Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    finally! a song of the day from a show i WAS at! :D

and it's one of my faves! :cool:

when the colour of night........ HUUHHH!
    and all the smoke for one night.... YEAHHH!

:p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    you know, i really dig the hip, but do we need every setlist for every show they play posted here? i mean, don't they have their own website where people can find setlists if they want them? if you went to a show and want to talk about it, that's cool. but i keep getting teased when this gets bumped expecting something new and interesting in the hip world, only to find its just another setlist.
  • Options
    whatever, soulsinging... :rolleyes: havin' a bad day, are we? you should put on some Hip and cheer up.... :p

i love being kept up to date with setlists here... becuase i'm always here!
    i love that i can share Hip stuff with my PJ people, because then we have two great things in common, and that's twice as good!
    i love that this thread is the longest running thread in the entire Other Music forum, besides the incredibly innane Music Game threads....

here's some news.... i noticed today that they finally removed the streaming of World Container from the music player on thehip.com.....

there... news enough for ya?
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    you know, i really dig the hip, but do we need every setlist for every show they play posted here? .

YES WE DO...!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    you know, i really dig the hip, but do we need every setlist for every show they play posted here? i mean, don't they have their own website where people can find setlists if they want them? if you went to a show and want to talk about it, that's cool. but i keep getting teased when this gets bumped expecting something new and interesting in the hip world, only to find its just another setlist.

did this really need to be your 28,380th post? this is just an excuse to get to 30,000 quicker isn't it!!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622

Somebody's cranky.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    just curious.
  • Options
    just curious.

the tours over, you have nothing to worry about now.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    the tours over, you have nothing to worry about now.

Yup. I'm pretty sure that was the longest tour they've ever done. They must be exhausted. It'll probably be a while before we see them on the road again, but at least I have the new Wintersleep, Cuff the Duke, and Weakerthans records to tide me over until the next Hip album comes out. What a great year it's been for new music!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    just curious.
    Quit being a douche. This is the other music forum to discuss other music.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Yup. I'm pretty sure that was the longest tour they've ever done. They must be exhausted. It'll probably be a while before we see them on the road again, but at least I have the new Wintersleep, Cuff the Duke, and Weakerthans records to tide me over until the next Hip album comes out. What a great year it's been for new music!

yeah, im pretty bummed i wasn't able to catch them at the house of blues when they were in chicago. looks like i'll have to wait a while. the new stuff is the best they've done in a while imho.
  • Options
    anybody know why the Hip completely abandoned the "live download" thing?

Christ, the even beat PJ to the punch and then posted, what?
    three shows...

I love these guys to death but they are idiots about marketing to their strengths (i.e live shows)..

and don't get me started about keeping US fans from purchasing their Song of the day Collections from itunes...
    Canada only..?
    What the hell is that all about?
    (more bitching) I can't even get one Canuck to trade me for those itunes live releases..

I've got more than enough non-Hip A++ boots to compensate anyone..

There, I 've had my say..

I did get to see "fiddler's green" though so i can die a happy fan..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    anybody know why the Hip completely abandoned the "live download" thing?

Christ, the even beat PJ to the punch and then posted, what?
    three shows...

I love these guys to death but they are idiots about marketing to their strengths (i.e live shows)..

Agreed. They totally dropped the ball when it comes to the live download thing. The '07 tour was one of the best they've ever done, and I'm surprised they didn't release a few of the shows from this tour...especially with all the rare gems and cool cover songs they were sprinkling into the sets. Personally I'm hoping for an official DVD release from this tour. Hell, even a double-live album taken from different shows would be cool. And what about that long-gestating rarities collection that the band has been talking about over the last few years?? During the In Violet Light tour, Robby mentioned that they were in the process of sifting through mountains of unreleased tape they have in the vaults at their home studio for a future rarities set. They have so many great unreleased songs that didn't make it onto albums, and I'd kill to hear some of that stuff in one big-ass collection. Two of my favorites from over the years:

Montreal (probably the greatest song they never released. Check out the story behind the song here: http://www.hipmuseum.com/montreal.html)
    http://www.hipmuseum.com/moninmon.mp3

Fighter Fighter (ass-kicking rock song from the IBE sessions)
    http://www.hipmuseum.com/fighter.mp3

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    and don't forget "Get back again"..

I actually talked to Bobby about it back in 1995 post-show.

Like you DW, he told me about all the great "B" sides they have laying around after each CD is cut down.

I asked him why they didn't just put the leftovers on the very next record (and get a head start) and he looked at me like I had three heads (????)

If Pearl Jam had done that, we would have gotten Alone, Sad, Undone, Fatal, and Hard to Imagine long before "Lost Dogs"..came around..

Is it me?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Concert review from New York:

A Hip Invasion From Up North
    Sean McGrath, Staff Writer

Anyone who was not on the seventh floor of The Manhattan Center on the night of Oct. 23 was in the wrong place. Around 800 people were lucky enough to experience a Canadian rock invasion upon the United States led by The Tragically Hip and Joel Plaskett Emergency. These two bands put on an unforgettable show.

Joel Plaskett warmed up the thin crowd of mostly Canadian expatriates (although there were fans from as far away as Florida and South Carolina) with some solid tunes from their new CD, Ashtray Rock, such as "Snowed In" and "Face of the Earth." Although most of the crowd hadn't heard of the opening act before that night, the band really got the crowd going as more and more Hip fans filtered in. That's one of the great things about the Hip; they always pick great opening acts.

The anticipation could be felt and heard in between sets as the fans chanted, "HIP! HIP! HIP!" When the band finally walked on stage, the (now quite large) crowd erupted. Gord Downie, the frontman, gave the crowd a wave and wasted no time getting into the music. They opened with a single from their 10th full-length album, World Container, released in October 2006 entitled "The Lonely End of the Rink."

Although the rest of the band provides most of the music, Gord Downie is the face of the Hip. Some call him crazy. Some call him a god. Some both, but one thing is for sure: He puts on an amazing show with his singing, goofy dance moves, and interaction with the crowd. Gord's got the dance moves of Mick Jagger and the spontaneity of Ozzy Ozbourne. He frequently leans over to interact with the front row of the audience. At one point he pretended the microphone was stuck in the middle of his chest, had an audience member pull it out, and then gave the microphone to him.

The setlist was balanced very well with songs from the new cd and classic hits from their older cds. "Nautical Disaster," "At The Hundredth Meridian," and "New Orleans is Sinking," and several other songs from their first three albums were played. Before Gord Played "New Orleans is Sinking," he shouted, "This one's for Bush! New Orleans is sinking and I don't want to help!"

This show was on the last leg of a tour that started all the way back in October 2006. The band toured in Canada, both coasts of the US, and Europe. In an informal interview after the show, lead guitarist Rob Baker had this to say, "We feel that we have a really strong album and that we should really put it out there. We're excited to go back home and start recording again, too."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    so what's the verdict on hipeponymous folks? they've got it at the local used shop for $40. im trying to decide if it's worth the splurge. it looks pretty cool with the book and all. i've never seen any of their promos, so that disc might be interesting for me. how's the live dvd? i've already got yer favorites, but i could part with it if i grabbed that...
  • Options
    cmon ya fuckin canucks... you can post daily setlists but can't help me ou? ;)
  • Options
    go get the box set...its great to have all the videos and the show is great, they play a lot of in between evolution songs on that night...there are also some weird animated gord downie things on there, the book is great. GET IT.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    go get the box set...its great to have all the videos and the show is great, they play a lot of in between evolution songs on that night...there are also some weird animated gord downie things on there, the book is great. GET IT.

There's also a cool documentary on the bonus disc called "Macroscopic", which is much more 'arty' than your usual documentary. I think it's a pretty unique look at the band. You also get a few instrumental/spoken-word tracks set against some really trippy visual backdrops. And of course the live DVD is awesome. Long story short, if you're a fan of the band, ya can't go wrong with Hipeponymous. $40 is a great price. Go get it.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    The Hip to start recording again. Great news, hopefully a new album later next year.
  • Options
    i think i'll spring for it. i'll sell my old yer favourites and grab this bad boy. it just looks so cool :)
  • Options
    I only just got That Night In Toronto a couple of weeks ago... only had a chance to watch it once so far, but now i have a craving.... :)
  • Options
    hip! :)
  • Options
    hip! :)

I second that.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Soupy wrote:
    The Hip to start recording again. Great news, hopefully a new album later next year.

they are an absolute machine 20 years deep into their career! amazing.

I HAVE BEEN ON A MASSIVE DAY FOR NIGHT BINGE LATELY.....Superb album, their best?
  • Options
    they are an absolute machine 20 years deep into their career! amazing.

I HAVE BEEN ON A MASSIVE DAY FOR NIGHT BINGE LATELY.....Superb album, their best?

I still think Day for Night is their definitive masterpiece. They have yet to top it in my opinion. Although, Phantom Power and World Container both came really close. DFN was the sound of the Hip stretching out their artistic legs and trying new things. I remember lining up at midnight at HMV to buy it on release day. I got it home, excitedly threw it on the stereo and cranked it up nice and loud. On first listen it wasn't as instantly catchy or accessible as their previous records, and it took me quite a few spins to fully absorb it. But once I did, I became absolutely addicted to it. I played the shit out of that album for an entire year and completely wore out my cassette copy, so I had to go buy again on CD. I'm now on my 3rd copy of the album (my 2nd copy was stolen from a house party).

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I still think Day for Night is their definitive masterpiece. They have yet to top it in my opinion. Although, Phantom Power and World Container both came really close. DFN was the sound of the Hip stretching out their artistic legs and trying new things. I remember lining up at midnight at HMV to buy it on release day. I got it home, excitedly threw it on the stereo and cranked it up nice and loud. On first listen it wasn't as instantly catchy or accessible as their previous records, and it took me quite a few spins to fully absorb it. But once I did, I became absolutely addicted to it. I played the shit out of that album for an entire year and completely wore out my cassette copy, so I had to go buy again on CD. I'm now on my 3rd copy of the album (my 2nd copy was stolen from a house party).

it was always one of my favorites as well. phantom power is close, but i think a lot of that is it was the first hip album i ever heard so it holds a special place for me. but i always thought day for night was their strongest and most consistent album.
  • Options
    RWRW Posts: 97
  • Options
    Cool Hip poster for sale here:

http://www.gigposters.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=5369&pre=1

Has anyone here been to the gallery show?

That's a great poster.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Cool Hip poster for sale here:

http://www.gigposters.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=5369&pre=1

Has anyone here been to the gallery show?

awesome! thanks for posting that... i might think about grabbing one of those...

i didn't get a chance to see the gallery show... wish i had though... it was only on for a few weeks i think, and i didn't make it down to the distillery to see it. :(