Options

Smashing Pumpkins - "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"

darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Such a sad and depressing album to listen to, but it's so beautiful and inspiring. The greatest double album of all time. Each song illustrates the sorrows and regrets of a hopeless romantic (from my interpretation) and it's occurences in a day and night perspective. Billy Corgan is a musical genius, and I think this album foreshows his best lyrics and writing abilities. MAY THE NEW PUMPKINS ROCK AND MELLON COLLIE BE KNOWN AS THE GREATEST DOUBLE ALBUM OF ALL TIME!!!
"Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i totally agree. Although the pumpkins can sound uneven from time to time, this album is an absolute masterpiece. It's a great thing that the pumpkins are touring this summer, its a good contingency plan in case PJ doesn't play as many shows as we are all hoping that they do
  • Options
    I love this album too but I can't stand the last song on the pink disc by James...Take Me Down, I think it is. That voice is like nails on a chalkboard.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    this is one of the greatests cds ever in rock
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Any album that says "fuck you" to the record company automatically gets points in my book. This is indeed a masterpiece of an album though.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    I love this album too but I can't stand the last song on the pink disc by James...Take Me Down, I think it is. That voice is like nails on a chalkboard.
    Call me crazy but I love James' voice.. He's certainly no great singer, but I love his voice..

They have a little live clip of James' doing prat of "Boy's Don't Cry" on the SP myspace.. lovely :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    MAY THE NEW PUMPKINS ROCK AND MELLON COLLIE BE KNOWN AS THE GREATEST DOUBLE ALBUM OF ALL TIME!!!

of course saying this leaves it open to people coming in and ragging on you, so I will, despite really enjoying this album I mean London Calling people, done.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    Jelly Belly rocks!

Best double album is Pink Floyd's The Wall IMO
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    of course saying this leaves it open to people coming in and ragging on you, so I will, despite really enjoying this album I mean London Calling people, done.

Well now it's available all on one cd it doesn't count as a double ;)

Anyway, I must agree with the original poster, it's an incredible record. I hope Billy's tapped into that vein again for the new album.

Oh and yeah, Jellybelly is fucking good - damn Flood and Alan Moulder for burrying Jimmy Chamberlin's drums so low in the mix, it's one of his best performances.
  • Options
    U-RU-R Posts: 223
    melloncollie was good, siamese dream was priceless... quiet, hummer, disarm, soma, silverfuck.... still can't get enough of it. and for my 2 cents worth machina was under-rated too.

the new pumpkins stuff won't live up to the old. why? because most people will want to hear something like siamese or m.c.a.t.i.s. and you can't turn back time, and hopefully they won't try to, hopefully they try something new rather than trying to make it 1993 again
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Agreed its the best double album ive ever heard.
    I dont want them to turn back time and make songs that sounds like remakes.... but at the same time, i dont want them to sound like Zwan. ;)
  • Options
    This is one of my desert Island discs. I tried to write a kind of stream of conciousness extended review of it while I was travelling. See what you think:

http://furbyx4.blogspot.com/2006/02/melloncollie-and-infinite-sadness.html
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Mellon Collie is one of my favorite albums of all times.
    I've listened to it quite much recently and it's still an awesome double album.
    I went to see them here in Belgium when they came in 96 for the Mellon Collie tour.
    I was 16 and it was the best show I had seen, until PJ last year.
    I hope the new Smahsing Pumpkins' album will have the same atsmosphere...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i think this album is way too bloated. plus Billy's vocal production is pretty straight forward. i loved what Butch Vig did w/ it on Siamese Dream.
  • Options
    There are a couple throw away songs for me, but after listening to the 20 some outtakes, I have to say it's a perfect album. They should've pushed the limit and made it a triple album.

X.Y.U.
    In the Arms of Sleep
    Where Boys Fear to Tread
    Cupid de Locke
    Muzzle
    Jellybelly
    Thru the Eyes of Ruby
    Zero

Awesome...
  • Options
    i just revisited this album last night and must say i like it better now than i used to. the second disc used to really drag for me, but last night i was really into it. there are some stellar songs on there. my only problem with the album is it seems that a lot of the instruments are sort of muddled, especially on some of the heavier tracks. i wish it would be remixed or something, but really, it is an excellent record.
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Great album although I do like Gish and Siamese Dream better.. so many memories with early pumpkins.. I still have hope for the new album!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    "Bodies" has always been one of my favorite songs from this record
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    to forgive
    or love are probably my favorites

edit: wow just chcked website and July 7th is new album...any rumored dates for a north american tour yet? i wasn't at the concert-going stage of my life when machina came out so i can't wait to see them live
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    hodge wrote:
    to forgive
    or love are probably my favorites

edit: wow just chcked website and July 7th is new album...any rumored dates for a north american tour yet? i wasn't at the concert-going stage of my life when machina came out so i can't wait to see them live
    One can hope they make their way around. To get you excited, check this out:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=4155599&postcount=61
  • Options
    My favorite songs are Muzzle, Thru the Eyes of Ruby, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, Jellybelly, X.Y.U., Beautiful, Galapagos, Tonight Tonight, and Where Boys Fear to Tread, Here is No Why, and Bodies. I know I named a lot of songs but OMG THIS ALBUM FUCKING ROCKS!!

I've heard that Zeitgeist has similar sounds to Mellon Collie and Siamese Dream, which isn't really surprising considering that Billy wanted to "go back to their roots" on the album. I hope that in future tours they mix up setlists and don't just play the hits, like what Pearl Jam does when they tour.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    dan_vedder wrote:
    Jelly Belly rocks!

Best double album is Pink Floyd's The Wall IMO

ziggy is my fav
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    If it's possible to not be into the Pumpkins', and yet BE into this album, then that is where i fit. Muzzle kills me everytime i hear it. In good ways.
  • Options
    If it's possible to not be into the Pumpkins', and yet BE into this album, then that is where i fit. Muzzle kills me everytime i hear it. In good ways.
    If you're into this album you're into the Pumpkins, and either you don't like them straying form the sound they achieved here or even more likely you aren't listening close enough to the rest of it :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Well now it's available all on one cd it doesn't count as a double ;)

Fair enough but I read somewhere the way they count double albums is the format that was dominant at the time of release is how they indicate whether or not it's a double. Besides if you want to look at it like everything is a single album until someone records enough music to fil two ipods. But all that aside I agree with whomeever (too lazy to look) said that the second cd used to be a drag but listening to it now it's fantastic. I played this at work a few weeks ago and was pleasently surprised
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    Well, I would have to say that the White Album was a better double album, but anyway:

There was this girl when I was in 8th grade who would sit and listen to Mellon Collie every day during lunch and read the lyrics...the whole bit.

Me, then the jock, always wondered what that was all about. Then, I went out and bought the album later and listened to it like nonstop in my room for like the next six months. Honestly, I still think Tonight, Tonight is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
  • Options
    i think this album is way too bloated. plus Billy's vocal production is pretty straight forward. i loved what Butch Vig did w/ it on Siamese Dream.

I agree with this statement and more...There was nothing new on this album. There was nothing that to me was so creative that I would deem this the best double album of all time. I am not a over the top fan of the Pumpkins but I am a huge fan of music so I do not discredit what the Pumpkins/Billy can and has done for music. This album left me feeling that there should had been more to offer, something to truly make this one more special then the rest. However I am excited to see what they can pull together this year with the new release.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    the beginning of Muzzle is one of the coolest things to ever enter my ear canal. those drums are intense.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Muzzle is definately the greatest Pumpkins song ever!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    I have Cupid de Locke on repeat until midnight. No reason ;););)
  • Options
    I recorded some live show on the radio from Chicago and they were playing new songs off Mellon Collie. The power blew sometime during the show and they had like a 30 min wait until they got it fixed. I was working on a science project while listening to this live event on the radio. Great double album. :D