Options

Smashing Pumpkins - "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"

Comments

• Options
    MAY THE NEW PUMPKINS ROCK AND MELLON COLLIE BE KNOWN AS THE GREATEST DOUBLE ALBUM OF ALL TIME!!!

well I wouldn't go that far. but I'll call it the Pumpkin's finest effort, one of the best albums of the 90's, and an album I like a real lot.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ^^ Blonde on Blonde isn't a double album... :confused: ?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    overrated. one album of excellent material here.
    Surely you jest.
  • Options
    I think this album really showcases what the Pumpkins are all about from their career between 1988 and 2000. I mean, you've got amazing lyrics by Billy, shredding drums from Jimmy, nice piano accompaniment here and there, catchy metallic riffs, soothing acoustic work, a nice touch of electronica from time to time, nice filler points and solos from James, great backup vocals and catchy bass lines from D'arcy, epic solos from Billy, and some of the best screaming I've ever heard!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    this is one of the greatests cds ever in rock

i second that notion!!!
  • Options
    whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    ^^ Blonde on Blonde isn't a double album... :confused: ?
    It was on Lp when it was released.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_album
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed that Mellon Collie was mixed differently on the vinyl edition and that it's 3 lp discs with 2 extra songs not on cd?!! Anyone have this and if you do, do you prefer the cd mix or vinyl mix?

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed that Mellon Collie was mixed differently on the vinyl edition and that it's 3 lp discs with 2 extra songs not on cd?!! Anyone have this and if you do, do you prefer the cd mix or vinyl mix?
    I haven't heard the vinyl mix, but I think the tracklist is wayyyyyyyyy better. Not that there's any difference except for the 2 extra songs, but the flow of the album is much much better. Also it's organized better for the theme.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    I'm loving the Muzzle fanatics!!! I think Corgan really expresses his feelings in this song and it just blows me away how the progression of the chords weaves its way into the stunning percussion work from Jimmy Chamberlin. This album was godly when it was released and I'd like to see another double album release from the new Pumpkins!

That song has never been the same for me since a boyfriend in high school wrote out and sent me the lyrics after a break up. :mad: Don't ya just hate that!?
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    fantastic album

i'm glad they are back this year. music needs the pumpkins right now!!

i'll hopefully get to see them in august as they are a very strong rumour to be playing the reading/leeds festivals, and i will be going to leeds

fingers crossed :D
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for the US tour to start!! Come to Indy!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    By the way, the new album is supposed to have a lot of Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie type sound to it!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    By the way, the new album is supposed to have a lot of Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie type sound to it!!

where'd you hear this?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    spbeth.jpg

Taken at Beth's Cafe in Seattle :)
  • Options
    spbeth.jpg

Taken at Beth's Cafe in Seattle :)
    haha :)

The siamese dream/MCIS sound for the new album rumor is just people stretching what we really know.. What we know is that Billy is layering guitars like crazy and it's supposed to be fairly heavy.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Either way I can't wait to hear the new album. Lots of guitar and beautifully written lyrics from Corgan can make my day!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
    My favorite Pumpkins record. Siamese has a LOT of stuff that's just intolerably whiney, in my opinion, and Gish is one half-step short on the grand-ness meter.

Tonight, Tonight is the best lyrics/music combination of the Pumpkins, I think. I also love BWBW (yes, it's rediculous) Porcelina, X.Y.U., 1979, Thru the eyes of Ruby, and nearly everything on there. The recurring piano theme is great.
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Really been into "Thru the Eyes of Ruby" lately. I have to say, I LOVE the arrangement of this song!!! I mean, the way the guitars come in is like an orchestra. I think I've posted something like this before, but it's so fucking brilliant!!! I love the way Corgan sings this song!!

"Your strength is my weakness, your weakness my hate,
    My love for you just can't explain why
    We're forever frozen, forever beautiful
    Forever lost inside ourselves..."

AMAZING LYRICS!!!! Definately one of the GREATEST songwriters ever.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176

If the album is over 2 hours and a record holds 40 minutes, how does it fit on 3 lps?
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    whulmef wrote:
    If the album is over 2 hours and a record holds 40 minutes, how does it fit on 3 lps?
    6 sides. 3 records. One side hold 30-40 minutes.
    :p
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Really been into "Thru the Eyes of Ruby" lately. I have to say, I LOVE the arrangement of this song!!! I mean, the way the guitars come in is like an orchestra. I think I've posted something like this before, but it's so fucking brilliant!!! I love the way Corgan sings this song!!

"Your strength is my weakness, your weakness my hate,
    My love for you just can't explain why
    We're forever frozen, forever beautiful
    Forever lost inside ourselves..."

AMAZING LYRICS!!!! Definately one of the GREATEST songwriters ever.
    I originally overlooked the gem. It's now one of my favorites. Only complaint is the way it sorta leaves you hanging in the end with what appears to be another section of the song.
  • Options
    I've actually always loved the ending to that song!!! Definately some Pink Floyd and Cure influence on this song, but nonetheless an original masterpiece!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    I read this thread yesterday and right after that listened to MCIS 3 times. FUCKING AMAZING.

One of my favourite albums ever
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    Jimmy Chamberlin doesn't get enough credit for being the best drummer in music today, and one of the best ever. He tears Jellybelly apart.

Porcelina is probably my fav song on MCIS.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE PORCELINA!!!! Corgan displays so much emotion when he sings that song, really really sad, but really beautiful at the same time!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    Jimmy Chamberlin doesn't get enough credit for being the best drummer in music today, and one of the best ever. He tears Jellybelly apart.

Porcelina is probably my fav song on MCIS.

Jimmy Chamberlin plays as if he was a freaking octopus with drumsticks. The guy's completely insane... I don't know how he does it
  • Options
    bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 465
    definitely one of the most underrated albums of all time. so heavy in some spots (XYU, ZERO), and so smooth in other (1979, Galapogos).
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Options
    bryanfury wrote:
    definitely one of the most underrated albums of all time. so heavy in some spots (XYU, ZERO), and so smooth in other (1979, Galapogos).

This album is underrated?!! Well, from what I understand as far as sales went it did extremely well!!! But I guess not all critics gave it a perfect score, though there are still critics that did...guess it depends on how you look at it.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    bryanfury wrote:

how old were you in 1995?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    BriskBrisk Posts: 84
    chris01 wrote:
    Agreed its the best double album ive ever heard.
    I dont want them to turn back time and make songs that sounds like remakes.... but at the same time, i dont want them to sound like Zwan. ;)

Why do people dislike ZWAN so much? I thought they were awesome!

Did you actually hear the absolutely stunning jam they do on Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea??? IT'S INCREDIBLE! I URGE ALL YOU ANTI-ZWAN PEOPLE TO LISTEN TO IT! Drums are absolutely phenonemal as well!