Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    just saw....Rouille et D os aka Rust And Bone..

love it..very stronge movie..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    The Cabin in The Woods :thumbup:

Into The Abyss :thumbdown: Sorry Werner but your latest film sucks)
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    I saw "Angel Heart" for the first time the other night. Holy shit!

And "7 Psychopaths" last night. I thought it was hilarious.
  • Options
    the campaign..ok..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Flight: 6.5/10 My main problem with this film is the predictability of it all - granted a lot of films are but in this particular case there are certain elements that really hurt the overall execution of this film. Outside of it - the acting is great which is what carries this film.

Skyfall: 7/10 Producers tried to bring back a bit of the campiness of Bond and that I think failed in the grand scheme of things but this latest batch of bond movies has succeeded in their casting. Daniel Craig has got to be a solid #2 if not #1 on most people's list of best Bonds. Javier Bardem - this guy fucking rocks as a bad guy. He just exudes fucking evil like not many actors have done. My main problem with the movie was the realm of fiction was stretched to the absolute limit meaning - you had to let go of so many absurdities to follow this movie and it gets to a point where it becomes a bit too stupid. It was borderline for me - thankfully Craig and Bardem are just brilliant in their respective roles.
  • Options
    looper...good movie
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Recently saw "Living Proof". Harry Connick Jr. stars in this true story movie/bio about Dr. Dennis Slamon's long difficult struggle to win FDA approval for Herceptin. Slamon's dedicated work has saved thousands of lives. Though not really a five star movie, I liked it very much, especially as it is hugely inspiring and hopeful.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,982
    polaris_x wrote:
    Flight: 6.5/10 My main problem with this film is the predictability of it all - granted a lot of films are but in this particular case there are certain elements that really hurt the overall execution of this film. Outside of it - the acting is great which is what carries this film.

Saw Flight tonight. Yeah it was pretty predictable. YOu are spot on when you say the acting carries the film. Denzel should at least get nominated for an Oscar for his role.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,088
    Saw Argo today. I work nights mostly and from home, so I was able to see it during the day for 5.50. It was really well-done and an interesting plot
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Just saw 'The Sessions' at the theatre - highly recommend if you like character-driven, story-driven dramas (maybe the AET crowd is not the key demographic?! :lol: ) with lots of light relief and laughs. Helen Hunt, William H. Macy were both wonderful... and HH was beyond brave!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Just saw 'The Sessions' at the theatre - highly recommend if you like character-driven, story-driven dramas (maybe the AET crowd is not the key demographic?! :lol: ) with lots of light relief and laughs. Helen Hunt, William H. Macy were both wonderful... and HH was beyond brave!
    That looks really good. That's four movies I need to see now.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options

ive wanted to see this since i heard about it at sundance. Im most interested in John Hawkes, who has been getting serious oscar buzz, and could see him, DDL and Joaquin Phoenix in a heated race for best actor.

John Hawkes has been on a hell of a run lately. Winters bone and Martha Marcy May marlene, one year after the next, and now the sessions. He is one of the most interesting actors out there. Both his roles in Winters and Martha were brilliant and creepy
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    I watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" last night.

I liked it very much. Entertaining as hell.
  • Options
    Watched 3 in the last two days.

Yesterday:

"Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" - early, early Scorsese and different from what you'd expect from him. 7.5/10

"The Boxer" - Daniel Day-Lewis as a former IRA boxer who was in prison for 14 years and is out. Re-opens the gym he used to train at. Very, very good film. 9/10

Today:

"Lincoln" - Just give Daniel Day-Lewis the Oscar now. Fantastic movie and will be getting a lot of Oscar nominations. Made you feel like you were there in 1865. Can't help but have your eyes get a little watery at the end. 10/10
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805

ive wanted to see this since i heard about it at sundance. Im most interested in John Hawkes, who has been getting serious oscar buzz, and could see him, DDL and Joaquin Phoenix in a heated race for best actor.

John Hawkes has been on a hell of a run lately. Winters bone and Martha Marcy May marlene, one year after the next, and now the sessions. He is one of the most interesting actors out there. Both his roles in Winters and Martha were brilliant and creepy

John Hawkes' performance was completely engaging - I will have to see those other movies you mention. I'm sorry to admit that I didn't pay attention to his name as the lead actor... just happy to see a great film :)

Saw the trailer for 'The Master' - anyone seen this? Is it worth my $16.50?
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Newch91 wrote:
    "Lincoln" - Just give Daniel Day-Lewis the Oscar now. Fantastic movie and will be getting a lot of Oscar nominations. Made you feel like you were there in 1865. Can't help but have your eyes get a little watery at the end. 10/10

Cool, Im looking forward to that one..

16.50?! Jeebus.
    I think I'll reinstate my theater protest in lieu of these insane prices. Its not quite that high here yet, but its getting out of control...at least I can still smuggle in a beer and some snacks.

I was thinking of seeing Life of Pi tomorrow night.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Cool, Im looking forward to that one..

16.50?! Jeebus.
    I think I'll reinstate my theater protest in lieu of these insane prices. Its not quite that high here yet, but its getting out of control...at least I can still smuggle in a beer and some snacks.

I was thinking of seeing Life of Pi tomorrow night.
    At the theater I went to yesterday for "Lincoln", Matinee is $8, night is $10, and the senior citizen discount is $5, which I somehow got yesterday when I went. I was the only one in my age group in the theater. I didn't say anything.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    At the theater I went to yesterday for "Lincoln", Matinee is $8, night is $10, and the senior citizen discount is $5, which I somehow got yesterday when I went. I was the only one in my age group in the theater. I didn't say anything.

Cool...I had my Univ. of FLorida student ID for about ten years after I graduated...so I guess I shouldnt complain, I was able to save some dough from the student discount on lots of flicks. Hmm, now maybe I put some gray in my beard and find a cane... ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Saw Silver Linings Playbook tonight. It was very good. Highly recommened especially for all you philly people out there :D Filmed mainly outside philly in Delco. It was a great story and the acting was pretty damn good.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Life of Pi was a visual masterpiece..go see it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454876/
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    Life of Pi was a visual masterpiece..go see it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454876/

I agree. It was amazing. Especially in 3D. First movie i've seen in awhile where I wouldnt mind seeing it again, and am looking forward tot he Blu ray release to see the extras and how they created it.
  • Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    Jason P wrote:
    I watched MacGruber for the first time this last weekend. The premise looked dumb and I didn't have high expectations, but it was actually really, really funny.

seriously? MacGruber. no, seriously? I heard it was one of the worst films ever made.

MacGruber is by far the funniest SNL skit movie ever made. I laugh hard every time I watch it. The first time I watched it I had to leave the room because it started to hurt. Tears were rolling down my face.

THE MOST UNDERRATED MOVIE OF ALL TIME
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    Saw Killing Them Softly tonight. I didn't care for it at all. First 15 minutes I thought were lame and after that I lost interest. Brad Pitt couldn't really save this film. There were some cool parts but overall just wait for it to come out on dvd/blu-ray.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    people like us

good movie!
  • Options
    some movies i saw recently

Sessions (6.5) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_sessions/
    Overall this was a good movie about an interesting subject. Some good performances all around - My only beef was that there character development on the main character was a bit lacking and that the film relied on a the audience to accept this man was compelling enough outside of his disability.

Lincoln (6) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lincoln_2011/
    Film starts out very slow and I think it runs a bit too long as it really just is about Abe passing the 13th amendment. Tommy Lee Jones is wonderful. Daniel Day Lewis is brilliant as ever. Sally Field was a bit too much for me. I think this film failed for me in that it tried to do too much (almost like it was trying too hard to win an oscar)

Life of Pi (7) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/life-of-pi/
    As others have said - visually stunning. If you are going to see it - do so in a nice theatre. I saw it in 3D with the Atmos sound and it gave the film added life. The real star of this movie is Richard Parker (the tiger). From what I remember about the book - it was mostly a journey and story that was meant to make you question life and the role of faith. It is the central theme of the film but I think those who have read the book will pick up on that more so than someone who hadn't.

Silver Linings Playbook (8) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/silver_ ... _playbook/
    This film hit a lot of notes. Wonderful performances and a smart script. Jennifer Lawrence and the mom (whoever she is) were especially great. I would have liked to seen more introspective from the father (de niro) but overall it was a great film. I can understand why it won the people's choice award for best film at TIFF. Great date movie (especially for any philly folks on here) and doubly especially for eagles (football not band) fans.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Cassablanca.....sure lets give it a whirl
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Classic
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Newch91 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Classic
    Solid movie
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Lawless = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Options