Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    *bump*

Just rescuing the thread from page 4. That is all.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I still think Day for Night is their definitive masterpiece. They have yet to top it in my opinion. Although, Phantom Power and World Container both came really close. DFN was the sound of the Hip stretching out their artistic legs and trying new things. I remember lining up at midnight at HMV to buy it on release day. I got it home, excitedly threw it on the stereo and cranked it up nice and loud. On first listen it wasn't as instantly catchy or accessible as their previous records, and it took me quite a few spins to fully absorb it. But once I did, I became absolutely addicted to it. I played the shit out of that album for an entire year and completely wore out my cassette copy, so I had to go buy again on CD. I'm now on my 3rd copy of the album (my 2nd copy was stolen from a house party).

I agree...took me a while to absorb the album at first, but its one of my all time favourites. I'd say Fully Completely, Day for Night, and Henhouse is the Hip at their absolute best. Not to forget their other great albums, but to me that was the era that they were amongst the best bands in the world.

I really hope their next album gets away from the typical Hip classic rock sound..I liked World Container, but i'd like to hear them try some new things. Maybe stripped down and more acoustic, more folky or something. I dunno, seems musically they have fallen into that predictability a bit. But Gord Downie's lyrics always keep things interesting.
  • Options
    SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    For me the Tragically Hip albums come in 3 classes.

The Outstanding :
    Fully, Completely
    Phantom Power
    In Between Evolutions.

The Great :
    In Violet Light
    Day For Night
    Road Apples
    Up To Here

The Good :
    World Container
    Music@Work
    Henhouse
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    I really hope their next album gets away from the typical Hip classic rock sound..I liked World Container, but i'd like to hear them try some new things.

I'm the opposite. I thought the band was kind of spinning their wheels on both In Violet Light and In Between Evolution, but on World Container they stretched out and made things much more interesting musically: the Police-like guitar echo and dance-rock breakdowns on "Lonely End of the Rink", the reggae-rock feel of "The Kids Don't Get It", the sugary sweet melodies and hooks of "In View" are just a few examples of the Hip trying things that they've never tried before, and it works wonderfully. My only gripe with the album is that a couple of the tracks are a tad bit overproduced and could have benefited from a more stripped down approach (Pretend, World Container), but overall I think it's the most cohesive and focused album they've done in quite some time, and it's a great example of the Hip having fun in the studio and not being afraid to let their influences shine.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Soupy wrote:
    For me the Tragically Hip albums come in 3 classes.

The Outstanding :
    Fully, Completely
    Phantom Power
    In Between Evolutions.

The Great :
    In Violet Light
    Day For Night
    Road Apples
    Up To Here

The Good :
    World Container
    Music@Work
    Henhouse

Here's mine:

The Outstanding:
    Day for Night
    Phantom Power
    Trouble at the Henhouse
    World Container

The Great:
    Fully Completely
    Road Apples
    Up to Here
    In Between Evolution

The Good:
    In Violet Light
    Music@Work
    the E.P.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Some highlights of the World Container tour, courtesy of Youtube. Enjoy!

Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park, live in Pittsburgh:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WkD8jxCP5zI

Lake Fever, Charlottetown, P.E.I.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-NqVwHceCJQ

Fiddler's Green, Toronto:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=07L6isHG7gI

Girl accidentally gets hit by Gord's mic stand, so he gives it to her as a gift:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=3XCAj__Km-M

Grace, Too in Vancouver (love this one!):
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6DoEBkU3ZYE

Jumpin' Jack Flash (Stones cover), Seattle:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=D5Ygn4Qvpkc

I Want You (Bob Dylan cover), Clifton Park, NY:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nHnrPMri2DE

The Lonely End of the Rink, Barrie, ON:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9t4FJUVpak8

World Container, Montreal:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8nn5awnlbyE

Yer Not the Ocean, Seattle:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wC6HNdbQIsc

Ahead by a Century, Seattle (I was at this one!):
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=afKB4yfXbho

The Kids Don't Get it, Seattle:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zr8XRBHt7iE

Gord wipes out during Fully Completely in Hampton Beach:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=HUmEZvwA0y4

Long Time Running, Paradiso, Amsterdam:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=0KIBbkSf-YY

Twist My Arm, Erie, PA:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nDi_FcuPcdo

Gord lecturing the idiots in the crowd, Vancouver:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=5kWnjFkH1Ys

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Picked up Live Between Us for $7 last night... can't wait to listen! :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Picked up Live Between Us for $7 last night... can't wait to listen! :)

cant beleive you didnt have it already! i'd say it's the best live album i own.
  • Options
    cant beleive you didnt have it already! i'd say it's the best live album i own.

haha... i know... sadly, my actual Hip cd collection is seriously lacking! :o

but there's a music store near me that's having a closing sale, so i imagine i'll be back there again to fill in some holes... :p
  • Options
    haha... i know... sadly, my actual Hip cd collection is seriously lacking! :o

but there's a music store near me that's having a closing sale, so i imagine i'll be back there again to fill in some holes... :p

i went to amazon and ordered the 4 i was missing from the marketplace for a combined $24. i used to have them all...
  • Options
    *bump*

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    *bump*

no setlist? ;)

i've been rebuilding my hip collection. i used to have them all, but when times got tight in college i ended up selling a lot of my albums. it's been fun rehearing up to here and so on instead of just the greatest hits :)
  • Options
    Finally listened to Live Between Us!! it was great!

Loved the version of Scared...

And especially Nautical Disaster :D... now i will always be reminded of my dear friend the 'curmudgeonly lighthousekeeper'... ;):p
  • Options

And especially Nautical Disaster :D... now i will always be reminded of my dear friend the 'curmudgeonly lighthousekeeper'... ;):p

oh! and i can't forget Springtime in M.Fn' Vienna! :D
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007

No bigger Hip fan (well except Dire Wolf) but I HATE that live CD..
    It so misrepresents them and is sloppy as hell (Gords vocal on Grace in particular... just awful..)...

The High Sierra 7/1/95 show is sooo much better...

IMO..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    No bigger Hip fan (well except Dire Wolf) but I HATE that live CD..
    It so misrepresents them and is sloppy as hell (Gords vocal on Grace in particular... just awful..)...

The High Sierra 7/1/95 show is sooo much better...

IMO..

I like "Live Between Us", but I somewhat agree with Locked on this one. It's not even close to being one of their best shows. Of all the incredible shows they have stashed away in their vaults, it's strange that they ended up choosing this one. If they ever decide to release another live record, I think one of the "World Container" shows would be amazing. The band was firing on all cylinders on this tour, and I think they need to commemorate it somehow. A DVD would be cool too.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    oh! and i can't forget Springtime in M.Fn' Vienna! :D

That particular version of Springtime kicks ass. It's one of the only songs on that record that really sticks out in my opinion (along with The Luxury, Scared, and The Wherewithal).

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I like "Live Between Us", but I somewhat agree with Locked on this one. It's not even close to being one of their best shows. Of all the incredible shows they have stashed away in their vaults, it's strange that they ended up choosing this one. If they ever decide to release another live record, I think one of the "World Container" shows would be amazing. The band was firing on all cylinders on this tour, and I think they need to commemorate it somehow. A DVD would be cool too.

I agree 100%...

preferably one of those kick ass canadian setlists!!

I'd love to see NOIS>Nautical-full version>NOIS..

what show was that?

I think they would need to revive me if I was in the audience when the pulled that out!!

Holy S**T!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    I agree 100%...

preferably one of those kick ass canadian setlists!!

I'd love to see NOIS>Nautical-full version>NOIS..

what show was that?

I think they would need to revive me if I was in the audience when the pulled that out!!

Holy S**T!

I think that was the Sudbury or London show where they did that. That reminds me of when they first introduced Nautical Disaster way back in 1993 on the Another Roadside Attraction tour. The Hip would play "New Orleans is Sinking" and then during the middle-section "Nautical" would slowly emerge as a fully fleshed-out song that nobody had ever heard before. It was incredible. To get a sense of what it sounded like to hear that for the first time, check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=59H0bxpYxyo

It's weird watching old video footage and seeing Gord with a full head of hair, lol.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    I gots me a question. Why the hell don't they play Fifty Mission Cap anymore?
  • Options
    I gots me a question. Why the hell don't they play Fifty Mission Cap anymore?

they are just givin it a rest. it will be back.

The fifty mission cap was the leather hat given to the aces of the Allied airforces in World War II to signify their participation in 50 aerial missions.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    Seen the Hip 13 times and they were phenomenal everytime. If you want a nice add to your collection try to track down their VHS tape Heksenketel (sp) One of my favourite Hip items forsure! I was fortunate to go to school with a kid named Charlie Powell back home who's dad was their road manager for many years. I had a couple opportunities to meet them all and although a little stoned :) a good group of guys LOL. Gord is really brilliant but somewhat aloof at the same time. He signed my Trouble at the Henhouse cd "All unaccompanied luggage will be removed, Love Gord" the others just laughed and then also signed. Guess they heard that alot being in and out of airports all the time on tour?
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    Rescued from page 7 :eek:, with real honest-to-goodness news! :)
    Seasons Greetings,

We'd like to wish everyone a happy and healthy holiday season and new year.

Thanks for making 2007 such a memorable year for us. Its been a blast having you along for the ride. As a thank you, on Monday, December 17th we will have a free download of a live soundboard recording available from our 2007 tour.

For those in the Kingston area, we have a special show announcement. We are honoured to be performing the inaugural concert at the Kingston Regional Sports and Entertainment Centre on Saturday, February 23rd. Proceeds from this show will benefit the Lake Ontario Waterkeeper and Camp Trillium

Tickets for the show go onsale to the public on Friday, December 14th at 10:00am. For Registered Users of thehip.com, there is an exclusive presale starting on Wednesday, December 12th at 10:00am. Visit thehip.com for more details or to become a Registered User.

All the best,
    The Hip
  • Options
    good news?? me having to wait a week to hear a live hip bootleg is terrible news! how am i supposed to concentrate on finals? ;)
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Anyone have any good links to some solid live shows?
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    Anyone have any good links to some solid live shows?

your best bet is the tracker ! http://thehiptracker.com/

edit : also got the email today, can't wait to see (hear) which show is selected!
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Would anybody be kind enough to burn me a CD copy of the recording and mail it to me? My computer licks ass and it takes forever for me to download stuff...not to mention I'm still living in the stone age with no CD burner, and I don't own an iPod or anything. (my next big purchase is a new computer with all the fixins). C'mon, it would be fun! It'd be like a taking a trip down memory lane to the good old "blanks & postage" tape trading days of yore!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Would anybody be kind enough to burn me a CD copy of the recording and mail it to me? My computer licks ass and it takes forever for me to download stuff...not to mention I'm still living in the stone age with no CD burner, and I don't own an iPod or anything. (my next big purchase is a new computer with all the fixins). C'mon, it would be fun! It'd be like a taking a trip down memory lane to the good old "blanks & postage" tape trading days of yore!

send me your info, dire.... i'll get it out to 'ya! :)
  • Options
    send me your info, dire.... i'll get it out to 'ya! :)

Awesome! You are now officially my favorite person. I'll PM you my info. Thanks a bunch!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    has anyone gotten this live show yet? i was just kicking around their website and couldn't find it. is it not up yet?