Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    nope, nothin' yet.... i can't wait to see which show it's going to be!! :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    nope, nothin' yet.... i can't wait to see which show it's going to be!! :)

long as it isn't just me. we'll keep this nice and visible until we all get it ;)
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    You gotta log in to see it, and for those expecting a full show you'll be disappointed - it's only 5 songs : (

bummer
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    You gotta log in to see it, and for those expecting a full show you'll be disappointed - it's only 5 songs : (

bummer

seriously? i'm not registered, but if it's only 5 songs i don't know if i'll bother. they said a fullshow?

:(
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    how can ya not bother?? what's so hard about right clickin
    > save as

five solid tunes that sound killer, i know it does suck that it wasnt a full show, but let's re-cap with the email that was sent out

Seasons Greetings,

We'd like to wish everyone a happy and healthy holiday season and new year.

Thanks for making 2007 such a memorable year for us. Its been a blast having you along for the ride. As a thank you, on Monday, December 17th we will have a free download of a live soundboard recording available from our 2007 tour.

For those in the Kingston area, we have a special show announcement. We are honoured to be performing the inaugural concert at the Kingston Regional Sports and Entertainment Centre on Saturday, February 23rd. Proceeds from this show will benefit the Lake Ontario Waterkeeper and Camp Trillium

Tickets for the show go onsale to the public on Friday, December 14th at 10:00am. For Registered Users of thehip.com, there is an exclusive presale starting on Wednesday, December 12th at 10:00am. Visit thehip.com for more details or to become a Registered User.

All the best,
    The Hip
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    that's cool. im not pissed at the band or anything. i'm just too lazy to register with their website is all. especially for a 5 song live ep i probably won't listen to a whole lot. they need to release another full length live album ;)
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    how can ya not bother?? what's so hard about right clickin
    > save as

Exactly. Any live Hip is a good thing, even if it's just 5 songs.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    "a free download of a live soundboard recording"

I think at first read this sounds like a full show. I'm not pissed either, but I was really hoping for a full show. Meh, guess we can just hope for a live cd in the future again sometime.
  • Options
    *bump*

Anybody going to the Kingston show in February? I heard it sold out within minutes. They haven't played their hometown since 2004, so no surprise there.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    *bump*

Anybody going to the Kingston show in February? I heard it sold out within minutes. They haven't played their hometown since 2004, so no surprise there.

the day they went on sale, i pulled up a couple of 14th row tix, but i let them go because they came out to $80 each :eek:... i have no idea why that bothered me at the time, but it did.... i'm sure closer to the day, i'll start to regret it... :o
  • Options
    the day they went on sale, i pulled up a couple of 14th row tix, but i let them go because they came out to $80 each :eek:... i have no idea why that bothered me at the time, but it did.... i'm sure closer to the day, i'll start to regret it... :o

I agree $80 is a little steep, but a hometown show by the Hip is a pretty big deal around those parts, so I'm not surprised they're that expensive. Also don't forget the $10 in service charges slapped on by the kind folks at Ticketbastard.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Rochester Democrat & Chronicle lists the Hip as one of the best shows of 2007. Check it out:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071227/ENT0501/712270363/1077/ENT05

"The Tragically Hip at the Harro East Ballroom, March 8. A rock band ripping on all cylinders in front of a beered-up crowd is an awesome sight. You're not a spectator, you're a participant. It's like feeling the engines at Daytona, as hands-on as dissecting your first worm in biology class. It's visceral."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    I was just watching some DVD's of the Hip's Canada Day performances back in 1992 and 1993..

even back then... their live show was like no other...

I kinda compare them to the Doors as far as improvisation ability... Gord and the band...

each gives to the other, until it builds and builds and builds into this explosion of emotion, energy and rock and roll...

pure genius, everyone on the same wavelength..

still can't figure how anyone survived in those massive swaying oceans of people in the crowds...

get a little claustrophobic (sp?) looking at them..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Newfie Joe was trying to get me to like The Hip back in '05 when i met him ....

... i bought a couple of CDs on the spot in St. Johns ... i just never really got in to it as much as i hoped ...

i think they have a good sound, but i don't get that "hooked" feeling that i was hoping for ...

The only two songs that consistently grab me, i'll probably get laughed at, but sue me for having excessive-POP-sensibility ...

Yer Not The Ocean
    and

My Music At Work

Given that,
    anyone got a recommendation that may make me more of a convert?

(BTW i'm consistently amazed at how long this thread sticks around, and how LONG it is. You Hip fans are BEYOND FANATICAL. :D )
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    locked wrote:
    I was just watching some DVD's of the Hip's Canada Day performances back in 1992 and 1993..

even back then... their live show was like no other...

I kinda compare them to the Doors as far as improvisation ability... Gord and the band...

each gives to the other, until it builds and builds and builds into this explosion of emotion, energy and rock and roll...

pure genius, everyone on the same wavelength..

still can't figure how anyone survived in those massive swaying oceans of people in the crowds...

get a little claustrophobic (sp?) looking at them..

did you get these on the hip tracker? i can't seem to login there anymore :(
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    can you believe the songs and the length of this set i saw back in 2000 in vancouver:

1: My Music At Work
    2: Grace, Too
    3: Fully Completely
    4: Tiger The Lion
    5: Twist My Arm
    6: Puttin' Down
    7: Giftshop
    8: Titanic Terrarium
    9: Fireworks
    10: The Completists
    11: Springtime In Vienna
    12: Greasy Jungle
    13: Ahead By A Century
    14: Something On

15: Wheat Kings
    16: Train Overnight
    17: Boots Or Hearts
    18: Emperor Penguin
    19: Courage (For Hugh Maclennan)
    20: Lake Fever
    21: Daredevil
    22: At The Hundredth Meridian
    23: Long Time Running
    24: Poets
    25: Flamenco
    26: Nautical Disaster
    27: Stay
    28: New Orleans Is Sinking
    29: Fire In The Hole

30: An Inch An Hour
    31: Bobcaygeon
    32: Little Bones

lucky me, wish i could relive that one
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    can you believe the songs and the length of this set i saw back in 2000 in vancouver:

1: My Music At Work
    2: Grace, Too
    3: Fully Completely
    4: Tiger The Lion
    5: Twist My Arm
    6: Puttin' Down
    7: Giftshop
    8: Titanic Terrarium
    9: Fireworks
    10: The Completists
    11: Springtime In Vienna
    12: Greasy Jungle
    13: Ahead By A Century
    14: Something On

15: Wheat Kings
    16: Train Overnight
    17: Boots Or Hearts
    18: Emperor Penguin
    19: Courage (For Hugh Maclennan)
    20: Lake Fever
    21: Daredevil
    22: At The Hundredth Meridian
    23: Long Time Running
    24: Poets
    25: Flamenco
    26: Nautical Disaster
    27: Stay
    28: New Orleans Is Sinking
    29: Fire In The Hole

30: An Inch An Hour
    31: Bobcaygeon
    32: Little Bones

lucky me, wish i could relive that one

Ah yes, the "evening with" tour. I saw them 3 times on that tour and it was amazing. Over the course of the tour I'm pretty sure they played just about every song in their catalogue (with the exception of the EP). Chris Brown and Kate Fenner were great additions to the band. Chris' keyboard playing on Gift Shop was especially cool, and Kate's vocal turns on songs like Yawning or Snarling and Flamenco were incredible. Good times!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    here's a partial radio broadcast i downloaded the other day

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4ABD64144BC0449F

some great old tracks, recorded on my 14th b-day! (nov 2nd 1989)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Hi Folks,

We are happy to announce the next show in thehip.com Presents Concert Series.

Thursday February 21, 2008
    Brockville Arts Centre
    Brockville, Ontario

Tickets onsale:
    Friday February 1st at 10:00am (est)

Doors: 7:00pm
    Show: 8:00pm
    Tickets: $50.00 plus Service Charges
    Reserved Seating
    Limit two (2) tickets per order
    All Ages Show

Tickets are only available to be purchased by Registered Users of thehip.com

Instructions: Registered Users who log onto http://www.thehip.com at 10:00am on
    Friday February 1st will see an icon on the right side of the homepage
    with a password and link to purchase tickets.

Major credit cards are the only method of payment accepted.

Visit http://www.thehip.com for more information on the show and how to sign up
    to become a Registered User.

For more information on the venue visit http://www.brockvilleartscentre.com

Please note, tickets for this show will NOT be available for purchase at the venue’s box office.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

No hard tickets will be sent out prior to the show dates.
    All tickets are to be picked up, at 7:00pm on the evening of the performance, by the individual who purchased the tickets. All people in the purchasers party MUST be present at time of pick-up.
    Once tickets are picked up, ticket holders must enter the venue.
    No In/Outs.
    Photo ID of purchaser and credit card used to make the purchase will be required to claim the tickets.
    Tickets are non-transferable.
    There will be no exceptions to the rules. The rules are instituted for you, the fans, so that tickets do not end up in the hands of ticket resellers.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i just got that too, luck ontary airy oh.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    What a great way to sell tickets. I love the hip for that. Let the true fans get the great seats.

I wish more bands would follow.
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    their hometown show in a few weeks is gonna be tits
    :)
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    Newfie Joe was trying to get me to like The Hip back in '05 when i met him ....

... i bought a couple of CDs on the spot in St. Johns ... i just never really got in to it as much as i hoped ...

i think they have a good sound, but i don't get that "hooked" feeling that i was hoping for ...

The only two songs that consistently grab me, i'll probably get laughed at, but sue me for having excessive-POP-sensibility ...

Yer Not The Ocean
    and

My Music At Work

Given that,
    anyone got a recommendation that may make me more of a convert?

(BTW i'm consistently amazed at how long this thread sticks around, and how LONG it is. You Hip fans are BEYOND FANATICAL. :D )

Click on "Holiday Download" http://www.thehip.com/ There's some good stuff there (5 songs).

Here's a couple others - if you don't like them the hip probably aren't for you
    Locked In The Trunk Of A Car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2NAZ6otps

Fully Completely - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGyKECUh80

Grace Too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEC0qru9MJE (not the whole song - but great energy)
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Grace Too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEC0qru9MJE (not the whole song - but great energy)

That short little 2 1/2 minute clip proves beyond a doubt that Gord Downie is the best frontman in rock. No one else even comes close in my opinion.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Just for fun, here's a couple more clips of Gord doing his thing:

Sperm whale rant:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=vfDsAlVgSKI

Lecturing the fans on fighting:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=5kWnjFkH1Ys

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Song of the day at thehip.com: "Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man" from Irving Plaza in NY. What a beautiful song.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *bump*

Just rescuing the thread. It's pretty quiet in here when the boys aren't touring, but remember people, we'll most likely have a new Hip album in our hands before 2008 is up. In the meantime just hang in there and listen to plenty of Wintersleep.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    *bump*

Just rescuing the thread. It's pretty quiet in here when the boys aren't touring, but remember people, we'll most likely have a new Hip album in our hands before 2008 is up. In the meantime just hang in there and listen to plenty of Wintersleep.

:D:D

just listening to Opiated from the Hip Holiday Download right now! :)

ok... i have a topic of Hip conversation: killlerwhaletank.

which show is this from? did it only happen once? how did it get caught on tape? did someone just happen to bootleg it?
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    *bump*

before 2008? you really think so? that would be incredible.

wintersleep on saturday!
  • Options
    Setlist- Brockville Arts Centre, Brockville, ON 02/21/08:

Rink
    NOIS
    Fully
    Grace
    Good Life
    ABAC
    In View
    Gift
    Fireworks
    World
    Fiddler's
    Kids
    Courage
    Poets
    Bob C.
    Nautical
    Ocean
    38 Years
    Family B.
    Music
    Blow
    Wheat
    Bones

Up next- the big hometown show in Kingston! Damn, I wish I could be there.

-Tom Waits