Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    locked wrote:
    ???
    where is this song from?
    a cover I assume???

it's a song originally done by ian tyson, locked. then neil young did a cover of it. i don't know if you've seen the movie heart of gold or not, but neil tells the story about how he first heard the song and spent a bunch of money on a jukebox that had the song because he couldn't get enough of it...

anyway, one of my favourite tunes. i've only ever heard gord do a neil tune at one of his solo shows. never seen the hip do one live though...although, technically this is an ian tyson tune. :)

...oh, yeah, it's on the "comes a time" album.
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    it's a song originally done by ian tyson, locked. then neil young did a cover of it. i don't know if you've seen the movie heart of gold or not, but neil tells the story about how he first heard the song and spent a bunch of money on a jukebox that had the song because he couldn't get enough of it...

anyway, one of my favourite tunes. i've only ever heard gord do a neil tune at one of his solo shows. never seen the hip do one live though...although, technically this is an ian tyson tune. :)

...oh, yeah, it's on the "comes a time" album.

Neil has stated on many occasions that it's his favorite song of all time. Although it was originally written and performed by Ian Tyson, I actually consider it to be more of a Neil Young song. It's one of those instances where the person covering the song makes it their own, kind of like what Johnny Cash did with "Hurt". And speaking of Johnny, he also did a version of "Four Strong Winds" on American V.

Heart of Gold is probably the best concert film I've ever seen. The part at the end with Neil on stage by himself playing "The Old Laughing Lady" to an empty theatre almost moved me to tears. Anyways, I hope somebody gets the Hip's version of Four Strong Winds up on Youtube soon. I'd love to hear how they do it.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Dammit, I thought tickets went onsale today at noon for Buffalo, but it turns out it was yesterday. Tickets for this show are $500/pair on Ebay. I'm so dumb.

Guess I missed out on seeing the Hip again
  • Options
    Setlist- Brandt Centre, Regina, 01/19/07:

Rink
    Blow
    Fully
    Pigeon
    Family Band
    ABAC
    In View
    Gift
    Gems
    W.C.
    Fireworks
    Meridian
    38 Years Old
    Kids
    Poets
    Wheat
    Ocean
    Fire in the Hole
    Drop Off
    Powderfinger (Neil Young cover)
    New Orleans

Now THAT'S a f**kin setlist!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

Rink
    Blow
    Fully
    Pigeon
    Family Band
    ABAC
    In View
    Gift
    Gems
    W.C.
    Fireworks
    Meridian
    38 Years Old
    Kids
    Poets
    Wheat
    Ocean
    Fire in the Hole
    Drop Off
    New Orleans

i would say so! :) last of the unplucked gems, 38, wheat kings, pigeon camera, and locked...alll in one night?!?!?!.....and more neil too!!! :D
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    3 more sleeps 'til the Barrie show!! :D

i'm not looking forward to driving there and back on a work night though... ugh... :o
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    i would say so! :) last of the unplucked gems, 38, wheat kings, pigeon camera, and locked...alll in one night?!?!?!.....and more neil too!!! :D

Holy crap ..what a setlist!

this is like a "dream setlist" tour IMO......
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    saw them in Winnipeg Saturday night. Great performance and an amazing crowd. Too bad the setlist was a little plain

1: The Lonely End Of The Rink
    2: New Orleans Is Sinking
    3: Fully Completely
    4: Bobcaygeon
    5: The Drop-Off
    6: Ahead By A Century
    7: In View
    8: Poets
    9: Fiddler's Green
    10: World Container
    11: Springtime In Vienna
    12: At The Hundredth Meridian
    13: Long Time Running
    14: The Kids Don't Get It
    15: Courage
    16: Wheat Kings
    17: Yer Not The Ocean
    18: Three Pistols
    19: Blow At High Dough

20: Family Band
    21: 2000 Light Years From Home
    22: Little Bones

Long Time Running and Fiddler's Green were amazing, I got videos of both. Best version of 100th Meridian I've ever heard (it pushed about 12 minutes). I have to say though, I left this show a little disappointed. A few too many of the hits for my liking and it was also the shortest show I've seen from them. Then again, I'm a jaded fan who has seen them every opportunity I can for the last decade. I think part of it was seeing Regina's set compared to ours.

Edit: Forgot to mention. 2000 Light Years From Home was UNREAL!!! They hadn't played it since 1988
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    direwolf74 wrote:

Rink
    Blow
    Fully
    Pigeon
    Family Band
    ABAC
    In View
    Gift
    Gems
    W.C.
    Fireworks
    Meridian
    38 Years Old
    Kids
    Poets
    Wheat
    Ocean
    Fire in the Hole
    Drop Off
    New Orleans

Most amazing show I've ever seen! Crossing my fingers for a boot to surface soon!!! A night I won't soon forget... ahh memories.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    i just looked at there the hips website today to see if there playing anywhere near me, what do ya know there playing iriving plaza in nyc for 2 fucking nights and tix are only $25. i cant fucking wait
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    i just looked at there the hips website today to see if there playing anywhere near me, what do ya know there playing iriving plaza in nyc for 2 fucking nights and tix are only $25. i cant fucking wait

You are quite fortunate sir. Enjoy, go see both if you can.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    MCG wrote:
    You are quite fortunate sir. Enjoy, go see both if you can.
    i know iam, ill try to very much. im not a big fan, just got into them and all i have is there greatest hits cd and i love it
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    i know iam, ill try to very much. im not a big fan, just got into them and all i have is there greatest hits cd and i love it

It is a great collection thats for sure. The live show will absolutely blow you away.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I wasn't that much of a fan untill I saw them live, and they are amazing live. Made me more of a fan
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    I wasn't that much of a fan untill I saw them live, and they are amazing live. Made me more of a fan

Of course! I've converted at least a dozen people just by taking them to a live show or making them listen to a bootleg. One of my co-workers didn't like them at all, but had never seen them live. I ended up dragging her to one of their Calgary shows at MacEwan Hall last October. She was so thoroughly blown away that the Hip are now one of her favorite bands. For about a week straight she couldn't stop talking about how great the show was, and she immediately went out and bought "Yer Favourites" and "World Container".

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Man I've been trying my best to get into "World Container" but am having problems. "In View" breezes along nicely enough & "Lonely end of the rink" is arguably classic Hip.' I've been a fan from their self-titled debut and really liked "In between evolution". My fav album is a toss up between "Day for night" & "Henhouse". This new disc though just feels so rough. Downie's vocals just sound harsh and too pitchy. I'm hoping this album isn't another victim of Bob Rock's production. I'll keep trying & keep listening
  • Options
    Man I've been trying my best to get into "World Container" but am having problems. "In View" breezes along nicely enough & "Lonely end of the rink" is arguably classic Hip.' I've been a fan from their self-titled debut and really liked "In between evolution". My fav album is a toss up between "Day for night" & "Henhouse". This new disc though just feels so rough. Downie's vocals just sound harsh and too pitchy. I'm hoping this album isn't another victim of Bob Rock's production. I'll keep trying & keep listening

As I've stated before, I think World Container is easily their best album since Phantom Power, and I also think it's the best vocal performance ever by Gord Downie in the studio. I agree he does sound somewhat abrasive on songs like The Kids Don't Get It and The Drop-Off, but those songs are so freakin' intense and rockin' that if he sung them any other way it just wouldn't fit. His vocal delivery perfectly matches the intensity of the material. It's interesting that you find the album rough sounding. Personally I think it sounds a lot more polished that previous Hip records (most likely due to Bob Rock's fancy production), and it's almost the complete opposite of the production on In Between Evolution, which to me had much more of a raw, live-off-the-floor sound. Before the album came out I was worried that Bob Rock would water them down too much and polish off their edges, but when I heard the album I was absolutely floored by how great it sounded. I think Bob did a nice job of harnessing the band's strengths and just letting them rip in up in the studio. The boys play their asses off on this record and the energy leaps right out of the speakers. I've had the album in constant rotation since I bought it, and I can't stop listening to it. The only song I have an issue with is the title track. I think Bob went a little overboard on the overdubs and keyboards, and a great song ends up buried underneath too much production. But that's a minor complaint. I think the album as a whole ranks right up there with their best material.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    damn..
    that Hip musuem is like a black hole in time..

http://www.hipmuseum.com/

its sucks you in and before you know it..
    two hours have gone by...

damn addictive!..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    damn..
    that Hip musuem is like a black hole in time..

http://www.hipmuseum.com/

its sucks you in and before you know it..
    two hours have gone by...

damn addictive!..

My buddy Steve from Ottawa runs that site, and I agree, it's highly addictive. For my money it's the most interesting Hip site on the Net.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Setlist- Fort William Gardens, Thunder Bay, ON, 01/22/07:

Rink
    Courage
    Twist
    Gus
    Family Band
    ABAC
    In View
    Pretend
    Long Time
    Fireworks
    Meridian
    Bobcaygeon
    Kids
    Fully
    Scared
    Ocean
    New O.
    Fire
    ---
    Verge
    Going Going Gone (Bob Dylan)
    Blow

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    no Grace, Too?
  • Options
    Setlist- Steelback Centre, Saulte St. Marie, ON 01/23/07:

Rink
    New O.
    Grace
    Good Life
    Drop Off
    ABAC
    Fly
    Poets
    Boots
    World
    Springtime
    Meridian
    Sherpa
    In View
    Gift
    Bobcaygeon
    Ocean
    Music
    Blow
    Are We Family
    Six Days On The Road (Dave Dudley cover)
    Bones

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Setlist- Steelback Centre, Saulte St. Marie, ON 01/23/07:

Rink
    New O.
    Grace
    Good Life
    Drop Off
    ABAC
    Fly
    Poets
    Boots
    World
    Springtime
    Meridian
    Sherpa
    In View
    Gift
    Bobcaygeon
    Ocean
    Music
    Blow
    Are We Family
    Six Days On The Road (Dave Dudley cover)
    Bones

MAv just made a correction, family band instead of are we family ;)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    MAv just made a correction, family band instead of are we family ;)

I stand corrected. Family Band is an amazing tune, but Are We Family would have been just as good. I love that song.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Heard these guys for the first time today, my trainer was playing it in the gym while I pumped iron, I liked it, reminded me a lot of the Tres Hombres !!
    I lked the way the guitar played around the melody instead of trudging along underneath it.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    jamainiacjamainiac Posts: 429
    Anybody going to the Hip show at the Moore in Seattle 03/29/07??

I was fortunate to score GA Floors!! TOTALLY STOKED !!!

I'll have to catchup on my Hip stuff... I fell off the rails around Phantom Power...

I'll pick up the new album this week... World Container? How is it?? Any thoughts... Do I need to buy anything that I missed??

Geeze I can't wait! :D

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo..... I just read through some of the posts and now I'm actually 'tingly' :p I'll pick up the new album on the way home today :)
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • Options
    jamainiac wrote:
    Anybody going to the Hip show at the Moore in Seattle 03/29/07??

I was fortunate to score GA Floors!! TOTALLY STOKED !!!

I'll have to catchup on my Hip stuff... I fell off the rails around Phantom Power...

I'll pick up the new album this week... World Container? How is it?? Any thoughts... Do I need to buy anything that I missed??

Geeze I can't wait! :D

World Container isn't being released in the U.S until March 6th, although you might be able to find it as an import at certain stores since you're fairly close to the border. Or you could always order it online from Amazon Canada for pretty cheap. Just choose priority shipping and you'll have it on your doorstep within a few days:

http://www.amazon.ca/World-Container-Tragically-Hip/dp/B000IHYB9G/sr=1-1/qid=1169663570/ref=sr_1_1/702-8361716-4990425?ie=UTF8&s=music

I also recommend picking up their last record "In Between Evolution". Great album! It was actually recorded in your neck of the woods by longtime Pearl Jam producer Adam Kasper. "In Violet Light" and "Music@Work" are also excellent albums. Have fun at the Seattle show, and don't be surprised if you spot Jeff Ament at the show. Apparently he's been a Hip fan since the early 90s.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    jamainiacjamainiac Posts: 429
    direwolf74 wrote:
    World Container isn't being released in the U.S until March 6th, although you might be able to find it as an import at certain stores since you're fairly close to the border. Or you could always order it online from Amazon Canada for pretty cheap. Just choose priority shipping and you'll have it on your doorstep within a few days:

http://www.amazon.ca/World-Container-Tragically-Hip/dp/B000IHYB9G/sr=1-1/qid=1169663570/ref=sr_1_1/702-8361716-4990425?ie=UTF8&s=music

I also recommend picking up their last record "In Between Evolution". Great album! It was actually recorded in your neck of the woods by longtime Pearl Jam producer Adam Kasper. "In Violet Light" and "Music@Work" are also excellent albums. Have fun at the Seattle show, and don't be surprised if you spot Jeff Ament at the show. Apparently he's been a Hip fan since the early 90s.

Hey! Very Cool... thanks for all the info! Ironically enough... I used to have a hard time getting PJ releases in Canada... now I'm south of the border and now it's The Hip :p

I was going to swear off of iTunes for buying music... but I think I can get the new album on there so I'll download it today. Thanks for the nods to the other albums as well... I'll have to pick them up!

My 'Gord Downie' story from way back in the winter of 1990... in a tiny bar called The Regent in Summerside PEI ... will remain one of my all time greatest :D I have my doubts that Gord will haul me up on stage at the Moore... but I'm sure we'll have a great time just the same :)
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Hey guys! I was at the Barrie show last night! 9th row... what fun! :D

I took my uncle to the show - he loved it! I caught him singing Blow At High Dough at breakfast this morning! :p:)

The haven't posted the set list yet, but here's what I can remember:

Lonely End of the Rink
    Fully Completely
    Three Pistols
    Fiddler's Green! :D
    100th Meridian
    Blow at High Dough
    Ahead By A Century
    Bobcaygeon
    You're Not The Ocean
    World Container
    The Kids Dont' Get It
    Luv sic.
    In View
    Springtime in Vienna
    New Orleans
    Wheat Kings
    Gift Shop
    Family Band
    On The Verge
    Train In Vain (The Clash) :cool:

Can't wait for Oshawa next week! still holding out for Scared, Long Time Running, and It's A Good Life!! *crosses fingers* ;)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed the show! Nice to see "Luv(sic)" back in the setlist again. They haven't really played that one since the club shows and it's one of my favorites off the new record. Here's an MP3 of "Train in Vain" from last night's show, courtesy of Chris at Hipbase. That might be the best cover tune I've ever heard them do. Enjoy!

http://www.thehundredthmeridian.com/downloads/tth2007-01-25-Barrie-Train_In_Vain.mp3

-Tom Waits