I'm frantically trying to finish "Player One" before the Massey Lecture on Monday...but I doubt it will happen. Stupid schoolwork getting in the way of my own geekiness and "research"!!

I believe his writing can be pretty addictive indeed. It's simple yet deep, accurate and very much distinctive. I don't even consider it should be taught in school around here, in France, firstly because I believe his writing would lose so much with the translation. But I imagine it would be pretty relevant to teach him in Lit' classes in any English speaking country.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    This All Encompassing Trip - Jason Leung
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Victory at Vimy: Canada Comes Of Age, April 9-12, 1917 by Ted Barris
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Under the Dome--Stephen King
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,407
    I'm still plowing through my pile of books about happiness research.

It's going pretty well too...they all have more books listed as source material so my pile is growing as I go along. 8-)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    I'll be starting 'The Power of Half' tonight. It's a story about how a family started giving back. I think I heard about it on here on the Oceans page.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Animals Make Us Human:Creating the Best Life for Animals by Dr. Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson
    (the movie about Dr. Grandin will make you cry)

the cover of this book reminds me of the Brad-Best Friends? cover artwork....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,671
    Rogue Warrior: Echo Platoon by Richard Marcinko
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    i must be feeling restless. this morning i wandered around looking for a book to buy. this is despite me having a pile of bukowski and assorted beat degenerates to read. so anyways i bought and am now reading(cause i started it on the busride home. :roll: hopeless):

how to make gravy - paul kelly.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Taking a second run at Ulysses. It's more sensical this time around...but I'm a bit apprehensive about writing a paper on it. Gulp.
    Taking a second run at Ulysses. It's more sensical this time around...but I'm a bit apprehensive about writing a paper on it. Gulp.

nope nope nope cant do it. tried it twice. ive given up. but im sure youll do fine. ;) :thumbup: :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Taking a second run at Ulysses. It's more sensical this time around...but I'm a bit apprehensive about writing a paper on it. Gulp.

nope nope nope cant do it. tried it twice. ive given up. but im sure youll do fine. ;) :thumbup: :lol:

The scary thing is...I'm VOLUNTARILY writing a paper on it. Because I'm one of two people in the class who have read it before, I think I must use that to my advantage. I feel like I need to write on it at least once in my academic career...and once I start my dissertation, James Joyce will NOT be on my mind.
    Taking a second run at Ulysses. It's more sensical this time around...but I'm a bit apprehensive about writing a paper on it. Gulp.

The scary thing is...I'm VOLUNTARILY writing a paper on it. Because I'm one of two people in the class who have read it before, I think I must use that to my advantage. I feel like I need to write on it at least once in my academic career...and once I start my dissertation, James Joyce will NOT be on my mind.

ugh you volunteered??? psycho. :P

do you know what the papers gonna be on?

i remember reading dostoyevsky and having to wrote a paper on crime and punishment and i hated reading it, cause i had to. and i didnt have enough time to absorb it. but afterwards i went back and read it(without the pressure you know) and i was more appreciative of it. in fact i may well read it again.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I adapted Crime and Punishment recently for the stage. I also read it more for fun than for school (though I think I got credit for it somehow anyway). I just remembered the idea of a guilty man that couldn't leave his room and that was what I tried to convey in my adaptation. I had one actor play Raskolnikov, as well as the three other main characters - the police detective, etc - but I filmed those other characters, then had him act with projections of "himself" as those characters. I think it turned out well as an expression of his maddening guilt.

And, it was only an HOUR long!

As for book I'm reading now - reading a bit of The Art of Happiness by the Dahli Lama each night, also Grunge is Dead for another project I'm working on and then a novel about a Welsh hero who may have discovered America in the 1100s....
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,137
    This All Encompassing Trip - Chasing Pearl Jam Around the World by Jason Leung

Up to page 141 at the minute and I am loving it so far. It is very well written, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's great and I am really enjoying it.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 

• ugh you volunteered??? psycho. :P

i remember reading dostoyevsky and having to wrote a paper on crime and punishment and i hated reading it, cause i had to. and i didnt have enough time to absorb it. but afterwards i went back and read it(without the pressure you know) and i was more appreciative of it. in fact i may well read it again.

Well the class is Time and Literary Modernism (can you guess what the subject of my prof's latest book is?? :lol: )....so it's going to be on time. Which means lots and lots of Bergson.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    dottles wrote:
    This All Encompassing Trip - Chasing Pearl Jam Around the World by Jason Leung

Up to page 141 at the minute and I am loving it so far. It is very well written, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's great and I am really enjoying it.

You're doing better than me ... must catch up :shock: ... although I'm trying to finish Dean Koontz - Breathless first so I can concentrate on This All Encompassing Trip.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?

ugh you volunteered??? psycho. :P

Well the class is Time and Literary Modernism (can you guess what the subject of my prof's latest book is?? :lol: )....so it's going to be on time. Which means lots and lots of Bergson.

bloody french... did they do nothing but sit around thinking deep thoughts. :lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Brave New World - Aldous Huxley