Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    i hope they throw some crazy shit in the kingston setlist...

greasy jungle or

ANYTHING

off in between evolution would be nice
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Setlist- Kingston, ON, 02/23/08:

Rink
    NOIS
    Fully
    Grace
    Good Life
    ABAC
    In View
    Pigeon
    Courage
    World
    Fiddler's
    Fireworks
    50 MC
    Poets
    Bob C.
    Ocean
    Meridian
    38 Years
    Family B.
    Music
    Blow
    Locked (w/ Dan Aykroyd on harmonica)
    Wheat
    Verge
    Bones

Very similar to the Brockville setlist, but it's great seeing Pigeon Camera, 50 Mission Cap, and On the Verge in there. Must have been a killer show!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    yeah 50 mission cap! nice....looks like a good one....bring on more shows.

HIP HIP HIP HIP HIP!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Before the Kingston show, Robby did a short interview with the Kingston Whig-Standard and mentioned that they're working with Bob Rock again for the next album. He said it'll most likely be out before the end of the year. These guys just never stop working, and that's why I love 'em. Can't wait to hear some new material.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    wow that kingston setlist is nice! need to get the boot of that
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    yeah 50 mission cap! nice....looks like a good one....bring on more shows.

HIP HIP HIP HIP HIP!

ditto what restlesssoul said!! :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    kingston was indeed awesome
    it was pretty much a greatest hits show

never seen so many old people at a show before haha

only way it would have been perfect was if they played nautical disaster :(
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    hodge wrote:
    kingston was indeed awesome
    it was pretty much a greatest hits show

never seen so many old people at a show before haha

only way it would have been perfect was if they played nautical disaster :(

The Hip's fans are typically people in their late 20s/early 30s, but at some shows I've noticed that their fanbase actually spans all different ages, which is pretty cool. At the Seattle show last summer the crowd was a mix of 40-somethings, 30-somethings, a bunch of college kids, and even a few teenagers.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    The Hip's fans are typically people in their late 20s/early 30s, but at some shows I've noticed that their fanbase actually spans all different ages, which is pretty cool. At the Seattle show last summer the crowd was a mix of 40-somethings, 30-somethings, a bunch of college kids, and even a few teenagers.

at the marymoor show it was a much older crowd.....
  • Options
    Arena launch a Hip affair
    Band christens K-Rock with mix of old and new
    Lynn Saxberg, The Ottawa Citizen
    Published: Tuesday, February 26, 2008

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/arts/story.html?id=c202b378-f6fa-4a4f-8560-a79f3042d93b

For a Tragically Hip fan, Saturday night in Kingston was nirvana. The beloved Canadian rock band played its first hometown arena show since the last millennium, opening the city's mini-stadium with an epic greatest-hits concert that went on for nearly two and a half hours and featured a celebrity appearance by their old friend, Dan Aykroyd.

The actor, vintner and tequila mogul was on hand to welcome the folks on this historic occasion, and introduce his favourite Canadian rock band. Happily for music fans, the Elwood Blues side of him couldn't resist the opportunity to sit in with the band for an encore. More about that later.

First, some background. On paper, Kingston's sparkling new sports complex, newly dubbed the K-Rock Centre, was built as a home for the Frontenacs hockey team, but it was no secret the city also had a dire need for a decent venue for touring bands. At the crumbling old Memorial Centre, the reverb was said to be so fierce that a rock concert might have brought the place down.

Shoehorned onto a prime piece of downtown real estate, the new arena is like a miniaturized version of Scotiabank Place or Toronto's Air Canada Centre, the upper levels lopped off. It's cosy, but because the ice surface is a standard size, the back end of the rink, opposite the stage, could be a far off, lonely place.

Not on Saturday, of course, when every one of the 6,877 seats was filled with a screaming fan, or the offspring of a screaming fan. Lonely End of the Rink, a musical snapshot of a common sight in arenas across the country, made the perfect opening song. The same parents who take their kids to hockey practice were now dragging them along to a Hip concert.

Lonely is a relatively new song from the most recent disc, World Container, and if it didn't grab some of the greyer heads in the crowd, the next stretch of tunes was irresistible. Hitting stride early, the band dove headlong into their anthemic breakthrough hit, New Orleans is Sinking, floored it through another early '90s rocker, Fully Completely, before completing the vintage-Hip trilogy with the magnificent, sprawling Grace, Too.

Eccentric singer Gord Downie appeared thoroughly absorbed with his job of delivering the songs to the people, but at times the music inspired him in ever more bizarre ways. He used the microphone stand as a metal detector (to detect gold in them thar hits?), climbed the monitors along the edge of the stage, writhed around on the stage floor singing, waved a white hanky and eventually broke the defenseless mike stand.

Although some of his antics seemed pretty far out, that's typical on-stage behaviour for Downie. Just when you're starting to wonder if he's missing a few marbles, the performing trance snaps with a totally lucid comment.

"Here's one for Bob Lovelace," Downie declared early in the concert, showing serious support for the Algonquin chief in jail for protesting a uranium mining company's claim on land near Clarendon Station (worrisomely close to the site of the Blue Skies Music Festival). The song was It's a Good Life (if You Don't Weaken).

Through the upbeat Ahead by a Century, the perky In View, the unexpected Pigeon Camera and a glorious singalong on Courage, the pace built again, the barrage of rock created by five guys who have known each other for years. The rhythm section of drummer Johnny Fay and bassist Gord Sinclair played hard, while electric guitarists Rob Baker and Paul Langlois dug into their instruments.

Exactly at the point in the show when the opening-night challenges of missing tickets and long lineups and no parking had been forgotten, Downie brought us back to earth. "What a dump," he said, to a roar of laughter. "I'm kidding -- welcome to your new home."

The last hour or so was an emotional roller-coaster, the pendulum swinging from a teary Fiddler's Green to the sizzling Fireworks, from the contemplative Bobcaygeon to the delirious 100th Meridian. Also included in the home stretch were important early songs such as 38 Years Old, Blow at High Dough, Wheat Kings and the show-closer Little Bones.

Kingston's most famous son, Aykroyd, joined the boys during the encore, honking out some of his greasiest licks on harp, adding an even scarier dimension to Locked in the Trunk of a Car.

The sound was loud and fairly clear, not overpowering for the size of the room, and there were two big screens flanking the stage, an expense that hardly seemed necessary given that every seat is fairly close to the stage. Every seat is also fairly close to every other seat, by the way, so leg room might be an issue at a sit-down performance.

The best thing about the new venue had nothing to do with sightlines or acoustics. It was the location, a short walk from hotels, restaurants, pubs and the waterfront. Instead of spending an hour jockeying to get out of the parking lot at Scotiabank Place after the concert, in Kingston you can migrate a block or so west and nip into a pub.

Because of the size limitations, the U2s and Rolling Stones of the rock world probably aren't going to be playing in Kingston. But acts from Anne Murray to George Thorogood are already booked, and more are expected for the summer. Bring them on -- it's never too early to start planning a road trip.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    *bump*

New show announced! The Hip are playing the Pemberton Festival this summer in Pemberton, B.C., and I'll bet they'll be debuting some new songs. Check out this lineup. Can you say ROAD TRIP!

Coldplay
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    Nine Inch Nails
    Flaming Lips
    The Tragically Hip
    Interpol
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Serj Tankian
    Jay-Z
    My Morning Jacket
    Metric
    Sam Roberts Band
    Vampire Weekend
    Black Mountain
    Minus The Bear
    Wintersleep
    Buck 65
    Secret Machines
    MGMT
    Brazillian Girls
    SIA
    Fiery Furnaces
    Mates of State
    The Airborne Toxic Event
    Carolina Liar
    Grand Ole Party
    Monte Negro
    Low Vs Diamond
    Annie Stela
    The Crystal Method
    DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    Junkie XL
    David Seaman
    Booka Shade
    MSTRKRFT
    M.A.N.D.Y.
    Tommie Sunshine
    Chromeo
    Deadmau5
    3 OH! 3
    Kevin Shiu
    Timeline
    Tony Pantages

http://www.pembertonfestival.com/lineup/index.aspx

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Still mad at the Hip for no Fiddler's Green x5 US shows, damnit. Even front row at the Who concert with a sign, they chuckled! But Johnny Fay did walk his drum sticks out to me at the end of their set *big grin* =))))
    Just me
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    omg.... this pemberton festival is looking AMAZING!!

i think this will high up on my list of things to do this summer.... :D
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    omg.... this pemberton festival is looking AMAZING!!

i think this will high up on my list of things to do this summer.... :D

hell yeah, civ eng...wintersleep and the hip...i am soooo stoked...im am biting the bullet and going VIP...cuz hey, im on vacation!
  • Options
    the hip are good. world container has grown on me over the past year.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    the hip are good. world container has grown on me over the past year.

did you take your name from the hip song of the same name?
  • Options
    did you take your name from the hip song of the same name?

yes.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    hey there, i found this a while back in a pawn shop, thought i would post a pic of it....

its vhs

HEKSENKETEL

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/restlesssoulbdp/IMG_4906.jpg
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I absolutely love this band now. I've only been listening to them for a few weeks, but everytime I finish an album, I have to go out and get another one. I pretty much have their whole discography now and just can't stop listening to them. They remind me a lot of PJ in many ways.

Amazing band is all I can say. I need to see them live sometime-- Live in Between is a great album.
  • Options
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    hell yeah, civ eng...wintersleep and the hip...i am soooo stoked...im am biting the bullet and going VIP...cuz hey, im on vacation!

nice!! i looked at the VIP tix too....

hmmmm..... must start pestering friends to come with me.... :p
  • Options
    I absolutely love this band now. I've only been listening to them for a few weeks, but everytime I finish an album, I have to go out and get another one. I pretty much have their whole discography now and just can't stop listening to them. They remind me a lot of PJ in many ways.

Amazing band is all I can say. I need to see them live sometime-- Live in Between is a great album.

Welcome! I officially declare you a fellow "Hiphead". It's always great to see people discovering the genius of this band for the first time. Wait 'till you see them live. You'll be hooked for life. Some cool websites to check out if you haven't already:

http://www.thehip.com (their official site)
    http://www.hipmuseum.com (best fan site ever made. You'll be surfing around there for hours)
    http://www.hipfans.com
    http://www.thehiptracker.com (best place to go for live bootlegs)

Also, if you do a search for the Hip on Youtube, you can find hundreds of great live clips.

Enjoy!

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Welcome! I officially declare you a fellow "Hiphead". It's always great to see people discovering the genius of this band for the first time. Wait 'till you see them live. You'll be hooked for life. Some cool websites to check out if you haven't already:

http://www.thehip.com (their official site)
    http://www.hipmuseum.com (best fan site ever made. You'll be surfing around there for hours)
    http://www.hipfans.com
    http://www.thehiptracker.com (best place to go for live bootlegs)

Also, if you do a search for the Hip on Youtube, you can find hundreds of great live clips.

Enjoy!
    Wow, thanks. Those are awesome sites. I'll have to check em out today...

man this band needs to tour more this year though...=/
  • Options
    Hey Folks,

Spring has sprung and we are excited to share our latest news.

We have begun recording our follow up to World Container. We will be spending much of the spring and summer with our good friend Bob Rock who is at the helm once again.

That being said, we will take a few breaks in the recording process along the way...

First will be a visit to Rideau Hall in Ottawa this May where we will be honoured with the 2008 National Arts Centre Award at a gala for the Governor General's Performing Arts Awards.

We will also pause to celebrate the summer outdoors with some of our friends and favourites.

On Saturday June 21st we will be performing at Big Music Fest in Belleville, Ontario. Joining us will be the Sam Roberts Band, Sarah Harmer and Attack In Black. The show is at Zwick's Park. Presale for Registered Users of thehip.com starts this Wednesday April 2nd at 10:00am. Public onsale starts Friday April 4th at 10:00am. Tickets are $49.50.

Visit http://www.thehip.com for all the details on the presale and public onsale.

On Saturday July 26th we will hit the west coast to play the inaugural Pemberton Festival. This is a great 3-day lineup featuring Coldplay, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Nine Inch Nails, Jay-Z and many more.

Tickets for Pemberton are on sale now and available at the festival website. Visit the site for all festival details at http://www.pembertonfestival.com.

-The Hip

NEW ALBUM with BOB ROCK again!!! awesome news.
  • Options
    SoupySoupy Posts: 171

NEW ALBUM

Hurray!

with BOB ROCK again!!! awesome news.

Meh.

Prefer if they went with someone else. I like WC enough as a one off Hip Pop record, but I'd prefer more substance next time round.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Why do all good concerts have to be in June? I think I'll be able to attend, but add that to a few PJ shows, Bonnaroo, a DMB road trip and REM..ouch, that's a lot of music in 1 month.
  • Options
    Soupy wrote:
    Hurray!

Meh.

Prefer if they went with someone else. I like WC enough as a one off Hip Pop record, but I'd prefer more substance next time round.

I agree it was certainly a more pop-oriented record than their previous efforts, mostly due to the inclusion of "In View", "Pretend" and "World Container". But let's not forget, Bob Rock didn't write those songs. The Hip did. The only thing Bob did was add a little extra gloss to the recording process. When the album first came out, I mistakenly assumed that Bob had a hand in creating the sugary-sweet pop rock of "In View", but when I checked the liner notes, all I found was the usual "all songs written & performed by The Tragically Hip". The cool thing about this band is that you never know what you're gonna get from album to album. This next record could be a full-on punk rock album for all we know. (wouldn't that be cool?)

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    The Tragically Hip to Headline Virgin Music Festival Calgary

Posted on: 04/08/2008

June 22, 2008: Calgary; Virgin Festival 2008: Fort Calgary

Virgin Music Festival Calgary - 2008The Tragically Hip, Mathew Good, City and Colour, Stars, Constantines, The New Pornographers, Attack in Black, Ten Second Epic, the Spades & The Whitsundays

June 21, 2008
    Stone Temple Pilots, The Flaming Lips, Three Days Grace, Corb Lund, The Dudes, Pride Tiger & Crash Parallel

Tickets:
    Presale 2 Day tickets: $115
    2 day general onsale: $125
    Single day: $75.50

Presale for thehip.com registered users:
    April 9th 10am- April 11th 5pm
    Note: Ticket presale will offer TwoDay tickets Only

Public onsale: Saturday April 12th at 10:00AM

Online: http://www.virginfestival.ca/calgary
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    On Saturday June 21st we will be performing at Big Music Fest in Belleville, Ontario. Joining us will be the Sam Roberts Band, Sarah Harmer and Attack In Black. The show is at Zwick's Park. Presale for Registered Users of thehip.com starts this Wednesday April 2nd at 10:00am. Public onsale starts Friday April 4th at 10:00am. Tickets are $49.50.

Visit http://www.thehip.com for all the details on the presale and public onsale.

i be goin' to belleville....

a warm up before pemberton?? i hope so! :)
  • Options
    bharQ wrote:
    The Tragically Hip to Headline Virgin Music Festival Calgary

Posted on: 04/08/2008

June 22, 2008: Calgary; Virgin Festival 2008: Fort Calgary

Virgin Music Festival Calgary - 2008The Tragically Hip, Mathew Good, City and Colour, Stars, Constantines, The New Pornographers, Attack in Black, Ten Second Epic, the Spades & The Whitsundays

June 21, 2008
    Stone Temple Pilots, The Flaming Lips, Three Days Grace, Corb Lund, The Dudes, Pride Tiger & Crash Parallel

Tickets:
    Presale 2 Day tickets: $115
    2 day general onsale: $125
    Single day: $75.50

Presale for thehip.com registered users:
    April 9th 10am- April 11th 5pm
    Note: Ticket presale will offer TwoDay tickets Only

Public onsale: Saturday April 12th at 10:00AM

Online: http://www.virginfestival.ca/calgary

Sweetness! I wasn't sure if the boys were going to hit Cowtown this summer. Day 2 definitely has the better lineup.

-Tom Waits