LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Classy move move by Pavel...with that being said #24 should never have been worn after Probert wore it and certainly not after Chelios. #24 should now be retired...not hung from the rafters retired...just never allowed to be worn by anyone again...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    Classy move move by Pavel...with that being said #24 should never have been worn after Probert wore it and certainly not after Chelios. #24 should now be retired...not hung from the rafters retired...just never allowed to be worn by anyone again...
    Also agreed!
    MLMF Det
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS601OwDGhalfSmBX20iezFZ50kw61lH1PulQZykn92_Z0H_s_svA
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQtqOdJgnf6z8v6_19epVvrvebXtTZJMSICnJryrGcZhNY7-y5

22!!! Ah, Ah, Ah, Ahhhh ...
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    numero23.png
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    good game today, strong effort vs the Sharks who were playing tough

23 straight home wins is flipping amazing
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    23 :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap::clap:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Well damn, they just lost in a shoot out to end the streak. :cry:

Oh well, ain't nothing wrong with 23 strait home game wins.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Fucking Canucks
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Sorry....

:ugeek:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    great game
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Agreed, I always love watching Wings / Canucks games because it's all skill and none of the cheap stuff (mostly)
    Good job at the end by that Canuck player of skating-in-place to draw that final icing in regulation. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.
    DETROIT FREE PRESS
    Shawn Burr Vs. Cancer: My Money's On Burr

By Mitch Albom

Published: 02/27/2011

Last Monday - less than a week ago - Shawn Burr was a free man. He saw his daughter's game, he came home, he made a shake with pomegranate seeds, something his wife had purchased at Costco.

Next day, he felt funny. His tongue developed red spots. "The seeds," he figured. He also was exhausted. He went to the doctor. While there, he began to sweat. They sent him to the hospital. Blood was taken. When another doctor said, "We need to check something," Shawn turned to his wife, Amanda, and said, "This isn't good news. Did you see his face?"

It wasn't good news. Burr, 44, was helicoptered from Port Huron to the University of Michigan Medical Center with a blood count that was as lopsided as a bankruptcy budget.

On Thursday, three days from the pomegranate shake, he underwent the first of 21 chemotherapy treatments for acute myeloid leukemia, a bone marrow cancer in which abnormal white cells attack normal cells like a 3-on-1 hockey rush.

If you know Shawn Burr, you just want to cry.

And if you know Shawn Burr, he just wants to laugh.

A love for the game

"I'm gonna be who I always am," he said via phone from his hospital bed. "I don't want to die, but I'm not planning on that. I've got a great team here. Besides, in this ward, I've got more hair than anybody."

Laugh. Cry. You want to shake the tree of fairness. You want to shout, "Not Shawn Burr!" Not the biggest heart to ever pull on a Red Wings sweater. He wasn't the fastest or most gifted, but he threw himself at the game like a lovesick teenager. He played 11 years for the Wings, made some great plays, made some impassioned hits and made everyone feel better about being alive.

Like the time he painted his hair red and white in the playoffs - and everyone else followed. Like the time he screened a Nicklas Lidstrom overtime playoff goal, then said, "Good thing I have a big rear end." Like the time someone asked about female reporters in the locker room, and he said, "I think the fairest thing is if everyone took their clothes off."

Laugh. Cry. You would routinely see Burr with tears in his eyes when the Wings' season ended. You would see him choke up if he spoke about his kids. The Lord gave him a boy's face to play a boy's game, and while he thickened out over the years the face remained the same, illuminated, a Huckleberry smile, framed by a haircut out of a 1950s barbershop.

Not Shawn Burr, you whisper. Not this fast. Less than a week? From home to chemo?

"When I look back, I'd been tired a lot lately," Burr said. "Playing racquetball or skating in alumni games, I'd be so winded. I said to Bill Evo, ‘Is there a point where you just lose it?'"

Let that be the last of the word "lose."

Keeping the right attitude

This can be a winnable battle for Burr, but make no mistake, it's like a wild card entering the playoffs: a long road with a lot of rounds. The 21 chemo treatments, Burr says, essentially will break him down to his foundations, then they will try to build him up healthy. He may need a bone marrow transplant. And it's gonna hurt like hell.

"They needed a sample from my hips, and after three tries, the doc said, ‘I'm gonna have to get the big boy needle' cause my butt was so thick, so thanks to Scotty Bowman for sitting me on the bench all those years."

Laugh. Cry.

Why, as you get older, is there always another round of bad news, another face, forever youthful in your mind, suddenly calling from a hospital? You want to freeze time. You want to hold when Burr was jumping after a goal, giggling like a hyena, shoving teammates playfully, telling one bad pun after another. Not this. Not Shawn Burr in a hospital bed.

"Aw, knowing me," he joked, "I'm gonna be the first person to ever gain weight through chemotherapy. Also, I know it didn't have anything to do with it - but I'm never eating another pomegranate seed in my life."

Pull out the prayers. Pull them over your head like an old No.11 sweater, and pray that this story ends the way most Shawn Burr stories ended, with people laughing and shaking their heads. Laugh. Cry. But please not in that order.

Hope Shawn Burr wins this battle.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

21 straight years in the playoffs pretty impressive...even more impressive is the fact that for a good majority of those 21 years the wings were probably a contender to win it all.

Now if the wings had went out back in the early 90's and put a premium on getting a really good young goalie those 4 cups could have easily been 8 or 9...just seems like opportunity lost.

Either way very impressive 21 straight years...as for this year they may be in tough. They've been bad on the road all year...they'll probably have home ice advantage in round 1.

They are pretty banged-up right now. They need to get healthy to make a run in the playoffs.
    Jason P wrote:
    They are pretty banged-up right now. They need to get healthy to make a run in the playoffs.

other teams are banged up...probably most teams are banged up at this time of the year...I think inconsistency is more the problem...Zetterberg and Franzen can disappear for games on end, if those 2 are not more consistent in the playoffs it could be a short run. I think Pittsburgh might be the team to beat...a 100 point team playing most of the season without the best player in the world...he comes back just before the playoffs and it looks like he's been playing all year.

Really thought dumping a 1st round pick for Quincy was a bad trade. I was expecting them to add more grit. I never thought defense was their problem...consistency scoring and grit seems to be of more concern.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Really thought dumping a 1st round pick for Quincy was a bad trade. I was expecting them to add more grit. I never thought defense was their problem...consistency scoring and grit seems to be of more concern.
    I think they were looking ahead with the expected departure of Brad Stuart after this season.
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Go Wings Go!

Yzerman, tie the skates back on and get out there.....
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    Nami wrote:
    Go Wings Go!

I wouldn't go that far...
    MLMF Det
    Nami wrote:
    Go Wings Go!

I wouldn't go that far...

:lol: Love that guy...awesome cat all around
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Source: Nicklas Lidstrom to retire

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/79892 ... e-thursday

I'm a little surprised. I thought for sure he'd be back next year. Not a huge wings fan, but no Lidstrom is a gigantic hole even at 42. I really appreciated what he meant when he missed several weeks with his foot injury, the wings struggled immensely and never found their grove after that.

Major rebuilding job on the back end this off season with Stuart likely gone...no guarantees Suter will come to Detroit. It will be interesting.

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Well it's official, Lidstrom is retired. Congrats on the great career, and on being the first European-born player to captain a team to the Cup. 100% first ballot Hall of Famer.
    Well it's official, Lidstrom is retired. Congrats on the great career, and on being the first European-born player to captain a team to the Cup. 100% first ballot Hall of Famer.

Best post of the year!

:clap:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    congrats to lidstrom on an amzing career ...much respect
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    I think he saw that there was a need to rebuild and at 42 wasn't going to commit to long season without thinking there was a huge chance at success in the playoffs. The Wings D will be thinned out now Lidstrom gone, Stuart will likely be gone...maybe they can haul in Suter...I expect him to have his choice of many teams so him going to Detroit is no guarantee.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    top 5 all time ... congrats to lidstrom for not only being a great player all these years but be a class act (as far as i can tell) ...
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    dude has always been a beast, but i don't understand why he couldn't have waited to make an announcement after the finals?
    :cry::cry::cry:
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I don't think the Wings will be in any trouble next year. Yeah, they're losing one of the best all-time D-men (who is irreplaceable), but they're a smart organization with LOTS of money available next season. A lot of players in the league would kill to play for such an organization, so I think they'll be able to work something out. They will make the playoffs like they always do, however they may not not be as dominant next season.