Options

Smashing Pumpkins - "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"

Comments

• Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Brisk wrote:
    Why do people dislike ZWAN so much? I thought they were awesome!

Did you actually hear the absolutely stunning jam they do on Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea??? IT'S INCREDIBLE! I URGE ALL YOU ANTI-ZWAN PEOPLE TO LISTEN TO IT! Drums are absolutely phenonemal as well!

yup that album had its moments.. but i honestly haven't listened to it in about 3 years
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Absolute masterpiece :)
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Yeah Zwan had some great tunes!!! Really love "Ride a Black Swan" and "Of a Broken Heart."
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    I put Zwan in my car this morning and thought "Man, what a positive feel this album has!!!" But even as good as it was, I loved the depression behind Mellon Collie. I think when Corgan was at his lowest point he wrote his best lyrics...

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    C'mon!! I wanna keep this thread alive!! Surely there's more Mellon Collie to talk about....

I love listening to Galapagos and By Starlight while I'm lying in bed and I just have those songs on my mp3 player to listen to. Really relaxing songs and really thematic. I hope Zeitgeist has some beautiful ballads as these masterpieces were!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    C'mon!! I wanna keep this thread alive!! Surely there's more Mellon Collie to talk about....
    One time, I was really stoned, and I listened to Zero, and it scared the shit out of me. That song is more evil sounding than X.Y.U.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    One time, I was really stoned, and I listened to Zero, and it scared the shit out of me. That song is more evil sounding than X.Y.U.

Well, Billy does get pretty intense on Zero, but I get more into X.Y.U. I mean, that's the best screaming Corgan's ever done!!! Really intense song, love the solo too.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Well, Billy does get pretty intense on Zero, but I get more into X.Y.U. I mean, that's the best screaming Corgan's ever done!!! Really intense song, love the solo too.

check out live versions of Silverfuck circa 93'.... ive never been so blown away by screaming before.. real raw emotion. Actually if you have the Viewphoria DVD then you'll know what I mean.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    I
    AM
    MADE
    OF
    SHAMROCKS
    I
    AM
    MADE
    OF
    STERN-STUFF

*bangs head*
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    danny72688 wrote:

I always thought God and Bodies should have been singles.

:)
  • Options
    I always thought God and Bodies should have been singles.

:)
    They sound pretty evil too. Actually, come to think of it, many of the heavy songs on the blue disc have a evilness sound to them. Zero should've been on blue, switch it with 1979.
  • Options
    Corgan really belts it out in An Ode to No One I think.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Corgan really belts it out in An Ode to No One I think.

Oh dude, check out the version from the Final Performance at the Metro, it's on the Greatest Hits dvd and it is INTENSE!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    Oh dude, check out the version from the Final Performance at the Metro, it's on the Greatest Hits dvd and it is INTENSE!!
    That's the performance I had in mind accompanying the studio version. Was that show ever released? That'd make a kick ass DVD :D
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    That's the performance I had in mind accompanying the studio version. Was that show ever released? That'd make a kick ass DVD :D

The show hasn't been released yet but there were a few rumors speculating that release would take place at some point. The thing is they played 4 sets and it was like a 4 hour + show or something to that degree, and they played a lot of songs that they hadn't played in a LONG time (ex. Gish songs, non hits from Siamese Dream, etc) so it was a pretty epic show!! I'm hoping that the Pumpkins mix it up a bit on their upcoming tour but they'll probably play mostly songs from Zeitgeist and then play songs like Bullet with Butterfly Wings, 1979, Today, and Cherub Rock.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    The show hasn't been released yet but there were a few rumors speculating that release would take place at some point. The thing is they played 4 sets and it was like a 4 hour + show or something to that degree, and they played a lot of songs that they hadn't played in a LONG time (ex. Gish songs, non hits from Siamese Dream, etc) so it was a pretty epic show!! I'm hoping that the Pumpkins mix it up a bit on their upcoming tour but they'll probably play mostly songs from Zeitgeist and then play songs like Bullet with Butterfly Wings, 1979, Today, and Cherub Rock.
    At least their hits are still enjoyable to me :D
    I'm sure Zeitgeist will suffice for me live anyway, I'm so stoked!
  • Options
    haha :)

The siamese dream/MCIS sound for the new album rumor is just people stretching what we really know.. What we know is that Billy is layering guitars like crazy and it's supposed to be fairly heavy.

Billy did an interview on Sirius a little over a year ago. He stated that yes, the pumpkins were going to put out a new album, but it would be going in a new direction, and that "long time Pumpkin fans expecting renewed good old days will be disapointed."

He went on to say that a big reasons that the band broke up were a- they were aging and the record company was starting to turn away from them, b- that the music had become a bit stale. He went on to explain that the only way he would re-unite, as much as he really wanted to, would be if the band did not live in the past, and took some steps in a new direction.

He also stated that he was not interested in playing shows that were heavy on old material...that he had no intrest in living in the past.

It was an excellent interview...wish I had it recorded. I always liked his music, but did not care much for him. My point of view did a 180...that interview gave me a pile of respect for Billy Corgan.

Oh yeah, he also said that they would, as they have in the past, likely initially release the new album under a different band name, as he wanted the quality to sell it, not the naustalgia.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    Billy did an interview on Sirius a little over a year ago. He stated that yes, the pumpkins were going to put out a new album, but it would be going in a new direction, and that "long time Pumpkin fans expecting renewed good old days will be disapointed."

He went on to say that a big reasons that the band broke up were a- they were aging and the record company was starting to turn away from them, b- that the music had become a bit stale. He went on to explain that the only way he would re-unite, as much as he really wanted to, would be if the band did not live in the past, and took some steps in a new direction.

He also stated that he was not interested in playing shows that were heavy on old material...that he had no intrest in living in the past.

It was an excellent interview...wish I had it recorded. I always liked his music, but did not care much for him. My point of view did a 180...that interview gave me a pile of respect for Billy Corgan.

Oh yeah, he also said that they would, as they have in the past, likely initially release the new album under a different band name, as he wanted the quality to sell it, not the naustalgia.

Under a different band name?!! But Corgan said that he wanted to reunite "The Smashing Pumpkins." If it's gonna be in a new direction, awesome...but the reason Zwan broke up was because Billy's heart "lay within the Smashing Pumpkins."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    Yeah I think Billy sided with keeping the name "Smashing Pumpkins", and judging from the recent interviews I've heard/read he's pumped about playing old songs again. I think the original press release said,.. "I want my old songs back"... or something like that.

Sounds like a cool interview depop. :)

I know he's arrogant and pretentious, but I've always had a 'pile of respect' for Corgan - and not just his music. Someone said about him (in some interview from god knows where after they broke up).. "If Corgan's your friend he's with you until the very end". Seems that you need to stab him in the back to have him turn on you, but there was plenty of that to go around with SP.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Under a different band name?!! But Corgan said that he wanted to reunite "The Smashing Pumpkins." If it's gonna be in a new direction, awesome...but the reason Zwan broke up was because Billy's heart "lay within the Smashing Pumpkins."

Yes, as I stated, he really does want the band back together. At one point he acually took out full page adds in a couple of Chicogo newspapres asking the band to re-unite with him...cost over $37 0000!!! He did say (in this interview anyways) that he had no desire to tour playing 90% old music. He wanted to play no music, not live in the glory days. Don't get me wrong, you know they are going to break out old tunes in a show, but it will be prodomantly new music.

As far as releasing under a different name...they have done so in the past. I think it is an awsome idea. He doesn't want people buying the album because they love the pumpkins, he wants them buying it because they like the music. I believe this will be done in the form of one or 2 singles, and the full LP will be pumkins. I can't see how Billy Corgan can release more than a song or 2 w/o people reccognising his unique voice.
    I respect this decision. It shows he is an artist with integrety...not re-uniting for a fast buck like so many others have (cough cough...Motley Crue...cough cough)
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    You know whatever Corgan releases is gonna rock regardless. But yeah I don't see him changing the name of the band. I mean, the myspace pg. and website still say "Smashing Pumpkins," and that's the band he wants to play under. I think he'll bring back a few old tunes from Mellon Collie to play at shows, which will be awesome!!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    Just for fun, I'm gonna make Mellon Collie into a one disc, 14-track album. This is going to be tough...

1) Where Boys Fear to Tread
    2) Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    3) Muzzle
    4) Fuck You (An Ode to No One)
    5) 1979
    6) Jellybelly
    7) Zero
    8) Love
    9) In the Arms of Sleep
    10) X.Y.U.
    11) Bodies
    12) Cupid de Locke
    13) Thru the Eyes of Ruby
    14) We Only Come Out at Night

I think I'm actually gonna make this a playlist and see what it sounds like :cool:
  • Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    danny72688 wrote:
    Just for fun, I'm gonna make Mellon Collie into a one disc, 14-track album. This is going to be tough...

1) Where Boys Fear to Tread
    2) Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    3) Muzzle
    4) Fuck You (An Ode to No One)
    5) 1979
    6) Jellybelly
    7) Zero
    8) Love
    9) In the Arms of Sleep
    10) X.Y.U.
    11) Bodies
    12) Cupid de Locke
    13) Thru the Eyes of Ruby
    14) We Only Come Out at Night

I think I'm actually gonna make this a playlist and see what it sounds like :cool:

No Porcelina?...Galapogos??...I am disappointed. :)
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    No Porcelina?...Galapogos??...I am disappointed. :)
    I had to leave off 14 good ones --- it was inevitable ;)
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I had to leave off 14 good ones --- it was inevitable ;)

I know...what we should really do is make a 3 disc MCIS record tracklist, including B-sides...mix them in with the record...kinda like this...

Disc 1:

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
    Tonight, Tonight
    God
    Muzzle
    Bullet With Butterfly Wings
    Cherry
    Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
    Beautiful
    Mouths Of Babes
    Galapogos
    Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
    Here Is No Why
    Take Me Down
    Fuck You (An Ode To No One)

etc etc etc...

I will actually work on that and post it in this thread when it's done. :)
  • Options
    love this album, but no album reminds me of high school more than this one. everyone loved it back then and those two discs got spun alot between 95 and 97
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    I know...what we should really do is make a 3 disc MCIS record tracklist, including B-sides...mix them in with the record...kinda like this...

Disc 1:

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
    Tonight, Tonight
    God
    Muzzle
    Bullet With Butterfly Wings
    Cherry
    Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
    Beautiful
    Mouths Of Babes
    Galapogos
    Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
    Here Is No Why
    Take Me Down
    Fuck You (An Ode To No One)

etc etc etc...

I will actually work on that and post it in this thread when it's done. :)
    I bet three CDs could hold all 50+ songs from that era (except Pistachio...) if placed a certain way, so this may actually be easier ;)
    Unless you were going for three 14-track discs. If I were to do that I'd have to mess around and make a heavy, mid, and lite disc :)

Don't forget Transformer and Set the Ray to Jerry!
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I bet three CDs could hold all 50+ songs from that era (except Pistachio...) if placed a certain way, so this may actually be easier ;)
    Unless you were going for three 14-track discs. If I were to do that I'd have to mess around and make a heavy, mid, and lite disc :)

Don't forget Transformer and Set the Ray to Jerry!

Oh, i won't...and I just wrote all the songs...there's 55 all together, excluding Pistachio...so, there might have to be a few casualties...

This should be fun. :D...might take a few days. :)
  • Options
    Oh, i won't...and I just wrote all the songs...there's 55 all together, excluding Pistachio...so, there might have to be a few casualties...

This should be fun. :D...might take a few days. :)
    This is almost like making a dream setlist :D I'm gonna work on one tomorrow.
    I'm including The End is the Beginning is the End in the Mellon Collie extras since that preceded Adore. That song is the shiznit!
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    This is almost like making a dream setlist :D I'm gonna work on one tomorrow.
    I'm including The End is the Beginning is the End in the Mellon Collie extras since that preceded Adore. That song is the shiznit!

That is actually one of the few Pumpkins songs I do not own. I gotta get that soundtrack...