What book are you reading?

Comments

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Gogol - Plays & Petersburg Tales

plays-and-petersburg-tales.jpeg
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    Saving the world at work. It's about changing your companies impact on society & the environment. Very interesting, things I've never thought about.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • The Last Hero by Rick Riordan (on my new Kindle)
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Great read if you like investigative drama/mystery. Gonna have to check out Steig's other novels when done.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    About to finish up "To Big To Fail" this evening. Great book actually. Never knew 500+ pages on the finanical crisis could be so compelling.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Learning The Tarot, wife got it for me for Christmas including a nice deck. Anyone want a reading done? Only $3.99 a minute, da cards don't lie! :lol:
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    About to finish up "To Big To Fail" this evening. Great book actually. Never knew 500+ pages on the finanical crisis could be so compelling.

I've heard good things. I've been wanting to get my hands on this.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's really good. I highly recommed it. Quick read too. So much stuff going on behind the scenes with the government, it's really interesting and written very well.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's really good. I highly recommed it. Quick read too. So much stuff going on behind the scenes with the government, it's really interesting and written very well.

Yeah, I've been trying to get my hands on as much as this stuff as possible because it's essentially what I plan on doing with the rest of my life. The more the better as I see it. Last night we went out and saw 'Inside Job'. I already knew 90% of what they were talking about, and I'm sure if you've read that book it's not telling you anything new, but it's really good. Very concise, and a great way to break it down to the average joe.
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    We need to start a book club where we trade each other books that we own. I hate buying and never remember to look these up once everyone has mentioned it.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
    Yeah, I've been trying to get my hands on as much as this stuff as possible because it's essentially what I plan on doing with the rest of my life. The more the better as I see it. Last night we went out and saw 'Inside Job'. I already knew 90% of what they were talking about, and I'm sure if you've read that book it's not telling you anything new, but it's really good. Very concise, and a great way to break it down to the average joe.

Yeah, I think I remember you saying you wanted to get into Economics, right? I heard good things about that this weekend, I would definitely like to see it. The book is great because it deals with all the dealings around the companies and the government and how they were all obviously working together. I am sure the book just probably adds a bit more detail around everything than a documentary can. It's incredibly interesting stuff.
  • loadedgun wrote:
    We need to start a book club where we trade each other books that we own. I hate buying and never remember to look these up once everyone has mentioned it.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

Just finished East of Eden, Steinbeck. FANTASTIC book and one of my all time top 5 for sure. It really put my recent lifestyle changes in perspective.

Currently reading Cat's Cradle, Vonnegut. I'm only about 50 pages in but hope to finish it this week.

Then, who knows? I haven't read non-fiction in so damn long...
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Colossus by Michael Hiltzik about the building of the Hoover Dam. It's great so far.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    Gogol - Plays & Petersburg Tales

The book i was reading (The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri) mentions Gogol a lot. The main character is named after him. Wierd haha

I'm reading

Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Got a few books for xmas. I'm really excited to read 'Where Men Win Glory', which is Jon Krakauer's take on the Pat Tillman story. I also got Hot Stove Economics, which is about the economics of baseball's offseason. I'm excited to read that too...mainly because I'm a huge dork.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    The Fixer wrote:
    Got a few books for xmas. I'm really excited to read 'Where Men Win Glory', which is Jon Krakauer's take on the Pat Tillman story. I also got Hot Stove Economics, which is about the economics of baseball's offseason. I'm excited to read that too...mainly because I'm a huge dork.

I got "Where Men Win Glory" for Christmas too! Along with "An Objecy of Beauty" by Steve Martin, "What the Dog Saw" by Malcolm Gladwell, Sean Payton's book (which I read in two days).

Right now, I'm reading "In the Woods" by Tana French. It's a book I've thought I would like for a long time but haven't got around to reading till now. It's really good, I don't know why I put it off.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I'm reading:

"This All Encompassing Trip" by our very own Jason Leung!!

:D
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    Where men win glory is fantastic, read it when it first came out. Fucked up story obviously.

Will have to check out that baseball book fixer. Let me know what you think of it.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I've been reading the Time Series by Madeline L'Engle, and I'm currently re-reading Voyage of the Dawn Treader after seeing the movie.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Hm, haven't posted in this thread in a while. Recently read:

Columbine by Dave Cullen, very well researched and written although sad
    The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan, about the Dust Bowl in the 1930s

After so much heavy stuff I read Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart, about various kinds of toxic plants from all over the world. Sounds dry but was very entertaining and amusing.

Currently reading The War That Killed Achilles by Caroline Alexander, a discussion of The Illiad. This one probably also sounds dry but it's fascinating.

loadedgun, you said you had trouble remembering all the books people recommend. I keep a list of what I want to read at http://www.librarything.com/. My To Read list gets longer all the time!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Speaking of books on the current economic situation, one I recently added to the To Read list is All the Devils Are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis by Bethany McLean
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    Just started a S.E. Hinton book called, Some of Tim's Stories

http://www.amazon.com/Some-Tims-Stories ... 0806138351
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    Whoa...I almost started a thread looking for other readers...glad I didn't! This one is like 4 years old!

I am currently reading "Middlemarch" by George Eliot. Its a little tedious so far, but definitely very good. A classic for obvious reasons. I just finished "Soldier's Pay" by William Faulkner, his first novel and an absolute masterpiece. I've been on a bit of a "classics" kick lately.

I also love just about anything by Stephen King (hate to use such a cliche, but his old stuff really is better), John Irving and history stuff by Joseph J. Ellis. I'm also on book #8 of "The Walking Dead" comic series. So good.

Glad to hear there are so many other readers out there. I've got plenty of friends who have that lame "ugh...reading is boring" attitude. Nice to know I'm not the only bibliophile out there!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Russell Brand's 'My Booky Wook'
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    still reading The Beach by Alex Garland.. :roll: :oops:

Been finding it hard to make time for reading...usually in bed before I fall asleep. I'm under 100 pages to go though!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Mary Roach ~ Stiff (The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers)
    and
    Top Chef Quickfire Cookbook
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    PJPixie wrote:
    I'm reading:

"This All Encompassing Trip" by our very own Jason Leung!!

:D

Me too. And I'm loving it!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    9781566491068.jpg

Arthur Rimbaud: PRESENCE OF AN ENIGMA
    by Jean-Luc Steinmetz
    Translated from the French by Jon Graham

The life of Rimbaud presents us with a trajectory of relentless motion, a balancing act involving the tension between the I and the Other in the human soul: a shaping of destination rather than a destiny. This life is not divided by a silence—before and after; its borders are fluid, the journey a whirlwind, and the poetry a set of sign-posts at the edge of the vertiginous road.

Jean-Luc Steinmetz has produced what may be the most comprehensive and readable biography of this problematic poet; for, as Delmore Schwartz once said of Rimbaud: "What we have, whether we want it or not, is a complex moment of Western culture, rather than merely an interesting life or interesting kind of poetry." Steinmetz gives us all the famous and infamous events—the repressive childhood, the school and hoodlum years, the Verlaine affair ending in gunshots, the African odyssey, and the grotesque finale where, old before his time, he dies worn-out in a Marseilles hospital bed. All of this resonates in an elegant prose that is richly varied in tone and texture. Regarding the bullet removed from Rimbaud’s wrist after Verlaine’s drunken shooting spree, Steinmetz wryly comments: "What frenzied bidding the sale of this projectile would inspire today if it hadn’t been thrown away like a useless knickknack—which of course it was!"

Nine years after its appearance in French, in Jon Graham’s eloquent translation, we have in English a Rimbaud biography with no particular sexual thesis to promote or socio-psychological axe to grind—a book that shows us the myth in the making, without promoting any one particular interpretation of the subject’s actions. In his preface, Steinmetz expresses that he wanted to avoid imposing "a verifiable image that would add an additional face to the gangster-seer-homosexual-initiate-explorer-totem pole. What is important," he says, "is to note the manner in which Rimbaud created his own legend."

Rimbaud has, after all, come to represent the "teenaged genius" par excellence—composing a body of masterpieces in his teens, then just walking away from it—the "god of adolescence" as Andre Breton dubbed him, "this considerable passer-by" as Mallarme put it, the avatar of rebellion and fecklessness, the godfather of Punk and Beat and Rocknroll; granddaddy of Crane, Cocteau and Eliot, Kerouac and Ginsberg, Patti Smith and Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison and The Doors. And it is the rocknroll connection as much as the literary lineage that keeps this perennial teenager up-to-date. He is "always arriving." In 1992 Hector Zazou produced an album of pop/worldbeat settings of Rimbaud’s poetry called SAHARA-BLUE, featuring the likes of John Cale, Lisa Gerrard, Khaled, Anneli Drecker and Bill Laswell among others. Certainly the lyric to many a Doors song is rife with Rimbaldien symbolism, thanks to Morrison’s reading of the poet. Dylan’s 1964 "Chimes of Freedom," with its message of compassion for the "luckless and forsaken"—where the listener, "spellbound and swallowed," stumbles through "a wild cathedral evening"—has much of the lyrical power of Rimbaud’s finest work..

Steinmetz, who edited the 1989 Flammarion Complete Works in French, has given us more than a post-modern deconstruction. He presents an integrated view of the glum-faced child, the angry and icy-eyed adolescent, the "flaky traveller," the gaunt and prematurely grey trader of the African highland, all of them Rimbaud, all of them in a kind of sympathetic motion, an allusive synchronicity of departures and returns. "For Rimbaud the important thing was quite simply to leave. As if it were enough to go away to discover the unknown! Rimbaud will be a travel addict; he confronts the unknown fearlessly, and with a surprising and infectious confidence, never seeing that ‘Death, the old captain’ is often helping to weigh anchor."

The book begins: "I won’t be going to Charleville this time… I went there in search of a man; what I encountered was only a fiction…" Charleville-Mezieres, on the River Meuse in the Ardennes near the Belgian border, is the town where the poet was born and is buried. His name appears on buildings, on street signs, in bars, but there is a curious lack of presence. "It is in fact his absence we feel," Steinmetz explains, "and the reality of Charleville only confirms it in its compliance with an insurmountable distance, with the movement of an impossible confiscation."

Now the town prepares for the celebration of the 150th Anniversary of its most famous native son in 2004; the asphalt streets leading from the town square to the river have been torn up, to be newly paved with "authentic" cobblestones. Gas streetlamps will be installed. The house by the river where the Rimbaud family lived is being restored as a museum; it will contain the personal effects of the poet on display—his famous valise, the articles of clothing, the cutlery, the musical instruments, the mementos and leavings of a life. And even though his bones rest beneath a white marble tombstone in the old cemetery at the end of town, Rimbaud is conspicuous by his absence—except perhaps on chocolate boxes, posters, postcards, and a bronze bust at the railway station that looks like "somebody else."

And what is the power of this poet who seems to call for one "impossible confiscation" after another—biographies, translations, pop albums, museums, anniversaries?—as soon as he is fixed in our sights, he is already moving on, or gone. In a brief passage in the last chapter of Part One, Steinmetz addresses the poet’s staying power. "Rimbaud does not disclose to us the space of an intimate dream as much a reality that has been looked at anew, transmuted, and exacerbated with completely different means than those used by his naturalistic contemporaries. What falls under his eyes becomes the object of an ardent metamorphosis at the end of which reconstructed objects, beings, and landscapes emerge. It testifies to an accelerated sensation and he performs real acts of magic where our eyes only manage to see the common presence of things… He creates while he is describing…" Of Rimbaud’s most famous poem THE DRUNKEN BOAT, Steinmetz comments: "Rimbaud pierces the ‘sky reddening like a wall.’ Here he sees in all clarity ‘what men have thought they saw.’ …The ship, or boat rather, a modern Argo, speaks in oracular verses. Allegory? Without a doubt. It is that of life breaking its moorings and attaining the Great Unknown."

The life has been so mythologized, massaged and misinterpreted—even made into a couple of movies, the latest one starring Leo DiCaprio as the poet –- that the skeptical tone of this book, tempered with its inclusive generosity, seems a breath of fresh air. "We are once more entering a realm of pure hypothesis," Steinmetz writes of the period following A SEASON IN HELL: "Rimbaud's time eludes us. How did he live these days? How did he spend these days at his disposal during which he refused so much? … I like to imagine that…[he] returned to the ILLUMINATIONS but to go even further. He proceeds in a very distinctive manner that consists of not finishing in order to finish. He produces several texts announcing a radical conclusion…" His life, as this book seems to show, was a sequence of unfinished journeys, of repeated "farewell appearances."

This elegant biography is a work of affectionate devotion and unflinching honesty. The subject doesn’t always elicit sympathy or understanding, but the life of Rimbaud fascinates. A volatile and brilliant youth of exceptional gifts, he altered the course of modern literature by exhausting and reinventing the uses of language. His innovations inspired the likes of the Surrealists and Dadaists as well as Joyce, Beckett, and T. S. Eliot. Steinmetz suggests, near the end, that Rimbaud was aware that his work would last, even though he took no care of it. In 1890 in Africa, he received a letter from the editor of La France moderne hailing him as "leader of the Decadent and Symbolist school," and asking him for a contribution. –"…Rimbaud stores away this unexpected letter. A final burst of pride on his part for escaping human stupefaction? Astonishment at the sight of these few ‘marvelocerous’ lines? This simple piece of letterhead at least provides positive proof that he knew everything. What crazy news, people were reading his verse. For one moment, sitting between his cash box and his scales, he embraces the strangeness of his destiny. He is constrained to accept the thread—which escapes him. He sees his ‘other’ taking shape. He sees his double—precursor of his death.. Transformed into the leader of a school … did he have any more reason to live, now that he had already survived himself?" And attention to his process, to his "becoming," will be of compelling interest to those drawn to the "Unknown"—the unknowable mystery of creation, the life that was a search for "the formula" of "true life,"-- a question of presence, the presence of an enigma.

For those interested in the more hallucinogenic or sexually explicit aspects of the poet’s life, Jeremy Reed’s Delirium: An Interpretation of Rimbaud (City Lights) and Benjamin Ivry’s Arthur Rimbaud (Absolute Press) should satisfy their curiosity. For the final word, however, the Steinmetz book will be the one to read, peruse, and ponder for many a season.

Rimbaud, "the god of adolescence," was a poet wise beyond his years. The image of wisdom is effectively summarized by Hermann Keyserling in his 1929 book THE RECOVERY OF TRUTH: "The Chinese, who know more of wisdom than any other race, designate the wise by the combination of the ideographs for wind and lightning; wise, with them, is not the serene old man bereft of all illusions, but he who, like the wind, rushes headlong and irresistably on his way and cannot be stopped nor laid hold of at any station of his career; who purifies the air in the manner of lightning, and strikes when there is need for it."
  • I got a Nook for christmas, and just finished reading Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. It was pretty good. I've got The Imperfectionists, Room, The Lonely Polygamist and One Day loaded up and ready to go. Any suggestions what to read next?
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    I got a Nook for christmas, and just finished reading Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. It was pretty good. I've got The Imperfectionists, Room, The Lonely Polygamist and One Day loaded up and ready to go. Any suggestions what to read next?

Anything by Dave Eggers. =) "You Shall Know Our Velocity!"
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg