What book are you reading?

Comments

• I'm working on The Thirteenth Tale right now...we'll see...
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • CorsoCorso Posts: 201
    bicycle diaries/david byrne..... yes, this is the david byrne from the talking heads.... it is not about bicycle culture. it is a journal of experiences riding in berlin, buenos aires, sydney, san francisco and other cities. the focus is artist, musicians, politics, architecture, cultural isolation, globalization and how some cities are redefining the human experience. quick fun read.
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Fugitive Minds - Antonio Melechi
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Under The Dome by Strphen King & it's awesome so far!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I got a Nook for christmas, and just finished reading Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. It was pretty good. I've got The Imperfectionists, Room, The Lonely Polygamist and One Day loaded up and ready to go. Any suggestions what to read next?

I want to read Room and heard good things about it, but haven't read it yet.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Just finished "My Shit Life So Far" the Frankie Boyle autobiography, (for those that know who he is no introduction is needed - for those that don't he is an incredibley brutal stand up comedian from Scotland, but one of the funniest around at the moment. Not so much crossing the line as the line is a faint dot in the distance)
  • Freakonmics
  • keith haring's journals... not as good as i would've thought :|
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Year Of The Flood - Margaret Atwood
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    I just finished The Road. I don't know if I posted that or not. It is pretty depressing.
  • The plague--Albert Camus
    It's kinda morbid but it reads pretty well.
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Peony in Love - Lisa See

*though I think I might of read it before, if I did I'm going to read

Shanghai Girls - Lisa See
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    I just finished The Road. I don't know if I posted that or not. It is pretty depressing.

I read it a couple of years ago and have avoided seeing the movie because of how depressing the book was.
  • rrivers wrote:
    I got a Nook for christmas, and just finished reading Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. It was pretty good. I've got The Imperfectionists, Room, The Lonely Polygamist and One Day loaded up and ready to go. Any suggestions what to read next?

I want to read Room and heard good things about it, but haven't read it yet.

Room is next on my list, I think. I'm about halfway through The Lonely Polygamist. It's actually one of the funniest books I've ever read. I rarely laugh out loud with a book. One Day was fantastic.
  • Just finished The Girl Who Played With FIre...just starting Lost Mountain by Erik Reece (about "Radical strip mining and the devastation of Appalachia)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Our America: Life and Death on the South Side of Chicago

LeAlan Jones and Lloyd Newman
    Nice shirt.
    rrivers wrote:

I read it a couple of years ago and have avoided seeing the movie because of how depressing the book was.

I haven't seen the movie either. Although I did see a little snippet of it the other day on some movie channel and I quickly turned it. I don't think I will be seeing it any time soon. A) movies never do books justice and B) I couldn't subject myself to it so soon after reading the book. :?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    edited January 2011
    rrivers wrote:

I haven't seen the movie either. Although I did see a little snippet of it the other day on some movie channel and I quickly turned it. I don't think I will be seeing it any time soon. A) movies never do books justice and B) I couldn't subject myself to it so soon after reading the book. :?

It's one of those situations where the book is better, like what usually happens, but watch this movie. It's still pretty solid.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • rrivers wrote:

my sister loved the book. Keeps telling me to read it.

Should I? Or will it be too depressing?
    rrivers wrote:

my sister loved the book. Keeps telling me to read it.

Should I? Or will it be too depressing?

It is well worth the read.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    Just finished "Assholes Finish First" by Tucker Max. Classic.........
    Just started "Dave Barry Slept Here" by Dave Barry
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Russell Brand's 'My Booky Wook'

What a pile of crap that was. :x I used to think he was kinda funny. Now I just want to punch him in the face.

Today I just started reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Just finished Bohemians of the Latin Quarter by Murger. About halfway through Kim Echelin's The Disappeared.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

What a pile of crap that was. :x I used to think he was kinda funny. Now I just want to punch him in the face.

Today I just started reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.
    Love Bryson...havent read this one yet, tell us how it is!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Recently found out "Forrest Gump" was a novel before a movie so I recently read that. Very quick read and very different than the movie. Good though.

Just started reading "Consider The Lobster" by David Foster Wallace. Believe I have already read most of these essays but they are outstanding.
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Three Seconds
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

I enjoyed that book. Bryson, not Brand. Lol.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 53
    Just started Anthropology of an American Girl by Hillary Thayer Hamann...so far so good.
  • kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,933
    Just starting Josh Hamilton's book, "Beyond Belief." I won tickets to Game 1 of the World Series and had the opportunity to briefly meet him/get his autograph. Really inspiring comeback story so I'm looking forward to learning more about him.
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Generation of Swine - Hunter S. Thompson
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself